Coby's thread of portraits.

CobyTheGoober

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're still doing the nose thing. The hair is really weird, I realize you're going for the 80s hair they had in 4, but it's pretty weird looking. His part needs to be moved farther to our left as his head, his head is too short where he doesn't have super floof hair. The split also goes way too high up his forehead. The body and armor is really messy, the perpective is hard to read, his near pauldron looks straight on but then his body is ay an angle that the chestplate doesn't really reflect very well. The trim isn't shaded properly, on a lot of it the top edge has darker shading than the bottom which is the opposite of what it should be.

Your eyes are pretty good

• 4 weeks later...

These aren't too shabby! That said i do have some thoughts.

Mug1: He looks like he has a very large top half of his head, and his ear is enormously high up. Either his face is too low on his head, or his hair should be moved down. The body is pretty nice, though the near shoulder looks to be shaded a bit too roundly.

Mug2: The face, especially the nose doesn't look quite right.

Mug3: He has pretty chunky hair, and the fur doesn't look fluffy enough for its volume. I like the armor shoulder

Mug 4: His hair is even worse, very flat and chunky

Mug5: This guy looks pretty good. Only weak parts I see are the clasp and shoulder pad side of the cape, it looks less voluminous in those areas than over the other shoulder.

I'd say overall your biggest problems are in hair. The first one looks overcomplicated and has some chunky lines and some nonsensical lines, especially back behind the ear. The second could use some smoother lines. The third is too "round" I guess. The hair looks really round and chunky instead of looking like hair. The 4th one it doesn't look like you tried on the hair. The last one's hair is pretty good, not overcomplicated and the lines are pretty smooth.

If you're able, I always find it helpful to flip the canvas to face the other direction once in a while when making faces and stuff to make sure they look OK. You can get so used to seeing a face from a certain direction (like facing left) that you don't really notice issues, so flipping it so it faces the opposite direction can give you a view of potential jarring problems with proportions or placement of facial features/hair/shoulders/pretty much anything.

Anything that I would've said critique-wise, Tao has already said.

Oh, I really like the design on the third one (the red, white, gold, and teal look good together). He reminds me of Al.

If you're able, I always find it helpful to flip the canvas to face the other direction once in a while when making faces and stuff to make sure they look OK. You can get so used to seeing a face from a certain direction (like facing left) that you don't really notice issues, so flipping it so it faces the opposite direction can give you a view of potential jarring problems with proportions or placement of facial features/hair/shoulders/pretty much anything.

I try to keep that in mind whenever i sprite. And during the making of these portraits, I didn't see anything to wrong when flipped, but that's why I sent these out to serenes, so others can poke at the things that could improve, that I couldn't have seen.

• 2 weeks later...

The hair on Zero is better, still rough in places, but better. On closer inspection, it is definitely his face that is too low on his head. You need to move his eyes up a good 2 or 3 pixels and maybe the nose up a bit too.

Henry's hair looks pretty good, his face and hand are definitely off though. How close did you ref the original mug?

• 2 weeks later...