Favorite Hoenn Starter Pokémon

ruadath

62 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Hoenn starter Pokémon?

• Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip

What is yours?

Mine has and always will be Torchic, not only because Blaziken looks the coolest and has the best moveset, but also because (as far as I know), Torchic is the only one capable of completing a Solo No Random Battles (except to recruit a flier/diver + Zigzagoon) challenge.

While Treecko was my first, Mudkip was the most reliable to me and I haven't looked back every since, so Mudkip wins slightly over Treecko (whom I also really like). I haven't really liked Torchic, even though it's my favorite of the Fire Starters.

Mudkip. I haven't really tried either of the other two, though that might have more to do with the fact that good water substitutes for Mudkip early on are virtually nonexistent. Also, it's just more effective overall than either of the other two (IMHO, at least).

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I'm not a fan of any of them either, though Torchic is kind of cute. But I hate its evolutions while Sceptile is pretty cool, especially when Mega evolved, so Treecko wins for me.

Edited by Anacybele

but also because (as far as I know), Torchic is the only one capable of completing a Solo No Random Battles (except to recruit a flier/diver + Zigzagoon) challenge.

And why is that?

Edited by Refa

I LIEK MUDKIPZ.

MUD....

KIP.....

MUD...

EDIT: OH WAIT THIS ISN'T FFTF OOOPS.

I still like Mudkip because it has a great typing of Water/Ground and it keeps the tradition of bulky water types. Mudkip doesn't have a weakness to any of the Hoenn Gym Leaders in game iirc.

Edited by ~Summer~

And why is that?

Grovyle sucks pretty badly (doesn't get very good until you evolve Sceptile, and even then, it's not quite as versatile as the other starters), so you won't be able to beat the second fight against your rival against Combustiken without a lot of luck. Marshtomp is much better, but unfortunately 4x weakness against Grovyle's absorb means that it can pretty much heals itself to full and you don't have much to hurt it with (neither Mud Shot nor Water Gun are going to do much damage).

On the other hand, Combustiken can dish out some reasonable damage to Marshtomp with Double Kick/Peck (x2 effective), and can hold his own unless you're unlucky enough to get Water Gun'd every turn (and even then, it's nothing a Super Potion or two won't fix.

Neither of those (referring to Combusken here) are effective against Marshstomp, dude. You could just, you know, not evolve into Marshstomp early on if double effectiveness really screws you over that much (which I doubt). I dunno, Marshstomp can even learn Ice Beam when you get to Mawille so I'm struggling to see what the problem is.

EDIT Oh yeah, or you could just take the easy way out and spam X Attacks. Seriously not a problem.

Edited by Refa

Neither of those (referring to Combusken here) are effective against Marshstomp, dude. You could just, you know, not evolve into Marshstomp early on if double effectiveness really screws you over that much (which I doubt). I dunno, Marshstomp can even learn Ice Beam when you get to Mawille so I'm struggling to see what the problem is.

EDIT Oh yeah, or you could just take the easy way out and spam X Attacks. Seriously not a problem.

I'm sure you can probably come up with something. Maybe I should rephrase that claim: as a ten year old (probably the last time I touched that game), I was able to clear the game in a Torchic (and evolved forms) Solo, using also NO ITEMS (up until the Elite 4, where I needed a few healing potions because consecutive battles).

EDIT: Also, just for reference, you don't get Ice Beam soon enough for Grovyle.

Edited by ruadath

Oh yeah, I voted Torchic for the same reasons as Tragon. I really like Mudkip but I'm not as much of a fan of its evolutions (I mean, I don't particularly like Combusken either, but Blaziken is awesome). Also Torchic has the cutest animations in the newest games.

I'm sure you can probably come up with something. Maybe I should rephrase that claim: as a ten year old (probably the last time I touched that game), I was able to clear the game in a Torchic (and evolved forms) Solo, using also NO ITEMS (up until the Elite 4, where I needed a few healing potions because consecutive battles).

Fair enough! That's pretty impressive, although you probably fought some random battles I'm assuming.

EDIT Yeah, I'm not familiar with Gen 3 so the Ice Beam thing was just for later battles when your rival's starter gets tougher.

Edited by Refa