FE8 : Master Version

BrightVega

- Josh hat:

I didn't make the Assassin (F) sprite :P

I "stole" it completed from the resource directory (animation, palette, script, sounds) and inserted it in the game.

(hence the credits for the animation)

Now, if someone can make a Josh myrm/SM full animation with a hat (which i know would take many many hours) completed with the script and all

then i could insert it in the game

but i know it's a ton of work just for a hat :P

- Ms/ Heroes:

Heroes are all around balanced with good WT control but nothing special

while SMs are dodge tanks that use their speed to hit fast and hard and also have solid RES to go against any type of magic tree.

Their STR cap is 24 because among the classes with the +15Crt. bonus:

Falcos have 23 STR with lol DEF and CON

Zerkers are glass cannons with somewhat inaccurate Axes

G.Lords are the 2 main characters and they can slightly break the limits

Summoners are Dark-locked which while strong, it's crippling their speed

and Snipers are slow.

Wyverns with Pierce are bow/wind weak and Spear-locked.

SMs have no weakness at all and while Sword-locked their weapon is the most versatile in the game

with very light options, high Crt%, highest Hit% and access to magic swords with various effects,

able to fight monsters, fliers (or flyers?), mages, dragons, horses/armoured enemies and even heal themselves.

They can kill everything and even critical them all day while dodging everything.

- Assassin/ Rogue:

Assassins work with Lethality. They are not about flat DMG. Even with 0DMG, they can still kill their mark.

That's what the caps show (20STR, 30SKILL).

Rogues are running units, that use their speed to rob blind their targets and run from the angry mob chasing them.

Initially, I had Rogues like you suggested but since their combat sucked bad (as expected), I gave them 2 more STR (22)

so they can at least scratch some end game trash enemies.

- Valkyries:

Nah, they don't need Crt. bonus since they aren't DMG classes

and also their Light tree has the highest Crt% (10~40%) of all magic trees.

Sure Bishops have "Slayer" + Light Crt% + 30SKILL cap

but Valkyries have more CON and much higher SPD (30).

(Bishops hit hard, Valkyries double)

Plus Valkyries can use staves with ailments and siege tomes that other critical classes can't.

- Generals:

Generals have 2 stats cap 30, but their SPD and RES suck, extremely many ranged options,

they have full WT control and their "Wall" skill at Lv20 procs reliably. (They can seriously troll you with that skill in end game)

Give them a good terrain and they become super annoying to deal with.

Rescue them with a flyer, drop them at some mountains close to enemies and grab your pop-corn.

Hmm makes sense, was just a bit concerned with Swordmasters since they seemed to be nerfed with less SKL but seemingly nothing else to make up for that, main stat wise, like the other classes (unless you were thinking 30 spd was the compromise already?) but the +1 MOV is good, I forgot to take into account that you also modified the weapons as well so in the end everything comes together.

I found something out as well with the Assassin sprite (F), when I went to pit and test some units against each other in the link arena Marisa's sprite would start becoming funny going negative colour effects or just blacking out if you (player) were the one controlling her but the opposing sprite (enemy) would still be fine, this was just in the link arena and not the main game, its working fine there.

jXiiAGz.png

Just so you know.

There were also some mugshots that were different not by much but I liked the change, I think Vanessa's one was subtle but made her look nicer, Neimi with the her full sleeve clothes took a bit to get used to but I just figured thats what her garb setup will be in her sniper/ranger class, i think there was another one or two others that were different as well.

And if you do manage to get that hat sprite in somehow.... Then this will be THE version of FE8, between the harder setups, and making a few people's styles suit their sprite, it'll be the defining version. ^^

Edited by Trestkon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very odd. This never happened ever and i haven't touched any data with the slightest relation to the Tower/Ruins.

Edit1: I'm using No$GBA as emulator if that matters

Edit2: Did you start with the first 1.00 ver. then later patched it over with 1.10 and continued on the same save file?

I'm using VisualBoyAdvance, maybe that's the issue. Or something completely random. I also used the latest version of the patch and never changed. It was a scary glitch but it worked out in the end, so all is good.

I just finished the game in Eirkia mode and I really enjoyed it. The final chapters (20 + F) were very interesting, and not just because of very hard enemies but because of enemy placement and weapons, very nice. Though I found it a bit tedious buying dozens of boosters after chapter 19 to be competetive for endgame. Seriously, you give out way too much money over the course of the game, money is never an issue, you only save it for buying boosters in the end. I would have liked it better if you would have lowered enemy stats slightly in the endgame, reduced money overall in the game and kept the price of boosters at 8k. Though I have to admit, it is somewhat nice to actually need to use fully capped units to their full potential for once. And stat caps really did matter a lot in the end, so I guess this was your approach and I'm fine with that.

The hardest chapter by far for me, and apparently many others, was still chapter 15. That's still a bit too tough at that point in the game, I think. Could use some (more) slight nerfs. Everything after that was fine to me. Chapter 18 was actually very easy, probably because you didn't buff monsters much, and the eggs only started growing very late, it was too easy. But again my special thanks for chapters 20 + F, they were well balanced (for a majorly boosted party) and pretty tough in a good way. F-2 was a bit strange though, the Demon King never moved (he moves in vanilla, doesn't he? I don't remember) and he didn't use any of his special attacks. That made it pretty easy.

As far as weapon balance goes I think you did a good job, though Killer weapons are availabe very early and are througout the game the most consistently good weapons up until endgame, where you switch mostly to sacred weapons. I preferred Killers over Silvers most of the time. Fenrir especially seemed pretty useless to me, Luna outclasses it in most ways (2 less weight, 30 more crit, cheaper, ignores RES, Fenrir only has 10 more hit). And for anima I preferred Alacalibur over Elfire most of the time, because of the crit bonus. I think this is a problem, because higher tier weapons should be more effective in general (and therefore more expensive), but that isn't the case here.

Well, those are my thoughts. Thank you for this mod, I enjoyed it a lot!

Edited by Tycho

I found something out as well with the Assassin sprite (F), when I went to pit and test some units against each other in the link arena Marisa's sprite would start becoming funny going negative colour effects or just blacking out if you (player) were the one controlling her but the opposing sprite (enemy) would still be fine, this was just in the link arena and not the main game, its working fine there.

jXiiAGz.png

Just so you know.

Ah, i get why this happens... :/

It has to do with default palettes and the fact that Marisa's default Assassin sprite is not blue but already "painted".

I'm using VisualBoyAdvance, maybe that's the issue. Or something completely random. I also used the latest version of the patch and never changed. It was a scary glitch but it worked out in the end, so all is good.

I just finished the game in Eirkia mode and I really enjoyed it. The final chapters (20 + F) were very interesting, and not just because of very hard enemies but because of enemy placement and weapons, very nice. Though I found it a bit tedious buying dozens of boosters after chapter 19 to be competetive for endgame. Seriously, you give out way too much money over the course of the game, money is never an issue, you only save it for buying boosters in the end. I would have liked it better if you would have lowered enemy stats slightly in the endgame, reduced money overall in the game and kept the price of boosters at 8k. Though I have to admit, it is somewhat nice to actually need to use fully capped units to their full potential for once. And stat caps really did matter a lot in the end, so I guess this was your approach and I'm fine with that.

The hardest chapter by far for me, and apparently many others, was still chapter 15. That's still a bit too tough at that point in the game, I think. Could use some (more) slight nerfs. Everything after that was fine to me. Chapter 18 was actually very easy, probably because you didn't buff monsters much, and the eggs only started growing very late, it was too easy. But again my special thanks for chapters 20 + F, they were well balanced (for a majorly boosted party) and pretty tough in a good way. F-2 was a bit strange though, the Demon King never moved (he moves in vanilla, doesn't he? I don't remember) and he didn't use any of his special attacks. That made it pretty easy.

As far as weapon balance goes I think you did a good job, though Killer weapons are availabe very early and are througout the game the most consistently good weapons up until endgame, where you switch mostly to sacred weapons. I preferred Killers over Silvers most of the time. Fenrir especially seemed pretty useless to me, Luna outclasses it in most ways (2 less weight, 30 more crit, cheaper, ignores RES, Fenrir only has 10 more hit). And for anima I preferred Alacalibur over Elfire most of the time, because of the crit bonus. I think this is a problem, because higher tier weapons should be more effective in general (and therefore more expensive), but that isn't the case here.

Well, those are my thoughts. Thank you for this mod, I enjoyed it a lot!

If you later on do the Ephraim route and decide to tackle the Tower/Ruins

i suggest you do a 2nd save and a savestate before entering and also making a 2nd savestate 1 floor below the end.

---

Yeah, the idea was for some challenge for those who like maxing their teams.

While money is plenty in the course of the game, it really drains fast if someone always buys the best weapons

and that can be boomerang for the end.

What i found mostly tedious was the "inventory game":

Swapping the Silver card through characters and buying again and again boosters or weapons and going through a heap of menus all the time.

I do have an idea to improve/ fix this...tedious "experience" but it would require to revisit all chests, villages and drops.

---

Damn that Eirika Ch15 lol.

Only thing left is to make Caillah not move for those in range and also delete the south 2nd wave of reinforcements.

---

Ch18 map itself didn't allow me to play around: Too many inaccessible areas even for flyers, many damage tiles all over the place, little room to move.

I could spice it up by only making it a boss gauntlet.

Try Ephraims ver. as i find it somewhat more polished.

---

Yeah, the DK doesn't move with the intent to lure players in that small platform and use the "sleep" curse thing.

In Eirika's ver. the set up is quite simple and you will kill him before he manages to pull it off.

In Ephraims ver. he always uses it :P

---

C rank weapons (the critical tier) while strong in early game and good in middle game

lose impact in end game and they are barely good for the lasts chapters.

What i can do without ruining this tier is to: -5Crt% (=25%) to all C rank weapons and tomes except "shine" (=30%) magic and "Shamshir" (=40%)

---

Even though i really buffed "Fenrir" over the original, even the AI will never use it !

It will always pick "Elfire" over it!

The AI only used Fenrir when the DMG was enough to deliver the killing blow :P

I will give it a +5Hit% (That's +8Hit% with True Hit)

Luna really drops in end-game/ final chapters. It misses all the time and even maxed skilled/luck druids/summoners have a hard time landing a hit.

---

C rank is for criticals

B for raw power

A for some special effect.

There are many times where B weapons are better than C for that sure hit-kill.

PHS weapons have a high B rank tier with extra oomph and 5Crt%.

With tomes, B tomes already have a big MT gap with C tomes which with the lower RES all around provide some serious DMG.

With B weaponry you can ensure kills while with C you need to pray (especially after Ch15+ as enemies are harder to ORKO)

"A" rank weaponry are miles above "C" (except the price) due to effects.

Example: a 28SPD Sage with Fimbur + Aura is very versatile and deadly. Same with a 30MAG Druid with Nosferat + Fimbur.

Maybe with the upcoming nerf to C rank Crt% (-5%)(=25%) you will find more reason to use "B" tomes.

Also the 3 "B" tomes "Elfire", "Fenrir" and "Divine" will get a +5Crt% boosts (=5%, 5%, 15%)

to rival the high "B" PHS weapons that have it (S.Blade, B.Axe, G.Lance, T. Bow)

Inventory management is certainly an issue, I would love an inventory capacity of 200, would make things much more comfortable. As it is now it's a challenging meta game of its own :) But that's a problem with every GBA FE.

Ch. 15: Making Caellach not move would certainly help, because you need that space to safely retreat a bit from the wyvern threats. Deleting the second wave of reinforcements would also be reasonable.

I understand the concept behind your weapon tiering and for the most part it works well. "A" rank weapons certainly are the most effective, as they should be. I always thought Brave weapons should be "A" rank. It's only the comparison between "C" Killers and "B" Strong weapons that I don't like that much.

The thing is, from chapter 15 onward enemies are often so strong that you won't be able to 1RKO them even with "B" rank weapons, but "inferior" Killer weapons, combined with high skill and "S" weaponrank crit bonus, have a good chance of a 1RKO, thereby making them more efficient in most cases. "B" rank weaponry certainly has its uses as well and I always brought some with me for when I would need it. But on the whole my personal feeling is that "C" and "B" rank weapons should be interchanged.

I like your idea of reducing Killer weapons crit by 5% and maybe give "B" rank weapons +1 might. And/or increase the price for Killers.

On a different topic, I really liked that Eclipse is now actually usable and useful. I managed to hit the chapter 20 boss twice with it, finish him with some Boltings and then warp to the throne. Very satisfying! Also a magic capped Gleipnir user with a "B" rank in staves is insanely good with the sleep staff due to the +10 magic of Gleipnir. I almost never use status staves in the GBA games, but here with the right setup it's a very effective strategy (borderline OP but very fun).

In regards to weapon ranks/balance, you might end up putting putting yourself in a balancing vortex... I'd say becareful in trying to balance weapons by ranks and weapon type as you'll always find yourself making adjustments that'll lead to you needing to make more adjustments in the future. Also keep in mind that in every game on earth there are various aspects that players abuse or dislike circumstantially despite it being the developers intentions or not.

You have to look at the game as a whole when it comes to balancing something even as little as weapon stats, as what might make a killer weapon the best type of weapon in the game is the units we encounter, as opposed to the viability of other weapons similar or intended to be better than killing weapons. IMO opinion the best games are games that focuses on concept and creativity as opposed to "professionalism" and balance. I honestly don't believe you can go wrong if you make these your primary focus as the game will more or less be played in ways you would expect +/- some minor balancing flaws that don't break the game or harm replay value or enjoyment.

well I say that to say becareful how you balance cuz I agree with Tycho that Killing weapons are pound for pound the best weapons throughout the game (other than shamshir assassin marisa Marisa specifically!!).. which is mostly due to the strength of the enemies late game, when 1 rounding becomes just about impossible w/o effectivenss weapons and IMO nerfing the KE will harm the early game and fucking with the ranks might harm the game overall.

What i found mostly tedious was the "inventory game":

Swapping the Silver card through characters and buying again and again boosters or weapons and going through a heap of menus all the time.

I do have an idea to improve/ fix this...tedious "experience" but it would require to revisit all chests, villages and drops.

Oh yes please, if you do have a way of changing up the silver card ordeal that would be really great!

It would save a lot of time and take away most of the general feeling after a chapter going "ugh preparation time again..."

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL THIS, PLS HALP

NOT EVEN MY R N G BLESSED UNITS CAN DEAL WITH HIM

Just kidding, Been playing this on hard and enjoying everything you did, Original fe8 should be like this

But really, help, he is killing my entire army alone

Fimbulvetr

or shamshir marisa... you also should max out supports and use sacred weapons

...I really don't understand creatively why his stats are maxed though lol

So, i'm up to chapter 17 right now. So far, i've loved your hack... although i made a pretty big mistake. I understimated your hack, and chose hard mode. Being FE8 with buffed FUCKING SETH, i thought it would be easy! big error. The early game is around the same level as the original, maybe a bit easier (star seals and buffed units help), but then comes the midgame. Innes' and cormag's chapter were hard already (i chose eirika's route, since i didn't understimate you THAT much, thank god), and by the time i reached the desert, your hack already made me think out more strategies than the official fire emblems (granted, i only played the gba ones... but i beat each of them at least once without save states and i only had to bumrush everything). Chapters 16 and 17 were both pretty insane, with every enemy promoted and the promotees being actually buffed.

So, here are a few improvements i've thought up (might edit something in when i finish the playthrough):

- Buff Knoll. The formation slots down in his place come in handy to build a wall around him, but if you don't do that, he'll die the second he steps in. Try hacking the game so he doesn't appear right when the enemies start moving, so i could at least move him a bit further away, or give him a few levels. I'd say level 15 with these bases (32 hp, 17 str, 13 sk, 13 spd, 10 luck, 11 def, 15 res) should be reasonable enough to let him be a bit more... usable.

- I can't tell yet, but i bet that syrene will probably suffer from the same thing, with her meh bases and her terribly close to the enemy starting point. Dozla could also use a few stat ups in some areas. His growths are good enough, but his bases are still pretty meh (but at least he doesn't have 9 speed anymore)

- Give only one siege tome to the sage in chapter 16. Its already insane enough to have 3 long range enemies (i used colm to assasinate the druids, worked out pretty well), but that one just kept throwing shit at me for the whole chapter (i used knoll to summon each turn, and then tethys so he could also attack/heal).

- Maybe lower fenrir's price a bit...? i know, silver card, but even then it is way too expensive. Maybe 5000, 2500 with the silver card?

Though really, this hack made me think a lot more than the usual games. Props for that, its a very well made revamp that doesn't have to rely on buffing enemies mindlessly.

Edited by Rubenio

- Yeah, Knoll in hard mode will die while in normal/easy will live. That's the trick in that spot: Making those 3 in the south live.

- Serene is buffed quite a bit already, but yeah in hard mode you have to rush and help her.
Dozla could use some better bases i think.

- In my beta i had +3 more tome spammers in that map and i cleared it easy. Removed them though for the reason that enemy phase was taking too looong.

use the item shop in Jehanna

- Huh? What are you talking about? Fenrir already costs 2500$....Whoa ! It's still 7000$ ?!

That's a miss hole from my part and no one noticed it! (in my patch notes i have it at 2500G ...supposedly)

*Facepalm* no wonder no one used it.

Even I didn't noticed it and i've played it 3 times...

Edited by BrightVega

In regards to weapon ranks/balance, you might end up putting putting yourself in a balancing vortex... I'd say becareful in trying to balance weapons by ranks and weapon type as you'll always find yourself making adjustments that'll lead to you needing to make more adjustments in the future. Also keep in mind that in every game on earth there are various aspects that players abuse or dislike circumstantially despite it being the developers intentions or not.

You have to look at the game as a whole when it comes to balancing something even as little as weapon stats, as what might make a killer weapon the best type of weapon in the game is the units we encounter, as opposed to the viability of other weapons similar or intended to be better than killing weapons. IMO opinion the best games are games that focuses on concept and creativity as opposed to "professionalism" and balance. I honestly don't believe you can go wrong if you make these your primary focus as the game will more or less be played in ways you would expect +/- some minor balancing flaws that don't break the game or harm replay value or enjoyment.

well I say that to say becareful how you balance cuz I agree with Tycho that Killing weapons are pound for pound the best weapons throughout the game (other than shamshir assassin marisa Marisa specifically!!).. which is mostly due to the strength of the enemies late game, when 1 rounding becomes just about impossible w/o effectivenss weapons and IMO nerfing the KE will harm the early game and fucking with the ranks might harm the game overall.

To add to this, I suppose it's a matter of making sure that if there is a 'winner beats all' weapon/strategy, either re-balance to change that or simply make it expensive or can't be used too often. That seems like obvious advice for a balancing hack, but sometimes changes can often not work out the way you want them to and others won't have a cognitive bias as the way you've balanced things (Even if killers have lower MT, criticals are still FE standard x 3 damage and the weapon will obviously go off of base STR as well). So even if on paper, there is a downside to that strategy, it won't be enough to stop it being the best.

Personally, I would just make Killer weapons have awful hit but great MT. In a lot of cases a crit is instant death anyway and tag 'killer' would indicate it's great at doing just that.

However, if I had the know-how, I would simply make killer weapons triple your innate displayed crit chance as oppose to a set crit bonus. So if you would normally have a 5% chance to crit (after luck) it would be 15%. This also makes the luck stat as a counter against them too because it would negate 3% crit for each point. And it means that only high skill units would use them well. A unit with 30 skill would have 45 crit from it.

Giving it bad hit may make the weapon more gimmicky/RNG but keep in mind that enemy avoid rates will vary. It would mean that against an enemy with low avoid (like a general), the weapon is extremely good. Otherwise it's a gamble shot. That's pretty good design since against tankier but slower enemies it's better (who are typically better at surviving crits in the first place) where against faster enemies it's not as good and chances are you won't even need to crit them to do a lot of damage to them anyway. This gives a clear distinction of when and when not to use it.

And the statement in bold is a good direction to go towards when balancing anything. The only "objectively best" weapon type I could see existing is silver weapons (with the downside being extremely expensive and pretty much a luxury in moderation -- so basically the fail-safe weapon). But even with Silvers I would make them give a 5-10 LCK penalty or something. Offer scenarios where you would not want to use them. Heck, you could easily just do this with Killer weapons. Just make them grant a -10 LCK penalty or a -4 DEF/RES penalty. Anything similar to that.

I wouldn't just make weapons better than each-other based on their weapon rank. But I also think weapons shouldn't overlap too much in what they should be used for. Some types like 'Slim' don't really have an identity to separate them from Iron aside from slight stat changes. You could make them provide an actual speed boost (+2 or +3) so that some units can resort to slim weapons if they are struggling to double or would appreciate the slight avoid boost.

Of course, you're probably not interested in remaking the entire weapon system or anything to that extent. But it's something to think about possibly if you go a big update in the future.

I will certainly check out this hack since it seems a lot of thought went into it, with positive design philosophies behind it. Aside from apparently being encouraged to grind. I personally don't feel that's welcome in a FE game, even if exists in other RPGs.

On the topic of stat boosters, I'd also be a bit concerned with that since if enemies and/or player units were adjusted to not overly require them then they shouldn't be needed in bulk. Otherwise it just feels like a band-aid to stat inflation (and honestly it would appear that's exactly what it is, even if you haven't realized it yourself).

I love rewarding stat boosts for fulfilling certain requirements or playing effectively (like a X turn defend map where you need to steal or kill a hard to reach enemy). But when they are hand out like candy it takes away the satisfaction of receiving or using them.

Plus, the design flaw with stat boosters is that it's way too ideal in FE to just pile them up on one unit and let them be a one-man army. Fire Emblem mechanics tend to lend to that pretty easily and stat boosters do not help to rectify that. It's also why high growth rates across the board are controversial. Units should be merited on base stats more than growth as a means of having a healthier game, simply because it encourages more units to be used.

Edited by DLuna

Oh, Dluna it was your hack on FE6 that made start this..."try".

- Killers:

I've been thinking about this and i really can't nerf the Crt.% as killers are the only means for most characters and classes

to have access to descent %Crt.Ch. in mid>end game.

Also as far as Hit% goes, it barely stays in the 80~90% Hit range. Against enemies with terrain avoid bonus, killers really drop in accurancy.

As for DMG, killers are on the same level with "D" weaponry but break faster and cost more.

Slims have a purpose of being lighter and pre-promotes don't lose that 1~2 speed when they need critical.

Their MT is bad but their cost, access and Hit% are excellent for their purpose: attacking enemies with terrain bonus (something that killers suck at)

Solution(?):

I do understand that killers can "carry" you up the end

that's why i can make "B" weaponry more lucrative.

Low "B" weapons for physical fighters are ...ok

while high "B" weapons surely are better than the RNG killers.

The issue is with tomes and "B" tomes (close range; not siege ones) need some more love

to be on par with the high "B" physical weapons.

Also, reducing Killer MT-1 they become somewhat weaker than "D" weapons. (-6DMG in a rare double critical)

As such killers will be more RNG based without becoming complete junk

(they suffer from cost and hit already, now their MT will be another thing to consider)

Same can be done for "Aircalibur" except "Luna" and "Shine" tomes.

- Grind:

Yes, I've seen many topics like "How to Fix Tower/Ruins" or "Remove Tower/Ruins/Skirmishes".

But why not include their purpose in the game? Intelligent System wanted this after all.

Why omit a huge part of the original concept and gameplay and not build further upon it?

Otherwise weak units like trainees shouldn't even exist....

And this ties to the stat boosters:

- Too many(?) stat boosters:

Yes i want to inflate stats, I'm not denying it. Whether by making 1 good unit or spread them, that's for the player to decide.

However, like i stated in the past, a god unit can't be everywhere on the map. And this hack is about spreading your units in multiple locations.

With the increased need for units, EXP is spread a lot, same with the boosters.

We can argue that bosses can be cheesed by stacking everything, but the map itself is another beast to handle.

From posts here the difficulty seems to be a hit and a miss:

some say it's nice, some say it's overblown

I didn't plan to make another Thracia and early killers/boosters are here to cover any issues until characters and supports improve.

After all, stat boosters are earned, not gifted, by killling an elite or saving someone or some village or rushing some chest before an enemy thief

I mean, ok, in a GBA FE what else matters? It's only cash, boosters or a warp staff :P

Putting a "killer" weapon as reward is "meh, really"?

Also I won't hide it: Everything ASM related is "stolen" from somewhere.

My work is only Hex related (and even that knowledge is borrowed) and nothing more.

I was thinking of a post-game challenge as a reason to grind, but had no idea how to do it and it still seems to very hard to realise.

Hence I ended up with that inflated end-game (ch.20~22) (at least an opportunity to see your units in top form i guess...)

P.S. I really hate the "Fates" de-buff system: It only promotes forged iron/steel weapons

with killers and regalia stealing all the highlight.

And I.S. knew it and added "statues" but hey "buy the DLC version if you want all the statues!"

Why break something that worked for 3 decades ?!

Edit: Patch 1.12 is out and fixes issues with weapons based on feedback (and also a cheese spot)

Edited by BrightVega

I'm really liking this FE 8 hack of yours. The only small issue I'm having is when i try to promote Marisa into an assassin her old original battle sprite shows up instead of the the new one.

I'm really liking this FE 8 hack of yours. The only small issue I'm having is when i try to promote Marisa into an assassin her old original battle sprite shows up instead of the the new one.

O_o ???

I'll re-check it.

Edit (2/2/16):

Didn't find issues...

Not in an old file,

not by doing a new game

not by using a new-freshly patched ROM.

Marissa had the new animation...

Also checked the data in the latest patch

and the data for the new animation as well as all pointers were working as intended.

- Are you having, the newest patch? (You should, since I remove the older versions from the doownload link, but still...)

- Can you re-apply the lastest patch and check? (I know, lazy advice...)

- The base ROM is: Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U) (TrashMan)

Shout to everyone: Does anyone else has this problem ???

Edited by BrightVega

O_o ???

I'll re-check it.

Edit (2/2/16):

Didn't find issues...

Not in an old file,

not by doing a new game

not by using a new-freshly patched ROM.

Marissa had the new animation...

Also checked the data in the latest patch

and the data for the new animation as well as all pointers were working as intended.

- Are you having, the newest patch? (You should, since I remove the older versions from the doownload link, but still...)

- Can you re-apply the lastest patch and check? (I know, lazy advice...)

- The base ROM is: Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U) (TrashMan)

Shout to everyone: Does anyone else has this problem ???

Ahh i see. I might have downloaded the old patch instead of the new one so that's probably why. I think it's too late for me now because I already promoted her into a swordmaster and about done with the game. I'll make sure to check out and download the new patch when I'm finished. Thanks for the help!

It's some weeks ago that i cleared this hack, but it was i think the best fe8 hack i've seen so far. There were some moments i had to think over 10 minutes just for some actions.

But there were some points i would like to improve:

- On Chapter 16, the rouges didn't attack actually if you block their way, well was nice to get so many lockpicks.

6730e3e12b.png

- The balance of almost every charakter was fine, Gracia and Dolza did a very good job in the endcontent, but Duessel was still lacking.

- The last 2 chapters i just used my warp to accomplish my misssions, maybe take warp away from the shop.

So, i got to the end... some things i thought up:

- The fact that some early bosses are in the final chapters is kind of confusing... i get that they might just be reanimated corpses by lyon, but you could explain it somewhere (if you don't want to edit the dialoge, you could at least change their character descriptions to "The body of a former enemy, reanimated by Lyon" or something like that).

- I believe you should lower the difficulty of the chapters, in hard at least. I know your objetive was to give maxed out characters a challenge, but i don't really want to go through the ruins 2 or 3 times to get enough money to max everyone out, and as it is, the chapter's fairly impossible. Everyone having maxed out stats isn't really in line with the rest of the hack, which consisted on smart unit placement changes that increased the difficulty in a fair way.

- Lower the price of the body ring. Getting +2 con isn't really worth that much money. Just getting one for ephraim will force me to slug my way though the ruins again, if i want to max everyone out.

I really liked the whole hack. It was very good. Up until the ending, which is pretty unfair in my opinion. At least on hard mode, maybe i should try normal mode at some point. Guess i'll go up the ruins again, and see if i turn everybody green (some of my characters were pretty blessed, that should help)

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys, I just start your game, it is excellent nothing to say at first, but in Chapter 9 if you take the road to Erika, there is a bug in the spawn blocking the game. I managed to work around this problem by luck.
For me the things that are good with this

Fire Emblem is that you can access virtually all weapons, drop more things the enemy, they are more numerous, harder and there is a better orgaisation.

I hope you have not abandoned the project, keep this up, the creators of Fire Emblem 8 will buy your play.

see ya

hi guys, I just start your game, it is excellent nothing to say at first, but in Chapter 9 if you take the road to Erika, there is a bug in the spawn blocking the game. I managed to work around this problem by luck.

Fire Emblem is that you can access virtually all weapons, drop more things the enemy, they are more numerous, harder and there is a better orgaisation.

I hope you have not abandoned the project, keep this up, the creators of Fire Emblem 8 will buy your play.

oh yes I forgot can you do a really hard way, for me it is the normal mode of Fire Emblem. XD

You know Fire Emblem Dream of Five, this is one of the best hack I played, which is fine with this game is that it is a lot of unforeseen circumstances, the enemies are strong, there new weapons, new classes and the strongest character hardly changing. You should inspire you as it is the definition of tactics, the slightest mistake and it's over.

Oh also Seth is no longer invincible XD

Ben, I basically finished the game, it is well on the whole but from Chapter 12 need to increase the difficulty why? Let me explain, I trained my characters to turn, they have become almost invincible like Joshua who is :

65 hp, 20 strg, 30 skill, speed 27, 12 res, 20 def. O_O level 16 assassin

Nobody can beat him. I get the money due to him.

general should be improved as Caellach not very powerful facing Joshua, the solution would be to put all general levels 20, seen that it is the most powerful kind Caellach should have a special weapon like "Tiger axis "an ax with faculties who ignore such defense, and remote attack as a string which is connected to it.
His stats should change: 80 hp, 23 strg, 22 skill, speed 20, 17 def res 15, level 20

I think it would withdraw its protection canceling its critical hits.
Valter should also have his own weapon like "Bloody spear"

His stats should go to: Valter 100 pv strg 22, 20 skill, speed 21, 13 def, 13 res.
IT should at least exceed the overall capacity of at least 20, attributed their skills would be interesting, but well ...

the characters become more powerful, so enemies can become more powerful especially overhead

what would be interesting would be to add special weapons to the general and make them more powerful.

Its still a very good hack, do not abandon the project.

Sorry for the bad english...

It's very good hack

Ben, I basically finished the game, it is well on the whole but from Chapter 12 need to increase the difficulty why? Let me explain, I trained my characters to turn, they have become almost invincible like Joshua who is :

65 hp, 20 strg, 30 skill, speed 27, 12 res, 20 def. O_O level 16 assassin

Nobody can beat him. I get the money due to him.

general should be improved as Caellach not very powerful facing Joshua, the solution would be to put all general levels 20, seen that it is the most powerful kind Caellach should have a special weapon like "Tiger axis "an ax with faculties who ignore such defense, and remote attack as a string which is connected to it.

His stats should change: 80 hp, 23 strg, 22 skill, speed 20, 17 def res 15, level 20
I think it would withdraw its protection canceling its critical hits.
Valter should also have his own weapon like "Bloody spear"
His stats should go to: Valter 100 pv strg 22, 20 skill, speed 21, 13 def, 13 res.
IT should at least exceed the overall capacity of at least 20, attributed their skills would be interesting, but well ...

the characters become more powerful, so enemies can become more powerful especially overhead

what would be interesting would be to add special weapons to the general and make them more powerful.

Its still a very good hack, do not abandon the project.

MODEDIT: holy shit

Edited by Integrity

Made it to Chapter 20, and I really like your

usage of the phantoms of past bosses as your main enemies for this chapter

! Even with my arena abused team outfitted with the best weapons possible, I'm having trouble dealing with the slew of Wyvern Knights and their damn Pierce skill facerolling me. (This reminds me a lot of situations I faced in FE7 Chaos Mode when I played it). Overall, the hack is very well done! Easy early on, but requires much skill and strategy to get through the later chapters. Somehow, I spent so much money, that by Chapter 20, my stockpile of 400000 arena abused gold was all dried up (all on weapons, not even on statboosters) (in retrospect, I should've went and gotten the Silver Card).

Now back to trying to push my way to Riev (and stealing those shadowgifts along the way if possible). Then onwards to the final chapter to victory! And likely much savestate abuse!

EDIT: This....is going to be a slight problem.

Edited by RandomSwordmaster

@Integrity

MODEDIT: holy shit

I admit, I did giggle. Well, he is enthusiastic and i didn't thought about special weapons for the enemy generals.

It sounds a nice idea.

Divide half of them from the south.

In retrospect, that would've been a better idea. I just had Joshua take point and dodgetank everything, along with a Phantom, while everybody else mopped up. Had to RNG abuse a few times (cause I kinda suck at FE) but I managed to make it to the final chapter. And of course....it's a similar format to Chapter 20...

Well...after much blood, sweat, and RNG abuse, I managed to kill the Demon King and win. Even with my stat-capped units, they were still at a large disadvantage to the DK...

Also, Gleipnir OP.

Edited by RandomSwordmaster

Y'know It would have been nice if we gotten dialogue or some form of exposition to help players understand why dafuq we're fighting these bosses again, come to think about it.

I personally am not a fan of chapter 20... the final chapter is OK, but that might only be because I was prepped by the previous chapter....Also I had to do chapter 20 twice because by the time I got to the final chapter... I needed more weapons, and magic.

IDK chapter 20 didn't seem as hard as it felt tedious and aggravating due to the fucking 9mov armor peircing flying units.... I really don't savestate games out of habit, but in cases where I don't see a physical possibility w/o the influence of luck I would like eirika 15 and 20. besides I loaded old states on accident before which is the worst thing in the world.

With that being said... equipping a Summonor Ewan, Gleipner and Having him use beserk & sleep trivializes the west region of the map... And I feel no shame doing so due to the fact that exp at this point of the hack is as valuable as sand to a desert, all the enemies can go f*ck themselves at this point, in-fact I find having 5 clean spaces in my inventory more useful that mugging an Iron rune or fili sheild ..so yeah having reiv or morva kill the other was not a problem, however I did kill them both during the first play through conventionally to see the quotes...

The units I assigned to the mid south at the beginning were mostly flyers and High crit % units, to get rid of the paladin quickly then rendevouz north east w/ Eirika, eiphram and the homies... but because of the damn wyverns we had to camp out in the spartan formation to the north east where we 300'd the Wyvern nights, Wyvern lords and great knights. It's been a while since I played but I believe I waited until like turn ~40 before proceeding because getting hit by 2 Wyvern knights at any given time can potentially K.O. any unit no matter who.

Because Ewan is such a boss when the Wyvern lords stop spawning the rest of the chapter is a walk in the park... Like the chapter is basically done. Which translates - to no Wyvern knights - no difficulty, no chapter really... same for the final chapter.

There's a lot of things I wanted to talk about regarding this hack, but just forgot to upon completing it... well I haven't picked it up again tbh. But there are a few things I am concerned about, being that my mouth waters for a good remaster of FE8...

Gigi, I agree with you, for me it would review the hack in all its entirety to see what that would be interesting to put in each chaptire for example Chapter 2 deserves remastering, units and arrive too tards do not influence our forces. Other chaptires are really unfair, I love this side but it still deserves to be remaster.
Otherwise speaking of remastering, it would be great if you could add these songs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZHUxEmCaA

Well...after much blood, sweat, and RNG abuse, I managed to kill the Demon King and win. Even with my stat-capped units, they were still at a large disadvantage to the DK...

DK still gets KOed in 1 turn if you throw him all the holy weapons. Found him quite weak actually.

Easy to double and easy to kite. Throw a Latona heal and boom. End.

Ephraim and Eirika alone, by supporting each other, can take away DK's half HP in 1 attack phase.

Myrrh also alone+unsupported deals 1/4 of DK's HP in damage since her Dragonstone gets a x3 bonus

contrary to the other holy weapons that get only a x2 bonus.

Of course, normal weapons don't do anything, which also makes sense.

Y'know It would have been nice if we gotten dialogue or some form of exposition to help players understand why dafuq we're fighting these bosses again, come to think about it.

I'm lazy to just add 1 line of extra dialoque to Lyon's lines when he summons Morva. :P

"Use this dragon and the phantoms".

I personally am not a fan of chapter 20... the final chapter is OK, but that might only be because I was prepped by the previous chapter....Also I had to do chapter 20 twice because by the time I got to the final chapter... I needed more weapons, and magic.

IDK chapter 20 didn't seem as hard as it felt tedious and aggravating due to the fucking 9mov armor peircing flying units.... I really don't savestate games out of habit, but in cases where I don't see a physical possibility w/o the influence of luck I would like eirika 15 and 20. besides I loaded old states on accident before which is the worst thing in the world.

Use the forests and hills in the south and the wyvern Hit% drops to 5~15%. With true hit that's 0.1~8% in reality.

For a hit+Pierce to occured, it would take a (8% x 20%= 0.016%) chance to happen.

With that being said... equipping a Summonor Ewan, Gleipner and Having him use beserk & sleep trivializes the west region of the map... And I feel no shame doing so due to the fact that exp at this point of the hack is as valuable as sand to a desert, all the enemies can go f*ck themselves at this point, in-fact I find having 5 clean spaces in my inventory more useful that mugging an Iron rune or fili sheild ..so yeah having reiv or morva kill the other was not a problem, however I did kill them both during the first play through conventionally to see the quotes...

And why shouldn't someone be able to do that?

AFAIK, i haven't seen anything like that in a FE game. This "abuse" is the "hidden trick" of the hack.

Otherwise, Gleipnir would still be the weakest holy regalia of the game due to class and weight limitations.

Every game has some sort of a secret "i win" way for the player to use.

Yes, you should be ready for 3 continuous maps. That's the intent.

There is a bug to the chapter 9, he blocks your game. When Amelia go to see you and said you good bye.

Eirika route? Or Ephraim route?

When does this happen? When you don't recruit Amelia ? Or in some in-map event?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note1: Are you guys using supports?

Because with the average 70%evasion + 15% from WT + 15% from supports

the normal enemies have around 20~40 Hit%.

Add +20%~30% evasion from terrain bonus

and you can dodge everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note2: Ch20-21-F are supposed to be hard on hard. FE12 Maniac Hard (still easier than lunatic or apothesis).

You must have everyone maxed with full supports and the best weapons. Which means grinding, yes. A lot in fact.

You can always play easy/normal Eirika route if you don't want to grind the ruins 5~6 times.