Fire Emblem Fan Fighting Game

blazingorange

02/25/2016

PLEASE READ BEFORE CHECKING NEW VERSION

So I got an answer from Nintendo and it is vague. I'll leave the whole message below but, in short, they said they don't like anyone using there IP but, if what I'm doing doesn't violate their policies, it is okay. They didn't tell what their policies are and said that I'm expected to figure that out for myself. So I kinda feel like they stopped reading at fan game and said we don't really care but we're not giving you the thumps up encase you actually have something bad planned.

I'll be honest I'm starting to get cold feet. Not entirely because of what Nintendo said but, also, the game play is starting to get too complex for a fighting game. There is enough complexity that trying to remember exp, level, weapon type, weapon level, all 8 stats, classes, etc. is simply to much to take into account and the amount of time it takes to start a fight more then the average fighting game player is use too. Not to mention, all this time and effort just to have fun for a 2 minute match.

I am going to, ultimately, need to make a lot of big changes and this is going to start to drift away from the idea of the hybrid of standard fire emblem mechanics and standard fighting game mechanics. I'm considering, despite Nintendo's possible approval, to make my own indie title but I feel a little guilt of backing out of my promise for a fire emblem fighting game. I would link to know everyone's general opinion on this matter.

Additionally, I have two main plans to rework the game into a more playable fanshion and I would, also, like an opinion on this.

Option 1:

Literally make it like fire emblem but, instead of the battles happen automatically, you get thrown into a mini fight with just the weapon you have equipped. All levels, classes, item selection, and assists are handled outside of the battle like in fire emblem.

Option 2:

I remove assists, level ups, class ups, bring down item space to just main and 2 side, and reduce stats to just health, attack, and defense. I may add like a special gauge to help give weaker fire emblem characters something but, with all attacks mostly determined by equipped weapon, a lot of fighters are going to feel the same.

[spoiler= Nintendo's message]
Hello,

Thanks for writing and for your patience awaiting our reply. We've been quite busy lately, which has affected our response times. I appreciate your interest in Nintendo and all our video game products. To us, it represents a great sign of success and recognition of the Nintendo brand.

We are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use Nintendo properties; however, we receive thousands of requests and do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline all such requests, no exceptions. I realize this isn’t what you wanted to hear and thank you for understanding.

Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo properties without our formal permission may still be allowed depending on the circumstances. You are encouraged to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. This is not a comment on whether we believe your particular proposed use is permissible—Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.

Below is the link to download all version of the game:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4j6h307q69wdn9y/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6.zip

Version notes: Added content:

• Add sword and lance as usable weapons, classes that can use those weapons, and characters to be in those classes.

[spoiler= version 0.0.6]

02/11/2016
Greetings again everyone. Sorry about the month long silence but I'm back again with a major graphical update, support for linux, a web based version for any one that can install the unity player plugin ontheir browser, and a better temporary name. This may be the last update before I ask for approval from Intelligent Systems and Nintendo so any advice would be nice.

Below is the link to play the game.
Windows http://www.mediafire.com/download/p6vl3625prz73zz/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6_-_Desktop.zip
Mac http://www.mediafire.com/download/mp4l64zte8yvs1e/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6_-_Mac.exe.app.zip

Linux http://www.mediafire.com/download/h4j81ald3zxovy1/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6_-_Linux.zip

Web http://blazingorangegames.weebly.com/fire-emblem-grand-arena1.html
Android http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ey4y576zcg81cr/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6_-_Mobile.apk

• Main Menu, Character select, enemy select, and GUI in combat changed
• Music added to
Main Menu, Character select, enemy select, and GUI in combat changed

• Custom control save feature no longer saves as a txt file on your computer but uses the Unity PlayerPref feature

• hitbox system reworked to allow hitboxes to appear on any body part or weapon(standard axe combo down,up now has hitbox on kicking leg)

• When clicking select when choosing a character or item now also automatically moves to the next menu similar to double clicking on a character or item icon

• Barrier and timer added to combat

[spoiler= version 0.0.5]

01/22/2016
Not sure why I'm just realizing this but all the older versions were only for windows. Since I want as much help as possible, I've made a mac version of the game. Also, I know it says v0.0.4 but it is really still v0.0.3 Sure I did add a new walking animation for tomes but that is it. So yeah, hint-hint next update is focused on making everything less ugly. Additionally, the android version is working now. So there is that too. Lastly, I will probably not be making an iPhone version in the near future due to apple's yearly fee of $100. If I get the green light from intelligent systems, I will, immediately, work on an iPhone version but, till then, I'm not spending money.
Mac http://www.mediafire.com/download/u53f5i9150yz20c/Fire_Emblem_Fan_Fighting_Game_v0.0.4_desktop-mac.app.zip
Android http://www.mediafire.com/download/kflt6t2mi23ngd5/Fire_Emblem_Fan-Made_Fighting_Game_v0.0.4_Mobile.apk
Windows v0.0.3 http://www.mediafire.com/download/g6b3ffmbqgobsgy/Fire_Emblem_Fan-Made_Fighting_Game_v0.0.3_Desktop.zip

[spoiler= version 0.0.3]

01/19/2016
Alright, I'm feeling that, with appearance and content aside, I'm almost ready to show this prototype to Intelligent Systems so I can ask for permission to see this project through. I am aware I am lacking on content so I may try to add a few more characters. So I'll probably start taking suggestions. Keep in mind, I still don't have the resources to add more weapon types.So any characters added must use of the 3 weapon types I have. Additionally, I will need to know what growth stats to give that character(this doesn't mean make it up. I want the stats from their original game) and you can maybe list some ways to make them special but I don't plan to add any of that, yet. Last, remember that I intend to make all characters available.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/g6b3ffmbqgobsgy/Fire_Emblem_Fan-Made_Fighting_Game_v0.0.3_Desktop.zip
Inside the zip file is the game, a guide on how to set it up, and a guide on how to report a bug.

qwV6CX4.png
• if equipped with axe1 and you preform a back attack, you will now throw an axe at your opponent
• if you are equipped with an axe and enter the combo (down, up) you will do a kick after the normal down attack.(kick does nothing. unless the axe happens to hit them. This is just there to test combo system)
Fixes:
• Made enemy select background red and changed text when selecting enemy to avoid confusion
• Fixed issue where character spins while trying to jump over enemy
• added guard function (Mobile:can be done by holding finger over attack input area)
• Fixed issue where character that you were before switching to your assist character will preform an assist attack instead of just moving to the side line
• Fixed Issue where characters don't take damage while leveling up.
Known Issues: Not Actually an issue:
• after using a weapon for a couple of times it won't let me select it anymore and switched me to my default weapon. (Just like in Fire Emblem, weapons break and become unusable. Use them wisely.)
• I can't change to a certain weapon while playing a certain character (certain characters can only use certain weapon types and must have a high enough level in that type to use higher level weapons. Don't worry weapon level increases over time)
• I am able to interact with the game using the mouse as if I was on the mobile version. (That is intended to making testing easier on me well developing. You may use this if you want but I image it must be difficult.)
• I’m in multiplayer and it keeps saying waiting for opponent. (There is no one else to battle and it’ll keep saying that until someone comes to battle you)
Issue that will be worked on after project is confirmed:
• When I try to roll, my character teleports halfway into the ground and then pops back up.(I don't have the experience to make my own animations and this is a substitute until I find a rolling/dashing/etc. to the side animation)
• nothing different happens when I attack after jumping (I haven't gotten around to adding this)
• the multiplayer has slow or none functioning connection. (Due to fact that I do not want to spend funds on a project that may not come into exist, I am using the free connection options provided by exit game's photon software.)
• In single player mode, the enemy doesn’t do anything. (AI is a pain to set up effectively and for testing I just want a dummy to work with. If the project is given the good to go. I’ll definitely add this.)
Issue that are still being worked on:
• the credit screen is incomplete (I need to go back and remember where I got all these assets.
• Mobile version is still not available

[spoiler= version 0.0.2]

01/04/2016
Sorry for the month long break, everyone. Busy with the holidays and traveling but I'm back now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kypsyc8c0swm1s7/Fire_Emblem_Fan-Made_Fighting_Game_v0.0.2.zip
Inside the zip file is the game, a guide on how to set it up, and a guide on how to report a bug.

qwV6CX4.png

Version notes:
-Added Photon Plus and Bolt that should improve online connectivity
-created own movement code due to difficulty with the unity physics engine after build
-removed full screen mode as default due to difficulties with full screen
-removed all quality settings except fantastic due to various issues
-added a new camera angle to view the game.
-roll now moves in a curved circle.
-tapping assist will now have your character on the side lines attack.
-reduced the likelyhood assist character running around in a circle.

Known Issues:
-When I try to jump over top of a the enemy character, I just spin around in a circle.(I haven't gotten around to adding this)
-When I try to roll, my character teleports halfway into the ground and then pops back up.(I don't have the experience to make my own animations and this is a substitue until I find a rolling/dashing/etc. to the side animation)
-When I try to switch between my current character and the assisting character, instead of just going to the side lines what was my current character performs an assist attack.(I haven't gotten around to adding this)
-the credit screen is incomplete (I need to go back and remember where I got all these assets.
-there is no guard function (I haven't gotten around to adding this)
-I can't do any combo attacks (I haven't gotten around to adding any)
-nothing different happens when I attack after jumping (I haven't gotten around to adding this)
-after using a weapon for a couple of times it won't let me select it anymore and switched me to my default weapon. (Just like in Fire Emblem, weapons break and become unusable. Use them wisely.)
-I can't change to a certain weapon while playing a certain character (certain characters can only use certain weapon types and must have a high enough level in that type to use higher level weapons. Don't worry weapon level increases over time)
-I’m in multiplayer and it keeps saying waiting for opponent. (There is no one else to battle and it’ll keep saying that until someone comes to battle you)
-the multiplayer has slow or none functioning connection. (Due to fact that I do not want to spend funds on a project that may not come into exist, I am using the free connection options provided by exit game's photon software.)
-while playing in multiplayer, I’ll hit the opponent as they level up or get healed and they don’t take damage.(issue with the free networking service I am using where it take in both updates at the same time and take the input of the other player because they own that object.)
-I am able to interact with the game using the mouse as if I was on the mobile version. (That is intended to making testing easier on me well developing. You may use this if you want but I image it must be difficult.)
-In single player mode, the enemy doesn’t do anything. (AI is a pain to set up effectively and for testing I just want a dummy to work with. If the project is given the good to go. I’ll definitely add this.)

[spoiler= 12-07-2015]

12/07/2015
Hello again everyone,

It has been awhile but I have a "working" version for the desktop. I am experiencing some hardware difficulties with testing the mobile version but, once I can confirm it is able to run, I'll be uploading that very soon.

Before you follow the link to the download, please remember that this is only a prototype and will be very low quality in terms of appearance, online connection and game play balancing. The main thing I am looking to hear by letting people test this prototype is for any game breaking bugs. I plan to send a copy of this to intelligent systems in hopes of getting approval to finish this with no legal conflict but I will cancel this project if I am not given permission. So I would like to make a good first impression.

Known Issues:
-the credit screen is incomplete (I need to go back and remember where I got all these assets.
-tapping assist will just make the character lounge forward and not attack (I haven't gotten around to finishing this)
-nothing different happens when I attack after jumping (I haven't gotten around to adding this)
-I can't move forward or backwards after jumping (I haven't gotten around to fixing this)
-after using a weapon for a couple of times it won't let me select it anymore and switched me to my default weapon. (Just like in Fire Emblem, weapons break and become unusable. Use them wisely.)
-I can't change to a certain weapon while playing a certain character (certain characters can only use certain weapon types and must have a high enough level in that type to use higher level weapons. Don't worry weapon level increases over time)
-assist characters run in circles like idiots (I haven't gotten around to fixing this)
-I’m in multiplayer and it keeps saying waiting for opponent. (There is no one else to battle and it’ll keep saying that until someone comes to battle you)
-the multiplayer has slow or none functioning connection. (Due to fact that I do not want to spend funds on a project that may not come into exist, I am using the free connection options provided by exit game's photon software.)
-while playing in multiplayer, I’ll hit the opponent as they level up or get healed and they don’t take damage.(issue with the free networking service I am using where it take in both updates at the same time and take the input of the other player because they own that object.)
-I am able to interact with the game using the mouse as if I was on the mobile version. (That is intended to making testing easier on me well developing. You may use this if you want but I image it must be difficult.)
-In single player mode, the enemy doesn’t do anything. (AI is a pain to set up effectively and for testing I just want a dummy to work with. If the project is given the good to go. I’ll definitely add this.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/brg396yw67ipa6k/fire_emblem_fan-made_fighting_game.zip

I have not included any explanation of controls because I want to see if players need any explanation but I am including one below encase Players run into difficulties:
(This is what you have to do in the mobile version)
Direction attacks: (can be done by swiping in the direction of the attack over the right side of the screen) performs some action based on the direction of the swipes
Move :( press and hold the move buttons to either move towards or away from your opponent) move you either towards or away from your opponent
Jump :( press the jump button on the screen while on the ground) jumps up
Roll :( press the roll button on the screen while the roll timer is at 0) rolls to the side of the opponent to avoid some attacks
Item :( press the desired weapon button to switch to that weapon when it is available) switches weapon
default weapon:(press the default weapon button to switch to that weapon or hold to class up when you are level10 or higher and have a class to class up too) switches to default weapon or class up character if button is held down for a while that character is level 10 or higher and has a class to class up too.
assist:(press to have your other character assist you or hold to switch character so long as the other character still has HP and is not currently performing an assist action) has the other character assist you or, if held down while the other character is not preforming an assist action and has HP, switched you to that character.

Similar to fire emblem, in this game you use weapons to attack that greatly alter the character's way of attack but is still similar to other characters using the same weapon.
AXE(slow powerful melee attacks):
hO9dbWx.png

Tome(ranged magic attacks):HcgZIzu.png
staff(healing and other effects):IjMlNqV.png

Also, like fire emblem, you can class up:
Before:
7vUttFM.png
After:

eAgDy4H.png

[spoiler= Original post]
[Original post]
Hello Everyone,

Before I start explaining, I want to clarify that I am a little knew to these forms and, if I say or do anything wrong, I do apologize in advance.

As the title suggests, I have been working on a fan made fire emblem fighting game and I almost have a working prototype complete. I am hoping to find people willing to test the prototype for game breaking bugs. (It, currently, looks ugly by my opinion and controls could be a little more fluid but it is a work in progress.) The reason I am looking for testers is because I would like to get approval from intelligent systems to continue working on this with their legal permission, similar to what the team making the Mother 4 fan game did, but I want to at least show them a working program when that time comes.

Hopefully, within the next few weeks, I plan to upload my prototype for anyone to download. There will be two different versions. Though I would ultimately like to make the game exclusively for mobile, I have made a desktop version of the game, in addition to the mobile version. The only difference between the two is that the mobile version only takes touch input while the desktop takes mouse clicks that mimic the mobile's touch input and keyboard input and, in the desktop version, you have the option to change the button scheme for the keyboard from the Main Menu. In addition, the first time you run the desktop version, it will create a file that it will save your custom controls in and it will send you directly to the custom controls windows. (for those of you wondering, I have had other people in the past test my game that have a different keyboard setup then the American setup I'm so use too and they really appreciate the option to edit the controls to work with their keyboard.)

For those interested in my project, I would like to share one odd thing about this that may not make sense now but, hopefully, will when you see the prototype. I am not making a fighting game with a fire emblem theme. I am making a fire emblem game with a greater focus on fighting mechanics.

EDIT: I should have clarified when I said mobile I meant android. I plan to get an apple id in the future but, as of right now, I don't have one. Sorry to all the apple users out there.

Edited by blazingorange

Thanks MCProductions and Singaara I'll be sure to let you know when I'm finished. It may be a little while though. I am still working out some bugs with the online multi-player. Also, I may have over looked it but is there some way I can easily notify a group of people on this forum when I make a new thread or does this forum use some kind of subscription that notifies you when I do this?

Also, I may have over looked it but is there some way I can easily notify a group of people on this forum when I make a new thread or does this forum use some kind of subscription that notifies you when I do this?

There isn't (to prevent spam), but everyone who's volunteered so far comes here a lot and will notice pretty quickly if you make another thread.

That said, don't bother making a new thread, PM a mod to get this one moved or just change its title yourself instead.

they can choose to "follow" this topic and would get notified instantly. That's how they would subscribe to a thread (you can also "follow" the section itself). But like Czar said. People will see it regardless.

Thank you Czar_Yoshi and Ghastly. I may be posting this sooner then expected. I was able to fix a few bugs with a fairly simple fix. I just have to make one or two more corrections and I should be good. This isn't a promise but I'm thinking I'll have this ready before next weekend. Does anyone have any preference of where they would like to see this upload?

• 2 weeks later...

lol you can't take screenshots off your computer?

yes screen shots of gameplay is what i meant

So I can take a screen shot of gameplay but I can't take do that off my computer... Well, when I finally get over this mobile issue with unity, I'll take screen shots off my phone. :t:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the month long break, everyone. Busy with the holidays and traveling but I'm back now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kypsyc8c0swm1s7/Fire_Emblem_Fan-Made_Fighting_Game_v0.0.2.zip

TWkrAU6.png

Version notes:
-Added Photon Plus and Bolt that should improve online connectivity
-created own movement code due to difficulty with the unity physics engine after build
-removed full screen mode as default due to difficulties with full screen
-removed all quality settings except fantastic due to various issues
-added a new camera angle to view the game.
-roll now moves in a curved circle.
-tapping assist will now have your character on the side lines attack.
-reduced the likelyhood assist character running around in a circle.
Known Issues:
-When I try to jump over top of a the enemy character, I just spin around in a circle.(I haven't gotten around to adding this)
-When I try to roll, my character teleports halfway into the ground and then pops back up.(I don't have the experience to make my own animations and this is a substitue until I find a rolling/dashing/etc. to the side animation)
-When I try to switch between my current character and the assisting character, instead of just going to the side lines what was my current character performs an assist attack.(I haven't gotten around to adding this)
Edited by blazingorange