Fire Emblem Fan Fighting Game

blazingorange

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I'm feeling that, with appearance and content aside, I'm almost ready to show this prototype to Intelligent Systems so I can ask for permission to see this project through. I am aware I am lacking on content so I may try to add a few more characters. So I'll probably start taking suggestions. Keep in mind, I still don't have the resources to add more weapon types.So any characters added must use of the 3 weapon types I have. Additionally, I will need to know what growth stats to give that character(this doesn't mean make it up. I want the stats from their original game) and you can maybe list some ways to make them special but I don't plan to add any of that, yet. Last, remember that I intend to make all characters available.

Below is the link to play the game.

http://www.mediafire...0.3_Desktop.zip

Inside the zip file is the game, a guide on how to set it up, and a guide on how to report a bug.

TWkrAU6.png

Version notes: Added content:

• if equipped with axe1 and you preform a back attack, you will now throw an axe at your opponent

• if you are equipped with an axe and enter the combo (down, up) you will do a kick after the normal down attack.(kick does nothing. unless the axe happens to hit them. This is just there to test combo system)

Fixes:

• Made enemy select background red and changed text when selecting enemy to avoid confusion

• Fixed issue where character spins while trying to jump over enemy

• added guard function (Mobile:can be done by holding finger over attack input area)

• Fixed issue where character that you were before switching to your assist character will preform an assist attack instead of just moving to the side line

• Fixed Issue where characters don't take damage while leveling up.

Known Issues: Not Actually an issue:

• after using a weapon for a couple of times it won't let me select it anymore and switched me to my default weapon. (Just like in Fire Emblem, weapons break and become unusable. Use them wisely.)

• I can't change to a certain weapon while playing a certain character (certain characters can only use certain weapon types and must have a high enough level in that type to use higher level weapons. Don't worry weapon level increases over time)

• I am able to interact with the game using the mouse as if I was on the mobile version. (That is intended to making testing easier on me well developing. You may use this if you want but I image it must be difficult.)

• I’m in multiplayer and it keeps saying waiting for opponent. (There is no one else to battle and it’ll keep saying that until someone comes to battle you)

Issue that will be worked on after project is confirmed:

• When I try to roll, my character teleports halfway into the ground and then pops back up.(I don't have the experience to make my own animations and this is a substitute until I find a rolling/dashing/etc. to the side animation)

• nothing different happens when I attack after jumping (I haven't gotten around to adding this)

• the multiplayer has slow or none functioning connection. (Due to fact that I do not want to spend funds on a project that may not come into exist, I am using the free connection options provided by exit game's photon software.)

• In single player mode, the enemy doesn’t do anything. (AI is a pain to set up effectively and for testing I just want a dummy to work with. If the project is given the good to go. I’ll definitely add this.)

Issue that are still being worked on:

• the credit screen is incomplete (I need to go back and remember where I got all these assets.

• Mobile version is still not available

What will you do if they say no/don't respond? Keep working on it anyway?

In that case, I have two plans. I may retry with the current owner of "Tear Ring of Saga" or another fire emblem like game or any game that could easily fit into my system. The other plan is just go full indie and scrape off all the fire emblem content and try to use whatever is left. I have put thought into this second plan so I am prepared if it comes to it. This isn't the first time I've cancelled a project.The main reason I'm doing this is because there have been other times were companies will force people to take down fan project. Though I don't have evidence for this and I am no lawyer, I feel most companies are just protecting their IP. Half the time, they are really mad at someone else but, if that person can say that the company isn't suing someone that did something like it before them and they thought it was okay because of them, you can't touch them until sue the guy that did it before them. Does anyone remember when Nintendo pulled a bunch of fan games from newgrounds?

Not sure why I'm just realizing this but all the older versions were only for windows. Since I want as much help as possible, I've made a mac version of the game. Also, I know it says v0.0.4 but it is really still v0.0.3 Sure I did add a new walking animation for tomes but that is it. So yeah, hint-hint next update is focused on making everything less ugly. Additionally, the android version is working now. So there is that too. Lastly, I will probably not be making an iPhone version in the near future due to apple's yearly fee of $100. If I get the green light from intelligent systems, I will, immediately, work on an iPhone version but, till then, I'm not spending money.

Mac http://www.mediafire.com/download/u53f5i9150yz20c/Fire_Emblem_Fan_Fighting_Game_v0.0.4_desktop-mac.app.zip

Android http://www.mediafire.com/download/kflt6t2mi23ngd5/Fire_Emblem_Fan-Made_Fighting_Game_v0.0.4_Mobile.apk

Windows v0.0.3 http://www.mediafire.com/download/g6b3ffmbqgobsgy/Fire_Emblem_Fan-Made_Fighting_Game_v0.0.3_Desktop.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings again everyone. Sorry about the month long silence but I'm back again with a major graphical update, support for linux, a web based version for any one that can install the unity player plugin ontheir browser, and a better temporary name. This may be the last update before I ask for approval from Intelligent Systems and Nintendo so any advice would be nice.

Windows http://www.mediafire.com/download/p6vl3625prz73zz/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6_-_Desktop.zip
Mac http://www.mediafire.com/download/mp4l64zte8yvs1e/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6_-_Mac.exe.app.zip

Linux http://www.mediafire.com/download/h4j81ald3zxovy1/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6_-_Linux.zip

Web http://blazingorangegames.weebly.com/fire-emblem-grand-arena1.html
Android http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ey4y576zcg81cr/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6_-_Mobile.apk

• Main Menu, Character select, enemy select, and GUI in combat changed
• Music added to
Main Menu, Character select, enemy select, and GUI in combat changed

• Custom control save feature no longer saves as a txt file on your computer but uses the Unity PlayerPref feature

• hitbox system reworked to allow hitboxes to appear on any body part or weapon(standard axe combo down,up now has hitbox on kicking leg)

• When clicking select when choosing a character or item now also automatically moves to the next menu similar to double clicking on a character or item icon

• Barrier and timer added to combat

okay, so.

You need to work on on your user interface. right now its really clunky and unintuitive. I seriously had no idea how to even play the game. I think right now you're over-complicating things by giving me 4 weapons to use especially since they all feel the same.

Most real time fighting games just give you one weapon and let you have at it. Why are you giving me 4 to use?

So i finally start playing and its kinda smooth, I understand the graphical restrictions but... the enemies don't even fight me. They don't even move either. They just let me hit them. I didn't even realize I was doing damage either, there's no hit sound effects and i don't remember if the enemy has "taking damage" animations, but it was over before I realized it, then the game crashed...

I think you're trying to over complicate this way too much. What was that vertical bar on the side?

I think you should focus on being less ambitious and just focus on making a 1vs1 battle as functional as possible. Right now I have no idea what I'm doing.

okay, so.

You need to work on on your user interface. right now its really clunky and unintuitive. I seriously had no idea how to even play the game. I think right now you're over-complicating things by giving me 4 weapons to use especially since they all feel the same.

Most real time fighting games just give you one weapon and let you have at it. Why are you giving me 4 to use?

So i finally start playing and its kinda smooth, I understand the graphical restrictions but... the enemies don't even fight me. They don't even move either. They just let me hit them. I didn't even realize I was doing damage either, there's no hit sound effects and i don't remember if the enemy has "taking damage" animations, but it was over before I realized it, then the game crashed...

I think you're trying to over complicate this way too much. What was that vertical bar on the side?

I think you should focus on being less ambitious and just focus on making a 1vs1 battle as functional as possible. Right now I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'll be honest but hate to admit you're right. The main idea behind this project was to fuse elements from the fire emblem series with a typical fighting game mechanics to create a new kind of game but it has become obvious that massive slow pace combat and small fast paced combat just don't seem to mix. I'll try to explain the whole plan in detail and see if you or some else can assist in making this more practical without completely changing everything but I'm kind of losing faith.

So the main focus with all the items was to replicate the multiple items you use in fire emblem and each weapon will have its own fighting style. Each character does have a main unbreakable default weapon but they can also have the other weapon to mix up play style and take advantage of other weapons weakness.

[spoiler= plans for each weapon]

Sword is fast and good at dodging but has weak multi-hitting attacks

Lance has large hitboxes and is better at blocking but is not a little slow and bad at dodging

Axe is slow but powerful

bow and arrow are great from attacking at range and dodging but is limited at close range

tome is okay at close and long range combat but can't really block or dodge

staff will do something differently based on what staff you have.(mainly just healing)

I may have also split tome into anim/fire, light/lighting, and dark/wind so I had more weapon types covered but I didn't know what I was going to do with them.

I didn’t want to place all the focus on the weapon. I still wanted each player to be unique but easy to add and, with what I said so far, it only matters what items you can use, their main weapon, and their stats. So I would gave each character special combo or alternate moves with certain weapon to help mix it up. I was, also, planning to pull the stats for each character from the games but I thought that wouldn’t work because they all don’t have fixed stats and some characters had far better starting stats then others. So, I was going to take the level up mechanic from the games and have them level up mid battle. (That is the bar on the sides of the screen. Left is yours right is opponent.) Low level characters could gain higher stats then their high level counter parts but can be easily squished at the being. On top of that, I thought to add the class up mechanic to give low class characters access to more weapon types. Though now it was either pick a strong character and immediately crush the squashy opponent or fail and get squashed by the formerly squashy opponent. So, I added the pair up function from awakening so now you can mix it up a little bit and maybe pick a big guy to start the fight and let the squashy guy grow on the sidelines. I, also, threw in the weapon rank mechanic for even more diversity but, in hind sight, the durability would have been enough.

With this huge template in mind, new characters would have been as simple as adding in all the stats, growth stats, class, promotion classes, weapon level, main weapon, and any special moves I was going to give that character. This all sounded great in theory but now there is so much going on in the fight in such a short period of time it is very deterring.

• 2 weeks later...

02/25/2016

PLEASE READ BEFORE CHECKING NEW VERSION

So I got an answer from Nintendo and it is vague. I'll leave the whole message below but, in short, they said they don't like anyone using there IP but, if what I'm doing doesn't violate their policies, it is okay. They didn't tell what their policies are and said that I'm expected to figure that out for myself. So I kinda feel like they stopped reading at fan game and said we don't really care but we're not giving you the thumps up encase you actually have something bad planned.

I'll be honest I'm starting to get cold feet. Not entirely because of what Nintendo said but, also, the game play is starting to get too complex for a fighting game. There is enough complexity that trying to remember exp, level, weapon type, weapon level, all 8 stats, classes, etc. is simply to much to take into account and the amount of time it takes to start a fight more then the average fighting game player is use too. Not to mention, all this time and effort just to have fun for a 2 minute match.

I am going to, ultimately, need to make a lot of big changes and this is going to start to drift away from the idea of the hybrid of standard fire emblem mechanics and standard fighting game mechanics. I'm considering, despite Nintendo's possible approval, to make my own indie title but I feel a little guilt of backing out of my promise for a fire emblem fighting game. I would link to know everyone's general opinion on this matter.

Additionally, I have two main plans to rework the game into a more playable fanshion and I would, also, like an opinion on this.

Option 1:

Literally make it like fire emblem but, instead of the battles happen automatically, you get thrown into a mini fight with just the weapon you have equipped. All levels, classes, item selection, and assists are handled outside of the battle like in fire emblem.

Option 2:

I remove assists, level ups, class ups, bring down item space to just main and 2 side, and reduce stats to just health, attack, and defense. I may add like a special gauge to help give weaker fire emblem characters something but, with all attacks mostly determined by equipped weapon, a lot of fighters are going to feel the same.

[spoiler=Nintendo's message]
Hello,

Thanks for writing and for your patience awaiting our reply. We've been quite busy lately, which has affected our response times. I appreciate your interest in Nintendo and all our video game products. To us, it represents a great sign of success and recognition of the Nintendo brand.

We are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use Nintendo properties; however, we receive thousands of requests and do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline all such requests, no exceptions. I realize this isn’t what you wanted to hear and thank you for understanding.

Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo properties without our formal permission may still be allowed depending on the circumstances. You are encouraged to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. This is not a comment on whether we believe your particular proposed use is permissible—Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.

Below is the link to download all version of the game:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4j6h307q69wdn9y/Fire_Emblem_Grand_Arena_v0.0.6.zip

• Add sword and lance as usable weapons, classes that can use those weapons, and characters to be in those classes.
Edited by blazingorange