Fates Fanfiction Central (Spoilers)

NekoKnight

@Thane, It's not fanfiction but recently I've been watching Berserk and it's like a Fire Emblem anime.

@Tolvir, I'm loving that backstory for Scarlet and Gunter. I have some questions:

If the Dusk Dragon (somehow it sounds cooler as a human than an actual dragon) ruled Nohr just before the king before Garon, isn't that a short period of time for his legacy to be so mysterious? If Hoshido is still the prosperous nation that they are in the canon story, why did they want to raid Nohr? Why did Garon distance himself from his crusader knights when it was Hoshido that double-crossed him?

The main fic of Dameceles's universe, Into a Walled Garden, is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Very political, and amazing character explorations, especially for Marx/Xander and Hinoka. The side stories are where the smut happens, and even then they have very good characterization and lots of interesting worldbuilding. I highly recommend the AMOS series, even if you only read Into a Walled Garden.

I knew that was floating around somewhere. Thanks for the link.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Thane, It's not fanfiction but recently I've been watching Berserk and it's like a Fire Emblem anime.

@Tolvir, I'm loving that backstory for Scarlet and Gunter. I have some questions:

If the Dusk Dragon (somehow it sounds cooler as a human than an actual dragon) ruled Nohr just before the king before Garon, isn't that a short period of time for his legacy to be so mysterious? If Hoshido is still the prosperous nation that they are in the canon story, why did they want to raid Nohr? Why did Garon distance himself from his crusader knights when it was Hoshido that double-crossed him?

I knew that was floating around somewhere. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for pointing those out, its kind of why I posted this here, to gets some feedback on refining it. With the Dusk Dragon I will probably add a few more kings in the line before Garon pops up. Add a few hundred years before him to make it a bit more understandable as to why there isn't any information on him. I figured having him more of a mystery as to whether he was human, dragon, or in the middle like Corrin would make it interesting. One of my ideas is of him being a deity in disguise almost like Fizban in Dragonlance really being Paladine. His backstory isnt the last time he would show up in the story.

With Hoshido my plan was to rewrite them a bit, and to have them have a bit of a bad history that they are trying to change. I was trying to reverse the situation with Nohr and Hoshido by having Hoshido be evil at first, and are trying to "redeem" themselves now, and Nohr be good at first, and taking an evil plunge now. Thought it would make for an interesting mirror of themselves type situation, but it definitely needs more refining.

Unfortunately I didn't touch on as much as I should have with Garon. Overall he is angry at both. He is angry at Hoshido for assassinating his wife, so its why he starts the war with them. He is also angry at the Knights because in his eyes they failed at their one job, and let his wife die, so he also blames them for his wife being dead.

One of the biggest problems I am having is to try and find a way to rewrite Revelation to make more sense, and to add this entire new plotline in. One thing I was thinking was removing Valla all together, and writing Anankos as just a fallen deity that is trying to escape the "prison" he has been set it much like the Titans in Greek Mythology. It could also help explain Iago's reason for being their as I can explain that he is there as a follower of Anankos and is here to try and weaken up the land before his return. Have Iago manipulating the situation with Garon by pretty much controlling a broken King and using him as a puppet. It would help explain Garon's anger towards the knights when you have Iago in his ear telling him everything he wants to hear and saying that the knights are the reason his wife is dead.

Edited by Tolvir

So I've almost finished writing chapter 1 of my rebooted story, but I figured I'd get some things checked out first in regards to villains.

[spoiler=Anankos]

[spoiler=Motivation]

His motivation is twofold;

-Firstly, he's old, weak (by his standards anyway) and dying as a result of the madness and the shenanigans involving the split personality stuff. As a means of avoiding his death and regaining his old strength, he wants to possess Kamui's body.

-Secondly, back before he went off the deep-end, his insistence of not getting directly involved in the various issues of the world led to catastrophic consequences (the rebellion of the Dark Dragons and the war that led to the extinction of the Dragons being the main one). He's noticed that humanity is starting to make a lot of the same mistakes that led to the fall of the Dragon Kingdoms, so he's decided that he's the only one competent enough to run the world

[spoiler=Weakness]

-Dragon's aren't immortal and neither is Anankos. He's entered his equivalent of early seventies and is very much feeling the physical weakness that comes with his age (even though he's still far and away the most physically powerful person in the Fates Universe when Azura isn't around). He's also suffering from the side effects of the insanity that Dragons go through, which is their equivalent of Alzheimer's and has similar symptoms.

-He's been doing a lot of power-splitting. Each of the original elemental dragons were given a fragment of his power, as well as each of the holy weapons and Azura's pendant.

-The split that resulted in his good and evil halves becoming separate beings has taken away a fair amount of his abilities (Light, Astral, Wind and Earth Magic, which leaves him with 'only' Dark, Fire, Water and Storm).

[spoiler=Stats]

Anankos

Primordial Dragon

Inventory: Invisible Breath (1), Invisible Breath (2)

Skills: Mysterious Illness, Rightful God, Eclipse, Nihil, Galeforce, Empyreal Protection

Stats:
HP- 286
Str- 50
Mag- 50
Skl- 50
Spd- 50
Lck- 50
Def- 50
Res- 50

Mysterious Illness: Strength, Magic and Speed decrease by 5 after each battle

Rightful God: Increases skill activation by 30%

Eclipse: Skill% Chance to negate enemy defence (if using a physical weapon) or resistance (if using a magical weapon) as well as inflicting x5 damage

Nihil: Prevents enemies from activating special skills

Empyreal Protection: Can only be damaged by Holy Weapons and Dragonstones, reduces damage taken by half, Immune to counter and poison type skills as well as critical hits and stat reductions.

NOTE: This is only how strong he is at the start of the story. Because of his issues, he's a lot weaker by the time the heroes fight him in Valla

[spoiler=Garon, Arete and Sumeragi]

[spoiler=Motivation]

-Anankos raised them to be his servants, but raised them to retain their memories since his health issues means he can't directly be involved in his plot until Kamui is possessed. However, because they retain their memories, they also remember that they're trying to oppose him and why. So even though they've been given a series of commandments, they do their best to employ loop-hole abuse to try and sabotage him from within. They have to be careful though, since even though Anankos is suffering from Dragon Alzheimer's, he still has a pretty good chance of uncovering their schemes if they don't cover their tracks well enough

[spoiler=In-game stats]

King Garon

Nohrian King

Inventory: Bolverk

Skills: Way of the Conqueror, Dragon Skin, Armoured Blow, Lifetaker, Savage Blow, Status Immunity

Stats:
HP- 70
Str- 37
Mag- 22
Skl- 30
Spd- 30
Lck- 14
Def- 32
Res- 27

Way of the Conqueror- Pavise+

Emperor Sumeragi

Shogun

Inventory: Hagakure

Skills: Way of the Shogun, Status Immunity, Duelist's Blow, Astra, Swordfaire, Dragonskin

Stats:
HP- 55
Str- 34
Mag- 22
Skl- 33
Spd- 33
Lck- 14
Def- 29
Res- 30

Way of the Shogun- Vantage+

Queen Arete

Vallite Queen

Inventory: Excalibur, Enfeeble

Skills: Healing Descant, Dragonskin, Status Immunity, Galeforce, Warp, Awakening

Stats:
HP- 60
Str- 20
Mag- 36
Skl- 31
Spd- 32
Lck- 14
Def- 27
Res- 35

Edited by Phillius

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to try to do my own fanfiction as I had some ideas myself, but I certainly going to need help. But this is my first public writing project, so don't expect a masterpiece.

1. What routes are you working on? Is it an amalgamation of all three? Is it an alternate universe style retelling?

I am focusing on Birthright for now, but I am going to do Conquest if I do well with the former (under the names "Blood" and "Bond" respectively.

2. What notable changes would you make to the plot?

Well it sort of started with searching around on the official website. I found that the site said that you will have to work to earn your siblings trust in the birthright route. I found it quite amusing, since the siblings (save Takumi) trusted you from the start. But then I thought, "What if you were actually doing that?” Similarly, the birthright choice in the "Branching Point of Fate" said "Defend Hoshido". Since it sounds way better than "Play Hide and Seek with Hoshido," Why don't we just do that?

Basically, In Fire Emblem Fates: Blood, Corrin is trying to rebuild his trust and relationship with his forgotten Hoshidan Kin, and at the same time, assisting them as they repel various attacks from the invading Nohr Kingdom on important locations in Hoshido.

I am still thinking about what will happen with Fates: Bond though, I need some ideas.

· Are problematic elements (the curse, the magic throne, the crystal ball, operation tears, Nohr and Hoshido being too black and white, everything Aqua does) going to be addressed?

I will be throwing most of those out the window, except the curse. I need to know more about its problems before I decide whether or not I can fix it.

Edit: Yeah, it’s out.

· Are there any themes to be communicated over each route?

Blood covers the dangers of mistrust and doubt.

· What is the overall direction and "point" of each route?

I think I need to know what exactly you mean by this.

3. What notable changes would you make to the characters?

Most of the characters are the same as their canon counterparts, but I will be trying to tweak their major problems without creating an entirely new person. I am however considering having Kagero and Hinoka switch places.

What is Kamui all about (background, personality, abilities)?

Corrin is a prince (princess if I do bond) in the same situation as the original story. He, however, is not "worshiped" by everyone like in the game. Corrin's personality is similar to his canon one, but much smarter, but also not quite as honest. Corrin also still has his dragon fang abilities but they are more important here than in the original (where Corrin turns to a dragon, and this ability is never addressed again).

· What is Aqua all about (personality, role in the plot)?

Azura is a songstress who was originally a Nohr princess, but she ran to Hoshido as a young child due to Garon’s oppression on Nohr. She is still reserved, though somewhat arrogant. She is still the dueteragonist of story, but this will be more apparent.

· What are the Hoshidan and Nohrian siblings all about (personalities, roles in the plot)?

Nohr

· Xander: The crown prince of the Nohrian family. The most powerful man in Nohr (besides Garon) Xander is mostly calm and level headed, and protective of his family. He does, however, fails to understand the façade that Garon has hid himself under to his children, who is not quite the same towards others outside the castle. Wields the legendary Siegfried.

· Camilla: The eldest princess of the Nohr family. In this story, I introduced her to the world of pants (sorry fanboys). She is a very motherly figure, and quite doting to all her younger siblings. She is, however, merciless too her foes.

· Leo: The youngest prince of the Nohrian royal family. The head of magic in Nohr, Leo is a magical prodigy, and has quite a reputation of coldness among the Nohrian citizens. Despite this, he is very absent minded, and not only does it leave him with his clothes inside out and backwards (I can totally relate) it also interferes with his magic. Wields the legendary Brynhilder.

· Elise: The youngest princess of the Nohrian family. Seen by her older siblings as “the only light of Nohr” she is very cheerful and adoring of all her siblings (especially Corrin, who she spent the most time with) wishing to be like them some day.

Hoshido

· Ryoma: The crown prince of the Hoshidan royal family. The most powerful man in Hoshido, and a follower of Bushido, Ryoma is kind, but somewhat hotheaded and short tempered. He is very aware of this, and hard on himself for it.

· Hinoka/Kagero*: The eldest princess of the Hoshidan royal family. (short and bland like the canon XD)

· Takumi: The youngest prince of Hoshidan family. Dealing with inferiority complex, Takumi is somewhat envious of the attention his other siblings get, and wants to improve himself to get himself to stand out. He is very distrusting, and quite paranoid about Nohrian activity. Wields the legendary Fujjin (I forgot how its spelled).

· Sakura: The youngest princess of the Hoshidan family. She is pretty shy and reserved, except around Azura. She is not very fond of this however, and she wants this reversed.

*I am considering switching HInoka’s role with Kagero’s. I will add more info once I made my decision.

· What is Hydra all about (role in the plot)?

· What is Garon, Mikoto, Lilith or any other important character all about?

· What changes will be made to minor characters

4. What notable changes would you make to the setting?

Details coming soon.

· What ideas do you have for world building?

· What kind of history does this continent have?

· What is the balance of natural and supernatural elements?

· Are the Faceless and invisible enemies in your story?

5. Do any characters die?

Oh yeah..... :B)::B)::B):

6. Do you introduce any new characters?

No, all the characters are canon.

7. Are any characters going to be cut?

I really want to avoid this, but we will see what the future holds.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. Will update more in the future (if someone else already had a similar idea though, forget I was here.)

Edited by Blade_of_Light

In my AMOS series, Fold Childhood Clothes Away and To Ride On Shoulders also are T rated and under with no sexual content. I have a thread on this site where I post updates for the non M+ fics in that series.

Oh I wrote an FE14 modern!AU oneshot where Amusia is essentially Vegas: Bird's Milk

Good to see more people are playing in this FE14 sandbox.

I figured I should probably work on this seeing I want to write for Fates as well.

1. What routes are you working on? Is it an amalgamation of all three? Is it an alternate universe style retelling?

It is an alternate universe retelling with Awakening. Keywords are 'polygamy', 'siblings', and 'reunion'

Each child grows normally with the parent in question. Also, the routes I am thinking about for Shigure and Dwyer is the ones where their mother, Azura, dies. More on that soon. The Deeprealms are only mention to introduce Odin, Lazlow, and Selena as well as bring in Justine and Gilbert and their families.

Are problematic elements (the curse, the magic throne, the crystal ball, operation tears, Nohr and Hoshido being too black and white, everything Aqua does) going to be addressed? The War between Nohr and Hoshido will indeed be addressed as the children of the two Corrins in this story will probably even out the 'Pick me!' That each of the siblings did. Having two Corrins would either make this solved or will make it worse. Rioci/Ryoki and Miaco/Miyako are also reincarnations of the Awakening tacticians, Gilbert and Justine.

Are there any themes to be communicated over each route? 'Conquest' would communicate the love Rioci/Ryoki has for Niles, Peri, and Scarlet, and how he is conflicted about Scarlet's choice to fight for Hoshido. He would hopefully be more assertive on his mercifulness and King Garon himself would only listen because Rioci/Ryoki is a chip off his adoptive father with the amount of mistresses he has. Hans only spares her life the same way Clopin spares Pierre the poet's life in the Hunchback of Notre Dame - so Esmeralda (or in this case, Rioci/Ryoki) marries Pierre(Scarlet). This could also actually communicate how Garon was before he was goop-man (something that won't happen in this one because that plot-point was pretty disappointing). Miaco/Miyako meanwhile is on the side of Hoshido. As Ryoma pushes her to forgive herself for abandoning her family in Nohr (including her actual twin brother, Rioci/Ryoki), Miaco/Miyako seeked asylum by her affairs with Izana and Yukimura, who both have mixed feelings on 'sharing' the princess of Hoshido's attention. Ryoma would be a concerned older brother but in the sanctimonious way that nobody liked Hoshido for in the first place. He would hate that Miaco/Miyako chose this path.

The choices that Rioci/Ryoki and Miaco/Miyako make in their decision to marry results in the siblings following suit as well as Siegbert (marrying Sophie) Forrest (marrying Soleil and Rhajat), Shiro (Caeldori) and Kiragi (Percy[?]) have a polygamous relationship despite some of them marrying Hoshidans for it. Percy himself is also struggling as his sense of justice that he grew up sharing with his father could shatter because his love for Soleil, Ophelia, Kiragi, and Velouria. Ophelia is scared for her life as she is hiding her own relationship with Shigure and Dwyer. Xander is marrying Nyx but is having an affair with Hinoka. Ryoma marries Orochi but holds feelings for Camilla that conflict with his view on how relationships SHOULD work. Elise loves Odin but at the same time, she wants to get to know Takumi (who is married to Oboro) more. Leo and Sakura's relationship gets added in with Mozu (who married Hayato) in the mix. And finally, Camilla herself is conflicted because she wants to practice what she preaches to Lazlow but everytime she sees Ryoma, her heart begins to flutter (and she loves Rioci/Ryoki as well but that relationship won't go anywhere).

What is the overall direction and "point" of each route? Conquest focuses on how Nohr can be a better place if Corrin opens his mouth more to object his father more and make Garon known for what he was as a father to the other siblings. Birthright focuses on that as well, changing Ryoma's execution of his ideology in the process. Add a thing revealing Gilbert and Justine and you have a long story about how come Nohr and Hoshido can come to an understanding with love. Wait...

3. What notable changes would you make to the characters? Once again - No goop Monster

What is Kamui all about (background, personality, abilities)? Rioci/Ryoki and Miaco/Miyako are twins born under Mikoto. They are the descendants of Anankos, much like how their reincarnations were vessels to Grima.

What is Aqua all about (personality, role in the plot)? Azura helps for a short amount of time maintain both parties, even marrying the siblings off to their loved ones (and blessing their children). However, she dies off to make room for Jakob's part in the story (a hurt butler that could not persuade Miaco/Miyako to stay in Nohr).

What are the Hoshidan and Nohrian siblings all about (personalities, roles in the plot)? Ryoma would have the most screen time, being the main conflict that Miaco/Miyako has. He would frown upon Miaco/Miyako for stooping to a Nohrian level. Camilla is Ryoma's Nohrian female counterpart but only in a small level. She would want to be a part of Rioci/Ryoki's life but she would ultimately push herself away because of her marriage to Lazlow.

What is Garon, Mikoto, Lilith or any other important character all about? Garon is the antagonist in Rioci/Ryoki's story, not being a goop monster but becoming more and more corrupt with Iago's influence. Mikoto is a mother of twin dragons, which scares many people in Hoshido. Her relationship with Anankos and Sumeragi also comes into play for Miaco/Miyako's relationship between Yukimura (who loved her) and Izana. Lilith is going to be cut out.

What is Hydra all about (role in the plot)? Anankos and Sumeragi actually met and while conflicted by Mikoto's decision to marry them both also influence Anankos to eventually become Hydra, angry by Mikoto's choice. Arrete is one of Garon's mistresses further pointing to Garon approving of Rioci/Ryoki marrying Niles, Kaze's wife, Peri, and Scarlet.

What changes will be made to minor characters? Kaze shares Peri with Rioci/Ryoki for a while, Peri bringing Midori into the story. However, he will die because he failed to communicate with Miaco/Miyako. Jakob marries Azura and brings Shigure and Dwyer into the world, Ophelia marrying the two. When Azura dies, Jakob attempts suicide with a similar thought process but Rioci/Ryoki stopping him.

4. What notable changes would you make to the setting? Polygamy plays a strong role in this as power players struggle with this. While it is the downfall to Mikoto and Garon's character, it starts a revolution with their children.

What ideas do you have for world building? The religion of Hoshido. Why are they sanctimonious?

What kind of history does this continent have? I am still thinking on this.

What is the balance of natural and supernaturual elements? Deeprealms don't age people and therefore there is no reason for abandonment. So the children all grow at the same age.

Are the Faceless and invisible enemies in your story? They are a minor role. Mainly because they would invade Rioci/Ryoki and Miaco/Miyako's meeting place - Their small haildom of Rim Elm. They would come with Gilbert and Justine out of the Deeprealms.

5. Do any characters die? Azura and Kaze do indeed die. This leaves Midori with Rioci/Ryoki as a father and Shigure and Dwyer are motherless.

6. Do you introduce any new characters? Awakening characters - Justine's suitors (Virion, Yen'fay, and Priam) and Gilbert's brides (Tiki and Say'ri.) Also, both Corrins and Robins will have children. Luckily they won't come up unless asked,

7. Are any characters going to be cut? Lilith. There is probably going to be more but that depends on their role in the story.

TL;DR I want to make an Anthology series but I am trying to connect it somehow.

Might as well post what I got down (and that will probably never see the light of day, but nonetheless)...

[spoiler=Details]

Notes:

- This retelling tries to keep most of the Birthright and Conquest vanilla storyline intact, but tries to be more logical with its actions, as well as some creative liberties thrown in. Revelations has some shared points with the original, but will be rewritten.

- As for format, the retelling will take the form of an actual game. So, instead of normal fanfiction and words of text, the format will be more of a game script with music cues, backgrounds, and character actions. There are also planned to be Base Conversations (like FE 9 & 10) that expand on various things, such as world building and character development.

- Deep Realms still exist, but are more used more as a justification for challenge maps instead of harboring children.

- The “S” Rank support now just means a paired ending, opening up more options. These paired endings can still end in marriage.

- Child characters have been changed or revised as the Children mechanic has been scrapped. 3 Children have been turned into NPCs while 2 have been cut completely. The two cut characters have OC replacements.

Main Characters - Changes

Playable

Corrin – Still remains the customizable Avatar character. His personality has been streamlined and remains constant in all three routes.

Azura – Azura practically stays the same as before, guiding Corrin.

Gunter – Now has supports in Revelations.

Kaze – He no longer had a death condition on Birthright, as he will always survive. As for Conquest, it is more difficult to recruit and keep Kaze, but otherwise no changes.

Silas – He is now more difficult to keep in Birthright, but otherwise no changes.

Laslow, Selena, and Odin – They have a slightly larger role in the overall plot, as per Hidden Truths. Otherwise, mostly the same.

Lilith – Now a playable character and has a slightly larger role in the overall plot.

Flora – Can be persuaded to survive in Birthright (instead of sacrificing Kaze). Has a support with Jakob.

Scarlet – Can be recruited in Conquest under specific conditions, no longer dies in Revelations. Has a support with Ryoma.

Yukimra – Joins the party normally on Birthright instead of using a My Castle gimmick. He now joins in Revelations at endgame.

True!Garon – The Rightful King of Nohr, he is locked up away in Valla. He is a broken man, having lost his wives, children, and kingdom to Anakos. He can be recruited under specific conditions in both Conquest and Revelations, requiring a paralogue to unlock.

Characters not listed here remain practically the same as their vanilla counterparts. However, they may have expanded (and revised) support options.

NPC

Slime!Garon – Still presents as himself as the King of Nohr.

True!Anakos – The true enemy of the entire game, his role is still fairly similar from before.

Heart!Anakos – The “human” part of Anakos. He helps from behind the scenes, but is never really seen in the main story.

Children Characters - Changes

Playable

Kana – A “true blood” sibling of Corrin, he/she is the youngest out of all of the family members. Hair color is shared with Corrin. Usually cheerful, but often feels lonely and cries.

Shigure – Lost brother of Azura. He too can sing with special powers, but he needs to use the Pendant that Azura has. Recruitable only in Revelations.

Sophie – A Cavalier in training under Gunter’s watch. She is distantly related to Silas. Follows Corrin on all routes, available from the start.

Midori – A war orphan saved by Kaze, she has skills with herbs and medicine. Kaze put her in a Deeprealm for her safety, and he must be present to recruit her when her paralogue opens. Should Kaze leave in Conquest, Midori will also leave if she is present.

Siegbert – An inexperienced ruler in a Deeprealm that resembles Nohr. He is found assaulting a rebellious fortress. Otherwise, mostly the same as his vanilla counterpart, even sharing some form of connection with Xander.

Forrest – A cousin of Siegbert, providing both counsel and support for his rule. Otherwise, mostly the same as his vanilla counterpart, sharing some form of connection with Leo.

Velouria – Keaton’s niece, and she is zealously devoted to him ever since her father died. Otherwise, the same as the vanilla.

Percy – He remains as Arthur’s son, but is now in the real world instead of being shipped off to the Deeprealms. Has a paralogue to unlock, requires Arthur to be present.

Ophelia & Soleil – The daughters of Odin and Laslow respectively. After Anakos took the Awakening trio to Fates, Naga (from Awakening) found it suitable that they would receive aid from their children from the future, much like how they helped their parents defeat Grima.

- Soleil may have some revisions to dialogue, but her overall character remains the same.

- Selena comments on why she doesn’t have a child to help her out, which the other two respond rather humorously. (If there is Awakening save data and Severa has an “S” support with either Inigo or Owain, the dialogue will change to reflect this.)

- As for hair color, the default is blonde for Ophelia and pink for Soleil. However, if there is Awakening save data, the hair color will change to reflect that of the “S” rank partner of Owain and Inigo respectively.

- The author knows this is “Fates BS”, but what is a FE game without some nonsense? andauthorbias

Nina – A young thief from the slums and thoroughly acquainted with Niles. She dislikes Niles for attempting to be a father-figure to her. Otherwise, the same as vanilla.

Shiro – A ruler of a Deep Realm that resembles Hoshido, he does not give off any sense of royalty. He is found defending a village from bandits, and has some connection to Ryoma.

Kiragi – A cousin to Shiro, he enjoys hunting and life in general. He has a connection to Takumi.

Selkie – A friend of Kaden’s. Otherwise unchanged from her vanilla self.

Mitama – A shrine maiden who enjoys poetry. Otherwise unchanged from her vanilla self.

Caledori – A freelance Sky Knight, she bears a resemblance to Awakening’s Cordelia and is rather competitive with Subaki. Caledori also has some form of bond with Selena. She is the same as her Fates variant.

Chiyo (OC: Diviner -> Basara) – A member of the Wind Tribe, she is quite a tall woman with a master of scrolls.

Isamu (OC: Oni Savage -> Blacksmith) – A wandering Oni in search for rare materials. He dreams of opening up his own weapon shop someday. Note: Not a ninja because there are already 3 ninjas, and we don’t have a male Oni Savage.

NPC

Dwyer – A Butler in training at the Northern Fortress. He is lazy and dislikes work, but does the best job out of all of the staff present, even senior staff, much to Jakob’s chagrin.

Ignatius – The son of Benny, he is a border guard much like his father.

Hisame – A brother of Hinata. Otherwise, he is like his vanilla self when he appears.

Cut Characters

Asugi & Rharjat – Awakening reincarnations. The only reason Caledori makes it in is that she has connections to Selena. andauthorbias

[spoiler=Developer Notes, Spoilers Ahead!]

Azura

- Azura has become an unwilling pawn of Anakos. If the player follows the Conquest or Birthright path, she accomplishes her duty and fades away. The world is thereafter conquered and destroyed by True!Anakos, but the player is sent back to the “Branch of Fate” by Heart!Anakos in an attempt to break the cycle (Revelations).

- If the player does the Revelations route, Azura will eventually betray the party. Her “role” will be replaced by Shigure, her lost brother. When Azura is finally defeated, she will thank the party for freeing her before she dies.

Kaze

- On Birthright, Kaze will always survive. This moment has been changed over to Flora to persuade her to join the party instead of sacrificing herself.

- Conquest specifics are currently unknown. Kaze will switch sides, but may not remain in your party without certain conditions. (Perhaps if the player executes Shura, Kaze leaves?)

Silas

- To serve as a foil for Kaze being difficult to maintain, Silas will be more difficult to keep in Birthright than Conquest.

- Silas will be blackmailed and turn against Corrin (out of concern for his friend’s safety, “for the greater good”). However, having an A support with Silas will prevent this as Silas sees through the ruse.

Laslow, Selena, and Odin

- They are now more aware of their mission to find Corrin and bring peace to the world of Fates, referencing this in the main story.

- In Birthright, they lament that they could not persuade Corrin and that they were on opposing sides. In Conquest, Corrin does not listen to the trio, not believing what they have to say. In Revelations, they back up what Shigure has to say, further damning Azura’s plight.

Lilith

- Lilith still serves as a “True Blood” sibling to Corrin.

- She will still sacrifice herself on Birthright and Conquest, but this is (hopefully) done in a more meaningful manner. When she does fade away, she leave behind items called “Lilith’s Tears” which are gained per every level Lilith has. This item will grant a level to any unit that uses it, so essentially the player can transfer the EXP of Lilith to other characters to make up for her loss. Normal level up rules apply.

- As for My Castle interactions, whenever Lilith appears in human form (whether she is fielded in battle, working in a shop, or just walking about), an ethereal variant of her Dragon form will appear at the shrine. When Lilith passes, the interaction is the same as vanilla.

Flora

- She can be spared in Birthright if Corrin has an A rank with the “late servant” to the party. So, if the avatar is female, Corrin must have an A rank with Felicia, but if male, an A rank with Jakob. This will require grinding supports as there is only one main story chapter between their join time and Flora’s event.

- The character who has the A rank will successfully convince Flora to stand down and join the party.

Scarlet

- In Conquest, Scarlet can be spared if the player finishes her map quickly enough. She will sneak out alongside a few loyal soldiers, and will come back to help the player during the later chapters (which has a revised arc). If the player is too slow, Corrin will still attempt to free Scarlet, but she gets caught and is made an example out of by Hans and company.

- In Revelations, Scarlet no longer dies, but is knocked out of commission for a chapter (to mimic Elise and Takumi’s roles in Conquest and Birthright).

Yukimra

- In Birthright, he will successfully defend Hoshido and then launch a counteroffensive on Nohr. The player meets him after Chapter 24.

- In Revelations, he will hold the fort down as long as possible, but the Vallites overpower his forces. He will then make his way to Valla and join up with Corrin to finish the fight as quickly as possible.

Kana

- Kana is kept locked away in the Deep Realms by Lilith. When she sacrifices herself in Birthright or Conquest, she tells the Avatar about Kana, opening a paralogue to recruit Kana into the party.

- In Revelations, when Azura betrays the party, she will go after Kana. This will open up a special paralogue, if not completed before a certain chapter, disappears and has consequences. (Kana will fall under Azura’s influence and become an enemy unit. Kana will not be able to be recruited after this point.)

Shigure

- Shigure is stuck in Valla and has to handle his own.

- When Corrin goes to Valla during Conquest, Shigure meets him, but Azura commands Corrin to strike Shigure down. Corrin, being manipulated by Azura’s song, kills him in Conquest, preventing the truth from being known.

- However, in Revelations, Shigure meets Corrin alongside the rest of Corrin’s army. Azura is powerless in this situation and she is exposed by Shigure, and she is replaced by Shigure as a playable character.

True!Garon

- During Conquest, True!Garon’s paralogue opens at Chapter 27 after the main campaign has been completed (You must complete Conquest before True!Garon’s paralogue opens). In addition, Selena, Laslow, and Odin must be alive to attempt this chapter, if they are all dead, the chapter is inaccessible.

-- The Awakening Trio (or the survivors) are found in Valla as they discuss how to handle their mission. They find Garon stuck in his cell and in despair. The trio defend Garon and escape with him, and upon reaching the surface, the Nohr Royals are in disbelief seeing Garon again after he was defeated in Chapter 26. However, they quickly learn that this Garon is the real one, and there’s a happy reunion as Garon finds himself again and promptly kicks ***.

- During Revelations, the paralogue opens up after the main campaign is completed at Chapter 27. The player can choose their units for the paralogue, and it plays differently than the one with the trio. However, it has the same effect of True!Garon finding himself, reuniting with his kids, and then kicking *** as any endgame character does.

Chapter Dev Notes

Conquest

- The Hoshidian Invasion arc has been rewritten. After the massacre at Fort Jinya, Corrin becomes disillusioned with Azura’s plan and makes his own path to rebel against Garon (and try to gain Hoshidian support). He tries to convince Takumi, but as he is possessed, he does not care. Corrin does manage to successfully convince Hinoka, and Chapter 25 is when Corrin rebels instead of fighting Ryoma. During this time, if Scarlet is still alive, will she come and join up with the party.

- Chapter 25 has Corrin fight Hans and Iago. Chapter 26 is when Corrin fights King!Garon.

- The battle is thought won, so the party goes to the Throne Room during Chapter 27 where they see Slime!Garon sitting on the throne. Filled with anger, Ryoma charges at Slime!Garon only to be effortlessly dispatched alongside his retainers. Ryoma dies due to this blow.

- The Endgame with Takumi remains mostly the same, but Takumi’s anger is amplified on seeing the corpse of Ryoma.

Revelations

- One of the Revelations chapters have Corrin face off with Ryoma, like in Conquest Chapter 25, due to that chapter being rewritten.

- Chapter 27 is when the player faces off against Azura. During this chapter, the game will read if you have any cleared Birthright and Conquest saves. Using data from the latest clear file from both paths, that Avatar will appear as an opponent in this chapter with the same stats, skills, and items in their inventory.

-- Of course, should the player try to cheat the system (having no skills or items, and low stats), the game will compensate by giving the player the appropriate equipment. (Endgame Yato, Dragonstone +, all default skills, scaled stats, etc.)

-- If there is no cleared data, a “default” Avatar will be used with the appropriate equipment.

-- When fighting Azura, “End of All – Below” plays. The entire party is debuffed due to her song, and Azura breaks the limits of her Songstress stat caps.

- As for Endgame, the party fights against Anakos properly. The music that is played is Shigure’s variant of “End of All”, as he now has the pendant and can properly weaken Anakos.

Here it is. Took too long to write up.

For all intents and purposes, it is an alternate universe retelling based heavily around a change of personality and genetic inheritance in the Avatar character. Elements from each route is present, however, the overall story and structure is different from of canon. The story (or rather, drabbles that will likely not see the light of day) focuses on the Avatar character, the psychological effects of his captivity and how he affects the cast of characters and the story as a whole.

· Are problematic elements (the curse, the magic throne, the crystal ball, operation tears, Nohr and Hoshido being too black and white, everything Aqua does) going to be addressed? All of the above have been changed. Except perhaps the crystal ball, which would have a completely different function than in canon—if I don’t decide to scrap it completely.

· Are there any themes to be communicated over each route? None, in particular.

· What is the overall direction or “point” of each route? There are no particular directions, other than writing a main character with a different mindset than the canon!Corrinmui. I suppose you could consider the story/drabbles a psychological thriller-type with inspirations from various real-life historic subjects and lots of headcanon. World-building is included.

· What is Kamui all about (background, personality, abilities)?

For the set of drabbles, Corrinmui is known by two names: his true name is Kagutsuchi and his Nohrian name is Canicus, as I find it completely idiotic that Garon kidnapped the boy but did not bother to change his name to something more fitting to his culture. He is still the child of Mikoto and Anankos, however, he does not retain the ability to turn into a dragon. Instead, he inherits the ability for necromancy, which is a play on Phoenix Mode available in-game. All living beings killed by Kagutsuchi only can be revived from the dead and under his complete control. Beings revived by Kagutsuchi are essentially undead—they lack sentience, memories or personality from their time as human—and, unless cremated, they retain all injuries sustained from their death. Like canon, he is kidnapped at a young age and taken by Garon and actually raised as his own child, meaning his views are biased by what Garon has fed to him and tarnished by the fact that he is a hostage that was abandoned by his own kingdom. He is a deliberate being with an intelligence earned from years of reading, observing and studying—as well as his draconic heritage amplifying that. Throughout the story, Kagutsuchi’s mental state will gradually degrade due to a combination of the death of loved ones, personality disorders, a Messiah/God-complex, all of which can be somewhat attributed to the degeneration found in his paternal side of the family.

· What is Azura all about (personality, role in the story)?

Aqua is similar to how she is canonically but there may or may not be something else about her… I haven’t completely decided her role in the story.

· What are the Hoshidan and Nohrian siblings all about (personalities, roles in plot)?

The siblings will resemble how they are canonically but not completely.

Garon is not Slime!Daddy but he is a strict, unscrupulous ruler of Nohr that is not above chopping off a few heads or stringing up a few bodies to make a point. Sumeragi is not dead—he is just as strict as his counterpart and, while his way are not as gruesome as Garon’s, he is still seen as the opposite extreme. Think of them as the Law and Chaos factions from the SMT series. Mikoto is alive and her portrayal is influenced by the loss of her home, her only child and her husband’s overzealous ways. Lilith is present but not for long.

· What is the Hydra all about (role in plot)?

His presence is not as blatant as canon but he can be felt in various ways, mainly through his child.

· What changes will be made to minor characters?

A lot. Some will most likely be cut due to a combination of not fitting into the story or my own oversights.

· What ideas do you have for world building? A lot.

· What kind of history does this continent have? Something similar to the Warring States Era, in which there were many tribes and families fighting for their own stake of land/ruling. Garon and Sumeragi are the two Big Bosses that have many territories under their belts through conquest, diplomacy and inheritance. Living in one kingdom has its pro and cons over the other—neither is the perfect place on the Earth.

· What is the balance of natural and supernatural elements? All that is normal for a Fire Emblem game.

· Are the Faceless and invisible enemies in your story? Faceless will be scaled down and not as prominent. Invisible enemies are more or less absent.

Many, many people will die. No one is protected by plot armor.

6. Will you introduce any new characters?

Probably just some Randies here and there. It depends on the context and if they are needed.

Felicia, most definitely. Flora does not have a sister. Likely most of the children, if I don't implement them in a different manner.

So I'm writing a Fates fanfic, but it's actually set before the game starts. It's my attempt at covering Mikoto's backstory, organizing a timeline, doing worldbuilding, and introducing gray morality. It doesn't really fit the questionnaire, but I filled it out to the best of my ability.

None, the fic is set pre-game, detailing how Mikoto went from Vallite princess to queen of Hoshido. It's a short story, set shortly before Corrin's birth to shortly after his kidnapping, with a potential epilogue taking place during his return to Hoshido in Chapters 4/5.

See above.

Lots of alternate character interpretation to Mikoto; instead of being a morally pure saint, she's now a politically-savvy royal who, while ultimately good-intentioned, does some morally questionable things. Some unseen characters, like Queen Ikona, will be given personalities, and some like Sumeragi and Arete will have their characterizations expanded on.

Lots of world-building, notably expanding on the history of Valla and draconic lore; expanding on the history of Hoshido and Nohr; some expansion on minor settings like the Fire Tribe and Izumo; and adding in moral greyness.

Yes, but everyone who is alive when the original game starts will survive the fic.

Yes, several original characters.

No.

It's posted on both fanfiction.net and AO3 for those interested; you can find it here and here. It's still in-progress, but I update every Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if I should do this, but I'd like to post first-drafts of what I write here to get feedback. I just finished chapter 1 of the reboot and I'd like to get it checked for anything idiotic. It's pretty short, but every chapter I posted towards the story before this was 4000+ pages long, so that'll probably change. If they wind up being super long, I'll post them in bits and pieces. Lastly, I want you guys to hold nothing back. If there's something you don't like or think is dumb, let me know. If anyone is OOC, verbally slap me upside the head, if something I write sounds weird, call me out and so on. If this isn't something you guys want me doing, I'll stop. Anyway, here's what I've got.

[spoiler=Notes]

-Royal pairings are; Corrin/Azura (obviously), Xander/Hinoka, Takumi/Oboro and Ryoma/Scarlet. Camilla and Sakura currently don't care about romance, Leo is crushing on Camilla (because angst) and Elise is crushing on Arthur.

-I kinda wanna age-swap the Hoshidan siblings i.e. Sakura is the oldest, Ryoma is the youngest. If you're worried about age, there's a 9 1/2 year difference between each half of the story so it's not that big of a deal in my mind. And yes, I have seen the age swap art. It's like 40% of the reason why I want to do it.

-I've done what I can to fix the grammar in my writing (Grammarly is a god-send). However, I don't care as much about character dialogue in that regard since people don't speak with perfect grammar.

-Valla is based around the Orokin Void in terms of aesthetics [spoiler=For Reference]

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=y0QkPEdgex8

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/c/c0/Orokin_Void_Extraction_Hall.png/revision/latest?cb=20130525161854

http://www.gomultiplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/OrokinEnvironment02.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/7/79/Warframe_orokin_void_by_jowain92-d6ln8f1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141007070925&path-prefix=es

-In the most basic terms, Valla is a sci-fi/fantasy civlisation that kept every other nation in medieval stasis. I'll give more details latter.

-The Omega Legion is the name for every full-time Nohrian soldier, as most of Nohr's military might are reserves. I'm not 100% sold on the name, but I can't think of anything better.

-Awakening Trio come from Future!Past and keep their original names and hair colours. Inigo's father is Chrom, Owain's dad is default!Robin and Severa's dad is Stahl.

-The framing device is that Owain writes stories based on the adventures he has (he also does original works). He was writing stories about the events of Fates and the first one he wrote was about Kamui. The world he lived in influenced the way he writes, so his writing style tends to be rather black-and-white in-terms of morality. He and Niles prank each other constantly and one of Niles return pranks after Owain got him good was publishing all his written works. The problem with that is that Owain's retelling of Fates, being written in his black-and-white style, is that the account of events is rather bias; portraying Nohr as the villain of the conflict and Nohrian nobility is puppy-kicking arseholes while portraying Hoshido as the heroes of the story and downplaying their faults. It also, unfortunately, became the most widely-believed account of the events of the story so now Hoshido uses this as a justification for the stereotype of Nohrians and now the Nohrian civilian population believe the vast majority of higher-ranking officials to be corrupt and/or evil. Azura, Leo and Takumi have organised for an amended version to be made that clears up all the errors and accidental biases Owain injected into the story.

-On that note, Owain never intended for any of it to be published, Nohr nor did he intend for it to be a documentary. He writes for himself and for close friends, so that's why he didn't particularly care for historical accuracy or unbiased perspective. It was meant to be a fantasy 'based on a true story' novel fueled by rule of cool.

[spoiler=First Draft]

It was a quiet, early morning when Xander stepped through the portal within Castle Krakenburg and emerged in Valla's Nohrian Embassy. The buildings dark-grey granite walls and black marble floors making it an almost perfect copy of Castle Krakenburg's interior, down to the rather morbid artwork and glowing red lighting. Even the temperature was quite close to that of his homeland, albeit as a result of artificial cooling rather than a perpetual lack of sunlight. Regardless, Xander found himself just as grateful for the large fur cape he wore now that he was king.

Looking around the room, the blonde was slightly disappointed to find that his wife wasn't waiting for him in the room, but that was understandable. After all, the building was magically cooled for the comfort of Nohrian visitors and having grown up in Hoshido, his beloved Hinoka had found adapting to the weather and temperature of her new home to be just as difficult as learning the ins-and-outs of an entirely different culture. Even with the warmest clothing available, Hinoka still shivered outdoors and clung to him in bed even after it had been heated with a bed warmer. Not that it was a bad thing. The Nohrian King enjoyed the impromptu cuddles and the couple had found more than a few…enjoyable ways to stay warm in bed.

"Milord, are you ready to depart?"

Xander turned to face the voice and had his good mood soured a little when he came saw that two of his new retainers had just stepped through the portal. All four of them had finished basic training at the top of their classes and had earned considerable renown and prestige within the Omega Legion before slowly working up the ranks of vassalage to become Royal Guard. They were highly skilled, dedicated, professional organised, efficient and respectful, never overstepping so much as a single boundary. They were the pinnacle of what it meant to be a Nohrian soldier and an example of what every retainer should aspire to be.

And yet his relationship with them was so lifeless and dull that the blonde often found himself constantly wishing for the company of Inigo and Peri. The food they brought him lacked the 'spark' that Peri's possessed, the conversations were terse and cold as opposed to the friendlier and more open talks he had with Inigo. While their duty as his retainers had at times made him doubt that his relationship could ever be considered true friendship, it was certainly the closest he'd ever come to it and with each passing day, Xander missed Inigo's friendly nature and Peri's infectious enthusiasm more and more. Hell, he'd take scolding Inigo for attempting to flirt with a married marchioness or dealing with one of Peri's murderous moods than the constant professionalism of these new retainers.

"Milord? Is everything alright?"

"I'm fine Roland." Xander said, attempting to assuage the Paladin's worries. "Let's go."

As expected, Hinoka had chosen to wait outside the Embassy rather than within it, and was quite happy to greet her husband once he was no longer within the building. It was a simple greeting consisting of a chaste kiss and a quick hug, neither of them being the type to make grandiose expressions of affection, let alone public ones. The two royals parted just as swiftly as they had come together and Xander found himself increasingly aware of his retainers presence despite them not making any noise and having given the royals plenty of privacy. Xander turned to his retainers and informed them that their presence was no longer required; giving them orders to find their quarters and settle in.

"Are you sure Milord? What if-"

"There is no danger here Richard, so you might as well relax. Once you've settled in, you and Roland might like to try the hot springs. I'm told they're quite lovely."

"If that is you command, then consider it done!"

The two soldiers saluted in unison before turning and walking down the main hallway, presumably searching for a member of the capital's staff who could help them find where they would be staying for the next few nights. Xander would've helped them himself, but having not seen his wife in almost a week left him with different priorities.

"Still don't like having them around?" Hinoka asked, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Yes, but it's only been a little more than two months since they've been assigned to me. I'll get used to them eventually."

"You say that, but you still always seem to have a reason to be away from them."

"I was like this after Inigo and Peri took the place of my first retainers and I remember not thinking much of them beyond 'lecherous fool' and 'obnoxiously childish' at first. I'll be fine dear; it just takes me a while to get used to change is all."

"I'm sure you will, and it's not like I can complain about you being stubborn considering my track record. Besides, we can always swap retainers if you want!"

"No thanks. I'm not that desperate." Xander stated, a ghost of a smile breaking his normally stony expression. Hinoka feigned disappointment at his rejection of her solution, but quickly dropped the pretence and let out a quiet chuckle. As much as they frustrated her at times, Setsuna and Azama had been her companions since before she had completed her apprenticeship for the Sky Knights and she considered them to be indispensable and amongst her greatest companions. Well, most of the time anyway. The number of times the Nohrian Queen had talked her husband's ear of with complaints about Setsuna's laziness or Azama making yet another child cry with his talk about the pointlessness of life, it was no wonder that he had shot down the offer so quickly, even if he wasn't completely serious.

"C'mon, we'd better settle in." Hinoka said, gesturing to the main hallway.

"I assume we'll be staying in the same room as last time?"

"Well yeah. It is permanently reserved for us."

The sabatons of Xander's armour and the steel soles of Hinoka's riding boots clacked loudly against the floor of the hallway. Perhaps it was just a lack of familiarity with the building, but something about the building had always seemed…off to Xander. From the walls and floors made of a pristine, almost blinding white material highlighted with equally shining gold, to the many awe-inspiring decorations like artificial waterfalls and decorative trees and bushes that appeared to have be made out of clear crystal quartz, all of which displayed a mastery of engineering, art and magic that blew even the most advanced Nohrian equivalents out of the water. There was just something about the place that made the king feel uneasy. The closest Xander had ever come to being able to voice his discomfort was that the place was 'too clean and perfect', almost to an unnatural degree and even that didn't fully explain it.

Not helping matters was the lack of sound or population. While the two's quiet small-talk and footsteps prevented kept the area from being totally silent and that they would occasionally pass by a servant or two performing various duties, but both of those did little to alleviate the eerie silence and emptiness of the capital. It didn't even fit into the category of culture shock that his time in Hoshido had induced; everything about the capital was just so alien, from the intensity of the colours to the strangeness of the architecture and decorations to the point of being uncanny.

It was almost a relief when they entered their room in the guest quarters which, while still as unnaturally clean as the rest of the capital at least didn't possess the same bright and shining colour pallet. No, their room bore the much more familiar black, purple and brass colours of Nohr. Dark grey floors and walls highlighted nicely by purple curtains and bed-sheets and each decoration trimmed with brass. However, the design of the room was quite clearly inspired my Hoshido with the exception of the king-sized bed; bamboo drawers by either side of the bed, a rice-paper shoji screen with a red cherry blossom tree by the corner closest to the bathroom and a writing desk that required one to sit on the ground or a pillow rather than a chair, something the king had always found perplexing. The room was otherwise decorated rather spartanly and the end result was comfortable and familiar for both the king and queen, as well as being surprisingly tasteful considering that most attempts to combine Nohrian and Hoshidan design had come out looking incredibly tacky at best and downright hideous at worst.

"Now this is more like it!." Hinoka trumpeted with delight before flopping onto the bed, the wooden frame creaking under the weight of her armour.

"Is the room to your liking dear?" Xander chuckled as he began removing bits and pieces of his own armour.

"Definitely. The decorations and architecture are much better here, not like those ugly…things back in Nohr."

"I believe 'sturdy' is the word you were looking for. I don't recall ever breaking a Nohrian-made door just by opening it."

"Hey, just because you're clumsy doesn't make them any less sturdy. You can't yank a door open and expect it to be fine afterward."

It was an old habit of theirs to have playful debates about whether Nohr or Hoshido was better in a giving area. The arguments hadn't been so jovial at first, having started as much more heated confrontations times during the Third War and gradually becoming less intense over the course of their courtship; from calm intellectual debates to casual discussion and finally, to more of a running joke between the two than anything else.

"Not to mention that-" Hinoka began as she started emptying out the contents of her travel back into the bedside drawers before pausing, eyes narrowed in confusion as she pulled out two books with identical covers. Oh, right. Here, I ran into your brother while I was training and he asked me to give you this."

The redheaded woman passed one of the books to Xander and the king gingerly took it from her hands before scowling as he recognised the title. Xander knew perfectly well what this book was about; having had to deal with the fallout of its contents for a little more than a year had left him very well acquainted with its content. The blonde momentarily wondered what would possess Leo to give him a copy of the book before he noticed the additions that had been made to the front cover.

"Heroes of Fate, Volume I: The Tale of Corrin/Kamui (Amended Edition). What's this about?"

"Well since the original one was so…'controversial', Azura wanted publish a new version that would clear the air."

"I see. And is when is it going to be released to the public?"

"Oh, it's not done yet. Look." Hinoka took the book from Xander's hand and flipped to the pages near the end, all of which were blank. "Only Azura, Leo and Takumi have contributed thus far. You, me and the others are supposed to read it and then write our memory of the events in the back, then it'll all get made into one book."

"I'll make sure to get around to that."

"Good. Anyway, I've gotta go spar with Ryoma now. You coming?"

"No thanks, I'd like to rest before the meeting."

"Okay. Rest well and I'll see you when the meeting starts."

The Hoshidan royal quickly kissed the king's cheek before darting out the door, eager to get to the training rooms. Xander meanwhile, removed the final piece of armour from his body and laid it next to the rest of the set before lying down, sighing contently as he relaxed every muscle in his body. It was only then that the prince realised that he'd forgotten the obsidian crown. Xander sat up with a grown before removing the jewellery from his head and placing it on his bedside drawer, his hand coming into contact with his copy of the book.

"Hmm…"

Xander took the book from the top of the drawer and stared at the cover for a moment before absent-mindedly flicking through some of the pages, his mind only barely registering the information on the pages and noting that it seemed like everything was as it was in the original, although the addition of footnotes had lengthened the book considerably. Looking over to the quill-and-ink on the writing desk and briefly wondered whether he should start contributing immediately or lie down and rest. In the end, however, the instincts developed over a life of being groomed to become king won out and the blonde stood up and started heading toward the desk.

"Might as well get started."

Edited by Phillius

Azama's making yet another child cry with his talk about the pointlessness of life

bDnPcxV.gif

Seems like a good first draft to me. The only typo that caught my eye was

"... The blonde was disappointing" should be disappointed, but that's just one small misstep.

As for the "ooc thing" don't worry - so far it's fine.

As for my end, I've been stuck in finals and school, but that's almost over. I'll have the freedom to write more. I did another overhaul on my idea... kind of.

Basically it's a combo of all three routes. My Corrin, Fubuki, is essentially the same, but like the Awakening MC trio, she shares the spot with two others: Leo and Takumi.

Takumi: Birthright based

Leo: Conquest based

Fubuki: Revelations based

Fubuki, after the split, jumps down the Bottomless Canyon. Flora and Jakob follow like in the story.

After the princess's disappearance, it only escalates the war. Nohr advances, and Takumi's side deals with Hoshido on the defense while looking for any remains of Fubuki (who has the Yato with her.)

Leo meanwhile, tired of the fighting and worn down due to the disappearance of his wife (Flora), decides to essentially rebel and revolutionize Nohr from the inside. Elise goes with him on this, unable to force herself to fight the Hoshidans.

As far as things go, I don't have much differences and I've edited some pairings/families and such, so here's what I have of profiles so far.

Fubuki: Second daughter of Arete and Mercury, younger sister to Azura. Only survivor of her family's murder. Cousins with Takumi and Sakura.

Flora: Wife of Leo. A retainer to Fubuki. Married to Leo due to a gambit by Garon in order to secure the alliance of the Ice Tribe, she's forced to work with the Nohrian army. Despite this, she holds no grudge to the siblings, but loathes Garon and would be willing to leave him at the drop of a hat. Feels like Leo deserves better than someone like her.

Leo: Despite his cold exterior, he genuinely loves Flora. He comes off as distant with her, but this is due to him being somewhat unsure of how to show how he loves her. He basically blames Fubuki for Flora's disappearance after their jump into the canyon. The more the war dragged on, the more wary he became, and eventually decided that this probably wasn't going to fix Nohr in the long run. Therefore, he decides to start a revolution.

Takumi: Youngest Hoshidan prince. Continues to have his insecurities, but is more outwardly bitter to his older Hoshidan siblings for some neglect when he was younger. Very close with Sakura and his mother and spends a lot of time practicing archery with her. Has the strongest connection with the Dragon Blood, manifesting in red eyes and more manakete like ears. Can't shapeshift, but he has more abilites when it comes to changing the landscape using the Dragon Vein.

Camilla: About the same, but extends her love of Corrin to love of her siblings and her family. Ends up split in her loyalty when Leo and Elise desert. Her mother was the one who murdered Arete and her family, and thus feels the need to "make it up" to Fubuki.

As far as pairings go, Takumi x Camilla is one, Leo x Flora is another, and Ryoma x Scarlet is the last one that I have 100%. I'm tossing around the idea of still keeping Oboro x Fubuki or Laslow x Fubuki. Hmm...

bDnPcxV.gif

Seems like a good first draft to me. The only typo that caught my eye was

"... The blonde was disappointing" should be disappointed, but that's just one small misstep.

As for the "ooc thing" don't worry - so far it's fine.

As for my end, I've been stuck in finals and school, but that's almost over. I'll have the freedom to write more. I did another overhaul on my idea... kind of.

Basically it's a combo of all three routes. My Corrin, Fubuki, is essentially the same, but like the Awakening MC trio, she shares the spot with two others: Leo and Takumi.

Takumi: Birthright based

Leo: Conquest based

Fubuki: Revelations based

Fubuki, after the split, jumps down the Bottomless Canyon. Flora and Jakob follow like in the story.

After the princess's disappearance, it only escalates the war. Nohr advances, and Takumi's side deals with Hoshido on the defense while looking for any remains of Fubuki (who has the Yato with her.)

Leo meanwhile, tired of the fighting and worn down due to the disappearance of his wife (Flora), decides to essentially rebel and revolutionize Nohr from the inside. Elise goes with him on this, unable to force herself to fight the Hoshidans.

As far as things go, I don't have much differences and I've edited some pairings/families and such, so here's what I have of profiles so far.

Fubuki: Second daughter of Arete and Mercury, younger sister to Azura. Only survivor of her family's murder. Cousins with Takumi and Sakura.

Flora: Wife of Leo. A retainer to Fubuki. Married to Leo due to a gambit by Garon in order to secure the alliance of the Ice Tribe, she's forced to work with the Nohrian army. Despite this, she holds no grudge to the siblings, but loathes Garon and would be willing to leave him at the drop of a hat. Feels like Leo deserves better than someone like her.

Leo: Despite his cold exterior, he genuinely loves Flora. He comes off as distant with her, but this is due to him being somewhat unsure of how to show how he loves her. He basically blames Fubuki for Flora's disappearance after their jump into the canyon. The more the war dragged on, the more wary he became, and eventually decided that this probably wasn't going to fix Nohr in the long run. Therefore, he decides to start a revolution.

Takumi: Youngest Hoshidan prince. Continues to have his insecurities, but is more outwardly bitter to his older Hoshidan siblings for some neglect when he was younger. Very close with Sakura and his mother and spends a lot of time practicing archery with her. Has the strongest connection with the Dragon Blood, manifesting in red eyes and more manakete like ears. Can't shapeshift, but he has more abilites when it comes to changing the landscape using the Dragon Vein.

Camilla: About the same, but extends her love of Corrin to love of her siblings and her family. Ends up split in her loyalty when Leo and Elise desert. Her mother was the one who murdered Arete and her family, and thus feels the need to "make it up" to Fubuki.

As far as pairings go, Takumi x Camilla is one, Leo x Flora is another, and Ryoma x Scarlet is the last one that I have 100%. I'm tossing around the idea of still keeping Oboro x Fubuki or Laslow x Fubuki. Hmm...

Both errors fixed. Grammerly, why do you betray me so ;^;

As for your story overhaul:

-You killed Azura, -/10 /s

-The only thing I'm wondering is what Xander, Ryoma and Hinoka are doing since you didn't mention them. Are they being adapted out, or have you not decided what to do with them yet?

Both errors fixed. Grammerly, why do you betray me so ;^;

As for your story overhaul:

-You killed Azura, -/10 /s

-The only thing I'm wondering is what Xander, Ryoma and Hinoka are doing since you didn't mention them. Are they being adapted out, or have you not decided what to do with them yet?

Being bland as Hell.

Azura is with her in spirit, and also pendant. And Shigure.

Xander is basically around the same spot he is. This time he has a bit more an acceptable reason since Garon isn't a slimey bastard and his affection to his kids is more clear.

Ryoma and Hinoka are also basically in the same spot. Ryoma is a bit more stressed out, but aware of Nohr's issues with their supplies. He's actually awfully open to helping the rebels for both moral and pragmatic reasons. Hinoka... complicated.

I've added Dangerus, Sire, SaiSymbolic and Abvora to the OP. If authors with existing entries (Ebony, Phillius) would like new content added to their entry, you can tell me here or in a PM.

I'll comment on other people's material when I have more time.

Also, I had a C-S Kamui x Camilla support in the works but my computer ate it so I'll rewrite that later.

Also, I had a C-S Kamui x Camilla support in the works but my computer ate it so I'll rewrite that later.

I can't wait to see what you've changed.

They still take a bath right? Don't kinkblock me plz.

Of course they won't. Obviously they're gonna dress like their fursonas. Look at his profile pic, the signs are all there.

Edited by Phillius

The kink is reserved for the SS support. It includes the tags #hornplay and #mapstrapplay

Of course they won't. Obviously they're gonna dress like their fursonas. Look at his profile pic, the signs are all there.

S-shut up Phillius, that's not what I- ...Just shut up Phillius!

*sighs deeply and rewrites entire support AGAIN*

The kink is reserved for the SS support. It includes the tags #hornplay and #mapstrapplay

S-shut up Phillius, that's not what I- ...Just shut up Phillius!

*sighs deeply and rewrites entire support AGAIN*

If you think this is bad, you should see what I do to PMUs...

So, would this be a bad thread to suggest people giving re/writing some supports a go? I was thinking that, unlike entire stories, supports are bite-sized conversations, which would be faster and easier to write, and it would be very fun to see what people would come up with.

So, would this be a bad thread to suggest people giving re/writing some supports a go? I was thinking that, unlike entire stories, supports are bite-sized conversations, which would be faster and easier to write, and it would be very fun to see what people would come up with.

There are already some on this post.

Updated my entry, now with detailed info on the main characters.

OP updated.

The entire reason I signed up to Serenes in the First place was to have a spot to post my currently planned Fanfic.

Originally I was just gonna wing it and post my own topic, so I'm super happy you guys made this place, and that I found it yesterday.

Here's my propostal

FE Fates Fan Fiction Survey

This story will be an effective amalgamation of all three. It is a semi unique story in that it will follow one of the two initial routes, but branch off into its own story later on down the road.

Conquest or Birthright:

Spoilers, I’m not telling :D.

This Fanfic’s focus is going to be to delve much deeper into the social and cultural aspects of each side, as well as include a much more dynamic view on the war with significantly increased back and forth. It will be told from a 3rd person perspective with a heavy focus on the Avatar’s interactions with their family members and the two nations.

· Are problematic elements (the curse, the magic throne, the crystal ball, operation tears, Nohr and Hoshido being too black and white, everything Aqua does) going to be addressed?

-The curse is reworked, but present. It’s elements and mechanics are changed to reflect the nature of Anankos and his power.

-The Throne is not magical in this story. It introduced too many plot holes in the narrative and was used for cheap emotional plot contrivances, and as such I’ve cut it.

-The crystal ball will not make an appearance in the current plans I’ve written. This is subject to change should it be necessary.

-'Operation Tears' was a ridiculous concept on it's face. However, I still fully intend to have Garon and Iago do plentiful scheming in regards to Kamui. As stated below in this proposal, I'm making Nohr's byword a concept of strength over all. Their scheming is going to be closely related to this.

-Nohr and Hoshido are both given significant shades of grey in this story. Nohr with a lot more of its focus on strength and perception of that strength, not mere wanton cruelty (Think ‘The Strong Live and the Weak Die’, mentality). Hoshido meanwhile will have its racism towards Nohr and its emphasis on Honor and duty (as well as a bit of sexism thrown in there for good measure) come to center stage.

-Azura (I’m using mostly Western Names) has had her reasons for secrecy re-worked, with a bit more angst and A LOT less ‘I just don’t feel like it’, thrown in there as to why she does what she does.

· Are there any themes to be communicated over each route?

Only one route is going to be present. The critical theme is going to be one of redemption, and setting aside old hatreds.

· What is Kamui all about (background, personality, abilities)?

Kamui (one of two exceptions to the previous aforementioned Western Names), is going to be much like she is in the Vanilla story. She is a princess of Hoshido abducted by Nohr and ignorant of her heritage. However, two key differences are to be made. She is not anywhere near as physically adept as presented in the game proper (although she will still fight), and there are no memory shenanigans being played, she was simply too young to recall her abduction at the time.

· What is Aqua all about (personality, role in the plot)?

Aqua is aloof as she normally is. Her role in the plot is relatively minor to begin with, but expands when Anankos rears his head. I won’t talk more about this, as it’s a critical spoiler.

One critical change however, is that it is not common knowledge that Azura was abducted. It is generally believed by most Nohrian’s who still remember her, that she is dead as a result of court intrigue.

· What are the Hoshidan and Nohrian siblings all about (personalities, roles in the plot)?

They are mostly the same, with notable exceptions:

-Ryouma is not as thoughtless and careless as he is in the Vanilla campaign (Running off to Cheve on a whim? Really? You’re the crown prince…), and he is involved in a lot more of the key politics, especially when the war begins in earnest

-Xander is much more reasonable than he is presented normally. He is still all about honor, and will adhere somewhat to the ‘Camus’ archetype unto which he is based, but he is not blind to his Father’s changes, and will not simply go along with everything without question.

-Camilla: No Changes

-Hinoka: No significant changes, but Her anti-Nohrian sentiments will be more initially pronounced.

-Leo: Leo is getting a bit of an age raise in this story to match his excessive competence (more on ages later). Beyond that, no real changes.

-Takumi: Takumi is mostly unchanged, but his concept of honor and familial loyalty will be enhanced.

-Elise: Elise is getting a major age reduction (more evidence on this later). Beyond that, no changes.

-Sakura: No changes.

Garon: Gooron is still a thing, but the reasons and explanations are more thorough (hidden for spoiler reasons). Gooron also is much more cunning, and less hamtastically evil (but still very evil).

Mikoto: Mikoto is expanded on characterization wise, but the same vibe (motherly, gentle, wise) is kept from her brief appearance.

Lilith: Lilith has been cut. Given her purpose as mostly being related to Outrealm, and little relevance beyond that, I cannot justify her existence, and therefore am removing her.

· What is Hydra all about (role in the plot)?

I will be using the name Anankos. He’s very very spoiler ridden (many changes to demeanour, nature, powers, etc.) so I won’t speak of them here.

· What changes will be made to minor characters

Varied. More time is spent expositing on characters whom I can make use of, and less on the ones I cannot easily salvage without too much of a time commitment.

· What ideas do you have for world building?

I will be expanding on this in multiple areas, but it will not be my critical focus. One example is the fact that Nestra is, in this story, a tributary state of Nohr thereby justifying Garon’s attachment to it. Cheve is also an official Vassal State, not an actual part of Nohr (or whatever it was supposed to be).

· What kind of history does this continent have?

Nohr and Hoshido have been the two superpowers of the world for quite some time. Nohr often relies on tribute from its vassals (Such as Nestra and Cheve) to keep its people fed and its armies supplied.

About 15 year’s prior, Nohr and Hoshido went to war over Nestra. Nestra wished to secede from Nohr, and Hoshido came to their defense. Ultimately, an accord was established, with Nestra no longer officially being part of Nohr, but instead a Vassal/tributary, having its own autonomy, but still owing fealty.

2 years later, there was more conflict in Cheve, also wishing to secede, but they wished for full independence. This led to the ‘Cheve Disaster’, in which Sumeragi was assassinated, and Kamui abducted.

Many more elements are planned to be introduced, such as an increased role for Izana and Izumo.

· What is the balance of natural and supernaturual elements?

No real changes of note from the Vanilla story.

· Are the Faceless and invisible enemies in your story?

Faceless are briefly present, and not in roles of significance.

Invisible soldiers however have a vastly more important role. I won’t spoil why.

Some characters are planned to die. I will withhold the details of who so as to not affect the emotional impact I plan to occur.

There are several holes in my plans that will need minor characters to fill in holes. Provided I get any traction on this particular fic, I will actually ask for others to submit their OC’s to the story (more details on this when relevant), for my use.

The only character to my knowledge who is being cut entirely is Lilith, and this is due to my decision to cut out outrealms from the narrative in its entirety.

However, many retainers are not likely to be center stage, though none are intended to directly be removed.

As a result, there is the natural ‘cutting’ of every child character as a result (baring any epilogue details) given there isn’t a significant enough time skip to allow them to be born/raised.

Added Questions/Statements:

So who are you shipping in this ‘fic?

I actually don’t intend to focus on the romance aspect between characters much, if at all. Perhaps some tid-bits here and there, but it won’t be my main focus. I believe an overemphasis on such a subject would only serve to harm this story as a whole, and as such, I’m going to sideline it or even outright ignore it depending on popular opinion.

So, speaking of ages…

Yes, I’ve been meaning to address that. While I understand IS’s decision to raise everyone’s age to ‘adult’ given the nature of the S support results, this is not a shipping 'fic, and as such, there will be little if any discussion of such concepts in this story. As such, I feel comfortable reducing the age’s down to where I believe they should be given the character’s contexts and personalities. The ages are classified as follows:

Kamui: ~17-18: Young, unburdened by knowledge, and inexperienced in the ways of the world, for the story to work as I have written it, Kamui must be around this age, as I’m setting about a 13-year gap in between the kidnapping and the events of the story proper. Not to mention the idealistic and kind hearted nature, while certainly not impossible to see in an adult, is far more befitting a younger person.

Xander/Ryouma: ~27: I’m erring on the side of Ryouma and Xander being significantly older both given the responsibilities they shoulder and how they react to them, as well as several events in supports that have them performing or discussing actions which one would not expect a younger person to do.

- Specifically, Xander speaks with great wisdom for even a prince, meaning he’s well-seasoned, and has also seen much of the decadent court of Nohr which is all but eradicated at the time of the story proper.

- Ryouma is also mentioned in the Kagero/Avatar support as having been instrumental in Queen Mikoto’s integration into Hoshidan society, something someone who is not already either an adult or nearly so would have had the influence to do.

Camilla: ~23: She, like Xander has seen much of the Nohrian decadent court, and many supports show her to be very mature for her station. She’s obviously younger than Xander, but for reasons I’m not disclosing right now, I’m making a wider age gap here than expected.

Hinoka: ~20: I’m not putting Hinoka on the same age as Camilla for precisely one reason, if her life is so wrapped around Kamui, her age should be set to match the tone and maturity. She has matured significantly in the years of Kamui’s absence, but this age puts her at the sweet spot of about 7 when Kamui is taken, which makes the endless crying and turn around into determination that define her character fit rather nicely.

Special Note: After I wrote this, I found in the Camilla/Hinoka support tree that Hinoka literally says she started training at 7. As in, verbatim. So yeah, I feel justified now with this choice.

Takumi: ~18: I’m having Kamui and Takumi be virtually the same age, as they don’t seem to share an obvious big sibling/little sibling relationship, but more of one defined around equals. That, along with his clear ‘rage issues’ that crop up near the beginning, make me believe that his self-esteem and anger issues are not brought on by any outside force, but rather as a natural process of maturing into a man and not believing his talents are being recognized.

Leo: ~21: I’ve marked this one out specifically because it’s a rather big change from the dynamic presented in the story proper. In the core game, Leo is supposed to be the titular ‘Nohrian Younger brother’, however, this bothers me in countless ways. Thus, I will state the evidence I believe points to Leo being justified as being older.

1. In the Leo/Xander supports, they mention cooperative training, and Xander having specifically been concerned that Leo would surpass him. This dynamic is unusual between siblings almost 10 years apart (as Leo and Xander likely are in the core game), but would make a lot more sense if their ages were much closer.

2. In the Leo/Elise supports, he mentions having been familiar with Garon from before the passing of Queen Arete, this suggests he is old enough to remember both her, and Garon’s demeanor. Given the general sweet spot of 5 as being the start of memories, that means he’s a minimum of 18, and probably older given his more detailed description that he gives Elise over the course of the B support specifically.

3. There are several things mentioned in misc. supports that state Leo’s various achievements. A young man of 18 would almost certainly not have such a reputation yet, a man of 21 however, far more likely.

4. The Dyanmic of the Avatar/Leo support directly seems like a conversation a younger sibling (Avatar) would have seeking the wisdom and understanding of an Older sibling (Leo).

Sakura: ~15: Sakura is sweet and gentle, but not entirely naïve. She is obviously younger than the rest of the Hoshidan cast, and this age suits her fine

Elise: ~13: This is a tricky one, as I needed to make it so it meshed time wise with the Azura/Elise depiction in the supports. In this support, it is explicitly stated that Elise is born AFTER Azura is kidnapped, and as such, this makes her very young indeed. Not to mention this age fits her ‘Irritating but adorable Kid Sister’ personality perfectly.

Azura: ~19-20: Also tricky on the grounds of the above, I needed Azura to be old enough for that particular part of the conversation to mesh properly, and more importantly, I need her to be old enough to mentally understand the concept of her mother’s death, given the nature of how she told her everything about Valla and then subsequently succumbed to the curse. As such, this age should effectively mesh these two without much issue.

8. Is this 'fic ever going to actually exist, or are you blowing hot air?

I'm finishing up the last week of college for the semester, and after that I'm going to have plenty of time to work on this pet project.

As it stands, I've been working on this for about 3 to 4 weeks now, and my current storyboard is 16,726 words in length (description of chapters, notes on chapters etc.)

As it's my intention to eventually actually become a game designer, It's my mission to see if I can take what Fates dropped on our plate, and make it into the exquisite meal i know it could have been.

My current hope is to start actually publishing chapters in the next 2 to 3 weeks, or at most in the next month, given I'm not going to have too many obligations over the summer.

Edited by Lynx

In regards to "Operation Tears" in the OP, it refers to Garon and Macbeths/Iago's continued efforts to make Kamui suffer, without reason. This is especially apparent in Conquest where they continue to torment him even though he's committed to Nohr.

There are already some on this post.

Hey hey! That's pretty neato! Maybe I should give it a shot, although I don't know which characters I would write about - maybe the ones with supports so horrible mine will look great in comparison no matter how shoddily I write them.