Why is dual audio such a necessity for people?

solrocknroll

I can't understand the extreme Japanese fixation people have. There are those who'd rather have just Japanese with subs than just an English dub. I can't even see why.

People say the English voices are annoying, but those people must have terribly thin skin. People complain about games like Persona, but why? Persona has some of the best dubs I've ever seen. Why are people so obsessed with the Japanese dub?

I think the only examples that infuriates me are games with British accents. My specific examples are Xenoblade. The only time I ever get insanely mad is when someone disses the dub of Xenoblade and trashes the voice actors. Yeah, no. The terrible Japanese actors are nothing compared to the amazing British voice cast. I'd even go as far as wanting to meet Adam Howden, Carina Reeves, or Jenna Coleman to complement their work. I can't believe anyone would dislike a perfect British dub. British voices are the best in the entire world, and it angers me that anyone could be that intolerant.

rant over

rant over

Trying to develop a little tolerance might do you some good. Considering how you feel about British voices, it's not a stretch to figure that people might feel the same way about other language dubs. Japanese tends to attract a fair few oddballs who insist the English language butchers anything, but you're going to find people who don't share your opinion.

For me, personally, its because the Japanese dub fits the character designs better. My friend made me watch Black Butler with him and he put on the english dub, and the voices just..sucked, and didnt fit at all. I made him put on the Jp dub for the second episode and it just worked so much better-- even made Black Butler slightly tolerable.

However, I think that either way, its an acquired taste. I grew up on Jp dubs, so they're really the only things that work for me. So, if you've grown up on Eng dubs instead, then its understandable that you'd prefer them.

As someone who likes the British dub of the original Xenoblade Chronicles, I find that the OP seems to be suffering from "my-opinion-is-objectively-right-and-everyone-who-disagrees- is-wrong"-itis. Maybe some people just prefer Japanese dubs over the English dubs? You say people who say "English dubs suck" must have thin skin, but you're the one with thin skin for even making a rant like this. You say it makes you mad when people say the English voice cast of Xenoblade suck, but you call the Japanese voice actors "terrible"?

Hypocrisy much?

Edited by Sunwoo

I mean you have to be a little considerate in their preferences in voices.

Although it's a minority people could prefer Japanese if they're learning how to speak Japanese, since the English subs could help them out a bit. It could just be over preference of what they expect a character to sound like or the little things that they do in Japanese that is lost in English.

A good example I would say is between Olivia's Japanese and English confession in Awakening. Her Japanese voice is more higher pitched and the spaces in her dialogue conveys her shyness and how embarrassed she is much better than the English one....in my opinion. Since in her English confession she just talks about how she didn't have the courage in a singular tone. Those little details could separate why people would prefer Japanese dubs over English dubs.

English voices have been somewhat disastrous before but I agree some of them are pretty good. Though people might not share the same opinion. Maybe they think that Yu Narukami's English voice is too deep for him but his Japanese voice is just right. It's at the expense to appeal to everyone. On top of this it might be better for some people to hear the characters say foreign words by a native speaker than an English speaker trying to pronounce it.

With Xenoblade's direction you have more relatively unknown voice actors. Japan decided to take more well known voice actors over risking its sells by trying to fit voices with characters. I didn't like the British accents they went for at first but it grew on me. Now I thoroughly appreciate how much attention to detail they placed into it. But to say the that the Japanese voice actors are terrible is purely opinionated, you may dislike them but they are popular. Typically but not in all cases if they were terrible they wouldn't exactly be popular. I understand how great the British voice acting is. Especially with Melia's voice sounding much more refined, compared to Shulk and Reyn. It's also a breath of fresh air having different voice actors for once than your usual Crispin Freeman or Sean Schemmel. But you shouldn't say people are intolerant due to their preference. You're equally as intolerant for people having a differing preference in their voice options. They leave the option there solely on what you feel is better, if they don't feel the same way as you fine, it doesn't affect you in any certain way.

I would understand your feeling if a large controversy was started over voice acting but this is solely people's opinion and preference.

TO play devil's advocate, some people prefer subs even though they don't speak Japanese. If you can't understand what someone is saying, it's a lot harder to judge their performance.

So it's likely they think dubs are inherently inferior. Of course, unless OP can speak Japanese, it's just as elitist to call the Japanese voices terrible.

There's also the people I know who speak neither Japanese nor English... and I so mean "speak". They can read and communicate fine over the Internet, but have their own preferences. One I happen to know prefers Japanese just because they don't like how English sounds. That's all it is. And you should respect that.

okay maybe terrible is wrong for the Xenoblade cast. I was a little too strong, I'll admit. After all, nothing's terrible about the best game ever ;)

But still, how could you feel the power they have unlike the English cast you can understand? I don't think the voices are bad, but I might have been a little mad at Japanese Shulk in Mario Maker though

yeah that's actually probably it

and also maybe really mad

(also, this topic came about solely from Xenoblade. Mainly X. I've seen tons of people complain about dual audio not being there. Really? Ugh. Caitlin Glass and Cassandra Lee Morris as Elma and Lin are great, and the avatar voices are all cool except for Bryce Papenbrook eww

In fact, I'm actually having trouble deciding a voice for my female avatar. All 6 or 7 are perfect)

Edited by Freyjadour

But still, how could you feel the power they have unlike the English cast you can understand?

Intonation in Japanese is something you can feel as well, thank you very much.

I don't speak for anyone else, considering I actually understand the language. But before then, my opinion was that English dubs didn't have that "feeling".

Granted that has changed as of recently, but there's a reason certain JP voice actors have a cult following.

I'm not saying you should give up your opinion of liking English better, but your OP really showed ranting hostility than anything else.

As everyone has said in this thread before, there is nothing wrong with having those language options.

The passion you have for English, people have in Japanese as well. That's what you need to understand.

I went OUT OF MY WAY to edit every single Japanese voice in a video for Robin and other Smash characters. Simply because that is my preference.

And what makes me mad about Smash specifically with the lack of "dual audio" is the fact that those voices are IN THE GAME.

If you somehow hacked your Wii U to have the Japanese region setting, English smash has the Japanese voice set.

Same with the 3DS version.

So it's important to some people. You need to respect that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Intonation in Japanese is something you can feel as well, thank you very much.I don't speak for anyone else, considering I actually understand the language. But before then, my opinion was that English dubs didn't have that "feeling".Granted that has changed as of recently, but there's a reason certain JP voice actors have a cult following.I'm not saying you should give up your opinion of liking English better, but your OP really showed ranting hostility than anything else.As everyone has said in this thread before, there is nothing wrong with having those language options.

I'll grant you that, but have you ever actually played Xenoblade in English? This is the important question. I really really doubt that anyone in the industry could capture the magic that Adam Howden and Carina Reeves did in everything they did. I mean, their voices were perfect.

i also admit to watching an episode of chuggington and ffxiv heavenward cutscenes just because they had carina reeves

oops guess that's my cult following

EDIT:

Why even do that? Why even waste English Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, and Greninja? That's seems really weeabooish just like that video title to judge them like that.

also begging right now to switch Shulk to English and only Shulk

Edited by Freyjadour

I'll grant you that, but have you ever actually played Xenoblade in English? This is the important question. I really really doubt that anyone in the industry could capture the magic that Adam Howden and Carina Reeves did in everything they did. I mean, their voices were perfect.

i also admit to watching an episode of chuggington and ffxiv heavenward cutscenes just because they had carina reeves

I like to entertain the idea of different voice actors at different character. I mean imagine Crispin Freeman as Zanza. But they did a great job at their roles.

People like a thing. Time to be ok with people liking a thing. I like English dubs better than Japanese, but i dont see why other people have to conform to that. The only time i have a beef is when people say the Japanese is better objectively, because thats not entirely true. Opinions on that kind of thing are extremely subjective. If people like the Japanese more, yay! Awesome! Im glad someone can enjoy the JRPGs the way they want. But im going to enjoy mine in English. I dont understand why people complain about options. Options are amazing and without them, we wouldnt have amazing entertainment.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

EDIT:

Why even do that? Why even waste English Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, and Greninja? That's seems really weeabooish just like that video title to judge them like that.

My gosh. It's is REY'S video. Let him do as he wishes, why does it affect you what he chooses to do? Also, don't throw around the word "weeaboo" the way you are using it -- as an insult -- towards someone you don't even know. The only thing that you're accomplishing is making yourself look like a petty, intolerant person. And no one likes petty, intolerant people.

Edited by Sunwoo

i thought this was going to be about stereo sound...

anyway like, the japanese dub lets people hear how the original voices express themselves. pretty sure thats the main reason why people like subs i mean it makes a lot of sense. i dont have a pref but i always get used to whichever i watched first

The only time i have a beef is when people say the Japanese is better objectively, because thats not entirely true.

Pretty much my only issue in regards to voices, though when lack of dual audio is leveled at the game as a major flaw, that's also silly to me.

also the "british" (pretty generic, don't you think?) accent becomes less amazing when you live in the uk

second also yeah weeaboos all of you

Edited by Tryhard

This is the important question. I really really doubt that anyone in the industry could capture the magic that Adam Howden and Carina Reeves did in everything they did. I mean, their voices were perfect.

EDIT:

You're saying one thing, then you're doing another.

You're saying "I understand", but your post says "Try the English voices! I know you'll see it my way!"

You have to accept the fact that some people prefer Japanese, just because they do. And some people don't like English. And you apparently don't like Japanese. That's cool.

But you're acting like you can't fathom "HOW COULD YOU LIKE THE JAPANESE VOICES!? ENGLISH IS BETTER! JUST TRY IT!"

This is the important question. I really really doubt that anyone in the industry could capture the magic that Adam Howden and Carina Reeves did in everything they did. I mean, their voices were perfect.

No. That is an opinion. That is YOUR opinion. This is not objective. This is subjective.

"This is the important question. I really really doubt that anyone in the industry could capture the magic that Shintaro Asanuma and Eri Nakao did in everything they did. I mean, their voices were perfect."

See what I did there?

Edited by shadowofchaos

The only time i have a beef is when people say the Japanese is better objectively, because thats not entirely true. Opinions on that kind of thing are extremely subjective.

Yeah it's really annoying when people say this as the reverse can happen too. For example in Japan, Call of Duty has a pretty big cult following and loved by fans there. When Square Enix localized the games to Japan, they also dubbed them with Japanese voices and majority of the fans did not like them. Many were upset about it and they felt it sounded really unnatural to the tone and the settings that were being established in the presentations and background.

My opinons of voice dubbing is that if it sounds right, natural and works well with the tone of the character, then I am fine with it regardless of what language is being said.

Here are some CoD footages dubbed in Japanese you can judge for yourself.

Edited by kingddd

Because why cut down on people's preferential freedom? There are people out there who prefer something that you don't and don't always have their own wishes granted when games come overseas. Deal with it.

It comes down to preference really some people like the Japanese voices better some like english better. I like both so I'll switch between them in playthroughs. Heck I wish there was an option that lets you set the characters voice it self even if it's not that immersive. (EX. Character 1 has thier English voice, while Character 2 has thier Japanese voice)

also the "british" (pretty generic, don't you think?) accent becomes less amazing when you live in the uk

Is that true? I have a hard time imagining a scenario where someone like Xord doesn't sound hilarious.

But anyway I tend to judge the whole dubs vs sub thing on a case by case basis. If I play a game based on an anime I watch, then I would much rather play with subs since I already know the voices. Others would just sound off usually.

Not understanding what they say doesn't really have to be a bad thing either. It means you don't always realise how cheesy some things would sound in english.

unfortunately not every british person sounds like xord or anyone else from xenoblade i.e they're not all professional voice actors

come and listen to a scouser or geordie accent and then maybe you'll understand, and don't even get me started on those scottish plebs

smashing the dream and all that, I know

Edited by Tryhard

I tend to agree that UK-based voice actors (not just british) are consistently amazing in the vg industry. Not because of their accents, but because they don't tend to ham it up like some Japanese VAs and they don't tend to have a problem with being wooden like some NA VAs. It's all in the line delivery, and they seem to sit at the happy medium from what I've experienced.

That said, NA has the best VAs in the world and there isn't really a contest. There's just too much more money in it in the Americas. Of course, those people don't tend to get into vg voice acting, though we are seeing it happen more often.

Edited by Tangerine