Character Popularity Poll Results

Minischew

I don't understand why the avatars were in the poll to begin with. The entire point of them is that they're you, so it's like you're voting for yourself...

Sooo, if they make "Scramble" map(s) based on the popularity poll, they'll go with Jakob and Zero for the guys and Oboro and Azura for the gals, right? Cuz they already made a map for the siblings. It'd be kinda unfair. And, for the kids, it'd be Foleo and Dia for the boys and Eponine and Ophelia for the girls, yeah?

Not enough Hoshido!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to really hate the main/royal characters... Without them, Zero would've placed second IIRC. ;(

This means though, that if they do bring back characters in the next FE, ala lazward/odin/luna style, Zero will be there, considering they couldn't bring back the royals.. Same as they couldn't have Chrom or Lucina.

It's kind of a given that the royals would be so high. They get more screen time than the other characters (usually).

I think they will take non-royals into consideration as well.

Take a look as this:

Male Royals:

1.) Leo (#1)

2.) Xander (#2)

3.) Takumi (#3)

4.) Corrin/Kamui (#5)

Female Royals:

1.) Corrin/Kamui (#1)

2.) Camilla (#2)

3.) Elise (#4)

4.) Azura (#5)

Male Non-Royals:

1.) Jakob (#4)

2.) Zero (#7)

3.) Odin (#8)

4.) Lazward (#9)

Female Non-Royals:

1.) Oboro (#3)

2.) Flora (#8)

3.) Charlotte (#9)

4.) Eponine (#10)

Excluding the royals, the non-royal units I highlighted would be the most popular. All non-royals were still in the top-ten.

Yeah, I don't know why Corrin/Kamui was up so high. I thought he/she would fall by the wayside like Robin did. I like Robin's design much better than Corrin/Kamui's. =/

Overall, the Nohrian men were favored over the Hoshidian ones, which makes me very happy (Nohr's aesthetic>Hoshido's).

I'm glad Leo took the top spot, since he's a badass mage knight. Mages rule, period.

Edited by Leif

Ryoma got #6, that's not bad at all. ^^ Better than Frederick's #13 in the Awakening poll. Not happy to see Camilla and Xander so high though, I don't like them at all so far. Especially Camilla. Also wish that the Nohr royals hadn't done better overall than the Hoshido ones. Hoshido designs > Nohr designs, imo. Nohr has too much sexualization and ridiculous outfits.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm kind of giggling at the number of people saying "Kamui, ugh" on the SF side of things, but now I'm wondering about where all the Kamui votes had come from. Considering I hang out on SF (which tends to complain about everything) it's possible I'm getting a skewed view on things, but I thought a lot of people in Japan didn't like the story too much either. Kind of wondering if the majority of f!Kamui's votes weren't for her … "amazing" character, but because people like her design or seeing her as a vehicle for their own ships. I could live with that, since I don't think either Kamui is well written at all.

At least this should send a strong message to Intelligent System about the child characters: they're not wanted if they're not implemented well. The only one that's placed in the top 10 is Eponine (what.), and even the self insert's own kids are placed very far down.

With any luck, children won't appear as a convoluted afterthought next time around.

Message I'm getting is that they're actually liked. Well, the females at least. Royals, Aqua, and Oboro were more or less shoe-ins and I'd expect 1st-gen characters to beat 2nd-gen by way of sheer availability. Really, it's a fight for the upper-mid ranks, so Eponine, Ophelia, Soleil, and Kinu occupying part of it is a pleasant surprise to me. I suppose you could pin the first three on their fathers, all three of whom are pretty popular, but Kinu's father is a few steps away from the pit Fuuga, Yukimura, and all the male children not named Foleo occupy.

Results for the women in general are pretty varied compared to the men, where it's royals > 1st gen > 2nd gen + Kamuisexuals that no one ever uses for the most part. Flora being just behind Sakura at 8th place, the aforementioned children, Luna not sharing in Odin+Lazward's popularity, Orochi at dead last, it's all over the place.

I'm kind of giggling at the number of people saying "Kamui, ugh" on the SF side of things, but now I'm wondering about where all the Kamui votes had come from. Considering I hang out on SF (which tends to complain about everything) it's possible I'm getting a skewed view on things, but I thought a lot of people in Japan didn't like the story too much either. Kind of wondering if the majority of f!Kamui's votes weren't for her … "amazing" character, but because people like her design or seeing her as a vehicle for their own ships. I could live with that, since I don't think either Kamui is well written at all.

Well, as someone who did toss a few votes in for F!Kamui, I can tell you my votes were for her character/writing. Since marketing associates her with the Nohr route, I associate her with Nohr!Kamui, who I was a fan of. Given that you're never 'the only one' in these sorts of things, I imagine some of her votes came from there. She's also the most/only (depending on your route) prominent female character amongst all the males, so more screen time may well have given her an edge, particularly in girls like me looking for someone to identify with amid alllllll the male characters.

Looking at the people who topped their lists (the handsome, 'angsty' royals who don't tell Kamui their true feelings sweeping the top three, Zero, Eponine, Oboro to an extent), a good deal of them are just generally (more in some cases) popular with women, so more of the poll may well have been women, and similarly to me, they related to F!Kamui to some extent. They may have tossed in votes for her because they generally liked her and didn't care who got the lady portion of DLC. I doubt she had a good deal of fans who reliably tossed votes in solely for her every day, but it wouldn't be terribly surprising if she was one of the lady characters the female demographic, particularly, split their votes between. F!Kamui may well have just ended up on top because enough people split their votes enough ways, and she was the most common overlap.

Her design's also nice, like you mentioned, but even to be seen solely as a vehicle of a ship (which I have no doubt she is for some people), she still has to be generally likeable, which it seems she is at least according to the Japanese fandom.

Well, as someone who did toss a few votes in for F!Kamui, I can tell you my votes were for her character/writing. Since marketing associates her with the Nohr route, I associate her with Nohr!Kamui, who I was a fan of. Given that you're never 'the only one' in these sorts of things, I imagine some of her votes came from there. She's also the most/only (depending on your route) prominent female character amongst all the males, so more screen time may well have given her an edge, particularly in girls like me looking for someone to identify with amid alllllll the male characters.

90% of what I've heard about Nohr!Kamui was that they're utterly terrible. Even still, different people like different things, so whatever floats your boat.

Does anyone actually know when this DLC would come out? (I know it's technically not confirmed, but everyone knows it's going to happen, so...)

Would they announce which characters they plan to use? Or would they keep us waiting 'till the next wave of DLC, and then casually announce it alongside that? (For instance, if they decided to do another class DLC, would they announce Popularity DLC with it as the next wave?)

To my understanding, there was vocal group of people on some Japanese sites that were very critical of the story. However, it's the internet; the people with the strongest opinions are often the loudest. Most people probably felt "meh" about the story, so they didn't say much; if it doesn't carry any lasting impressions, why bother trying to start a discussion on the internet about it?

I only ever voted for Joker and Felicia (just because), so I'm content with their rankings.

The ranking of the royals is pretty much what I expected. Azura only ranked 5th, thankfully.

Edited by CyborgZeta

My first reaction is ewwww, why are the Kamuis that high up... I guess I'll just never understand the people who vote for self-inserts. I hate u, M!Kamui, for taking Ryouma's 5th place. Also, F!Kamui and the top 5 guys... I see what's fueling the fan arts :P

I only really backed male Corrin because I didn't care for pretty much all the other guys except Leon, who I felt didn't really need my help.

akdfjs Oboro's third...and it's her birthday ヽ(o♡o)/

EXCITEMENT please bring the merch in muahaha ~

I didn't vote for Takumi as much because I thought he'd get first ?? XD

either way, it makes me kind of happy they're both third lol

and Belka's higher than expected !

I only really backed male Corrin because I didn't care for pretty much all the other guys except Leon, who I felt didn't really need my help.

Same. I voted female Kamui because I didn't have any opinion one way or another for the girls. I'm also pretty sure Kamui is so high because of shipping reasons.

I'm happy to see Leon at 1st place. But Takumi at 3rd?! I kind of wish he was second because of DLC haha.

Glad to see Oboro at 3rd place, too! I really wasn't expecting Orochi to be dead last though...

hopefully we get some figures of leon and takumi tho

I ignored the royals and my personal favorite characters and kept voting for Benoit and Saizou, both need more love. Perhaps that's why they ended up pretty high up there.

Edited by Ryo

Sad face that Midoriko and Mozume are at #20 and #22 place, that's pretty low :(.

On the other hand, I wasn't surprised that Sakura and Elise are in the top 10 of this poll, considering Japan's popularity on the "siscon" fetish.

Also, I wasn't surprised that most of the Fates children characters are ranked lower than the rest of the cast, with the exception of Foleo (ranked #11, mostly because he's a "trap" character, and Éponine ranked #10 for being the "yaoi" fangirl).

Either way, I was curious, suppose Nintendo of America did the same poll for North American players, do you think the results will be any different, or a bit similar? I really can't say myself for sure, but I could say that Midoriko would be ranked a LOT higher for the females more or less thanks to GameFAQs taking a shine on her (the community made her popular with stuff like "backpack loli," "drug dealer loli," and "Weedoriko"). Of course, this is coming from GameFAQs, and they are known for their...unorthodox favorites and dislikes (for the record, this is the same board that voted Draven from League of Legends as the best video game character in the Character Battle polls).

Either way, I was curious, suppose Nintendo of America did the same poll for North American players, do you think the results will be any different, or a bit similar?

Leon probably will still be in the top if NOA make a poll next year, but I'm not sure about the other characters... Didn't in the Awakening one, Walhart ended too high in popularity in contrast to the japanese one? I think I remember that happened... So yeah, will be very different probably

But what will not change are the ones I vote

Leon probably will still be in the top if NOA make a poll next year, but I'm not sure about the other characters... Didn't in the Awakening one, Walhart ended too high in popularity in contrast to the japanese one? I think I remember that happened... So yeah, will be very different probably

But what will not change are the ones I vote

Well, from my knowledge in TV Tropes, Arthur is more popular in America than in Japan due to his red and blue armor that resembles to Captain America's outfit. The "justice" theme around Arthur also helps his popularity in America (in fact, if you play League of Legends, he is highly comparable to Garen in retrospects). I will say that if Nintendo of America does something crazy with any of the characters during the localization process (even the choice of voice actors), you might have some unexpected characters becoming more popular in America than in Japan. For example, Gregor wasn't exactly popular in Japan, but some of the localization changes and the decision to have the voice actor pull a Russian accent makes Gregor far more likable in the west.

I could see Midoriko being more popular in United States if they added in jokes in support conversations about her (i.e. being a drug dealer, which is a recurring joke in GameFAQs) and/or get someone like Christine Marie Cabanos or Sandy Fox voice her (the voice actor choices I've mentioned are highly unlikely).

Across from that, if Nintendo of America did a similar poll, the results probably won't change much.

Edited by Dark Paladin X

Oh well, shipping jokes aside, I'm pretty happy with how this poll turned out. Especially compared to the Awakening one (I cringed hard when Chrom was the most popular male)...

Y3M8k4.jpg

EArN0N.jpg

Why he wasn't playable in smash 4?! The costume told that he was highly demanded like King K Rool. Viridi having an outfit was the greatest thing they have ever done!

Most of this was pretty unsurprising to me, really, but I did notice a few things that stood out:

1) Flora beating out Felicia. Especially considering how Felicia is with you longer and is more aggressively marketed, I guess people really do like the blue-haired maid better.

2) Orochi getting dead last in the females. Didn't realize she was that unpopular, or maybe people are just more apathetic towards her.

I'm shocked that Flora being near on top which comes as to no surprise as she even gives you a smile even when she's your enemy. ^_^

Orochi is dead last even though she enticed many youtubers already.

The results are terrible

Yes they are...

Orochi should be higher.

Nishiki should be top ten goddamn it! What do they got against someone who wants to protect his village and not carrying a single negative thoughout while doing so?!

I'm sad that Flannel's all the way at 22.

When he and Orochi have enticed many youtubers. The results are terrible. Flannel. ^_^

Most of this excepted really. The only unexpected thing is Orochi in last. I guess she's kinda forgettable, maybe?

No one voted for her.

Finally, lets see how the characters I liked did:

-Flannel and Nishiki being #22 and 24 is a bit disappointing.

-Benoit being #13 is nice!

-Flora being #8 is really good, especially considering she's limited in her supports.

-I'm surprised Belka did pretty well.

-I'm glad that Oboro did well on the poll, she's really one of the best characters in the game.

Beyond the doubt.

MuUQQT.jpg

She gives you a smile even when she's your enemy. Plus being with you to smile along with Felicia in Ch2 is really something since she's harder to please than Felicia and she knows more about the world and has a more serious nature than her sister. Plus Felicia saying "Asalisioooo" partly saying "Ohiyo" meaning "Good Morning!" with them smiling is something liked especially after just waking up from unconsciousness.

Having steller stats in everything tells us that Holy Lancer may be the best class in the game!

urgh kamuis

Good to see at least Rinka isn't dead last? (of course not, I put a lot of effort into making sure that one), though a bit suprising to see Yukimura there. He's pretty cute.

Especially when he looks like Lezard frecking Valeth. :D

Eponine being so high honestly pisses me off more than the Kamuis.

I'm glad Foleo scored high though, he's adorable.

Foleo. :3

My first reaction is ewwww, why are the Kamuis that high up... I guess I'll just never understand the people who vote for self-inserts. I hate u, M!Kamui, for taking Ryouma's 5th place. Also, F!Kamui and the top 5 guys... I see what's fueling the fan arts :P

Nothing against the Awakening trio themselves, but them placing so high means we will likely get Fates characters in the next game :( At least many of the children ranked pretty low, so that will hopefully let IS know that we didn't appreciate random children that made no sense in the story. I always thought the Morgans were way cuter than the Kannas, anyway.

The royals ranked pretty much as expected, so not much to say there, but I'm very pleased with Oboro, Flora, Gunter, and Benoit's placement. Sad that Saizou didn't rank as well as Suzukaze, though...

I personally think Foleo is adorable, but I'm a little concerned that there's a bit of a fetish going on here.

Especially with his obsession for women's clothing.

Ryoma got #6, that's not bad at all. ^^ Better than Frederick's #13 in the Awakening poll. Not happy to see Camilla and Xander so high though, I don't like them at all so far. Especially Camilla. Also wish that the Nohr royals hadn't done better overall than the Hoshido ones. Hoshido designs > Nohr designs, imo. Nohr has too much sexualization and ridiculous outfits.

Guess people nowadays are fond of characters having a empress-like arcanic personally.

-----

-Pieri should be lower. She's annoying that you just want to punch her.

-Yuugiri should be higher for her graceful personality that she formerly wooed the men at the Hoshido capitol in her youth.

r4EXHw.jpg

-Sophie should be higher. She's very adorable like Leo.

SyLOaP.jpg

-Crimson is no Vaida. But...she is a respectful character and is pretty.

-Kagarou is one of the few characters like Camilla and Leo to offer fanservice! Why the fuck is she so low?!

-Mozume should go higher for her pretty smile.

-Syalla even at that place is sickening. 24th. Don't like her attitude at all. She's just ungrateful as Tharja was. Using her sexiness like Tharja and Excellus certainly doesn't make you forgive them.

Gt0gdh.jpg

-Hana in 21st is just plain terrible. She like Ninja rations for Christs sake. Their bitter. Plus she defends her country hard. Seeing this portrait...is most adorable.

-Midoriko is fair.

-Charolette isn't cute. 9th place is just sickening for her when her borderline personality disorder is offensive to some people.

-Flora is well deserved! ^_^

-Sakura should go higher than Hinoka and Azure. She tends the wounded and is a shy girl to make some people smile!

-Elise should go higher than Camilla. She brings grace to the game much more than Camilla.

-Oboro is well deserved! She even respects Belka who's parent killed Oboro's parents that you can see in their A support on Revelations. ^_^

-Yukimura looks evil. No surprise.

gLxRJz.jpg
9fBy4a.jpg
jmag2S.jpg

-Flannel and Nishiki so low is disgraceful.

-Gunter. Knowing why he got placed in 12th.

-Takumi in 3rd. Someone I'm not fond of.

Edited by Princess_Elise

I'm pleased to see Oboro did so well. I don't think I've read a single bad support of hers, and she is definitely the best written character in the game based on what I've seen. I don't know what to make to make of the children characters being so low, as I am fairly ambivalent towards them, though I guess if it results in them moving away from poor story contrivances to facilitate them it might be for the best...

I'm also happy to see Zero come so high, if only because it shows that same gender marriage options don't affect the popularity of characters (or even helps increase it). The fact that I find him incredibly entertaining probably helps. I'm disappointed to see Flannel score so low though.

It's nice to see Flora do well, especially the fact that she came higher than Felicia. I think it shows that good writing and character conflict is better than a tired cliche, even when said character has such little screen time in comparison. If only the same could be said for Camilla, who I'm not a fan of due to her kamui-obsessed one-dimensionality. It's disappointing she scored higher than Oboro, who definitely deserved top place in my my opinion.