Character Popularity Poll Results

Minischew

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanna is a very bland child character. He/She has the "cute child" and "parent adoration" sides of Morgan, but without anything else to make up for what she doesn't have, like the amnesia, pranks and tactics. The fact that Kanna's a dragon also seems to barely come up.

I wonder if they'll just ignore the female avatar winning one side of the poll? Although I guess the content could just be different, rather than an illustration. Maybe a special accessory or even a class for the poll winner.

Edited by NeonZ

I'm also surprised by how low the Kannas are even Lutz. Out of all the Awakening characters Owain and Inigo are still popular enough to be in the top 10. I find it funny how the oldest Nohrian siblings Xander and Camilla are both 2nd place, however on the other side the oldest Hoshido siblings are both at 6th place (let's not also forget 5th place with Mamui and Azura being the same age as counterparts). I'm so happy that Zero, Flora and Charlotte are in the top 10 they were who I voted for everyday. I'm just wondering how dlc is going to work out though because we all know that the royal are going to be popular, but it's like what about the non royals? Like could this mean that they will pick Zero and Joker for males and Oboro and Flora for females as special dlc?

Okay, who votes for what's supposed to be a self-insert? That seems a tad self-obsessive.

Nice to see my Flora and Oboro voting paid off.

I knew Leon had the dedicated fangirls to place high, but a tad surprising that Takumi is #3 when both polls previously had him at #1.

Either way, I think postergirl Azura did not go over quite as well as IS expected.

Oh. Time to see the characters I'm interested in.

Nyx? Gee, 2 away from being the worst 5.

Everyone's favorite wolf boy wasn't mainstream, but not uninteresting.

Not far from him in 26th place is Shigure. I feel like that's moderate or something.

Leo, I totally expected. I mean, who doesn't like Marth try-hard's. Remember Lucina? If you don't like Marth... Why. Are. You. Even. Playing.

Charlotte. Meh, seems expected.

Camilla tho... I'm quite surprised she didn't hit 1st. Maybe I was think outside the Fire Emblem fanbase that she would be considered... err... milf​, like, the obvious choice. I dunno. :|

Foleo being high surprises me.

I feel... I dunno, more concerned. Don't know why.

No, that is an indicator of whose fans are the most persistent.

Well, I mean, it can be an indicator of INTENSITY of their preference. Perhaps some characters have a broad group of people who like them, whereas some characters have a smaller group of people who like them A LOT MORE, comparatively speaking, than the degree to which the first group's character was liked.

It's not surprising that all the siblings are at the top of the list considering most people vote for the characters they actually use, and the game strongly encourages using the siblings both for story reasons and for their superior stats. I'm glad that an actual well-written character like Oboro got that high up though, since the royal sisters and Azura have no depth to speak of.

I suppose this list does prove once and for all that sex appeal > proper writing when it comes to Fire Emblem characters though.

As an aside, I'm so glad to see Kanna so far down, seeing as they tried to just replicate Morgan but with 20% more kawaii and none of the charm. Male Kamui being number five, even though he's supposed to be an extension of the player, is nice, although both Kamui deserve to be at the very bottom.

Well, I mean, it can be an indicator of INTENSITY of their preference. Perhaps some characters have a broad group of people who like them, whereas some characters have a smaller group of people who like them A LOT MORE, comparatively speaking, than the degree to which the first group's character was liked.

And the more intense fans are more likely to buy the DLC, which is probably a lot more IS's end goal, so running it like this, figuring out who's most liked by the most people, kinda makes sense.

Anyways, I'm rather happy to see everyone I voted for (Marx + a mix of Camilla, F!Kamui, Shara, and Sakura) did better than I expected. If Marx ends up with DLC, I may actually splurge on it for once.

Seeing enough of a placement difference between F!Kamui and M!Kamui is curious, though. You can kinda guess everyone else who placed highly did so because of some combination of shipping and writing (particularly the royals, given they play supporting/main cast depending on the side you pick so their writing is unavoidable), but it's hard to tell how the Kamui's got their votes. Eh, I guess I can hope some of the F!Kamui votes came from Nohr!Kam's writing (which doesn't seem completely out of the ballpark for at least some quantity of the votes given that that's why she got some of mine). It'd be nice to have more atypical protags and/or atypical protag journeys.

Edit: Also, looking at this more closely, it seems the Nohrians generally did better than the Hoshidans, so that's interesting. The most popular Hoshidan non-royal is 15th on the guys, and ignoring Oboro the outlier, the next most popular Hoshidan non-royal is 15th on the girls, too (and is Setsuna for some reason??).

And it seems the DLC will fall pretty easily. Both top five non-Kamui gender sets are two Nohrians, two Hoshidans, and one neutral.

Edited by blinkingbrave

Oh man there goes my dream of a Takumi figma. And dlc I guess.

Also Orochi being last feels really silly. Her personality might be a bit divisive, but at least there is more substance to go on than Camilla and a lot of others.

And fem!Kamui being voted first is just laughable. I mean, I can't think of any other reason to vote for Kamui besides the design and self-insertness.

This poll is just one big disappointment (except Oboro being 3rd, good for her).

(cringes at how Femui won first)

Anyway, some of the stuff here isn't all that surprising. The royal sibs got in the top tens, of course, though Leo beating Takumi was rather surprising. Interesting that the Awakening guys still placed rather highly.

I'm actually surprised that the Kanna's placed that low. Well, I'm more sad about Lutz because he seems really nice and stuff.

Edited by MidoriMage

So non royals would be:

Jakob, Zero, Oboro and Flora(which is quite interesting since she is a Kamuisexual) though they could go for Azura seeing that she did not get her time to shine like the others.

And children: Eponine(!), Foleo, Ophelia and Dia.

We can guarantee the these childrens getting something but I wonder(and hope) for them to go for some non-royal dlc.

Edited by FireRuby14

I mean, I'm happy that Oboro got 3rd because it must've been tough competing against a bunch of one-dimensional royals... but like

I really love Orochi. She's definitely my fav Hoshidian character in general.

Oh well, I guess.

So non royals would be:

Jakob, Zero, Oboro and Flora(which is quite interesting since she is a Kamuisexual) though they could go for Azura seeing that she did not get her time to shine like the others.

And children: Eponine(!), Foleo, Ophelia and Dia.

We can guarantee the these childrens getting something but I wonder(and hope) for them to go for some non-royal dlc.

The royals being so high was a obvious conclusion and too hope that we we get some non-royal dlc as well. I would be disappointed as I would much prefer Flora over Azura and I probably speak for mostly everyone else too in that regard.

My favorite Nohr children Lutz and Velour are so low it hurts.

Edited by AbsoluteZer0Nova

At least this should send a strong message to Intelligent System about the child characters: they're not wanted if they're not implemented well. The only one that's placed in the top 10 is Eponine (what.), and even the self insert's own kids are placed very far down.

With any luck, children won't appear as a convoluted afterthought next time around.

I don't think they're going to entirely ignore the royals, given their immense popularity and the sheer fact that they were included in the polls. Therefore, I personally think a special DLC will include the top characters for royals and non-royals, similarly to how they created two categories in Awakening by splitting up parents and children.

[spoiler=A Lot of Theory Crafting About the Possible Nature of the DLC]

So I think the characters for a special DLC would look something like this?

1. Leo

2. Xander

3. Jakob

4. Zero

1. Camilla

2. Elise

3. Oboro

4. Azura

After all, the two character DLC's we've had thus far had 8 characters... so I think IS is definitely willing to increase its volume and take on 8 characters at once for a DLC.

The only problem with this set up is that the majority of characters are Nohrian... so maybe they'll consider routes as a separate "category," and choose characters based on that? So it would be 1 Nohrian royal, 1 Hoshidan royal, 1 Nohrian non-royal, 1 Hoshidan non-royal, 1 neutral non-royal? So we'd get:

1. Leo

2. Takumi

3. Zero

4. Saizo

5. Jakob

1. Camilla

2. Hinoka

3. Charlotte (Flora seems unlikely, given that she's a Kamuisexual)

4. Oboro

5. Azura

The only problem with this is that this boosts the character number up to 10 now... which seems a bit of a stretch. After all, I imagine that would make production costs a tad bit more expensive, but the crowd probably would not react well to the DLC price going up, especially given that the #2's on both polls (Xander, Elise) were knocked down. They're also not going to be as willing to pay much for the Hoshidan characters, because in the end, Saizo was only 15th, and Hinoka 6th (Charlotte, while not a Hoshidan character, was also merely 9th).

I mean, that's just my assumption, given how many people jumped on the "FIRE EMBLEM FATES IS COMING OUT IN TWO VERSIONS? EW, THEY'RE COPYING POKEMON. THIS IS A SCAM." bandwagon. And I still see people bring up that ridiculous argument now and then, oh boy...

Thus what I'm thinking is that maybe they'll release two DLC: one dedicated simply to the most popular characters, and one that's more balanced out (in terms of royal vs. non-royal).

For the first DLC, maybe the top three characters from each route and poll (e.g. male/Nohr, male/neutral, female/Hoshido) will get an artwork? And for this they wouldn't be discriminating between royals and non-royals, given that this is simply going by pure popularity?

So those for the first DLC would be:

1. Leo

2. Takumi

3. Jakob

1. Camilla

2. Oboro

3. Azura

That's already 6 CG's, but at least it's 2 less from the royal packages...

And then for the second DLC, they'll increase the character count tremendously (to appeal to many people), but decrease the quantity dedicated to each character. When I say quantity, I mean that instead of each character getting their own artwork, they'll get a group artwork.

If they were to pursue this route, I think they'd go with all the royals (as they all placed within the top 10). And maybe they'd increase the non-royal count by x2 of what I suggested before, so that there are two non-royal Nohrians, two non-royal Hoshidans, and two non-royal neutrals (for both polls). So the final roster would look like:

1. Leo

2. Xander

3. Takumi

4. Ryoma

5. Zero

6. Odin

7. Saizo

8. Subaki

9. Jakob

10. Kaze

1. Camilla

2. Elise

3. Hinoka

4. Sakura

5. Charlotte

6. Berka (I don't think Fates places a high emphasis on children; unlike Awakening, children contribute nothing to the plot, and Fates has a really shoddy excuse for including children, which makes me think they're supposed to be more of an extra feature; hence, I think they might receive the same treatment as Kamuisexuals, especially since children can only support children, and it would be difficult to create groups with them)

7. Oboro

8. Setsuna

9. Azura

10. Felicia

That's an overwhelming number of 20... but given that 6 of them already got individual CG's, there would only be 14 characters to work with.

-> Xander/Ryoma => Eldest royal pair

-> Elise/Sakura => Youngest royal pair

-> Zero/Odin => Leo's retainer pair

-> Hinoka/Setsuna => Royal/retainer pair

-> Saizo/Kaze => Ninja brother duo

This would leave Subaki, Charlotte, Berka, and Felicia. Charlotte & Berka can buddy each other, so there can be a CG made based on their supports. Subaki & Felicia seem like a bit of a stretch, but they also have supports... so maybe? I mean, the 10 characters above were surprisingly very easy to pair up.

And if IS goes with this route, they'd have to make 7 more CG's.

As for the 6 repeated, top characters, they could either leave them out entirely, or have them make a brief cameo? As in, they could be the characters that set up the stage and explain what the heck is going on (similarly to how the royal brothers talked among themselves at the beginning of the Beach DLC).

This is a bit convoluted, and I definitely don't think it's going to happen in the manner I've described it, but I don't think I'm suggesting something so out of the field either? After all, Awakening had huge amounts of supports in their scrambles... this could be something akin to them.

Edited by Minischew

I don't think they're going to entirely ignore the royals, given their immense popularity and the sheer fact that they were included in the polls. Therefore, I personally think a special DLC will include the top characters for royals and non-royals, similarly to how they created two categories in Awakening by splitting up parents and children.

Pretty much this. Especially on the guys' side, since Leon, Takumi, and Marx (with some Joker) pretty much sweep the fanart, too. Excluding those three, despite them winning a poll everyone knows dictates DLC, does IS no favors as far as making money goes.

A Hoshido/Nohr DLC split seems most likely to me. Alternatively, the top five characters (excluding the Kamui's) are Leon, Marx, Takumi, Joker, and Ryouma and Camilla, Oboro, Elise, Aqua, and Hinoka, so 2 Hoshidans, 2 Nohrians, and 1 neutral a piece, keeping an even balance (though Sakura being the only royal who didn't make it up there is awkward).

I am so happy Zero got in the top 10. Though why the hell did Femui get 1st for females? Anyways, I hope they release a new DLC for theseI must see Zero in a lewd cutscene

Well, at least Zero made the #7 spot. I'm happy about that.

Also, I'm happy the first generation units absolutely demolished the children in popularity. I hope in future FEs, children will be excluded.

Edited by Leif