A clarinet plays through Micro Emblem!

Clarinets

Hello, everyone, and welcome to a Let’s Play of Micro Emblem! I’m sure you all recognize me from my Nuzlocke playthrough of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War…

Anyone? No?

Well, today I present you with an LP of a creative and fun Fire Emblem fangame made by SEVA with 19 chapters. This game is supposed to be pretty challenging. I guess we’ll see as time goes on, won’t we~

I aim to get the secret ‘Good Ending’, which apparently exists in the game. Hmm, I wonder how you reach it…

Well, on to Chapter One!

[spoiler=Chapter One]

eaarydl.jpg

As you can see, the creator chose an 8-bit art style for this game. I quite enjoy it. Naturally, I press start and…

V9fxQT0.jpg

That’s right, this game even has a VS mode! I didn’t check it out, though… Anyway, I click story.

UvfSTCh.jpg

Then new…

WNn8jT2.jpg

And Chapter One begins! This is going to be fun : ]

msg-15542-0-93768800-1448821860.png

Here's the map. We get to use a King, an Archer, a Knight (cavalier), and a Soldier.

j5ioRri.jpg

Here we have the King’s stats. I thought for sure I got a screenshot of the unit’s placement… That’s not what matters here, though. Below his stats there’s what may turn out to be my favorite button in the game. the Rename button. I’m going to have fun with these names :evil:

jXcBOjJ.jpg

The King’s name. What? You think it’s a strange choice? Bah! You have no taste.

mWmX8gd.jpg

Here we have Jiffy, the Archer. He’s so cute~

HEWdkXn.jpg

Viscoci the Knight, named after viscosity. Or at least I thought so, but apparently the second ‘C’ is an ‘S’...

dOJGETo.jpg

Here we have Ikrace the Soldier. His name does NOT stay the same, and his next name is ‘Tesla’. I shall refer to him as Tesla even while he’s Ikrace.

u69YBqa.jpg

Some menu changes here. Attack has been replaced with Fight while Wait is changed to Stop. There’s also no healing items like Vulneraries in this fangame, and no trading (since each unit is given a weapon they permanently use and it never breaks).

yAT6d0O.jpg

Here’s a demonstration of Quek’s move. Don’t worry, this is average for Micro Emblem.

LEOp8zz.jpg

Our starting formation. The plan is to lure the Butcher over there (not a Healer, I couldn’t tell either) and attack him while he’s separated from the rest of his army.

TfGsGbz.jpg

Config is still here, not that I change anything in it. Quit is like Suspend but sends you to the beginning of the chapter (I did that once on Chapter One :(). And finally, End ends your turn.

cs5SFnC.jpg

Quite a few enemies start to approach us. Jiffy heads forward to try and pick off the Butcher.

O49Hu8h.jpg

Then, Viscoci goes in to…

Yeah, Knights aren’t that great of fighters…

nuXZPwd.jpg

Instead of that, we make the most well-planned wall in existence. Definitely no glaring flaws in its design…

ZiY0dW7.jpg

Naturally, the Butcher attacks Jiffy so Tesla goes in to stab him. He does a whopping 5 damage to him, too!

AN3Pkjz.jpg

That village isn’t just there for show. You can visit it and get…

37xVLi4.jpg

:lol: :D::lol:

nMQXMyG.jpg

His name is Berah. Don’t listen to that lie of a name.

His stats are good, though.

kkAxWI6.jpg

Heal has been replaced with treat despite the class’s name being Healer.

C0ZkbRK.jpg

Tesla gets some of his precious health back. He needs it…

4l6xuNO.jpg

Our new formation. Don’t worry, Berah can’t be attacked by the Butcher.

v1aqPUz.jpg

There’s still a large amount of forces walking over to us, and I’m very intimidated. We’ll be able to pull through though, I’m sure!

5Xs5SyJ.jpg

Spot the problem with this plan!

du02L1F.jpg

I found it! What a close call…

ytC9Rla.jpg

Tesla attacks and kills the Butcher.

KWE5bqN.jpg

Jiffy moves forward while Quek starts aggressively stabbing this poor Soldier.

LsW7ITT.jpg

Viscoci is actually useful! :D

3sB2buK.jpg

The best formation.

oiLSOlp.jpg

We (obviously) survived that but now another Butcher is approaching! Jiffy chips away at the Soldier’s health (and is only in range of the Soldier).

YoumFcS.jpg

Viscoci is so good

UR3e09d.jpg

Well, he’s able to kill the Soldier right here. Good job unless you’re fighting a Butcher!

F9GXg78.jpg khvPOAy.jpg

Berah helps Quek make a wall.

i67IZVJ.jpg

Quek slices this Butcher’s arm off and…

NRzyZie.jpg

If there weren’t as many Butchers in this game, then you would be a pretty great unit, Viscoci. But there are so you’re going to the bench (if there is one).

20m9EWS.jpg

The worst formation.

L2h4Cwc.jpg

Berah and Jiffy are both attacked and put in pain. Jiffy, I think, could survive another blow however.

wdszMTI.jpg

Quek misses. Thanks a lot, RNG. No one else can get into a position in which they could kill the Butcher except for Jiffy…

VlAV88W.jpg

Who also misses! Thank you Anna, this is very helpful >.<

Tesla attacks the Soldier, by the way.

g22Hm9s.jpg

I would’ve been able to kill the Soldier if Quek had hit the Butcher and Jiffy had attacked the Soldier, but sure let’s just let me get RNG’d.

NTFAuzM.jpg

So yeah, Tesla and Berah both died. I reset and take a break. I’ll see you all next time!

9PisZPr.jpg

Obviously, I was kidding. LET’S DO THIS.

8Vi9eMq.jpg

We lure out the Butcher.

And I didn’t take any other screenshots for this oops, but the Butcher walked over and died.

Mo86E7h.jpg

I create a wall to block off any and all possible death. Except for the fact that Jiffy’s in the wall.

God, I need to plan better.

J5v8f7s.jpg

Nonetheless, the wall works and someone even kills one of the Soldiers or he backs away.

QxylvIe.jpg R3UEIQu.jpg

My units begin their advance and let our useful worm do its job.

wZk9ZHJ.jpg

Apparently that Soldier isn’t biting… Oh well, all the better for me to work with.

o8y8s7f.jpg

Quek decides that he wants to stand in the range of the Butcher as well. How selfish.

KJpD25U.jpg

The fish bites but it appears the Soldier is standing in the range of it for backup. Yes, the generic Soldier had smart enough A.I. that he KNEW to do that. I was impressed.

35WnamQ.jpg

I make one of the better formations of the chapter...

s0vrvvt.jpg

And it allows me to reel in our catch! The Soldier is wounded as well.

VWtjDEO.jpg

Well, that’s the end of the Chapter. You guys put up a great fight. Good game!

Wow, that was fun and had just the right amount of challenge for the beginning of the game. It was intelligently planned and genuinely required me to think unlike Awakening. Great job so far, SEVA.

Alright, I plan on uploading these once a day, but I wouldn’t count on that being 100% the case. Could someone help me create a gif showing the map in it? I don't know how to do that with Imgur. Thanks!

Edited by ClarinetsandOboes

Wow, this game really is the minimalistic version it says it is! And that's perfectly okay. No dialogue or story to get in the way, just gameplay. I was too lazy to play it, but I hope you have fun with it! I'll definitely be reading this.

Also, what I do for chapter maps is turn off all external stuff(terrain/unit displays), take pictures of all parts of the map, go to "edit image" and cut what needs to be cut so there's no overlap. However, that might not work here, since the game and systems are so different. Not to mention, there's that big black border around everything that would need to be cut every single map image... I can't really help you much there, I'm afraid.

I haven't touched any of the not-old versions of this game, but I'm guessing you're playing fullscreen? The game has set zoom levels, so if your screen is bigger than the largest, it just fills the empty surrounding area with blackness (likewise, if a certain zoom level is too big for your screen, it'll get cut off. Basically this game probably isn't intended to be played fullscreen, hence the name)

I haven't touched any of the not-old versions of this game, but I'm guessing you're playing fullscreen? The game has set zoom levels, so if your screen is bigger than the largest, it just fills the empty surrounding area with blackness (likewise, if a certain zoom level is too big for your screen, it'll get cut off. Basically this game probably isn't intended to be played fullscreen, hence the name)

Yeah, I like the current zoom level. After I upload chapter two (tomorrow, probably) I'll cut the blackness out of the pictures when I take screenshots of them.

(Well, what I mean is, you can probably keep that zoom level but not have the blackness if you just play not-fullscreen, assuming this is the case. But you might then have to still cut out the rest of your desktop depending on how you screenshot, so maybe the black is easier and idk ignore me *rolls away*)

(Well, what I mean is, you can probably keep that zoom level but not have the blackness if you just play not-fullscreen, assuming this is the case. But you might then have to still cut out the rest of your desktop depending on how you screenshot, so maybe the black is easier and idk ignore me *rolls away*)

I don't know if there even is an option to get it out of full screen. Also, I use Bandicam for the screenshots so it would be easy to just screenshot the part of the screen that mattered but I didn't actually know that the screenshots would be so huge so I didn't bother. Thanks for the advice, though.

Wow, this game really is the minimalistic version it says it is! And that's perfectly okay. No dialogue or story to get in the way, just gameplay. I was too lazy to play it, but I hope you have fun with it! I'll definitely be reading this.

Also, what I do for chapter maps is turn off all external stuff(terrain/unit displays), take pictures of all parts of the map, go to "edit image" and cut what needs to be cut so there's no overlap. However, that might not work here, since the game and systems are so different. Not to mention, there's that big black border around everything that would need to be cut every single map image... I can't really help you much there, I'm afraid.

Also since I forgot to mention this earlier oh my gosh Moniker likes my LP

Hmm. I can check the config to see if turning off all the displays is possible and I can cut the black border out of the image range but I'm really lazy and this seems challenging a gif of it seems like a lot less time-consuming and I don't have access to my desktop as often. Come to think of it, right now would be a perfect time to continue playing Micro Emblem and gathering screenshots...

Anyway, I'll be able to get Chapter Two up tomorrow for sure.

Also since I forgot to mention this earlier oh my gosh Moniker likes my LP

Hmm. I can check the config to see if turning off all the displays is possible and I can cut the black border out of the image range but I'm really lazy and this seems challenging a gif of it seems like a lot less time-consuming and I don't have access to my desktop as often. Come to think of it, right now would be a perfect time to continue playing Micro Emblem and gathering screenshots...

Anyway, I'll be able to get Chapter Two up tomorrow for sure.

Man, why do people never ever read the Readmes? Seriously, read the Readme! It's useful! And it's not long! But for now, what you're looking for is

[f4] - Toggle fullscreen

EDIT: As for removing all the displays, I didn't put an option to do that, sadly, but if you want I can render each map for you myself, and send them to you as soon as you've reached the corresponding chapters.

Edited by SEVA

Man, why do people never ever read the Readmes? Seriously, read the Readme! It's useful! And it's not long! But for now, what you're looking for is

EDIT: As for removing all the displays, I didn't put an option to do that, sadly, but if you want I can render each map for you myself, and send them to you as soon as you've reached the corresponding chapters.

Wait, there was a readme? As for the maps, if that doesn't bother you to do than feel free to, thanks :^_^:

Well, I’m back~

[spoiler=Chapter Two]

d2P49wl.jpg

Well, let’s begin.

msg-15542-0-21484000-1448821879.png

Here's this level's map.

IsQ1X75.jpg

Viscoci heads over to kill that Archer.

BSShtVD.jpg

...Unfortunately, terrain is pretty powerful in this game. This will take a while.

2Iqk7Ix.jpg

Especially when he misses >.<

uYMv1Gb.jpg

Quek steps out to get that Soldier away from the other enemies.

DdZhk7i.jpg

I create one of my best formations yet around Quek’s positioning.

9qasac5.jpg

...Maybe someone else would’ve been better for this job…

mY7M4Yc.jpg

Viscoci stands here to lure the Archer back out.

JTh1A4N.jpg

Berah heals up Quek (even though Quek is great and barely took damage) and then Quek attacks the Soldier again getting him back to 12/14 HP. My planning.

Sae7F1k.jpg

That Soldier up there still isn’t a problem and neither is the Archer to the right.

HzcBPOt.jpgCNv8DQE.jpg

He’s dead and Jiffy gets a pretty bad level up. Don’t keep this up, Jiffy. I want to use you longterm.

8ejM1v1.jpg

The Archer is ready to be hit again.

Zf9IREZ.jpg

iWKad22.jpg

nHmD3cq.jpgt1L09BC.jpg

Everyone who can attacks Quek.

xWAlVRt.jpg

Thank you. Thank you.

OgRxilP.jpg

Finally, someone other than Viscoci can kill this Archer.

7pp9uqr.jpg

I still allow him to get some chip--

uwpdrJc.jpg

e39.png

Vr3fzXp.jpg

Luckily, Jiffy can still deliver just the right amount of damage (and can actually hit)!

YNevESN.jpg

Yeah, and I thought Quek’s bases were good. I’m going to like this unit. >:)

eqiD0yV.jpg

We’ve got the Archer surrounded and Berah protected from the aforementioned Archer.

l6n04F7.jpg

The units do a lot of stuff to the Archer but he’s still not dead.

R1ZILtg.jpg

In addition, a Soldier is approaching us from the north. Luckily, it’s only two units…

t6dObNf.jpg

Then Tesla has 1 HP and will be killed by this Archer :cry:

2Oi51oc.jpg

...Who attacks Jiffy?!? Okay…

fEz96lS.jpg

Anyway, he’s finally dead--

ODbQEmD.jpg

grumpy-cat-definitely-did-not-make-100-m

yyWMpK7.jpg

Okay, THIS time he dies. For real. Viscoci needs more Hit (Skill, if it wasn’t obvious) and soon.

g7Pvlh3.jpg

I’m liking these non Jiffy levels.

RMtONdg.jpg

We set up a formation around the mountain or something. Jiffy moves to the forest below Quek, though.

v0X8Oju.jpg

...Instead of attacking us (and dying), the Soldier chooses the much smarter option of ‘back up into my allies’ range’. The A.I. in this game is pretty impressive.

8tgN38j.jpg

And terrible, because now we have to deal with two Butchers. These guys are very tough, as you saw in Chapter One. Neither of their ranges are really anywhere near the Soldier, so I can still pick off the Soldier before dealing with them.

pXbODnV.jpg

I think it’s safe to say he needs it.

Vi12en3.jpg

Viscoci (and Jiffy because that was for whatever reason my previous plan) head towards the village.

nAuli83.jpg

Quek and Tesla head over to the Soldier to violently kill him.

P5lYS1A.jpg

He walks over and Quek is healed before…

9yfxy3t.jpg

Quek <3

Sx2ozw3.jpg

Everyone advances. We’re nearly done now, we just have those two painful Butchers.

R37881B.jpg

They’re coming before I’m ready O.O

K0572sS.jpg

Hmm, I wonder what this village holds…

j5RGJO7.jpg

:wtf: to : ] to :evil:

My reaction ^

IwdVvqk.jpg

His new name is Pedic the medic.

YGMiZgZ.jpg

Tesla gets some yummy heals. He’ll need it, knowing how hard these guys hit.

0xTpUs4.jpg

Finally, I’m somewhat prepared for their approach.

rMb9PNN.jpg

Until they walk away. >.<

P7m9xCM.jpg

Quek stands on the fort over there to combat them (he’s so going to be overleveled)

8D7Lmc9.jpg

Everyone else watches from a safe distance with their popcorn in hand. This’ll be good.

zkGcmvl.jpg

...Or at least I thought it would, but instead they walk into an exceptionally more overpowered formation.

S7WpaAz.jpg

Hmm. He can attack Jiffy…

wdW9zdK.jpg

Jiffy walks to the right and uses Tesla as a meatshield. Eh, Tesla will be fine. I hope.

T0lBTgT.jpg

You’re going to target Pedic aren’t you…

wKIpoIF.jpg

Yeah, Pedic is a glass cannon unlike every other Butcher so far.

YbGYLsr.jpg

We begin the assault!

nKOqxTI.jpg

While I’m surprised Viscoci can actually damage this Butcher, he’ll still die from fighting him so no.

fexburI.jpgaPIC3R5.jpg

After healing the poor fellow, Pedic goes in to kill that Butcher. He had better not miss…

637St8f.jpg

Micro Emblem, or Knights Always Miss the Game! I mean come on, Viscoci is getting seriously abused (and not in the good levels/dodgetanking way) by the RNG.

r7DRJaI.jpg

Jiffy goes in for a chip…

HZTOkda.jpgDbDKSMe.jpg

...And Quek ends the remaining Butcher’s life! Also, his growths in Hit and HP are greater than 100. He’s pretty amazing :D

Alright, I’ll be able to cut the huge black border out of every screenshot for the LP from now on! Hurray~

EDIT: Alright, I've fixed the images! Enjoy the update!

Huh? The images aren't displaying correctly to me. They turned into links...

Honestly surprised you commented so soon after I updated the LP! Anyway, I'm sorry but I made an error that I don't know how to fix. I'm sorry about all the problems this causes :(

EDIT: Haha, fixing it now :)

Alright, this is the first update I’m splitting into two parts!

[spoiler=Chapter 3]

RH4y4E0.jpg

Here we go, Chapter 3!

msg-15542-0-36044700-1448821884.png

The Chapter's map. The first indoor map we face!

utHxCTZ.jpg

Pedic over there will lure the Soldier to the right rather than towards Quek.

ob3YRAu.jpg

I move a few other units to their proper locations.

IBl4ja8.jpg

As I expected, the Soldier went for Pedic and Jiffy can easily kill him.

FAYCvbL.jpgxHcnAsr.jpg

Viscoci chips the Soldier for Tesla to finish him off.

xHcnAsr.jpg

Thanks to this Archer, Berah can’t go over and heal Pedic.

rOk8fl3.jpg

Instead, I just move him right here.

zCIYp1a.jpg

All the enemies move and Quek gets to work on killing the Armor.

eJBw1BL.jpg

Jiffy joins in on the murder.

V2XRT1m.jpg3HVk4Gg.jpg

Viscoci-- I mean, Tesla starts killing the Butcher.

f4enJDK.jpg

I accidentally make Pedic Stop rather than attack the Archer. Oops.

YG8PNXN.jpg

Oh well, Jiffy (somehow) survives anyway~

ySJKCSW.jpg

Tesla kills the Butcher. He’s a pretty good unit, that’s for sure.

CzPcdIg.jpg

Meanwhile, Quek stabs the Armor to death.

pzgujmT.jpgHo3Lz21.jpg

Viscoci and Pedic both slice at the Archer’s flesh. Doing this takes Berah out of the Archer’s range.

Ttb2zUb.jpg

...And then the Archer shoots Jiffy to death… Reset!

xzjnGfl.jpgI4eM8zm.jpgI4eM8zm.jpg

Viscoci is out of the range of the many enemies to the north so he steps forward to attack the Soldier.

ltFNbCk.jpg

He missed. Of course he missed.

6VZKnLZ.jpg

Everyone stands in positions that I like.

9K1Pd0R.jpg

This Archer isn’t OHKO’d, but that’s the first chance of a crit I’ve seen yet so I forgive Quek.

cwpuF2p.jpg

Jiffy shoots this Archer and sees the first enemy crit chance yet.

sFYrmJc.jpg2bXsjCX.jpg

I don’t want Tesla to be destroyed by the Soldier so I make him stop there.

lwcOfWo.jpg

Viscoci has 17 health so I let him hit the Soldier.

Yes, he actually hits.

DkUXskH.jpgZaQDGJW.jpg

Berah walks over and heals Viscoci up and Pedic shields Berah from enemy attacks.

Cfh9apt.jpg

Jiffy is incapable of killing the Soldier, so I don’t have him try.

OPwlKhi.jpg

Instead, Pedic goes to kill the Butcher before getting healed--

nJQ0Pwj.jpg

R.I.P.

cIIoLOI.jpg

I do the same thing as last time. Viscoci wouldn’t miss twice, after all…

HJwlZYC.jpg

JackieChanWhy.gif

layz3PL.jpgqA7bWaF.jpgcqQWOaI.jpg

All three enemies can easily team up on Pedic and kill him, but the Archers of this game really like to attack other Archers so we’ll see.

zX3916d.jpg

As expected, the Archer goes for Jiffy. Viscoci punishes him for his stupidity.

6Rg5jam.jpg

Pedic kills this poor Butcher. They have the exact same stats, actually.

0jHulqk.jpgdZXn4fJ.jpg

Jiffy and Quek chip away the Soldier’s health so that Tesla can kill him.

22hstP8.jpg

...Unfortunately, Tesla is incapable. :facepalm:

At1D9Cg.jpg

Berah heals up Pedic. I’m surprised I didn’t do this earlier and sent Berah to the right instead of the left at the start.

cdAb8r2.jpg

The Soldier is finally dead.

kSSQUYa.jpg59nRHgD.jpg

Meanwhile, Quek can’t quite OHKO this Butcher so Jiffy deals the finishing blow--

SF6ObDE.jpg

He misses :cry:

hZ5eQBw.jpg

By the end of our turn, the formation looks like this.

93CCf1O.jpg

Berah heals up Jiffy. He welcomes the extra health.

cGwBV9p.jpgswoseUK.jpg

Meanwhile, Quek is almost capable of killing this Archer (not that I would’ve done that anyway), but I make him wait at the map’s chokepoint instead.

Py5CiFm.jpg

Everyone else backs up so I don’t have to deal with the Archer damaging them.

s2Z05x6.jpgCXx8eR4.jpg

Jiffy kills the Soldier and Quek, wounded from his time as a wall, backs away.

ev4VRoN.jpgefYsZ4e.jpg

Pedic takes Quek’s place. I’m really worried something will go wrong...

QX1JkTR.jpg

exhales

DqdfPlR.jpgDqdfPlR.jpg

Pedic kills the Armor and gets a pretty good level up from it. He could use some more defense, though.

topJHpR.jpg

I don’t do this.

4pxRXCO.jpg

On today’s episode of Who’s That Wall we have surprise contestant Viscoci! Viscoci, tell us why you’d make a good wall.

dSroJwj.jpguQqvxs7.jpg

Viscoci: Well, I can kill Butchers ha, they don’t know my greatest weakness! and get good levels from it.

Hmm, that’s pretty good wall material.

CulYKtH.jpg

I place Jiffy here so he can attack the Archer without dying (on enemy phase, anyway).

cQLA7Vb.jpgfGa10fq.jpg

Pedic is healed and Berah gets yet another good level up. Am I getting RNG blessed or are the growths just this good?

wF38Bd6.jpg

Enemy phase happens, and I’m beginning to think the growths are just this good. I mean this is the fifth 5-stat level my units have had in a row!

UcfDZVn.jpg64q0f5e.jpge2b3tfU.jpg

I almost have Viscoci attack the Soldier, but I remember to heal him up a bit before doing so. Good thing too, or he would’ve died…

kt1Nzyl.jpg

Jiffy kills the final remaining enemy, and--

w0AsDaQ.jpg

y-u-no-guy.jpg

There's still a bit of the black border. And it's not even the same size around all the edges. Looks odd. Couldn't you just use windowed mode?

Um... next time :XD:

RIP Jiffy. Again and again and again and...

Chapter 3 is not looking nice. Good luck getting through it intact and hey Viscoci may not be such a POS after all if he levels like that.

Guys, sorry I didn't update today. I'll get through Chapter 3 tomorrow.

lol

I will update tomorrow, okay? As a matter of fact, I'll go play through Chapter 3 right now. Maybe even Chapter 4 as well~

Chapter 3 is not looking nice. Good luck getting through it intact and hey Viscoci may not be such a POS after all if he levels like that.

I guess, but everyone levels like that so he may always just be worse than everyone else. He has better Move than everyone else though, so he does have his uses.

Well, I completed Chapter 3.

However, my internet decided to be slow so I can't upload the screenshots to Imgur just yet.

I will update tomorrow, okay? As a matter of fact, I'll go play through Chapter 3 right now. Maybe even Chapter 4 as well~

I will fulfill this promise, or at least half of it :D

Well, I completed Chapter 3.

However, my internet decided to be slow so I can't upload the screenshots to Imgur just yet.

I will fulfill this promise, or at least half of it :D

I await.

Oh, I'm here by the way...reading. That's allowed, right?

I await.

Oh, I'm here by the way...reading. That's allowed, right?

UGH

I finally stopped being lazy and actually started uploading the screenshots to Imgur and it's taking too long for me to be able to update today! I need to stop procrastinating.