The Making of Fire Emblem - Fates Information

Mox

So, I (independently from the above post) found jokerthebutler on tumblr via himynameismaurice. So, a summary of my findings:

-Lilith was originally much more mature looking in her initial design, but was brought down in age because lolis to make a cute mascot-type character.

-The elder brothers were designed with a "Lion" motif; Ryoma's hair is meant to invoke a lions' mane, while Marx is more straightforward (the lion head on his shield).

-The younger brothers were designed as fanservice for all the female fans.

-Kozaki designed Camilla (nowhere does it say Camilla's armor, as some have claimed) to be the opposite of Hinoka.

-On a related note, a few of the devs were immature enough as to make cow jokes about Camilla in an interview.

-Hinoka didn't exist at all in Kibiyashi's draft (which, to further drive home that it was extremely rough, had many characters left unnamed); the sibling balance would have been 4 and 4 total, with the MU being the 4th Hoshido sibling.

-Said draft also had Sakura as an Elise clone (again, showing how rough things were); obviously, IS then took her down the miko route design-wise and made her the polar opposite of Elise, while designing Elise as a generic "Magical Girl" to go with her extremely upbeat personality.

-Last (but not least), Kozaki admitted to throwing a little too much Vito Corleone into Garon's design; also, Marx himself most closely resembles a young Garon.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Thank you for all of this information! A lot of that, especially the designs for the siblings is (are?) very useful. And not that I dislike Hinoka or anything but I would have liked it better if the MU was the 4th sibling (just less siblings in general lol). She didn't have such a big part anyways.

Hinoka probably is the most forgettable sibling to me, with Camilla also being nearly as forgettable. Maybe the older sisters should've just been cut out? The only reason I even remember Camilla is because I'm constantly rolling my eyes over her bad armor and unnecessarily big and out-there breasts. Hinoka really does seem like someone you could just throw on the back burner...

I don't mind Kamui having a lot of siblings in itself, but clearly the plot can't keep track of them all -- in which case I feel that it may have been better to just give Kamui less siblings instead. The game can't even handle four siblings in the Hoshido and Nohr paths. They do a REALLY bad job of it in the third path.

Yeah, Camilla and Hinoka would have been better off cut. The story itself forgets Hinoka exists, and it treats Camilla so poorly she may as well not be anything beyond walking fanservice.

Elise and Sakura could arguably have been cut out, too. Elise only does one important thing in one path, and Sakura, while she isn't just ignored like Hinoka, doesn't do anything at all. They could have genderbent Leo and Takumi into girls if they really wanted Corrin to have a little sister figure.

It's not that I don't like the sisters, they just don't really contribute and clutter up the narrative as a result.

I think I would've preferred either the older brothers being gender bent, or one side had an older brother/younger sister while the other side had an older sister/younger brother. Although I really wouldn't have been opposed to Kamui having only brothers either. Most FE lords who have siblings have overwhelmingly had sisters, and the few who have brothers don't have playable brothers. I am just a bit tired of the lord only having playable sisters.

-Said draft also had Sakura as an Elise clone (again, showing how rough things were); obviously, IS then took her down the miko route design-wise and made her the polar opposite of Elise, while designing Elise as a generic "Magical Girl" to go with her extremely upbeat personality.

In that case~...

-Last (but not least), Kozaki admitted to throwing a little too much Vito Corleone into Garon's design; also, Marx himself most closely resembles a young Garon.

...Does that mean that Marx will look like Garon once he gets old?

I know alot of people on this forum are interested in the information about the characters.

So I took pictures of the chapter on the Fire Emblem Fates characters. I didn't scan them cuz it takes so long, so I tried my best to take the photos so the words are legible. Sorry if some of it looks scrappy, was in a rush since I've been busy the last few days.

Feel free to translate, use, etc etc.

Fire Emblem Fates: On the Characters (pg 208-221)

I might do the same with the "On the Direction" since I'm curious about it, but not sure if people have already translated that already?

Edited by maskedmarth