The Making of Fire Emblem - Fates Information

Mox

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now, people, we don't actually know if it made sense in his draft or not. Still, this is some very interesting information, and if they did follow the draft as closely as they say, then he needs to stay as far away from video game as possible for a long, long time. Still, I'll direct my righteous fury over this game's narrative at the guilty party only when I know for certain who managed to butcher it completely.

In a later post, I actually edited in what I find most likely: Kibiyashi was pretty busy during the time he penned the game's initial drafts. Consider how 10 pages per route became 500; I think he did a ton of spitballing during writing and, as a result, the drafts themselves were very rough and unpolished- as initial drafts tend to be.

EDIT: So, two things about the book came to my attention.

First of all, it's about 70%-80% Awakening and Fates, with the remaining part dedicated to everything else. Very unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected.

Secondly, according to design notes Leon has "feelings that extend beyond familial" for Camilla. That has had a very negative effect on his popularity in the Japanee fandom, so much so that a Native has compared to an "atom bomb"... considering this is Japan, HOLY ****.

Edited by The DanMan

In a later post, I actually edited in what I find most likely: Kibiyashi was pretty busy during the time he penned the game's initial drafts. Consider how 10 pages per route became 500; I think he did a ton of spitballing during writing and, as a result, the drafts themselves were very rough and unpolished- as initial drafts tend to be.

EDIT: So, two things about the book came to my attention.

First of all, it's about 70%-80% Awakening and Fates, with the remaining part dedicated to everything else. Very unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected.

Secondly, according to design notes Leon has "feelings that extend beyond familial" for Camilla. That has had a very negative effect on his popularity in the Japanee fandom, so much so that a Native has compared to an "atom bomb"... considering this is Japan, HOLY ****.

Oh my that's hilarious.

Beyond familial. I know there are people who are actually disappointed you can't S Support with Lilith, so I can only imagine how people would react to this info.

Edited by JupiterKnight

Okay, I know we've all given IS crap about the incest in Fates, but what the hell...

Will the incest never end?! Why are they so fixated on it?! First they made the Hoshido siblings S-Rankable, then they made M!Kamui's heavily implied canon love interest his cousin and now this? Are we sure that the story wasn't written by George R. R. Martin?

Edited by Phillius

Man, it's as if they're just determined to chip away at the Kamui+family focused game I was so excited for... Is Leo having a crush on his sister in any way necessary? Seriously? It's as if the Nohrian family wasn't screwed up enough as it is and they wanted to make them look even worse.

Dammit IntSys you have ONE JOB and that's to NOT make siblings romantically interested in each other.

Like seriously, the theme of this game was supposed to be family, and you're throwing it away for what? Some kind of fetish? Why would you do this?

...He's still getting his figma, right? I was so psyched that he was first because that popularity would mean more fan merchandise regarding him, so I'm going to cry if this has a negative effect on that. ;;

On a side note, does it specify when those feelings were present? Are they referring to now, as in the time of the game? Or was it some puppy crush that we can wave aside?

It sounds like something IS would do, but I sure hope it's fake. Hmm, but if it is true and had such a negative effect on Leo's popularity, why did he rank so high in the polls?

Edited by Sir FreddyBear

It sounds like something IS would do, but I sure hope it's fake. Hmm, but if it is true and had such a negative effect on Leo's popularity, why did he rank so high in the polls?

Because the poll was one month ago, and the book has just been released for a few days.

Edited by Ryo

This here is probably what people are referencing. I'd just scroll down the blog, because the info's a lil scattered. It's not a translator I really know, but I'm sure some of you guys can vouch for him/her.

Eh, if it's true, it's not exactly out of nowhere, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised. As it is, I think I might just wait around for the page itself before deciding anything.

Edit: As for the overall affect on Leon's popularity... the book hasn't even been out that long, right? I guess it could be a detrimental thing, but it feels a lil hard to judge, now. As long as Camilla's character doesn't get unjustly slammed though, I don't really care, honestly.

Edited by blinkingbrave

Kind of disappointing that the "Making of Fire Emblem" is apparently focused on the two most recent entries that we already knew quite a bit about as opposed to, say, BS Fire Emblem, Gaiden, etc. Is there any comments or information about the Kaga-era of Fire Emblem?

According to the second person, it's suggested that IS followed Kibayashi's draft for Fire Emblem if for the most part.

[spoiler=Even weird stuff like]Slime Garon was Kibayashi's idea.

This comment seems rather odd if true since Kibayashi mentioned his draft went through various members at Intelligent Systems before it went into the game. Will wait for scans to come, of course but if this is true, it sounds like no one wants to take credit for the story. Given what i'm hearing about Leon and Soleil('s support conversation), it sounds like the localization team has quite the workload.

Edited by CazTGG

Because the poll was one month ago, and the book has just been released for a few days.

Ugh, of course. That was dumb of me... My only defence for not thinking further is that I'm a bit tired.

What kind of things are they saying about him, I wonder. I guess it's good for Leo that this book didn't come out before the last poll. If it's actually true, that is.

Edited by Sir FreddyBear

On a side note, does it specify when those feelings were present? Are they referring to now, as in the time of the game? Or was it some puppy crush that we can wave aside?

Ah, I can answer this, too. According to the translator I linked in my earlier post, she used the present tense... so at the start of the game. I guess whether or not they continue beyond is up to your interpretation. Sounds like more than puppy love to me, but I dunno enough about his supports to speculate on whether he's got some S-supports that sound like he's... settling, the way you can read a few of Marx's.

I'm just waiting around for Marx, Camilla, Sakura, and Hinoka's sheets to surface. Aqua's (and Kamui's if s/he has one) seems like it'll be interesting, too.

Edited by blinkingbrave

I just find it amusing because Leon's taking on Lachesis's legacy

I'm betting on the years of concubine wars in his early years caused the westermark effect to, well, not take effect, but the poor kid clearly knows it's wrong and that's why he has such an affixation with shame etc

Interesting character analysis comes out of this shit, man

if anything I'm more impressed how well it all comes together

I'm betting on the years of concubine wars in his early years caused the westermark effect to, well, not take effect, but the poor kid clearly knows it's wrong and that's why he has such an affixation with shame etc

That's what I thought about too. The concubine wars did happen when Leon was young and there was some isolation so I can most definitely see the westermark effect not take effect.

Edited by Frelia

Ah, I can answer this, too. According to the translator I linked in my earlier post, she used the present tense... so at the start of the game. I guess whether or not they continue beyond is up to your interpretation. Sounds like more than puppy love to me, but I dunno enough about his supports to speculate on whether he's got some S-supports that sound like he's... settling, the way you can read a few of Marx's.

I'm just waiting around for Marx, Camilla, Sakura, and Hinoka's sheets to surface. Aqua's (and Kamui's if s/he has one) seems like it'll be interesting, too.

Ah, I see... I'm kind of sad to hear that he settles in a lot of his supports. I don't take issue with unrequited feelings, per se, but they shouldn't be made that it interferes with the other S supports...

For instance, I heard Oboro doesn't "settle," except with Hinata. Kind of like that?

Because when I hear that Leo's settling, it doesn't sound like he's only resigning himself, but like he's using the other person. "Ah, I must not love Camilla... therefore, I shall cover up my emotions by taking you as my spouse. Hence, I shall not have to deal with these feelings of shame anymore."

It seems really unfair to the other party.

I hope the other information that comes out of this book doesn't leave me feeling so conflicted over everything, lmao.

Ah, I see... I'm kind of sad to hear that he settles in a lot of his supports. I don't take issue with unrequited feelings, per se, but they shouldn't be made that it interferes with the other S supports...

For instance, I heard Oboro doesn't "settle," except with Hinata. Kind of like that?

Because when I hear that Leo's settling, it doesn't sound like he's only resigning himself, but like he's using the other person. "Ah, I must not love Camilla... therefore, I shall cover up my emotions by taking you as my spouse. Hence, I shall not have to deal with these feelings of shame anymore."

It seems really unfair to the other party.

I hope the other information that comes out of this book doesn't leave me feeling so conflicted over everything, lmao.

Yeah... It can't possibly be as bad as Cordelia, so at least there's that.

I don't know enough about his S-supports, but I'd imagine, like Oboro and Marx, he's probably still got plenty of good ones to latch on to.

I think it's an interesting dynamic (particularly when paired with his Kamui issues)... but kinda crummy in a game with marriage based mechanics. Since it's not strictly necessary for his relationship with Camilla to be an unrequited romance for the purpose of the plot, I wouldn't be too surprised if localization just cuts it out. Or at least tones down his Camilla support to bury it even further under subtext.

愛する姉。家族以上の気持ちで愛しているが、その心は隠さなければならない

Yep, present tense. And arguably continuous.

Yeah... It can't possibly be as bad as Cordelia, so at least there's that.

It depends on your context of "worse". Do you consider it worse that Cordelia settles in almost all of her supports, or is it way more egregious that Oboro settles in this one support with this one guy whom she's close to when none of her other supports show any sign of it?

Anyway, I don't quite get the outrage about Leon. It's not like he can S-support Camilla, crush or no crush. Personally, I'm just too tired to care anymore.