The Making of Fire Emblem - Fates Information

Mox

With the way things are going FE15 has a chance to have more fun and games including more incest, more skinship, and more messy stories. :p

I dunno about that. I think that the backlash they've experienced towards this game will have taught them a lesson and they'll actually try to fix their mistakes in the next game. At the very least, it won't be as bad as this one.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno about that. I think that the backlash they've experienced towards this game will have taught them a lesson and they'll actually try to fix their mistakes in the next game. At the very least, it won't be as bad as this one.

How many people said the same thing after Awakening?

It's a slippery slope.

How many people said the same thing after Awakening?

It's a slippery slope.

True, but we have to remember that Awakening more or less saved the entire franchise. In my opinion, the problem is that IS genuinely wanted to have a more serious and morally complex story like the older FE games, but they also didn't want to alienate the people Awakening introduced to the franchise by removing the whole waifu/husbando aspect of the new support system. I'm not saying that mixing the two is impossible, but the way they tried to go about it just didn't work.

Honestly, Leon having feelings for Camilla which he acknowledges to be rather shameful, is very interesting for his character. And for once, we have something not Kamuicentric. Also, this thing about Leon may end up being almost non-existent in the localized version. The only time you catch even a breath of this, is in his supports with Camilla, or something. Its not exactly in the main script. So..likely it wont really be a thing.

I think i know what IS was trying to do. Stories like A Song Of Ice And Fire are very highly popular right now. I think they wanted to try to cash in on that kind of bandwagon. ASOIAF has hella incest in it, but most of it is political and causes wars. It makes for some soap opera-like fiction where secrets get uncovered and junk. And then you have Targaryens who did it openly. The problem? IS didnt include the actual meat of the potential story and the reasoning behind it. Plus, wanting Kamui to have all the options, so it got cheapened in the process. It just looks to me like Fates was an attempt at edgy medieval fiction that got too wrapped up in making everyone happy.

Uh, Valkyrie's having a 'cesty crush on their older sibling goes back to the days of Camus (FE4/5, FE6/7 having the most blatant characters for the FE trope), just this time it's a lil' bro crushing on big sis. The game series were doing it WAY BEFORE aSoIaF, and honestly since Leon considers it shameful and keeps it a secret it ain't nothing compared to the psuedo-incest Kamui gets.

Also to all of you talking about Westermark Effect, I'd like to introduce another psycosexual factor GSA. Though this one applies more to Alvis/Deirdre than Leo and Camilla, especially since without this flavor blurb in the designer's notes the siscon element to the character would've been more of a joke than serious character analyzation.

Edit: Also not surprised the books mostly the two recent games. Look forward to seeing the rest of the royal sibling pages translated.

Edited by Damosel

Uh, Valkyrie's having a 'cesty crush on their older sibling goes back to the days of Camus (FE4/5, FE6/7 having the most blatant characters for the FE trope), just this time it's a lil' bro crushing on big sis. The game series were doing it WAY BEFORE aSoIaF, and honestly since Leon considers it shameful and keeps it a secret it ain't nothing compared to the psuedo-incest Kamui gets.

Also to all of you talking about Westermark Effect, I'd like to introduce another psycosexual factor GSA. Though this one applies more to Alvis/Deirdre than Leo and Camilla, especially since without this flavor blurb in the designer's notes the siscon element to the character would've been more of a joke than serious character analyzation.

Edit: Also not surprised the books mostly the two recent games. Look forward to seeing the rest of the royal sibling pages translated.

Ehhh, those games didnt have a politically charged backstory that could really justify such a crush. (the FE4 thing was forced) The Concubine Wars in Nohr reek of an attempt at political intrigue that could leave those kinds of marks. (also ASOIAF existed in the 90s.) My point, is these kinds of stories are hugely popular right now, so its not out of the realm of possibility that IS is trying to cash in on it.

Ehhh, those games didnt have a politically charged backstory that could really justify such a crush. (the FE4 thing was forced) The Concubine Wars in Nohr reek of an attempt at political intrigue that could leave those kinds of marks. (also ASOIAF existed in the 90s.) My point, is these kinds of stories are hugely popular right now, so its not out of the realm of possibility that IS is trying to cash in on it.

aSoFaI wasn't translated to Japanese until 2002, well after Kaga implimented the trope. I mostly was trying to show it's nothing new to the FE series, thus why I doubted current popular literature was to blame.

Heh, FE4's funny because it almost directly alludes to the relationship of to the nibelungen- with Manfroy taking Grimhild's role in having a "potion" of forgetfulness, Deirdre taking myth!Sigurd's role since she's fed it, and Alvis equating to Gudrun, and Sigurd as a very clueless Brynhild. Though they don't stick to these roles per se, since it's Alvis who does the burning and murdering rather than Sigurd. Despite Fates using these characters names there's nothing else that alludes to the mythology. I suppose that's not as modernly political as JRRMartin but Jugdral at least commited to the theme of bloodlines and generational fueds instead of glossing over it.

And I never meant to imply Alvis/Deirdre was in the Valkyrie trope category- since they'd never seen each other/know each other had exsisted without Manfroy's puppeting. I mostly was to toss about GSA as a thing that esists well outside any court intrigue situations.

Edited by Damosel

Have it been confirmed, clarified or disproved any previously discussed tidbits or learned anything new about the contents of the book? I'm curious to hear what it says about Gaiden and Path of Radiance.

Edited by CazTGG

Oh shiiit, i remember that. You know, didnt that become PoR though?

I think they just used FE 64's engine for POR, and the original story was reused for BB.

if the theory is true

Edited by Captain Karnage

I read on SF that FE N64 was originally going to be another Archanea game, with the story revolving around Camus and Michalis. I wished they had made it after reading that piece of info.

Edit: typo.

Edited by RidellCrimea

I read on SF that FE N64 was originally going to be another Archanea game, with the story revolving around Camus and Michalis. I wished they had made it after reading that piece of info.

Edit: typo.

...Where exactly did you read that on SF? SF's page on FE64 mentions nothing being known about the game.

Honestly, Leon having feelings for Camilla which he acknowledges to be rather shameful, is very interesting for his character. And for once, we have something not Kamuicentric. Also, this thing about Leon may end up being almost non-existent in the localized version. The only time you catch even a breath of this, is in his supports with Camilla, or something. Its not exactly in the main script. So..likely it wont really be a thing.

Wait, What?!? I haven't been keeping up, but I wasn't expecting this when I clicked on this topic. When did this happen? Is this something that was revealed in this book?

Wait, What?!? I haven't been keeping up, but I wasn't expecting this when I clicked on this topic. When did this happen? Is this something that was revealed in this book?

Long story short, one tidbit in Leo's section is that his feelings for Camilla are "beyond the familial" (note the present tense). His Japanese fan base blew up. We all seem to be in agreement that it could've been an interesting part of his character to explore, but with all the other pseudo-/actual incest in the story it just comes across as IS having an incest fetish.

He's just talking about BSFE, which is about Camus, and Marth's pals. Unless I misunderstand. Kaga avoided saying he was working on a N64 game, and the Camus game was used with the Broadcast System, or whatever it was called.

EDIT: reading again, Vincent says down the page that Kaga's Archanea plans fell through.

I understand now. So, BSFE doesn't actually line up with what Kaga was talking about.

Edited by L95

Long story short, one tidbit in Leo's section is that his feelings for Camilla are "beyond the familial" (note the present tense). His Japanese fan base blew up. We all seem to be in agreement that it could've been an interesting part of his character to explore, but with all the other pseudo-/actual incest in the story it just comes across as IS having an incest fetish.

and at this point, I think it's happened more than enough times for it to be a coincidence.

Oh Leon... If this ever makes it in the western release...do I even want to know what will happen?

Edited by SilverPants

During the times of Awakening they took away many things that made Fire Emblem what it was. They took away good stories, they took away the challenge, they took the map design, they added the worst kind of DLC practices, they added waifus and with it a strong pandering to blatant hentai fetishes. Even after Fates released in japan, the series still suffers from the scars of such wounds. But there is one thing that has never left Fire Emblem and will never leave because it is, in a way, part of the very essence of the series. It is the only thing left sacred and pure from the times of Kaga, whose person and works can no longer be named: Incest.

Edited by Neofranky

Going by some of the Amazon reviews (currently at 3/5, most common criticism is the small size of the illustrations), it appears that there isn't any new development information on Gaiden, Sacred Stones or Mystery of the Emblem (or BS Fire Emblem) in the 150 pages devoted to the not-3DS entries in the series. Assuming this is true (Google translate can only help so much), that is woefully disgraceful to the series.

Was there any particularly noteworthy information about Fates gained, aside from the...Leo/Camilla thing?

That Camilla's intro cutscene was what single-handedly raised the game to a C15+.

Going by some of the Amazon reviews (currently at 3/5, most common criticism is the small size of the illustrations), it appears that there isn't any new development information on Gaiden, Sacred Stones or Mystery of the Emblem (or BS Fire Emblem) in the 150 pages devoted to the not-3DS entries in the series. Assuming this is true (Google translate can only help so much), that is woefully disgraceful to the series.

Disappointing, but not unexpected.