Lunatic too hard :/

BlazeKing

Since I played Hard mode, I thought of taking on the Lunatic mode challenge but I can't seem to strategerise properly, without a sort of guide from YouTube, I wouldn't have gotten past Prologue-Chapter 3 (Frederick Emblem ftw), any tips on surviving the hell that is Lunatic mode?

Let's see..

I beat Lunatic mode somehow last year, and I found that if you focus experience on just a few characters (like around 6 or so) the game is rather easily "broken".

Avoid skirmishes. If you want to grind and have DLC use that instead. The skirmish battles I find to be much harder than the chapters. But possibly you already know this?

If you aren't doing this already, then check ALL of the enemy's skills before putting a unit in their range. An enemy with the right skills could one shot even your strongest unit, then you'll have to restart, which gets annoying after a while.

Anyways, that's the way I sort of strategized it, I hope this can help you a little!

Edited by wumples

I recently finished my play-through of Lunatic and I haven't got any DLC but I did have maximized renown and used it for infinite money so that I wouldn't have to worry about money and used the money to purchase a Rally Unit from my Logbook (That was the only unit from my logbook that I used in story chapters or paralogues), My play-through abused spotpass, renown and the logbook, considering your play-through has already started, this probably isn't the best advise.

Since I played Hard mode, I thought of taking on the Lunatic mode challenge but I can't seem to strategerise properly, without a sort of guide from YouTube, I wouldn't have gotten past Prologue-Chapter 3 (Frederick Emblem ftw), any tips on surviving the hell that is Lunatic mode?

First off, if you're looking at the "guide" I think you are... It doesn't work. That guide is just a commercial for the DLC, using Fred swiftly makes the rest of the game impossible in nogrind circumstances. You'll need to start over if you've been following it for this long.

The best and easiest way to handle Lunatic is to take a +Def/-Skl Avatar, feed her as much as possible, and give her a Fred support. You're not weak to hammers, can attack at range and will actually grow stronger. You still start off weak, but any of your weapons can OHKO a prologue Barb who's taken a hit from Fred, and the Barbs can't OHKO you so it's relatively safe to train on them.

The prolg is easier than it was supposed to be, because Chrom and the avatar's classes can walk on water. Have chrom dual with lisa and the avatar dual with fredrick. Have them walk out onto the water. There is now exactly one enemy (the elthunder mage) capable of hiting you. Here is a luatic plus guide that might help: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=40300Using only bow units is overkill in lunatic, but the first few chapters play the same (although i will admit that i never got past chapter 3. Lunatic is hard even with a decent guide).

Edited by sirmola

after a few runs on lunatic i found it to be "easier" not saying it was easy even after a few runs but your mind kind shifts gears i guess you can say. now i still struggle on lunatic+ and have only beaten it once. my tip is to go and watch a few playthroughs and look at how people plan/take notes or you can figure it out for yourself its your call.

Avoid skirmishes. If you want to grind and have DLC use that instead. The skirmish battles I find to be much harder than the chapters. But possibly you already know this?

Skirmish are harder than chapters even on Hard. Above Normal difficulty they're not used for grinding, but as a high risk/high reward way of getting strong items since the leader and maybe some other enemies always drop their items and these items are far more powerful than anything you have access to early on. You may not have rank to use them, though.

On Lunatic it's suicide to fight skirmish. They're specifically made to punish players who attempt to grind on them. :D

Hard skirmishes are fun.

The very first Lunatic skirmish that appears is doable, assuming Robin's at a relatively high level and you grab Celica's Gale. After that, it goes from really difficult to not fun.

On Lunatic it's suicide to fight skirmish. They're specifically made to punish players who attempt to grind on them. :D

Or for players for whom Lunatic's level scaling isn't quite high enough. I did a playthrough where I fought and beat every single one that appeared, and while it was fairly difficult I also made some fairly bad long-term planning derps because I wasn't planning on doing it at the start.

I don't recommend it, though. The stat curve is so restrictive that until you start getting endgame level stats and skills, only Robin can keep up, so there's pretty much no short-term strategy to it.

Really? I'm on chapter 13,It seems easy and I'm not having any problems with it ,what I did was Fredrick emblem the first 5 chapters and occasionally kill some with other units,then when you get access to DLC just grind up everyone who your using to lvl 20 and promote them as soon as you get the chance,then you'll be able to one hit KO enemies.

But that's not really the point of it all, is it? If you do that (and I admit I did that in my previous Lunatic playthrough to some extent) you may as well be playing Hard or Normal mode. Grinding really takes a lot of the thought out of Lunatic, a lot of the 'Where is the best to move so I don't get annihilated,' and 'What now?' out of the game. While that part isn't always the most fun part for people, it makes Lunatic seem a little pointless, mm?

Yeah grinding on Lunatic kind of removes the point of playing Lunatic in the first place. All the enemies have on you are stats, and you're taking that away- why not just play Normal instead?

If that's fun for you, then go right ahead. Nobody will mind, enjoyment of the game comes first and foremost. Just keep in mind that it's not representative of the real difficulty and your experiences won't line up with those of others.

It's detrimental to your units. People have proved that you can beat the game without lowmanning, but generally that's the easiest way to go about beating Lunatic. Even if you're not lowmanning though, I'm pretty sure you'd want to have some idea of who your team is going to consist of before you start playing the game.

If you don't want to lowman, you need to have a serious gameplan going in, and try not to feed exp to anyone but the units you're training. Keep the amount of units (children inclusive) to ~6 pairs maximum.

I prefer to just train the lead and make sure that the pairup has enough stats to give like 4-6 in stats I want

On the topic of skirmishes, I managed to do two, maybe three, before they became literally impossible.... Probably not "literally", but they may as well be, unless you have op units really early. And since the only way I can see that happening is from grinding the dlc, it makes the skirmishes after the first few pretty pointless, except for restricting the shops you can go to.

On the topic of exp spreading, I like having an equally levelled team, by which I mean every unit, but there is definitely not enough exp in the game to cater to that play style. Your units will be underlevelled, and, in trying to be balanced, you'd just be shooting yourself in the foot.