What are the specific differences between Normal and Hard AI in Genealogy?

feplus

i don't think i've ever seen it documented in full. hell, i think i've only ever seen one guy talk about it, and even then that was mostly in the form of sharing specific examples from it in the context of a ranked run. maybe he can shed some light on the subject if he sees this, but for now, these observations he posted months ago will have to do

Anyways though, make sure Fin has a Steel Lance, and intentionally get him hurt in the Arena in a way that allows him to drop in Uber Prayer Mode when attacked by one of Elliot's Lance or Axe Knights. That will help make it so that Elliot's men suicide themselves on Fin's lance rather than killing Lachesis's bodyguards (in fact, if you're playing on Hard A.I., Elliot's men are GUARANTEED to do that!).is'll definitely improve.

fe4011.png

I don't know what Normal A.I. does in response to this, but Hard Mode A.I. will cause it's Armor Knights to move in a way that allows Sigurd to pass on through far enough so that Zyne isn't able to reach him. And then Lex aggroes everyone he can safely aggro for the sake of experience.

probably not the most useful information without a broader sample size, but what the hell, it's something

I've played on both and did not notice a difference. Apparently, hard mode AI is both more suicidal and predictable, and is generally easier for planning purposes.

Wait, so FE4 Hard is actually easier?

There's more of a risk of your weakest unit getting mobed, but you have to protect against that anyway.

Like i said, that's only what I've heard from people who switched the AI back in forth in the same situation (which is easy to do, as it is a menu option that can be toggled at any time). I personally noticed no difference.

Well, in the Official Guidebook, Kaga stated that the units under "high commander levels make concentrated attacks", listing Eltoshan as an example for such a commander. So the game should have different AI behaviors for different commanders and concentrated attacks are intended to provide higher difficulty. So I think that it is likely that this is a behavior that changes when switching to hard.

Source:

http://serenesforest.net/general/interviews/holy-war/official-guidebook/

"Therefore, I believe cavalry units are tough enemies. Maybe you won’t be able to feel that against the enemies under low commander levels, but the units under high commander levels make concentrated attacks. For instance, in the first half, Eltshan’s troops are like that. They’ll certainly focus their attacks on one character, so even if they’re only dealing 1 or 2 damage they’ll keep coming, so they’re quite dreadful."

I think this is the difference:

When on Normal, enemies are inclined to spread around attacks; this includes passing over a potentially fatal blow. When on Hard, enemies always attack the weakest unit and will never pass up a potentially fatal blow.

I do not know how AI prioritizes targets, but once a target has been prioritized the Hard AI will focus on that unit. This makes Hard AI both more dangerous and more consistent.

Another possible difference is that, on Hard, enemies guarding castles (the three tiles around the charge point) will move and attack after the boss has been killed. I can't remember if this is true on Normal.

I have observed no other behavioral differences. Keep in mind this is anecdotal and may be inaccurate.

Edited by feplus

Enemies on at least some castles move when you kill the bosses with regular AI, I definately remember the Dark Mages in Chapter 7 nuking Daisy after Shanan killed the boss. I dunno if it's castle dependant though.

I never turn on the option because I honestly don't notice any difference, the enemies still seem to have a hard on for Midir/Ethlin/Holyn regardless of their stats, but perhaps they focus on killing units more I dunno.