Fire Emblem If Character Spotlight: Week #05 ~ Leon

HappyHawlucha

I'll definitely end up using him just because his son is cute.

I plan on running him with rally+aura. Skills would probably be Bind, Devilish Wind, Magic Seal, Battle Command, Rally Resistance.

His reclass path would be Dark Knight>Strategist. That'll help his speed a little and give him more auras. Though it is a shame to lose his sword which would help as an attack stance partner.

Leo has arguably the best 1-2 range in the game by virtue of targeting res compared to Ryo and Marx. Once his speed gets going and his ridiculous magic growth kicks in, he's just amazing. He really likes Felicia/Luna as his waifu and maybe a speedwings but his payoff is huge. It's kinda funny that, like in game lore, he's often overlooked in the shadow of his perfect older siblings. There's all this talk of how gr9mazing Cam and Marx are, but there isn't that much talk of Leo despite him being pretty much as good as they are.

As far as character is concerned, I don't think it needs any explanation. He's the most popular Fates character for good reason. I love how the Nohrian family has serious issues as compared to the Hoshidan family's first world problems.

As far as character is concerned, I don't think it needs any explanation. He's the most popular Fates character for good reason. I love how the Nohrian family has serious issues as compared to the Hoshidan family's first world problems.

When you say First World Problems it sounds really condescending to me. 'First World issues' as in trivial and overblown?

Is Ryouma having to fill in the role of family head and leading his country in a war against a foreign aggressor, trivial?

Is Hinoka being haunted by the loss of a beloved sibling, defying her countries traditional gender roles yet being self-conscious about it, trivial?

Is Takumi dealing with massive self-esteem issues as a result of neglect, having to deal with the high-standards being set for him (by himself and others), not to mention his horrible nightmares, trivial?

Is Sakura's social anxiety and also poor self-esteem trivial?

You know, on top of losing their parents at a young age and dealing with war. Not to mention the stuff they go through in Conquest.

Also, watching their mother figure, Mikoto, die in front of them? It left scars.

Of course you can argue that the Nohr family had it worse, but that doesn't mean the Hoshidans are a bunch of whiny brats. Measuring up pain like it's a contest is stupid. Do you tell a veteran that just lost his leg to a mine, to suck up his first world problems because there is a guy down the hall who lost two? The game might not always portray these issues well or bring them into the foreground, but they still exist and should be taken seriously.

Feel free to prefer the Nohr family to the Broshidos, but don't use such derisive language.

Anyway, concering Leon, I really love him both as a character and a unit. I will enjoy turning him into a magic nuke dispenser.

Leo is really the only sibling I'll marry because I'm attracted to him, instead of completion obligation. Though I will say, I prefer Foleo. If I had to pick between the two, I wouldn't even hesitate..Foleo all the way.

That said, Leo is a cute sibling and since I don't have the game, I have lotsa family HC for himmm. Of course it'll all be proven wrong once the game is out, but whatever! I had fun.

He's not my number one favorite character, but he's one of my favorites. Bonus points for having Foleo and the only unique Dark Knight model.

As for gameplay...his only real problem is speed, right? So will Speed tonics and Speedwings make him an extremely reliable unit? Also, any (permanent) reclassing, or is he fine as a Dark Knight?

When you say First World Problems it sounds really condescending to me. 'First World issues' as in trivial and overblown?

Is Ryouma having to fill in the role of family head and leading his country in a war against a foreign aggressor, trivial?

Is Hinoka being haunted by the loss of a beloved sibling, defying her countries traditional gender roles yet being self-conscious about it, trivial?

Is Takumi dealing with massive self-esteem issues as a result of neglect, having to deal with the high-standards being set for him (by himself and others), not to mention his horrible nightmares, trivial?

Is Sakura's social anxiety and also poor self-esteem trivial?

You know, on top of losing their parents at a young age and dealing with war. Not to mention the stuff they go through in Conquest.

Also, watching their mother figure, Mikoto, die in front of them? It left scars.

Of course you can argue that the Nohr family had it worse, but that doesn't mean the Hoshidans are a bunch of whiny brats. Measuring up pain like it's a contest is stupid. Do you tell a veteran that just lost his leg to a mine, to suck up his first world problems because there is a guy down the hall who lost two? The game might not always portray these issues well or bring them into the foreground, but they still exist and should be taken seriously.

Feel free to prefer the Nohr family to the Broshidos, but don't use such derisive language.

Anyway, concering Leon, I really love him both as a character and a unit. I will enjoy turning him into a magic nuke dispenser.

Jesus keep your pants on it was a joke.

It's not a very good one when the Hoshido fandom already feels like the a lot of people in the Nohr fandom, which already the majority anyway, is out to get them, what with every other expression of liking Nohr (which is fine) is often followed with some shit that puts Hoshido down.

But this is about Leon. Leon's a very interesting character, and despite the "scandal" surrounding his recent developments I find it actually impressively well-put together and served to make his character more interesting. I can't say much about him in gameplay since I don't have the game, unfortunately (FEB 19 PLS COME) but I'm sure with his prf tome he's a powerhouse regardless.

Someone (Takumi) should probably just bring this poor kid soup, or something

But this is about Leon. Leon's a very interesting character, and despite the "scandal" surrounding his recent developments I find it actually impressively well-put together and served to make his character more interesting. I can't say much about him in gameplay since I don't have the game, unfortunately (FEB 19 PLS COME) but I'm sure with his prf tome he's a powerhouse regardless.

It's a shame none of this is touched on in-game; then again, actually treating things seriously is not the game's forte.

It's a shame none of this is touched on in-game; then again, actually treating things seriously is not the game's forte.

I guess what's happening is they're trying to keep the in-game content more on the down low since, considering the reactions it's getting, may not be very good for sales, so it's mostly subtext, but they wrote him with that fully in mind considering how well it's put together and makes sense to his characterization as a whole.

I think it'd be definitely more interesting to have it explored more fully and seriously, but such is FE, I guess.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Pretty great at start, and arguably your best default magic user in Nohr. Basically Nyx on a horse with well balanced stats and a greater personal skill and personal tome. Even then, I never found him particularly ground breaking. As a sorcerer he's a glass cannon, as a Dark Knight he's a bit slow, especially with end game enemies taken into account. As said before, Felicia is generally his best option for a wife for a sweet magic/speed boost early on. I'd probably make him a Strategist.

No good procs which is a bummer, but generally his great bases and high magic will still be useful no matter what. I didn't find his tome that great outside of high hit and good might, unlike Takumi's. He should be used regardless because he's pretty great no matter what and doesn't cost real investment for low pay like Odin.

I heard that Leo's actually one of the characters treated well by the story, in that in Conquest he's made out to be a pragmatic character that often slaps Kamui back into reality, whereas in Birthright he's an intriguing, multifaceted antagonist. Now, I don't know how much of that is accurate, but if it's true, I'll have at least one thing to look forward to in the story.

But aside from that, I'm honestly really surprised by how... detailed and consistently Leo is written. For instance:

I guess what's happening is they're trying to keep the in-game content more on the down low since, considering the reactions it's getting, may not be very good for sales, so it's mostly subtext, but they wrote him with that fully in mind considering how well it's put together and makes sense to his characterization as a whole.

I think it'd be definitely more interesting to have it explored more fully and seriously, but such is FE, I guess.

I mean, his crush on Camilla isn't even mentioned in the story, yet there's just so much in his attitude that support the notion. And that consistency surprises me, because while Leo's incestuous feelings are bound to have real effects on him as a person, it's really not anything of import to the developers. They're not going to explore it in the story or supports (unlike, say, Oboro's crush; don't get me wrong, I know Oboro has more to her than that, but it is something the game actually mentions); it's simply a minor detail (that fans can easily ignore). I mean, I guess that's generally what you should expect from writing, but a lot of characters in Fates suffer from inconsistency in characterization that this just surprises me.

Not to mention that someone on Tumblr pointed out that there's a game model of Leo wearing his robes inside out. Like... honestly, that detail.

Let's hope that Leo's popularity convinces them to spend more time lovingly developing their characters. I think I'd rather have a small cast of fully fleshed out characters than a large cast of one-trick ponies and stereotypes.

Still, I can't wait to see how he comes out when he's localized. Like I said, he's the only sibling I'm willingly marrying. Everyone else is just for support log purposes.