Changing Class and Editing Battle Sprite.

Seo

Hello there !

So I've finally managed to load my character's portrait into FE8 and I choosed to replace Seth with it.

Now, I would like to know how I'm supposed to change his class ? I was wanting to make my character a fighter, so that would be great if I could not stay as Paladin for ever xD.

And also, how do you exactly edit the sprites of the character in battle sequence ? I need to do it in order to have the color match with the sprite.

Thanks for helping me !

Edit : Solved the Class Change problem by myself by using an elder version of Nightmare.

Edited by Seo

Battle Sprite Palettes (Colours) are usually completely separate from the class itself. You edit the battle palettes so that they work with the class. So each character has their own battle palette.

And also, I know you said you solved the class problem, but it actually doesn't matter what class you made them in nightmare. You can change that in events with the event assembler. I'm assuming you haven't reached that stage yet have you?

As far as creating battle sprite, others can probably help you with further details as I'm not an expert in that field. I'm not the most resourceful person here so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will swing by and give you a lift.

Well, thanks for helping me to begin with aaand...

Nope ! I didn't touch the event assembler.

Basically, what I'm doing is : I try to figure out how to really make MY character enter the game because I'm on a project with some friends of mine, we try to hack FE8 to put our characters in it, sounds like fun. ^^

So my goals were :

First : Create my character's sprite and load it with FEditor : DONE.

Second : Replace a character with it to see if it works : DONE.

Third : Change this character's class with the class I wanted to be : DONE.

What I want to do now is indeed as you said, change the battle sprite palette of my Fighter character.

I understand that they're completely separated from the class itself since otherwise every character would have the same palette, but what I want to know is how to edit one character's battle palette. I saw that as a fighter, I got a generic battle palette but I don't know where to edit it.

I'll wait for experts that know this domain better than me though, thanks anyway ^^.

As far as I know you need a program abbreviated to APE which stands for Advanced Palette Editor (?) I'm not exactly certain that is the name but I'm almost completely sure that's what it is. Then you need to open the battle palette editor in Nightmare to find the offset that the palette is of an existing character is and paste it to APE (Subtract 08000000 and make sure it's L2 something something compressed, just check that box). And then you can adjust the colours to your preference. Again, not a huge expert in palette colour editing as I have hardly done any of that. I more so have just inserted palettes and stuff that already existed. But yeah just follow those instructions (if they make sense) and it should work. I'm sorry it's late and I don't think I could give an amazing explanation if I tried.