Serenes Forest Scribbles - The results are in, check out the winners in the Scribbles section!

Tangerine

I also believe that this is where 'no inflation votes' would fall under? The idea that you can't make 100 accounts to vote for your entry or asking your friends to make accounts just so they can vote for yours wouldn't be allowed.

Alt accounts are not allowed on SF, and will be banned as soon as the mods catch wind of it.

I'm also partial to banning the offender from SF and throwing out their entry/votes, but I'm not the one with the final say on this (Tangerine needs to weigh in).

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to really control anonymous entries because participants will find a way to say which entry belongs to them and secretly tell people to vote for them. Especially if some participants are really proud of what they made, it can be hard for them to keep quiet about their entries (or maybe that's just me because I'm almost done mine and posted a WIP of it on my art thread and I'm super proud of how it's turning out).

This is might be a silly question but, for the people who submit their works, are we aloud to vote?

Of course! Just don't vote for your own entry :P:.

Can former mods join? ;w; I should have asked that way before I started. XD

Absolutely. At least one of our own staff members has already submitted something, and another is working on their submission still. There are no unfair advantages to be gained, so you're in the clear!

Ugh, I started my entry for the SF Scribbles thing … but being busy in life is kind of killing it. With another week left though, I'll have to try harder to give a fuck.

Good luck! Looking forward to what you submit, if you manage to get something done in time.

Hello :3 I've been a lurker for a long time and made an account just to enter this event. Seems like a lot of fun. ^^

I just have a quick question though. How can you be sure the votes would be fair? I saw that it'll be community based voting but wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose if there were people that would vote for their friends' submissions just for that fact? It probably can't be changed by now but I do think it would be better if mods were partial to judging to to decrease the amount of (possible) bias. ^^; Just my two cents.

//floats away

Hi, welcome to SF! You're definitely not alone, our member registrations doubled the few days following the announcement of the event. I've had a lot of members tell me that it's what encouraged them to sign up. I hope all of you find the site and forum to your liking and decide to stick around :P:!

I think that that could happen no matter how we handle the voting. Lenh and I have discussed it a fair bit, and we're pretty confident the community will be honest and respectful. If they aren't, and my staff catches someone, everyone involved in the vote inflating will punished. There won't be leniency for people attempting to mess up the event for everybody, trust me! Voting will not be anonymous, so it would be very simple for us to catch someone trying to cheat or lobby friends for votes.

Again, I really don't expect it will come to that, but if we do suspect some sort of misbehaving in the voting phase, we'll handle it at the level we feel appropriate. Which could include anything from a re-vote to something more extreme. Our goal is to preserve the community aspect of the event.

Alt accounts are not allowed on SF, and will be banned as soon as the mods catch wind of it.

I'm also partial to banning the offender from SF and throwing out their entry/votes, but I'm not the one with the final say on this (Tangerine needs to weigh in).

Anyone who makes alts to vote in the event will be banned.

It's hard to really control anonymous entries because participants will find a way to say which entry belongs to them and secretly tell people to vote for them. Especially if some participants are really proud of what they made, it can be hard for them to keep quiet about their entries (or maybe that's just me because I'm almost done mine and posted a WIP of it on my art thread and I'm super proud of how it's turning out).

Yup, that's precisely why I allowed people to share them from the start. It's more fun for everybody that way, and it's not like we could've prevented it without seriously overstepping our boundaries.

Edited by Tangerine

I'm probably going to redo my submission...maybe.. (I've lost count how many times I've redone it...Sorry bout that Tangerine lol.)

Edited by Jin

Eventually decided on music and currently have about 2 min., 15 seconds of the final product done. Writing this note by note is turning out to be difficult, but it should sound nice by the time I finish. . . . Hopefully. Thinking I'm probably 80% done. If I give it an hour each day for the next few days, maybe I can finish by Friday, just enough time to have some wiggle room.

Wish I could do music :P, I ended up just drawing a bunch of swords.

Of course! Just don't vote for your own entry :P:.

Oh, you have my word. I'm about 85% done with my entry and I'm shooting for on or before the 30th for when I actually submit it. So this way, I can fix it and finalize it before I actually submit it.

I don't know if this already answered or not--maybe I miss something?

If we submit art/picture, are we free to decide the proportion of canvas (be it vertical or horizontal). And are we allowed to submit heavy vertically/horizontally canvas (like 2000px width x 700px height)? Sorry for the bother :')

Hello everyone!

I was working on a short story to submit and was wondering where I would go to find an editor to look over the writing before I submitted it. Should I ask here, since it's for the competition, or somewhere else? Just curious!

Also, am I pasting the words into the message box for this website? Or are we using Google docs?

You can do it on Google Docs but I had to PM Tangerine with a link to the story itself (don't forget to make it public and not private because Tangerine doesn't seems to have an account and she can't see it without make it public).

As for an editor, I think eclipse could help you if you ask her (even if she's a mod and not an editor) but if you want an actual editor, you can ask Elieson.

Edited by Nym

You can do it on Google Docs but I had to PM Tangerine with a link to the story itself (don't forget to make it public and not private because Tangerine doesn't seems to have an account ans she can't see without make it public).

As for an editor, I think eclipse could help you if you ask her (even if she's a mod and not an editor) but if you want an actual editor, you can ask Elieson.

Thank you! I'll try sending them a message. I'll definitely use Google docs. Hopefully that doesn't cause any problems. :3

Thank you! I'll try sending them a message. I'll definitely use Google docs. Hopefully that doesn't cause any problems. :3

I used Google docs myself, as long that you give the link to Tangerine and you don't forget to make it public (like I did...), there will be no problems.

I'm sure Tangerine will give you additionals details anyway (since she posts here often).

Edited by Nym

Tangerine, did you get my resubmission? It's crunch time, so I know you're probably getting a lot of new submissions now, but I'm just trying to make sure...

Yup.

I might try to join this... but it's only about a week until the deadline. :( Let's see if I can make it...

Good luck!

I'm probably going to redo my submission...maybe.. (I've lost count how many times I've redone it...Sorry bout that Tangerine lol.)

It's no problem lol. Change/re-do your submission as many times as you want before the deadline, says you're free to in the first post!

I don't know if this already answered or not--maybe I miss something?

If we submit art/picture, are we free to decide the proportion of canvas (be it vertical or horizontal). And are we allowed to submit heavy vertically/horizontally canvas (like 2000px width x 700px height)? Sorry for the bother :')

You're free to do whatever you like with your submission, as long as it doesn't break the event rules or the relevant Code of Conduct rules.

Hello everyone!

I was working on a short story to submit and was wondering where I would go to find an editor to look over the writing before I submitted it. Should I ask here, since it's for the competition, or somewhere else? Just curious!

Also, am I pasting the words into the message box for this website? Or are we using Google docs?

Google docs is fine, but you can even just paste it into a PM if you'd rather do it that way. I have a (currently) hidden forum section made for the event that I'll use to display all of the submissions more neatly, so I can work around whatever submission method you decide to use.

Couldn't say, we've never done an event like this to know how voters will vote or whether or not people will skip over entries that are long. It's certainly possible for a song to drag on for too long, but it's also possible for that to completely fit the track.

- If your only goal or purpose for entering the event is to win, then maybe something shorter would increase the appeal of your submission to less patient voters who wouldn't want to sit through it for 15 minutes (pure speculation to begin with).

- If your reason for entering is to make something to show people, have fun doing it, get some special badges and maybe win some prizes along the way, submit whatever you envisioned the way you envisioned it and have fun in the process.

You don't need to walk away with a first place prize to have some fun! My main motivation for the event was to give the creative talent in our community something fun they can do together, as well as a stage they might not otherwise have access to to show off their skills.

-My- personal advice would be to shorten it only if you feel that that would be an improvement from your own point of view. Make it the way you feel is best without worrying about what other people might think; chances are the people who take the time to listen to it will like it more if you're happy with the finished product, regardless of how many votes it receives. But that's coming from someone not entering the event, so if winning a certain prize is super important to you, then it's up to you whether or not you base your decisions on what you feel would be the most attractive to general voters :P:.

Either way, good luck!

Edited by Tangerine

Oh crap...time's almost up and I've been procrastinating (...and kinda busy due to life) too long! I'm gonna have to kick things into overdrive in order to finish my drawing! I need to finish by the 30'th so I have time to make possible changes (and to make sure my entry makes it in on time because I like to be sure).

I had some free times so I looked at my story.

And then, I realize I made a few errors... resubmission time!

Edited by Nym

Most people have submitted short stories in the 2000-5000 word range.

Hm. Mine is closer to 6,000. I'll tweak it a bit, but I like it so it may just end up being the longest. Probably won't help me win, but at least I'll be happy with it. :p