Serenes Forest Scribbles - The results are in, check out the winners in the Scribbles section!

Tangerine

I'll be the contrary opinion and say that the writing side has a lot of really good stories. . .and I'm not even halfway through them! The stuff in miscellaneous is impressive, as well. I'm really picky about what I like in my drawings, though. . .

Would respectfully disagree, as while WW has amazing content it's difficult to compete with visual arts. A picture is worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to get an initial look at all of the non-music entries so far. For those of you who wrote a really long story, apologies because I most definitely skimmed over it on my first run-through of everything. I'm going to try to give everyone's entry a fair look before voting, but if for whatever reason I can't seem to get through everyone's entries in a manner I feel is fair then I'll refrain from voting out of fairness.

The "Write Your Butt Off" writing competition I started last year doesn't allow voting for oneself, and I think that voting for oneself should be discouraged if not outright disallowed here. I assume everyone would throw one vote for themselves anyway, so it really feels like there's no point in doing so.

Wrong subforum, but by all means.

I'd agree with disallowing self voting, because in fringe cases where someone's position could be determined by one vote, if one person, out of decency, or naivete, or whatever you would call it, doesn't vote for themself, they would be unfairly penalized.

I'm not sure how that could be enforced if voting's a private ballot, though I'd guess mods would be able to see the votes in that case.

##Vote: eclipse

Oh, wait. . . :P:

I second the motion to disallow self-voting, because it seems. . .tacky.

​clipsey this isn't mafia -- and isn't self-voting in mafia bad anyway :P:

I think that for a voter who's trying to get through every single entry before voting is going to have quite a hassle with the stories. May I suggest two weeks minimum to get through all the stories? They all tend to blend together if you read one after the other, and the longer ones may require more time to get through fully.

Oh hey, I see some new badges under the SFS 2015 badge section! I tried to test one out, but it doesn't seem to be displaying. I guess it's not supposed to display yet?

Haha, you'll be able to use those in a bit, once I get things sorted out!

All right, sounds great! I'm just being impatient as I tend to be, I guess! :P:

Would respectfully disagree, as while WW has amazing content it's difficult to compete with visual arts. A picture is worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes.

But many of these stories have more than a thousand words!

All 135 + 2 of our participants should have their new forum badges available now. Check the badge selection options in your profile to confirm!

The +2 are Jin and Specta. Jin completed his submission, unfortunately his parents didn't want him entering a contest where an address would be required were he to win one of the physical prizes, but I decided to give him the participant badges as he did submit an entry to me. Specta was given access to the badges because working with me on one of the prizes prevented her from entering the event herself, and I'm thankful she chose to help out even though it meant she wouldn't have the time to participate!

Enjoy! Thanks for all of the amazing submissions, you guys made the event something great :P:.

Edit: Also, next year I'm almost certain we'll be splitting the categories. I'll make sure we prepare enough prizes to be able to do so. We weren't sure we'd be able to pull enough people to warrant it, but it's pretty obvious that we can now, and so I'm hopeful that there won't be as many worries about how the different mediums stack up against one another.

Edited by Tangerine

The badges are great. I'm going to hold off on switching over to them, just yet.

Also good to hear the categories will be split for next year. That actually should encourage more entries, as there were probably people who felt discouraged due to such a lack of division.

But many of these stories have more than a thousand words!

This is true, but the other advantage is that pictures are more quickly and easily 'digestible' than the equivalent number of words. This is the case even with poetry, where the number of words is usually limited for that reason. In that sense large WC works against the written word, and it may be why Writes has significantly fewer comments and views.

That being said, I wouldn't mind the community proving my line of thought completely wrong by seeing some written works place in top 10, or even top 20.

All 135 + 2 of our participants should have their new forum badges available now. Check the badge selection options in your profile to confirm!

The +2 are Jin and Specta. Jin completed his submission, unfortunately his parents didn't want him entering a contest where an address would be required were he to win one of the physical prizes, but I decided to give him the participant badges as he did submit an entry to me. Specta was given access to the badges because working with me on one of the prizes prevented her from entering the event herself, and I'm thankful she chose to help out even though it meant she wouldn't have the time to participate!

Enjoy! Thanks for all of the amazing submissions, you guys made the event something great :P:.

Edit: Also, next year I'm almost certain we'll be splitting the categories. I'll make sure we prepare enough prizes to be able to do so. We weren't sure we'd be able to pull enough people to warrant it, but it's pretty obvious that we can now, and so I'm hopeful that there won't be as many worries about how the different mediums stack up against one another.

In the case of multiple categories, can the same user then enter into more than one category? Not that I'd be doing so myself, just casually wondering.

If I had one complaint about the badges, it's that there's no special Lyn badge! You...you monsters!

Kidding, kidding! Although a special Lyn badge would have been amazing.

Anyway! I'm ashamed to say that I don't know who the other characters with Marth are in his special badge. I can't place them. Help?

If I had one complaint about the badges, it's that there's no special Lyn badge! You...you monsters!

Kidding, kidding! Although a special Lyn badge would have been amazing.

Anyway! I'm ashamed to say that I don't know who the other characters with Marth are in his special badge. I can't place them. Help?

Who cares! It's animated. ANIMATED. Already it's better than any other badge conceivable.

(I joke, I'd like to know who they are too).