Serenes Forest Scribbles - The results are in, check out the winners in the Scribbles section!

Tangerine

It's fine to make a crossover as long as the FE in it is recognizable.

It's not okay to use anything from another artist's work directly. Referencing it visually is fine, taking a part of something they made and using it in your submission is not. You need to make 100% of what you submit, outside of very specific circumstances (a song cover for example).

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We finally got the one month notice up... a week late, and with a badge tease packaged in! But better late than never, lol. More Fates/other FE news to deal with than we expected.

But yeah, 24 days left before submissions close! We already have around 20 submissions, I'm expecting some more great ones in the final days. Good luck guys :P:!

Edited by Tangerine

I reeeally want to make an FE related JRPG, cause thats all i can make at this point, but i need more than a month to gather resources and to make it look "good." I may to just stick with my original submission, unfortunately...

Lack of resources seem to be my problem here, as i have tons of ideas, but no way to do them............ bummer.

Just saw the update that you'll be providing a PAL copy of Fates if the winner is from one of those regions, thanks for that! It's nice seeing the prize be more equal now, many giveaways/competitions don't always have the means to do so.

I have a question, can a piece of work to do with Illusory Revelations#FE be submitted? Or is that not deemed close enough to Fire Emblem? I'll likely not enter one of that theme, but I was curious.

Haha, it's sort of difficult, but I'm glad we managed to. I'd been looking for someone to get us a PAL copy if necessary before even announcing the event, but had no luck. I completely forgot that Vincent himself lived in the UK and he agreed instantly lol. It saves us a lot of money to not have to import, and we've already put a fair amount into the event, so getting someone from each region is a lot better for us. If you win the competition and you're in the PAL region, definitely send Vincent some thanks :P:.

Yeah, it's still an FE title!

Edited by Tangerine

I realize that there is a disadvantage to submitting written stories, especially particularly lengthy ones. As what I plan on submitting is part of a larger project I've been working on for some time, it's pretty obvious that I'll need to either cut some parts out and find a way to summarize it accurately without it looking too jumbled and broken or pull an excerpt from it and hope that the excerpt provides enough context in order for it to make sense in regards to the thing as a whole.

So to my question: How long would be considered too long, word count wise?

I've finally figured out how I want to shorten my story. The events are still clear and organized, and although I've had to cut part of it out in order to keep the word count down, there's still a recognizable conclusion despite it technically not being the end of the story. However, my dilemma is, given that the format is only written, I'm having concerns over how to present it. With all that's going on, it's turning out to be very dialogue heavy and I worry that there is going to be a major imbalance between story and dialogue or that the dialogue's flow will seem confusing or overbearing.

My question then: Yay or nay to a ton of dialogue? If it got the point across and was presented neatly enough, would it be acceptable to have a ton of talking going on? Alternatively, if I used a Fire Emblem text simulator and threw all the dialogue on there instead, would that suffice? I know that option might seem plain in comparison but if I'm unable to present the dialogue neatly in plain text, could I create a video featuring a text simulator as a replacement?

It's fine to make a crossover as long as the FE in it is recognizable.

It's not okay to use anything from another artist's work directly. Referencing it visually is fine, taking a part of something they made and using it in your submission is not. You need to make 100% of what you submit, outside of very specific circumstances (a song cover for example).

in a fanfiction sense, can we use preexisting dialogue from the games, even if the narrative and other things are quite different and written by us? Example: Chrom's dialogue of "There are better places to sleep than on the ground, you know."

I've finally figured out how I want to shorten my story. The events are still clear and organized, and although I've had to cut part of it out in order to keep the word count down, there's still a recognizable conclusion despite it technically not being the end of the story. However, my dilemma is, given that the format is only written, I'm having concerns over how to present it. With all that's going on, it's turning out to be very dialogue heavy and I worry that there is going to be a major imbalance between story and dialogue or that the dialogue's flow will seem confusing or overbearing.

My question then: Yay or nay to a ton of dialogue? If it got the point across and was presented neatly enough, would it be acceptable to have a ton of talking going on? Alternatively, if I used a Fire Emblem text simulator and threw all the dialogue on there instead, would that suffice? I know that option might seem plain in comparison but if I'm unable to present the dialogue neatly in plain text, could I create a video featuring a text simulator as a replacement?

I'm no expert on text simulators, but do the ones for FE not use character portraits to display text?

Either way, that option might not be ideal for viewers/voters. A long story will have a disadvantage no matter what since it will require a time investment for voters, but a long video that is just text might turn them off more.

If you want to do something long with a lot of dialogue then go for it. My suggestion would be to just write and present your story however you feel it is best written and presented. Ultimately it will reflect best on the people who -do- take the time to read it if it's realized as closely to the way you envisioned it as possible :P:. That way you're happy with it too, regardless of how it does in the voting phase, and that's the point of the event!

in a fanfiction sense, can we use preexisting dialogue from the games, even if the narrative and other things are quite different and written by us? Example: Chrom's dialogue of "There are better places to sleep than on the ground, you know."

That should be fine. It comes with the territory; if you're writing about a preexisting plot with preexisting characters, things that happened and things that were said in the source material could come up. We'd be preventing stories from a degree of immersion if we didn't allow that.

The type of thing that I would reject would be if someone submitted a story that was basically an edited script from an existing game. You can use existing plot points and even some existing dialogue, as long as your story is a unique take on the event you're writing about and differentiates itself. If you're mid-way through writing something and you're concerned that it's too close to the source material, then it's probably worth seriously thinking about.

Edited by Tangerine

Music videos are probably going too far into dangerous territory. We're looking at something where you didn't make the music or content being displayed in that case, and it's probably not fair for people submitting in other categories to allow that.

Vocal covers are fine, we've already had one submission like that. The submission in this case is the vocal work, and it can't really be presented without the music, so an exception can be made. Better to allow it be done over a recognizable track than have them use a fan-made one and potentially confuse voters (IE thinking they made the music too).

What do you mean by "musical covers of songs or soundtrack music"? If you mean a remix or remake of an FE song, it's fine, if you mean adding vocals to a song that didn't previously have one, that's fine too.

Edited by Tangerine

Music videos are probably going too far into dangerous territory. We're looking at something where you didn't make the music or content being displayed in that case, and it's probably not fair for people submitting in other categories to allow that.

Vocal covers are fine, we've already had one submission like that. The submission in this case is the vocal work, and it can't really be presented without the music, so an exception can be made. Better to allow it be done over a recognizable track than have them use a fan-made one and potentially confuse voters (IE thinking they made the music too).

What do you mean by "musical covers of songs or soundtrack music"? If you mean a remix or remake of an FE song, it's fine, if you mean adding vocals to a song that didn't previously have one, that's fine too.

By musical covers, I meant where someone plays a cover of a Fire Emblem song on an instrument. Good to know vocal covers are allowed.

I take it fanart is permitted? Is traditional art okay, i.e. hand drawn on paper or canvas etc using paints, pencils and the like?

Edited by phoenixmiko