Balance Tweaks for Lunatic

Topic is self explanatory. My goal is not to achieve perfect balance, nor to make changes for the sake of them, but to respect the intent of the original game and try to make some tweaks so that intent is realised better. Not doing everyone at once obviously.

My Unit - It's difficult to "fix" MU without putting suboptimal builds into "completely unusable" tier. Their growth total is too high for their bases and combined with guaranteed prologue levels (where it's easy to rig consistently good levelups due to the short maps) they're certified to become extremely strong. The only way I can see to make things completely fair for MU is to automatically assign particular bases and growths to specific classes, and that takes a lot of the fun factor out by reducing customisation. As such, the only change I'm going to make is increase base Level by 4. This at least makes their bases more appropriate to their actual level, and it makes their EXP drop off a bit in the prologue once they've gotten some levels.
Luke/Rody/Ryan - They're all good, but not OP, no changes.
Cecille - Increase base Defence and HP by 1, increase base Lance Rank by 20. I get she's meant to be more frail than the others but she comes in at level 3 with -2 Def 1 HP bases compared to the other Seventh Platooners with -1 to +2 Def and 2 HP bases at level 1. That's already putting her behind, but her Defence and HP growths are also notably lower so there's no real need to make the divide so pronounced. It's especially problematic since she has to proc an above average amount of HP/Def to escape OHKO status once Silvers start showing up from P-8 and C1 in Lunatic.

Gordin - Increase base HP Speed and Defence by 1 and increase Bow Rank to C. Gordin is not meant to be better than Ryan, or even equal to him. Ryan is definitely meant to be the superior long term growth unit by a large margin, and Gordin's growths have always kind of sucked in every game he's ever been in. I think the fairest thing to do is to buff his bases a bit so he can be compared a bit more favorably to someone like Draug, especially since they are both meant to be vets from the last war. He might possibly deserve an extra point of Speed but I think that's pushing it.

Draug - A massive beneficiary of the reclassing system, but I don't think he needs to be nerfed, he fits the role of a glass cannon perfectly. Increasing his base level doesn't really hurt him much since he's already getting reduced EXP from most of the early unpromoted enemies, so most of his starting EXP comes from killing Dracos. Arguably giving him C Lances would fit with the Gordin change I made but if he ever wanted to go Draco and use Pikes then he only has to use a Lance like 8 times. He's already good, so there's no need to mess with that. No changes.

Malicia - Decrease Staff Rank to D. Malicia already has a strong niche in Hammerne, and Yumina's Rescue Staff isn't exclusive to her anymore. Making Rescue Yumina exclusive again negatively affects many other parts of the game so whilst I can't do that, I can adjust things so Yumina will likely be the only Staffer who can use Physic for a little while, and the only one who can reach Fortify in time for Chapter 14 in fast clears. Comparing the minimum turncounts for incomplete recruitment LTC, Yumina has exactly 45 turns to build Staff Rank in, for a total of 90 Staff WEXP. Add on her base 75, and Bishop's base 30, and that's exactly 195, precisely what we need for Fortify. Malicia is still worth raising because she'll have to be deployed to Hammerne things in the last few maps anyway, so she should be aiming to reach Again for when she isn't using Hammerne. As such, this nerf primarily buffs Yumina by stopping Malicia completely eclipsing her.

Catria - She's basically supposed to be overpowered and the devs love her. The only reasonable changes I can see are to decrease her base Speed by 1 and decrease either her Strength or Speed growth by 5 or 10%, but I am not entirely convinced this is neccessary, or whether it would have much of a positive impact on the game. All it would really do is stop her from doubling some Soldiers in Chapter 2, and make her lose 1 to 2 Str/Spd over the course of 20 levels on average, which basically means you'll have to give her an extra Energy Drop/Speedwing, or use more RP (if you're playing with DLC, you cheater). Obviously a greater growth nerf would affect her more, but comparing her base Strength to a similarly leveled Seventh Platooner makes her pretty even, so her solid strength growth feels justified. Her very high speed growth in combination with amazing speed base seems harder to argue for, but Catria is so consistently borderline doubling for so much of the game that it feels a bit iffy to touch speed related things, especially when I believe that's intended. I don't want to make a nerf for the sake of making it look like I made a nerf, and I don't think a large nerf is warranted. Like Draug, increasing her base level doesn't affect her EXP gain very much anyway due to enemy composition in the next few maps. The only major reason to nerf Catria is to inadvertedly buff Cecille, but I have some other ideas for that I'll share near the end. No changes.

Warren - Recieved insane buffs from the original FE3 (lol 10% speed), but he still falls short of being viable. This is another tricky one, because from the insane speed growth buff he got I can tell they wanted to make him not completely irrelevant. However, in practice Ryan's speed is really the limit of acceptable, and Ryan has other benefits to offset his Speed issues such as easy training in the Prologue which will net him better stats and bow rank by the time you get to Warren. So, to keep in vein with Warren's design goal of trying to be a higher strength but a bit slower bow user who can maybe pull off some long term stuff with favouritism, I'm going to increase base Level by 3, increase base Strength by 4, increase base Skill Speed and Luck by 1 and increase base Bow Rank by 20. The level increase helps to justify the base stat buffs, and he more successfully realises the "slower but stronger" niche, wheras Draug is the faster but (slightly) less powerful, Castor is the midway point and Ryan sits between Castor and Warren.
Cord - An axe rank increase along with some slight buffs to his bases will go a long way, although admittedly the best way to train him will likely still end up being as a Hunter. I intend to give Barst C Axes and Bord B Axes so the separation between the three in ranks will be maintained. His growths are fine. Increase base level by 1, increase base HP by 3, increase base Speed and Defence by 1 and increase Axe Rank to D.
One idea I've been juggling around is how to handle potentially letting female units use Male Class Set B. Letting Cecille become a Horseman would be a major buff, and similarly Berserker Minerva would also be awesome. However I do feel that it's a rather drastic change to suggest, doesn't reflect intent well, and I don't really want to let Palla and Catria get any better than they already are. So I was thinking about having "exclusive access" in that some female units get access to specific classes, or else each female unit gets access to a specific one. It's hard to make a judgement about it, but despite how fun it sounds I'm shying away from the idea because it really goes over the line of "tweaks".
Edited by Irysa

To be fair, I don't think having access to Horsemen would help Palla and Catria out a whole lot, they'd need to eat arms scrolls to dig out of the horrible base weapon ranks and Palla's speed already isn't really cut out for the class.

Gordin and Warren are effectively the same unit now though, Warren has a lower base level and slightly better growths (not enough to really matter though) so he'd be ever so slightly better longterm, but honestly there are so many (worthless) characters in this game that a good chunk of them are bound to be extremely similar or identical. Like how the heck would you ever differentiate Dolph and Macellan?

To be fair, I don't think having access to Horsemen would help Palla and Catria out a whole lot, they'd need to eat arms scrolls to dig out of the horrible base weapon ranks and Palla's speed already isn't really cut out for the class.

Thats fair, but a bunch of other units who go Horseman need help with Arms Scrolls too, so that's hardly a big deal. Palla's speed growth does potentially present problems but her 9 base speed combined with horseman 8 speed (that's better than Draco yo) put her at 17 base speed, so she only needs to proc speed like twice in alllll the levels she'll get before adding on 3 Speedwings and RP/Speed Bond to reach the 27 AS benchmark for Chapter 17 Warriors. I mean, remember that someone like Ryan (who is considered a good Horseman) needs similar resources to pull that off as well at 15/14. Admittedly he doesn't need the Arms Scrolls though, but it's not like Palla's bad as a Horseman. (and we can probably cut out at least one of those Speedwings, 4 levels of Speed by Chapter 17 isn't insane)

The bigger problem there is you're saccing a fantastic Draco with a great Lance Rank.

EDIT: Honestly Caeda probably makes a better Horseman than Palla, Energy Drops are in much less demand.

Gordin and Warren are effectively the same unit now though, Warren has a lower base level and slightly better growths (not enough to really matter though) so he'd be ever so slightly better longterm, but honestly there are so many (worthless) characters in this game that a good chunk of them are bound to be extremely similar or identical. Like how the heck would you ever differentiate Dolph and Macellan?

What Refa said.

But seriously, I made a last minute change to put Gordin to C Bows, and Gordin also has Prologue, so there's that. I agree it's hard to differentiate some characters but I'd rather have some overlap than have EVERYONE be shit. I'm not against having a few stinkers around, but units like Gordin and Warren don't even fall into that category in the first place. I was thinking about putting in Silver Bows in earlier to make Gordin a little better in combination with the Bow Rank buff, since I plan to have Silver Axes be around a little earlier too, but honestly it's not hard for Ryan to get to B Bows and I really don't want to buff him either.

Edited by Irysa

I don't really agree with the approach of making every unit into the same unit but I guess it's what you have to do to make people boarderline useable in H3.

But I mean, Gordin and Warren don't have some overlap, they have more or less the exact same bases and Warren gets 1 stat better every 10/20 levels (since his growths are 5-10% better everywhere), in exchange for one chapter of useablilty (lets be real Gordin doens't exist in the prologue when you could have Athena).

Edited by General Horace

Comparison post buffs.

Gordin's absoloute bases

Lvl HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES WPN

5 5 5 0 4 3 5 2 0 Bow 75

Warren's absoloute bases

5 5 5 0 2 3 2 1 0 Bow 50

I think I could cut Warren's HP by 1 and buff Gordin's Defence by 1, which might differentiate a little more as well as fitting into whatever the fuck they wanted when they were like "Archers are more defensive than Hunters". I disagree with saying "ignore the fact Gordin has Prologue", Athena is definitely better but Gordin's around from Chapter 1. We can't just ignore that, because if Gordin becomes notably good then picking Gordin instead will end up messing with the difficulty curve early on due to potential EXP in Prologue. I was thinking about giving Gordin a Longbow though so he could utilise his C Bows, but again, I think that's messing with balance and intent a lot.

I'm open to suggestions though, how else would you think about "balancing" them? I'm trying to go by what I see as part of the game's actual design and goals, and I see Warren's massive speed buff from FE3 to FE12 as an indication that he was supposed to be able to function as a growth unit now, wheras in the original he was totally worthless. Similarly I don't think they really see Gordin as a long term unit given he only got the general global 10%ish buffs that a lot of other units got.

EDIT: Wow I derped and didn't apply my changes to Gordin. Fixed. I'm thinking about taking away that speed base buff from Gordin now though.

Edited by Irysa

I think the reason Gordin got so much was was the introduction of the Prologue, he pretty handily destroyed Ryan in FE3. Warren has one more point of HP/Skill/Luck according to your buffs too (you only gave him +1 instead of +2). You could make Warren more of a glass cannon than he already is, or giving Gordin some actual growths/bases durability wise. I agree with your line of thinking about Warren, IS tried to make him not useless this time around, but at the same time, Gordin's technically a seasoned veteran of the first war, story wise it doesn't make much sense that he's immediately outclassed by some random mercenary.

Giving Gordin a longbow would lead to some interesting things in the prologue, but I don't think it'd make him worth using over Athena. I guess it isn't fair to just dismiss him from use though, you're right.

Man I can't even keep up with my own changes. I didn't mean to list Warren as +2 to those stats in the first place. Fixed that.

I'm up for increasing Gordin's bases but I really do not want to increase his growths. If I do that then the line starts getting a bit murkier between him and Ryan, and I definitely feel like Ryan is supposed to be "The Long Term Archer" in FE12 and Gordin isn't meant to be good in the long run. I think average stats don't work well for the kind of comparisons we have here because the last time someone was like "Hey move Gordin up in the tierlist, he's statistically not that much worse than Ryan" Miikiya laid down the law.

Gordin's "veteran" status is a thing but tbh he was a rookie in the first war anyway, so he isn't really quite as experienced overall as the others. I feel like representing his past experiences with base stat increases/weapon ranks is more sensible than growths. The problem is if Gordin's offensive bases get much higher then he starts to become more of a realistic long term option (unless we cut his growths to compensate)

I'll give Gordin an extra point of Defence and HP, cut the Strength buff, leave Warren's base HP at 4. How's that?

Gordin's absoloute bases

5 6 4 0 4 3 5 3 0 Bow 75

Warren's absoloute bases

5 4 5 0 2 3 2 1 0 Bow 50

Edited by Irysa

Yeah, I wasn't implying increasing Gordin's growths was the way to go (except maybe HP, it's pretty lame) but we both agree with the notion of Gordin not being a (good) longterm unit.

I think these changes are better (although Gordin should definately keep his +1 speed, he'd be pretty shittastic without it) but gaining more strength too makes him remarkably similar to Ryan for a very long time.

Edited by General Horace

I think you should buff Cord more, I mean his base speed is exactly the same (after the buff) as it was in Shadow Dragon which just feels...wrong. Also unlike a lot of the other party members so far, he's not exactly going to be fulfilling any niches or general purpose roles by being a foot unit with an axe rank, so I think he could stand to have more stats (maybe +1Str/Skl/Spd/Lck from what you've already got to emphasize a faster unit than either Barst or Bord while also making it so that his bases don't eclipse Draug's).

Draug has avalibility and Lance Rank on Cord's mostly worthless Axe rank, so making him not awful statistically wouldn't be bad.

Although I will say having D axes is pretty much the same as having E axes.

Edited by General Horace

Oh yeah, I guess he could have more improvements then but I'm not exactly sure how far to go. Also D axes lets him use Hand Axes!

Hand axes suck though.

I guess it lets him use steel axes for more power, it's better than nothing I guess. But he's not likely to stay in an axe using class for very long anyway so it's mostly a moot point, I'm not gonna lie I have no idea what his growths are and i'm too lazy to look them up but he's probably a half decent berserker I guess.

Can't be bothered to quote for replies;

Hand Axes do not suck given that 1-2 is mega nerfed in this game so extra base MT is notable. A Hand Axe forge is pretty awesome if you were a Fighter!MU since he can put it to good use as a Draco and do things like oneshot Mages or ORKO Wyverns with it. Honestly even a non Fighter!MU benefits assuming you have them as a Pirate before promotion then Draco afterwards, if anyone can get 15 Rounds of combat quickly it's MU.

I mean yeah you could forge a Javelin instead but it costs more to get it to the point where it can do the same things.

Steel Axes are kinda not that relevant though, I agree.

Cords growths are pretty good offensively.

Pirate / Berserker 100 50 0 30 70 50 15 0

Hunter / Horseman 70 40 0 30 65 50 20 0

for comparison, here's Draug

Pirate / Berserker 90 55 0 45 80 40 25 0
Hunter / Horseman 60 45 0 45 75 40 30 0

A bit worse overall but definitely workable if his bases weren't so abysmal.

I don't want to make Cord neccessarily comparable to Draug or the Seventh Platooners, I'm fine with him being worse. I'm more interested in making him a solid mid/upper mid kind of unit rather than a high tier one. You can opt to get him some levels from the early Draco swarms via Iron Bow Forge/chip combining and letting him get last hits(The bow forge is useful in general and Draug, Luke and Rody appreciate it a lot so that's not excessive favouritism). Once he gets off the floor you can start mostly using him in Pirate to nab kills here and there and I think he should be able to theoretically reach C Axes in time for Chapter 6, so he can Hammer the Knights there and Hammer the Generals in Chapter 8 too. It's not that hard to feed random units like him or Barst midgame dragon kills whilst unpromoted via some other random providing Swordmaster chip with an unforged Wyrmslayer either.

I can see the case for increasing his stats just a bit more, but I want him to be clearly inferior whilst still viable or interesting to use and I think making him a bit better than this means I'll have to make Bord and Barst better than I'd otherwise want for parity, which then risks putting Barst towards being stronger than he might really deserve to be.

Edited by Irysa

Ok, i'll rephrase my statement a bit, Cord using hand axes sucks.

Cord definately isn't supposed to be a powerhouse or anything I think he's fine with what you've done. Getting him C axes is pretty impossible by chapter 6 if you're reclassing him to hunter half of the time though, but that's what Bord and Barst are for anyway.

I still think he should have +1Spd because him having the same Spd as he had in Shadow Dragon is just dumb. All of the other buffs I suggested I'm not particularly attached to though, and I can understand your design philosophy on those.

Ok, i'll rephrase my statement a bit, Cord using hand axes sucks.

Eh, Knights have shitty enough avo that I don't think it's that bad.

Getting him C axes is pretty impossible by chapter 6 if you're reclassing him to hunter half of the time though, but that's what Bord and Barst are for anyway.

I was thinking more like Chapter 3 he goes Hunter, then after that he goes back to Pirate for Chapters 3x, 4 and 5.

In 3x he can double archers and knights with the C2 Steel Axe as Pirate with 2 Speed Procs, (which is not unreasonable given his great speed growth) or RP him cheater. Bord makes a bit more sense since he can actually use the Hammer but doing 20 damage to Armors with 35 HP isn't terrible. Or he could use a Hand Axe to not eat a counter and weaken it enough for Marth to get a kill with a Rapier on the first turn. He nearly ORKOs Archers with a Steel Axe (definite ORKO if you RP).

4 he sticks with the initial group and helps clear the Barbs near the start and blocks the forts there, but you can probably do some shit where you leave a single Fort open so he's got something else to hit.

Then in 5 you've got a lot of extra turns because you need to go get Hammerne.

He's stuck using axes in Chapter 2 anyway so add that onto the rest and he should just about make it. Or you could just opt to try to train him as a Hunter forever and be a worse Draug whom you also have to Dump Arms Scrolls into to pull off Horseman (although you probably don't need to Robe him)

I realise it's pushing it but I can see it barely being possible if you're playing a bit slower (By Chapter 8 is definitely possible, if not 6x). And in the event you're not willing to dick around putting a few more turns in to baby him, that's what Bord and Barst are for. :V

I still think he should have +1Spd because him having the same Spd as he had in Shadow Dragon is just dumb. All of the other buffs I suggested I'm not particularly attached to though, and I can understand your design philosophy on those.

Pretty sure his speed base in SD is 2 and now it's 3.

Edited by Irysa

rody: a big problem here is that rody is basically strictly worse than luke at base (losing 1 str, spd, and def in exchange for 1 luk) and having a lance rank is super redundant when catria and palla exist.

ryan: i feel like ryan is a little overrated currently because he's actually kind of slow, even when reclassed to hunter.

cecille: in addition to your changes i would recommend D lances on top of D swords.

draug: i like C lances; his growths are also kind of bad compared to the rest of the top/high tier units though.

dondon:

I'm pretty sure Rody is supposed to be the lower base stat, slightly better growths cavalier in comparison to Luke who has better bases and slightly worse growths. I don't see why that needs to be changed, it's not like he has any serious problems stopping him from leveling up across the game.

His Lance rank is not entirely redundant as he can use things like Ridersbanes with very low effort, and whilst I'll concede that in optimal play he's in Horseman ORKOing Paladins with the Silver Bow/Parthia instead of using a Ridersbane, there's no reason to assume the player is neccessarily only using one of the 7th Platooners, or training them all to use Bows. I've messed around a bit with a "Jack of All Trades" Rody in the last H3 run I did (No MU run), where Rody was raised in Pirate primarily whilst unpromoted. He was able to function as a Dracoknight after promotion with C Lances and D Axes, along with the usual stuff (Swordmaster, Sniper), as well as being able to work as a Horseman if Arms Scrolled (didn't end up doing this though). I ended up using him as the Berserker part of the Hardin bosskill team in C20 with since he hit C Axes with the class bases, and he Brave Axed Sorcerers and Dragonpiked Dragons in the endgame. Okay sure, technically he was better off with the Poleaxe for Paladins, but more people can use a Ridersbane forge.

I agree that Ryan is a little overrated, and that he's pretty slow compared to his competition, but he definitely works. It's hard to justify buffing units who demonstrably preform relatively well, and I'm totally cool with Ryan having some weaknesses (like needing to eat Speedwings to reach benchmarks) because it helps to differentiate characters.

I think giving Cecille D Lances would be a bit much, she shouldnt be able to use Steel Lances on first appearance. However it is a pain to get her to C Lances if she's going to function as a substitute FalcoKnight even with the class base weapon rank so instead of flat D, I'll give her 20 Lance WEXP. That should work nicely, as she'll have to work a little to get to D (making Steel Swords more appealing immediately), but significantly reducing the total required amount of Lance battles she'll have to partake in.

I like C Lances for Draug too but I'm trying to stay consistent in not making changes for the sake of it, especially for units that are competitive already. Draug works as he is fairly well, and you definitely don't have to work hard to get him to C as a Draco/Paladin/General. Sure he's really frail, but I like how all the early Horseman candidates have distinct traits that set them apart from one another, trying to patch up their weaknesses when it's not really neccessary is pretty eh. I'm thinking about giving him +1 HP base so he doesn't get OHKO'd as a Pirate in Chapter 1 (although tbfh, there's no reason to do this if you aren't going to RP him, and he can go Fighter and 2HKO stuff as it stands so...).

Here are some more units.

Marth - Increase base Strength by 1, reduce base level by 1. I was going to put Marth in the first post but I decided against it to think about it some more. I know someone's going to say give Marth C Swords and someone else is going to say that I should increase all his growths because he has to be able to fight Medeus but I refuse. Marth has the Rapier for early Knights, and whilst it's worse and less flexible than the Armorslayer, that's kind of the point. As for growths, there are enough statboosters in the game and from the secret shop (even assuming no base shop) on top of drill grounds and his good growths to mean that you should always be able to manage.

I don't believe Marth is supposed to be particularly strong or easy to train, rather, the army is centred around making sure he can achieve his important goals (visiting, training to fight Medeus, seizing, etc) whilst he simulteanously helps everyone do that via support bonuses. I also like how he's useful in different ways at various points of the game; earlygame he's got the Rapier to help vs Cavaliers and Knights which helps offset his otherwise mediocre offence. When you get the Devil Sword he can use that to help secure kills better than almost anyone else given his good Luck base and fantastic Luck growth. There are various chests for him to loot in the late-early to mid maps like Chapter 6, 10*, 13, 13x, 14*, and he's got Wyrmslayer access and decent stats to use against Dragons in Anri's Way. In the lategame he's pretty mediocre to bad and does little but run to objectives, ngl, but at least he can still utilise the Rapier a little vs Paladins and Horsemen. Then he gets his psuedo promotion and it's Dragon Time again, where he puts everything he's been working on the whole game to use.

Basically, Marth doesn't need to be made into some awesome combat unit or anything, the fact you have to focus on making sure he can get kills on his way to his objectives is an interesting and compelling part of this game that is surprisingly lacking in other FE titles I've played. You may laugh, but the hiatus FE6 LTC is the closest thing I've experienced really. I was really thinking about not changing anything at all but to be honest, level 6 with his strength base is kinda bad for a sword user, and the base level reduction is to help him grow a tiny bit faster when it matters the most.

*Okay 10 and 14 are only if you're playing casually but still.

Arran - No changes.

Linde - This is really tough because Linde changes from being a great unit to being borderline benchable after some earlygame chip contributons without her starting Base Shop Robe. I was considering slightly buffing her base HP and Defence so that she had a chance of reaching 2HKO status without a Robe against some weaker enemies early on, but decided against it - Linde can still take kills and chip easily with Aura without the Robe. She becomes way less usable without it, but she's not UNusable if she doesn't have it. No changes.

Palla - Palla is basically meant to be the safety net for people who made a bad MU and somehow muddled their way through to Chapter 3. Given a few levels and a promotion, she can take over the role of primary team carrier from Arran, so you can't really nerf her without really messing with the difficulty. She's a unit that's just so good that she has to be intentionally superpowered. I was considering eliminating her internal speed growth entirely (all 5% of it) but again like Catria, that seems just like a "token" nerf and doesn't really do anything. No changes.

Bord - Bord is not meant to be some kind of long term unit, but he could at least be better at fufilling his single role in life of smashing Armors into the floor. Also, for the "skill orientated" one of the duo, his skill sucks. Increase base level by 1, increase base HP by 3, increase base skill by 5, increase base defence by 1 and increase Axe Rank to B. In addition Hammers now have a base hit of 65. These changes stop Bord getting oneshot by the Boss of Chapter 3 if he's using his Silver Lance, and make him considerably more accurate, giving him a grand total of 15 more hit with the Hammer against all Lance Wielding Armors, generally putting him to about 90 hit against most of them. However the biggest reason for these accuracy increases, even going so far as to increase the base hit of the Hammer itself is because vanilla Bord can barely hit the boss of the Chapter he's meant to help with. With all these changes, Bord now sports 68 hit against Riuck with his Hammer, which is actually not completely terrible. I don't really like increasing the Hammer's base hit, but giving him even more skill felt like it would be ridiculous, and I think there's still a strong case for Forging some Hit on the Hammer if you do Forge it for Barst. I also contemplated giving him 4 more luck to eliminate the chance of him getting crit, but I think the fact there are battle saves mean that's a relatively uneccessary change, and Luck is kinda sorta meant to be one of Cord's good stats.

Matthis - Increase base HP and Defence by 2, increase Defence growth by 10%, increase base Sword Rank to D. Matthis is another unit who is basically meant to be shitty so I'm not going to try to make him somehow work in the long run. The only stats that have ever stuck out for him are were his defensive stats, notably he had a somewhat high defence growth for a Cavalier in FE11. I've preserved that and also interpreted it into his stats. These changes let him work as a short term filler unit in melee classes, with the Sword Rank allowing him to grab the probably free Myrmidon or Merc spots and use Steels without dying by being looked at funny. If you're crazy and really want to try to use him longterm, Merc or Myrm are the only two classes he really has any chance of having a decent growth spread in anyway.

Julian - Increase base Sword Rank to D. This barely changes anything except for raving Julian fangirls (or fanboys) who really want to be able to try to make combat Julian a thing on Lunatic (14 speed and good growths mean that with the Devil Sword, it's not as unlikely as you think). I say, let them eat cake.

Edited by Irysa

I don't see how Rody being able to use Ridersbanes makes his lance rank less redundant; you get like a bunch of very good units who have a good lance rank (Palla, Catria, Caeda, Sirius).

Matthis also had a fairly good weapon rank base in the original games, which fits into the narrative of him being a noble and probably having the necessary training with none of the actual experience. He should at least have C base lances (or D+x) IMO.