Desktop thread

Hanz

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icons are bad for the soul.
This man is correct. Doubly so if you're on Vista. If you have Vista or Win7 and have icons on your desktop, you fail at computers. (There's a reason you have a desktop search widget in the start menu. Just hit the Windows key and start typing.) Edited by Urist McHammerdwarf

This man is correct. Doubly so if you're on Vista. If you have Vista or Win7 and have icons on your desktop, you fail at computers. (There's a reason you have a desktop search widget in the start menu. Just hit the Windows key and start typing.)

Why are icons so bad if I may ask?

Why are icons so bad if I may ask?
Minimize everything. Hunt up Microsoft Excel with the mouse. Click on them.

Press the Windows key. Type "exc". Hit enter.

I wonder which is smarter.

EDIT: Oh, and lots of icons tends to cause DWM/explorer (depending on Windows version) to have to iterate them more often, causing screen redraws and other shit.

Edited by Urist McHammerdwarf

EDIT: Oh, and lots of icons tends to cause DWM/explorer (depending on Windows version) to have to iterate them more often, causing screen redraws and other shit.

That's the price for convenience, I suppose. :\

Also, depends on the version of office. Excel 2007 is slow to boot up. >_>

And in my case, I can just press Show Desktop.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

That's the price for convenience, I suppose. :\
It's not convenient unless you have no fingers and are unable to type.
Also, depends on the version of office. Excel 2007 is slow to boot up. >_>
Does your caveman computer require crank power to start?
And in my case, I can just press Show Desktop.
You're not helping your case.

It's not convenient unless you have no fingers and are unable to type.

Does your caveman computer require crank power to start?

You're not helping your case.

Not a caveman computer. It's just that Excel 2007 has so much bloat that it takes longer to boot than say, Excel 2003. Also, I'm not trying to prove you wrong. There's just no need to blast others for using icons. Not like it matters to you since those aren't your computers.

Also, added bonus from my previous screen shot, for lulz. Just a couple of EXEs, but still.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4360/winfile.png

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5715/programmanager2.png

Edited by NoNameAtAll

Not a caveman computer. It's just that Excel 2007 has so much bloat that it takes longer to boot than say, Excel 2003. Also, I'm not trying to prove you wrong. There's just no need to blast others for using icons. Not like it matters to you since those aren't your computers.

Also, added bonus from my previous screen shot, for lulz. Just a couple of EXEs, but still.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4360/winfile.png

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5715/programmanager2.png

I see you have the old, less graphically inclined AIM.

Not a caveman computer. It's just that Excel 2007 has so much bloat that it takes longer to boot than say, Excel 2003.
No. Demonstrably wrong by any software metric whatsoever. Shit, I know people who work on Office who say that it's considerably leaner. Who to trust: you, who has demonstrated that you don't know jack, or people who make the software?

That's a tough one.

Also, I'm not trying to prove you wrong. There's just no need to blast others for using icons. Not like it matters to you since those aren't your computers.
Your bad habits influence their UI designers away from behaviors that suit people who actually know how to use their computers. Therefore, it does matter. Stop fucking up.

No. Demonstrably wrong by any software metric whatsoever. Shit, I know people who work on Office who say that it's considerably leaner. Who to trust: you, who has demonstrated that you don't know jack, or people who make the software?

That's a tough one.

Your bad habits influence their UI designers away from behaviors that suit people who actually know how to use their computers. Therefore, it does matter. Stop fucking up.

Never claimed to know jack. Though the smarter choice would be to use Linux instead of Windows.

Also, my decisions have nothing to do with how others should work at it.

'Course, I had no intention of arguing with you. Just stated my preference. But hey, thanks for shitting up a good thread. Your e-penis clearly grew from this.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

I tried AIM 6, but I didn't like it. :/

I'm not particularly fond of it myself. Then again, my computer has a 1.6GHz processor, and was designed to be a business computer, so it wasn't meant to be graphically inclined. It even came with 512MB of RAM when I bought it, yet it had Vista on it... Talk about frustrating...

And I really like Pidgin, I used it on my Linux partition, and I use it instead of AIM on here.

Edited by Cynthia

I'm not particularly fond of it myself. Then again, my computer has a 1.6GHz processor, and was designed to be a business computer, so it wasn't meant to be graphically inclined. It even came with 512MB of RAM when I bought it, yet it had Vista on it... Talk about frustrating...

And I really like Pidgin, I used it on my Linux partition, and I use it instead of AIM on here.

I'll keep it in mind when I eventually partition this computer.

I know I'll do so when Windows 7 comes out.

(Not doing so with the Release Candidate.)

I'll keep it in mind when I eventually partition this computer.

I know I'll do so when Windows 7 comes out.

(Not doing so with the Release Candidate.)

My new computer comes with a free Windows 7 upgrade when it's released. So I might actually get it.

Never claimed to know jack.
And yet you instantly jump to "Office 2007 is bloated" without a shred of proof. Therefore, you were claiming to know--well--something, anyway--and, as such, you are completely wrong.

There's a lot of this on this forum. It always amazes me.

"Stupid comment that would require significant authoritative knowledge to state!"

"You're full of shit and you don't know jack."

"I didn't say I did!"

No, but you implied it. Sit down. If you are not willing to completely and utterly own any point you try to make, don't fucking make it.

Though the smarter choice would be to use Linux instead of Windows.
Ah, yes. Linux. With its "Do you want to do this? [No] [Yes]" dialogs, lack of any real competitive applications, and a lack of decent media support.
Also, my decisions have nothing to do with how others should work at it.
Unfortunately, they do.
'Course, I had no intention of arguing with you. Just stated my preference. But hey, thanks for shitting up a good thread. Your e-penis clearly grew from this.
It wasn't a good thread.
My new computer comes with a free Windows 7 upgrade when it's released. So I might actually get it.
It's better than the alternatives. Edited by Urist McHammerdwarf

It's better than the alternatives.

I don't know I would get a Macbook Pro if they weren't so expensive. They look nice, perform pretty well from what I've seen, and Usually come with some good adobe software preinstalled on them. If it wasn't for their massive price tag, I'd have one!

I don't know I would get a Macbook Pro if they weren't so expensive. They look nice, perform pretty well from what I've seen, and Usually come with some good adobe software preinstalled on them. If it wasn't for their massive price tag, I'd have one!
OS X is a piece of shit and adding Adobe software costs even more money.

There is nothing, repeat nothing, in OS X that is demonstrably superior to Windows Vista, let alone Windows 7. To boot, the hardware's nothing special. It's just an Acer laptop in a different shell.

I tend to prefer the quick launch bar myself. I ceased using Desktop shortcuts ages ago. Only reason they still show up is if I'm too lazy to stop an installer from putting them there, or if I use my Desktop as the default "download to" location.

Your start->search trick is pretty handy though. I use it for cmd mostly, as other things I tend to either already have in the quick launch, or have available in a handy explorer window pointing at the directories I use most often.

It's not like a diversity of options for achieving the same goal is necessarily a bad thing.

I tend to prefer the quick launch bar myself. I ceased using Desktop shortcuts ages ago. Only reason they still show up is if I'm too lazy to stop an installer from putting them there, or if I use my Desktop as the default "download to" location.

Your start->search trick is pretty handy though. I use it for cmd mostly, as other things I tend to either already have in the quick launch, or have available in a handy explorer window pointing at the directories I use most often.

Thing is, the start search bar remembers what you use most often, which other methods do not. If you type "torr" and then select uTorrent, it will remember that "torr" means uTorrent, at least until you select something else from the same typed search. It is the only method that conforms to the user, rather than the user conforming to the computer.
It's not like a diversity of options for achieving the same goal is necessarily a bad thing.
Orthogonality is a virtue. Non-orthogonality is a vice.

And yet you instantly jump to "Office 2007 is bloated" without a shred of proof. Therefore, you were claiming to know--well--something, anyway--and, as such, you are completely wrong.

There's a lot of this on this forum. It always amazes me.

"Stupid comment that would require significant authoritative knowledge to state!"

"You're full of shit and you don't know jack."

"I didn't say I did!"

No, but you implied it. Sit down. If you are not willing to completely and utterly own any point you try to make, don't fucking make it.

Oh, gee, I'm sorry. I ADMIT you're right.

Asshole.

Ah, yes. Linux. With its "Do you want to do this? [No] [Yes]" dialogs, lack of any real competitive applications, and a lack of decent media support.

*Shrug*

Unfortunately, they do.

If that's the case, I'm glad they piss you off.

It wasn't a good thread.

It was better before you felt the need to flaunt your e-penis.

Anyway, I'm done with you. No need to derail this thread any more than it already has been. If you wanna continue, be my guest. But I'm not about to keep talking to you.

Edited by NoNameAtAll