Trails of Cold Steel - 12/22 (PS3/Vita)

TheEnd

Official site

Following XSEED's long lasting tradition of terrible announcement and release dates, Trails of Cold Steel (aka Sen no Kiseki) is now scheduled for this Christmas. Apparently both physically and digitally, for PS3 and Vita (PSTV-compatible).

ToCS happens in Erebonia, roughly one year after the events of Trails in the Sky FC/SC and during the same time as Zero/Ao no Kiseki. As the start of a new arc, it mostly focuses on new things, dropping a few nods to past characters and events. A total newcomer could play this and only miss a few references.

This time around, we're stuck with a typical high school setting, with a more typical teenage animu character roster. Waifus are a thing. Graphics are fully 3D instead of sprites. Music is your typical Falcom, which is pretty good, if you ask me. Voice acting during the story, though the protagonist is sometimes unvoiced during skits (I doubt this will have dual audio, but I didn't find the original dubbing superlative anyway). Gameplay is similar, but much more craft-focused - the biggest change would be the way quartz work, as they now only give access to specific arts, if any at all; on the other hand, crafts are also far more powerful, abundant and interesting than they were in the first games of the series.

Personally I believe this is a strong contender for the weakest entry in the Trails series, but the sequel is pretty good. I like comparing this and ToCS2 to FE11 and 12.

Edited by TravelingElder

Gameplay is similar, but much more craft-focused - the biggest change would be the way quartz work, as they now only give access to specific arts, if any at all; on the other hand, crafts are also far more powerful, abundant and interesting than they were in the first games of the series.

Do you mean that a particular quartz will allow access to, say, tear, as opposed to points in water that allow you to use tear if you get enough of them (1 point)? I like trying to mess around with lines in Trails in the Sky to get cool arts, so it's too bad if that's the case.

With Xenoblade X coming out I might wait to see if this game goes on a decent sale. I wanna support falcom but I think I can wait on this one.

Do you mean that a particular quartz will allow access to, say, tear, as opposed to points in water that allow you to use tear if you get enough of them (1 point)? I like trying to mess around with lines in Trails in the Sky to get cool arts, so it's too bad if that's the case.

With Xenoblade X coming out I might wait to see if this game goes on a decent sale. I wanna support falcom but I think I can wait on this one.

Yeah. Because of that, the lines work in a wonky way this time around - more lines tends to actually be better. I'm not particularly find of the change, either.

I think XSEED really doesn't like money.

It's crazy that two Trails games are coming out within months of each other and one of them actually came out in Japan less than a decade ago.

...and there's like next to no hype about them.

What kind of parallel universe do we live in? o__o

Never played this series before, but I just got a Vita TV and sounds like this is compatible. Worth it for a newbie?

Yes. This one can be played independently from Trails in the Sky.

i see the title and i think of Coldsteel the hedgehog

Then it is your duty to play the entire Trails of the Sky series, so that you may never make such a foolish mistake again! :P:

Just pre-ordered it, and will get the special edition. Unfortunately, I only had enough money for one, so I went with the Vita.

New "Battle Trailer" from XSEED

This one showcases each member of Class VII in combat including their S-Crafts

Doesn't get into the mechanics but should at least give a good idea of the English voice-work and the battle animations

And the soundtrack, can't forget the soundtrack

• 1 month later...

This thread not being at least 5 pages long is a crime. Anybody else beat the game yet? I kind of want to do another playthrough or 2 to get all the bond events but the game is so long and I'm so lazy.

Finally got ahold of this game (it only came out very recently in EU). I'm not too far in yet, but it's been better than I was expecting and very enjoyable.

I wasn't able to finish SC (I'm just starting the finale) before this came out so I'll need to get back to that soon.

I'm not too keen on how arts are tied to quartz now, but I do like the master quartz part, at least.

I will say that it's really interesting seeing what things are like in the empire, information on it was pretty scarce in Sky.

Also, weird thing to pick on, but the, uh, movement really bugs me. Like, it's weirdly stilted and I can't run in a circle properly. Even running in a straight line and then changing the angle slightly seems to stutter the animation, slowing me down.

I hated the Quartz system in Cold Steel until I learned how to break it. Now it's my new favorite. Although I do miss all the mixing and matching combinations to see what cool new spells I could accidentally make. I didn't realize there was a page in the Bracer book that laid all the combinations out until I got to the last dungeon of SC.

• 3 weeks later...

I played through the intro when it first came out, and I finally started playing more again~

About to go on the second field study. Jusis and Machias really need to calm down -_- Finally I get to use bae Fie!

Can I dive into this, or should I play the sky games first?

And from what I've seen, the odds of the third chapter being localized are low, so does that mean we're going to be missing a significant piece of the story, or are the games somewhat stand alone?

Trails in the Sky FC and SC are both really solid and tie to each other, I'm highly enjoying them both, I heard third chapter is more of a side story than a game actually tied to the main events of FC/SC so I would highly advise you just go for it.

Definitely consider playing Trails in the Sky FC and SC first. Cold Steel makes a number of references and cameos to FC/SC, and will also spoil some of the events that happened in those games.

Trails in the Sky The Third is supposed to be a bunch of side-stories, but also apparently sets up for Ao no Kiseki and Cold Steel II. You don't need to worry about having to skip Third yet. (When CSII is released, it might be a problem for all of us.)

Edited by Dotty