It’s my birthday today. You know last year I played the original Xenoblade Chronicles game for the first time on my birthday, it was really something, a shame that I can’t include Xenoblade X on this list because I haven’t I haven’t started playing it yet. Which I should soon and a review will be coming.

But for now, I want to see what games everyone really liked playing this year. I’m going to list my favorite games that I played in 2015 and I would like for you all to share your own as well. I played a lot of older games I had shelved for a while, so this list isn’t going to only feature games released in 2015 and in fact don’t be surprised to see games that are 2 generations old. Bloodborne is off this list since I didn’t play much of it, it was on a friend's PS4 but I don’t have a PS4 myself so I didn’t get to play it past the first boss. I didn’t play that much of Rocket League either. An honorable mention goes to The Beginner’s Guide.

Okay without further ado, here are my favorites that I played during 2015 with a brief description for each. Mine is in no order.

Metroid Prime Trilogy:

I hate puns but I’ll say it, these three games are the prime example of a 3D Metroidvania game done right, the first person perspective is so fitting for these games, allowing you to look at the world and observe it in great detail, the combat is thrilling, the exploration is enthralling, the bosses are the best in any first person game there is, great tests to the tools you acquired and the enemies you faced before. I’ve wanted to play them for years, but they were so rare, finally I found them, I experienced them, and I couldn’t be any happier about it.

Super Mario Maker

Heh, this game was unexpected. Super Mario Maker is the most creative game of the year, in a literal way. We spent years upon years playing Mario Games and now we’re finally making them, I love Super Mario Maker for the exact same reasons why I loved Portal 2’s Puzzle Editor, both games aren’t as deep or as complex as a game engine but it’s the creative boundaries that let designers be more creative when they’re making games, as well as giving them more focus. I’ll stick with Unity and Unreal for the games I’m developing but whenever there’s something I wanna test out quickly I’ll hop on Super Mario Maker, it’s fun, it’s engaging, but the amount of fun and engagement I have is dependent on you. And what better designer, what better person to know what makes a game fun, then a gamer?

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain:

Never mind the anger and rage I’ve thrown into it, MGSV is actually the only game I got legitimately angry against, because it was missing an entire act, making it objectively incomplete. But it’s the power of emergent gameplay that made me love it, it has some of the smoothest controls in a stealth game, great production values, as well as a wide variety of different approaches you can have to every single level. Its AI adapting to your different playstyle made the gameplay choices always meaningful and never meaningless. And gameplay is what matters in the end, especially in this medium.

Persona 3 FES and Persona 4

High school drama, waifus! I can never have enough. Seriously though, Sid Meier once said “A game is a series of interesting choices.” If there’s any games that deserve to be called a series of interesting choices, it’s definitely Sid Meier’s very own Civilization series… what? Oh yeah I was supposed to talk about Persona, so Persona also applies to that definition.

A game that offers many choices every in-game day and only allows you to do one at a time. The game manages to be two games in one, and your choices in both games greatly affect the gameplay experience of both, that’s what the social link and Persona systems do. Its dungeon crawling is similar to that of a typical RPG with some elements borrowed from its main series Shin Megami Tensei to make it feel unique and stand on its own. Both Persona 3 and Persona 4 are some of the best JRPGs I’ve played and Persona 4 Golden is better than both, I feel it learned from the mistakes of both games in terms of gameplay. Making it feel smoother and more polished than ever before. I also played Persona 4 Dancing All Night this year, while it’s far from my favorite it’s a celebration of Persona 4 as a game more than anything, and I’m just fine with that.

Undertale

Yes indeed, Undertale, a game that got lucky, a game that captured so many hearts. Besides what I talked about in my review and what you hear many people say about Undertale, I have one more thing to add, it’s just fun you know? Love it or hate it, you can’t deny the effort Toby Fox put into it, pouring his heart and soul, and allowing us to control them. Undertale is charming, it’s witty, and it’s short yet replayable and will never make you forget it long after the credits start rolling. In the end, it’s a game that. It’s appealing to a wide variety of players due to the two vastly different playstyles you can take with it. One of the most emotional experiences this year and I’m glad I was one of the ones who got to experience it.

Fallout 4:

Here it is, the game that sparked a lot of controversy for its lackluster ending, but who cares? Not me, at least. Bethesda games are always designed and built for an idea of making their players addicted and play them for years until the next one comes out, a solid development and business strategy. And Fallout 4 succeeds with flying colors, the game has its fair share of flaws it’s definitely not a perfect ten on my scale, far from it. As it suffers from a dated engine, horrid loading screens and a bunch of technical issues I could write a separate topic on. But ultimately, it’s the tower defense, city building, empire management, dating simulator, first and third person shooter role playing game that we all expected it to be. It’s here, it’s alive and it’s not dying anytime soon, and it’s a damn blast to play.

Tabletop Simulator:

There were some board and card games I’ve played this year that were pretty good, I’ve considered including some since they’re still games too, but I thought “How about ALL?!” Yes, Tabletop Simulator is the best way to play board and card games, whatever it is, it has them all, it’s not 100% extensive but if there’s a tabletop game you like, chances are it’s here, Gwent is here too. Playing with your friends became much easier with this game since they don’t have to be present in the same room playing the real game with you, I’ve had hours of fun playing games like Cards Against Humanity, Dominion among others, the sessions are short but that’s the thing about them, they’re more replayable than most games out there. And the fun just continues.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt:

My favorite game of the year, one of my favorites of all time rivaling that of Zelda, this game is so special. A masterpiece, the quintessential RPG, The Witcher Wild Hunt. This game is what a much bigger Majora’s Mask would ideally be to me, all NPCs react differently to you, it’s a living breathing world, one where its sheer nature can be greatly affected by the player’s choices. This game has a very deep universe with stories unrivaled, thrilling combat, amazing atmosphere, an unbelievable soundtrack, and it brings Geralt of Rivia’s story to a close. All of that is neatly packed into this gem that will never be broken and one that will stay in my memory for years and years until it is surpassed, but even when it does get surpassed, I will come back again, to meet some old friends in the north.

That is all for today folks, what are your favorite games that you played this year? Doesn’t have to be one released this year of course, feel free to list them here, and you don't need a description if you don't want to of course. And thank you to everyone who read if even some of the reviews I posted throughout the year, it’s been fantastic. It's still the morning, I’ll go and see what the rest of my birthday has to offer.

Happy birthday to you too, Sully. *Wink*

Edited by Rxmonste

Yoshi's Woolly World and Super Mario Maker are my favorites. Zelda: Tri Force Heroes is great too. I also played Kid Icarus: Uprising for the first time and it's awesome. Viridi and Dark Pit are my favorite characters in it so far.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of games since I don't remember when I started most of them.

1. Undertale, spoilers
  2. Fire Emblem 5 and 6, awesome games with great difficulty.
  3. Super Smash Bros 4, a smash I'm not terribly at on handheld.
  4. Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, one of the strangest games I've ever played, also I love it.
  5. SMT: 2, 3, and 4. All great games and I love difficulty RPGS.
  6. SMT: Devil Survivor, very fun with actual choices for the most part. The new game+ kinda makes you stomp the entire game though.
  7. MH4U, a little hard to get into but amazing once you do.

Touhou Shinpiroku ~ Urban Legend in Limbo - The better of 2015's two Touhou releases (the other was a horribly balanced disaster, unfortunately). The game expands on Hopeless Masquerade's engine, while removing relatively unpopular popularity and faith (I didn't mind them myself though), it still stands on its own with its occult system and adding four new characters to HM's previously tiny roster. It's also the only fighter I don't fail epically at.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes - Easily the best multiplayer Zelda, the areas are fun. The plot clearly isn't taking itself seriously, which makes it intentionally hilarious. Oh, and Link's outfits are funny too.

does Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows count as a game

I ask this not because I played it, in fact I didn't

but because I bought literally no games this year that actually came out this year

I mean I can add some that I played this year that didn't come out this year but I'd rather talk about games that actually came out this year

the only game I played that came out this year was Undertale which someone bought for me

but I also have Shovel Knight and am planning on playing Plague of Shadows soon since that's free if you have the original game

anyway for now I think the only game I played this year that came out this year was Undertale which was pretty fun

had a nice story, a lot of fun characters, great music, and an interesting and fun combat system.

I want to say I recommend it to anyone who likes RPGs but I don't like that many RPGs so I'll just say I recommend it to anyone looking for a short but sweet experience that puts a few interesting twists on what you might expect from an RPG.

I can hardly remember any other games I played this year but if I played Azure Striker Gunvolt this year then I guess that

I don't think I did though

Edited by maybe

Undertale, Dragon Age Inquisition, Sacred Stones, Splatoon, and Bayonetta 2. I think Undertale was probably the one that emotionally affected me the most. I never thought a sweet little indie game would make me laugh and cry so much. (Gone Home made me cry a ton but that had more to due with it reminding me of high school and struggles I had)

Happy birthday ~

This year I got a 3ds, so it was plenty of games for me! My absolute favorites are:

1. Virtue's Last Reward: I played 999 a few years ago and fell in love with the series; I loved its overall story and the very philosophical/scientifical/moral themes it has, and the cast is great! The ending has the worst cliffhanger ever though, I can't wait for Zero Time Dilemma to come out!

2. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask: because boy am I a sucker for PL games. I love them all to pieces (except The Azran Legacy), and this one managed to make me cry. Among all things, I liked a lot how archaelogy was actually in the game (I love archaeology)

3. Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright: told you I'm a sucker for these games. Ace Attorney is one of my favorite series ever, and this crossover was amazing. The story was... weird and complicated, but I found it really great and I would love to see another game like this one (also the bonus chapters were hilarious)

4. Fire Emblem: Awakening: it made me discover this series and, even though the plot isn't so good and I much prefer the Tellius games, this one is the one who I think deserves to be in this list (especially because I haven't actually played FE9/10, just watched some lps because my computer is toooo slow to let me play them). I'm currently making my way through a hard/classic run ;o;

5. Shin Megami Tensei IV: I'm still crying for the trio, I loved them all a lot (especially Isabeau) and the various endings hurt me so much ;o; anyway I'm still having nightmares of the Tokyo map. And of Issachar, I think I spent at least 6 hours trying to defeat him

Edited by Luce

The game that stood out to me in 2015 were Undertale, Yoshi's Woolly World and Splatoon.

I'm only going to talk about Undertale because oooohhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaaan I love that game (I'm also REALLY SALTY that it didn't win any awards at the Game Awards)

Undertale

I can go on and on about how much I love Undertale but I'm going to say that, as someone who really loves the humor in Earthbound and Mother 3, Undertale was a real treat for me. Characters are also a big selling point for me. If I don't like the characters personally, I probably won't enjoy the game all that much. But Undertale, I don't think there's ANY character that I dislike because everyone is bursting with their own personality and charms.

This game really resonated with me because I really don't like violence and fighting so to be able to actually coax and get along with the enemies to see them more than just monsters - it made me really happy. It just goes to show that every monster has their own lives and families and they aren't that different from you.

Edited by carefreejules

I think Dark Souls might be one of the only games I played this year that wasn't one I played this year that wasn't one I played before, and enjoyed that is. My early 2015 memories are foggy though. I think I might have also got into Metroid Prime 2. MGSV and Fallout 4 were the only new AAA games I really played, and both of them were kind of disappointing (MGSV is more of a mixed opinion).

Fallout 4, Bloodborne, MGSV, GTAV if you count the PC release. As in games that I played this year that were released this year, I played a lot of other stuff.

Didn't really have a chance to play much new stuff this year.

Edited by Tryhard

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Undertale, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and Bayonetta 2. I also want to tentatively put Xenoblade Chronicles X on the list since I am loving what I've played thus far.

Edit: happy birthday, Rxmonste

Edited by Ambling Falchion

(Edit: Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot about this: Happy Birthday, Rxmonste!)

1. Freedom Planet (I played both the PC and Wii U versions)

Definitely one of my favorite games of all time. An amazing platformer. Incredible variety in terms of level design, beautiful visuals, an amazing soundtrack, several fundamentally different characters to play as and the best pacing I've ever seen in a video game. The game just keeps getting better and better with every level, culminating in facing against my favorite final boss ever. I just can't gush enough about this game.

2. The Legend of Korra (PC version)

This is a very odd choice, to be sure. Platinum was working on this game with limited time and budget and it most certainly shows. But honestly, it's actually my favorite Platinum game. It's lacking a lot of the things that always frustrates me about their games, like their instant-kill QTEs or unskipable cutscenes but the basic gameplay is just as excellent as ever. Sure, the game is not as long and doesn't have that much of the cool Platinum stuff, but because the game is appropriately priced, I see no issue with that. Like, it's not a game were you spend 15 bucks to waste your time with. It's a game were you spend 15 bucks to actually have fun and when you reach the end it leaves you wanting more because you were indeed having fun. Thanks to Platinum putting their resources were it matters, the game is still good, just not as big as their other games. I also enjoyed the game because Korra is just a very fun character to play as. She is not using some awkward Wai-Fu, she just roundhouse kicks enemies in the face.

And after watching both Avatar shows, I feel like the game nicely compliments Korra's show. This passage is already getting a bit long but for example, in her show Korra never got to fully utilize the Avatar state like Aang did several times. But here she does, and it's glorious.

3. Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (3DS)

When I played this game, it was hard for me to believe that the current IS made this game. Every map in this game is unique and victory depends on how you use your tools, and not how good you are at being a munchkin so that the enemies suicide themselves against your superior stats. And there are tons of tools to work with. The game is far from being perfectly balanced, but everything gives you a reason that you might want to use it. Well, except for Dorothy's gun. But otherwise, you can find a purpose for everything. Even Ike's hilariously underpowered Ragnel has some unique properties that allows it to do some things that can not be replicated with any other weapon, like pushing an enemy towards an exploding barrel and detonating the barrel with the same attack. With that said, installing the update is crucial because it allows the player to speed up enemy phase. Without it, the game is just no fun because it takes ages otherwise.

4. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (PC version)

Well, the port is not exactly excellent but I've seen far worse (looking at you, Sonic:Generations). Besides, I can play the game at a higher resolution and use nude mods. Gameplay is still as fun as ever. Although it looks to me like the Last Round version includes all the fanservice (since this is DoA, the term is actually appropriate here) DLC from the previous versions of 5. Since the opponents in Arcade mode use random outfits, this results way too often in facing opponents in really stupid looking outfits ... or lack thereof as the case may be. I really wish you could disable some costumes.

5. Life is Strange (PC version)

I suppose I am not all that qualified to talk about this game since it's was the first game of it's kind that I ever played. Unless you count the point and click adventures from the 80s and 90s, which you shouldn't. But yeah, while the ending could have been executed better, the story and characters were very engaging, just like it's controversial but intriguing opinions on the public perception of ambitions Square movie projects.

6. TES V: Skyrim (Requiem mod)

Yeah, the vanilla game can kiss my ass. Just like Oblivion, this game needs mods to turn it into a proper RPG, to allow for a proper adventure and not just a bunch of level-scaled encounters, to make you feel like you are actually progressing and get stronger as you raise in level. And Requiem provides just that, although I am not quite hardcore enough to play the game in it's vanilla settings.

This mod really shows the true potential of Skyrim. Like, the massive flying lizards of Skyrim are annoying flies that force you to run all over the place like an idiot because they keep moving out of your melee range. But in Requiem, they are proper dragons, whose roars will utterly terrify you as they circle around you, waiting for an opportunity to tear you to shreds like the puny human you are.

7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC version)

We are definitely reaching the point were games turn into more of a mixed bag. MGS V's core gameplay is fun and they did a great job to iron out the rough edges of Ground Zeroes. And the game runs great on PC. The problem is that nothing else is fun. The game is dragged down by the tedious and mindless Mother Base management, lack of variety in missions, constant helicopters rides and the games attempts to bully you into creating an FOB so that it can sell you insurances for real world money to protect your precious resources earned through hours of tedious grinding from the dangers of an competitive online environment. Having to return to mother base just to shower is particularly annoying. Technically I like stuff like that but it doesn't work here. Like, Mother Base is not like a town in an RPG or whatever. There is nothing to do there. So you just jump out of the helicopter, run into the shower, jump right back into the helicopter and leave. It's just kinda dumb that way.

The game's weak plot doesn't help matters. It's still a fun game but unnecessary frustrating. Plus, since I play the PC version, I can use mods. Giving Quiet some clothes and stuff. Not that this turns her into a better character or less of an contemptible human being but at least it makes her easier on the eye. I mean, seriously, torn tights? She even takes them off several times. Why would you ever want to put such tights back on? She should just throw them the trash and get new ones. Or maybe some shorts, I've heard they are comfy and easy to wear. And if she needs money, I'm sure her precious Big Boss senpai would be more then glad to pay for them.

Edited by BrightBow

@BrightBow @Ambling Falchion @Luce

Thank you all!

I'm only going to talk about Undertale because oooohhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaaan I love that game (I'm also REALLY SALTY that it didn't win any awards at the Game Awards)

Yeah that happens every year, there are tons of amazing games but only one steals most of the awards, and in this year it was Witcher 3. I personally thought it deserved more credit than it recieved at those awards but hey, that's how it goes.

I'm actually gonna give Metal Gear extra credit for this, I played through this part today it was good. Aww, Kojima...

Edited by Rxmonste

Monster Hunter 4U is definitely the high point of this year for me.

Such a fun game. Back in the days i used to play it constantly(the only reason i don't is because.... not a holiday and stuff derp) the first week of a month is the hypest day of the month because of new DLC

• Fire Emblem Thracia 776, a FE part with super modern game mechanics and map design for its time. Too bad that capturing and a modified fatigue system didn't return.

Persona 3 FES, a JRPG with elements of a simulation à la The Sims (day organization). I love the gameplay and the music. Not finished yet.

Tales of Vesperia. Honestly I have a love-hate-relationship to this game. It's frustating at some points for me, because I can't deal with the battle mechanics well. Unlike in other parts of this series I can't hit stunned enemies on the ground with physical weapons and the enemies act way more aggressively. Furthermore the bosses are tougher. Many deaths and blow ups are guaranteed. However this challenge is the reason, why I still continue it. BTW I'm playing the PS3 JP-version, so I can't understand much of the story and I stuck at some points. Actually I started to play more than a year ago, but I'm playing it for real now. Not finished yet.

Tales of the Abyss. Also a game I've started to play a longer time ago (2013), but I've finished only yet. I love pretty much everything: The characters, story, soundtrack and gameplay. Many people say it's one of the easier parts, which is true, but I enjoyed it at any time. It introduced me into the Tales of series.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Trails in the Sky FC+SC, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and Xenoblade Chronicles, with honourable mentions to Shin Megami Tensei IV and UnderTale. If Persona 3 FES didn't exist, TitS would probably be my favourite game of all-time

Favorite games played this year that I had not played before (I revisited a lot of games this year and Windwaker HD and Majora's Mask 3D count as a revisit for me as well)

1. Mother 3

2. Fallout 4

3. Fire Emblem 4

4. Undertale

5. Bioshock Infinite

6. The Last of Us (Remastered)

7. Loz: A Link Between Worlds

8. Ni No Kuni: Wraith of the White Witch

9. Xenoblade X (loving it so far I put this low only because I have not had enough time with it)

10. Earthbound

11. Smash 4 (3DS)

12. Wolfenstein: The New Order

13. Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze

14. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

15. Device 6 (more like a interactive novel but it is really good)

It's funny only 3 of these game actually came out this year (Fallout 4, Xenoblade X, and Undertale)

Trails in the Sky and Persona 3 FES, were both awesome, and I hadn't heard of either series prior to this year. I found Persona 4 to be a little bit disappointing after Persona 3, but enjoyed it nonetheless. If we're also counting games that I replayed during this year, I have to include (in no particular order):

Fire Emblem (Rekka no Ken)

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

Chrono Trigger (played DS for the first time, but played the heck out of the original)

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy X

Golden Sun

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Shadow Dragon was NOT one of my favorite games, lol. Neither was GS: Dark Dawn, which I also played for the first time this year.

If anyone asks?

Fallout 4.

Only game I have played from this year and Im still going forth.

152 hours so far and its just a month since it got released.

Fav games I played this year include Deus Ex HR and Fallout 3 and New Vegas.