Xenoblade Chronicles X

solrocknroll

So it seems this game has no topic on the front page.

This is unacceptable.

So as many people already know, this game came out yesterday. I'm only about four hours in on Chapter 4. My avatar's name is Emily and she has blue hair and the Christina Vee voice option, although I'll likely switch between her and Carina Reeves throughout the game. I'm planning on going Galactic Knight. I mean, I already switched to Enforcer.

Loving it so far. The music is great. I especially like Uncontrollable, THEMEX, and NLA - Day so far, as well as The Key We've Lost off of the Japanese website, although I know that it plays a bit later than where I am.

So what about you? What are your impressions so far.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hyped, I bought it yesterday and installed the patch with all the optional patches/data packs.

I still haven't played it because it just finished downloading and installing before I slept last night and I won't play today because I'm celebrating my birthday. But I'm going to hop on that tomorrow.

I have a feeling about it if you know what I mean.

Edited by Rxmonste

I didn't get the chance to play a lot yesterday because of studying for finals and all that, but what I did play I loved. The creature designs are amazing, the music is amazing, and I can't wait to get even deeper into this world.

I am going to go buy it today. I have been looking forward to this game for 2 years and I am glad that this afternoon I will have a good bit of time to start playing.

Really on the fence about it. I loved the first game, but this one just seems too massive for me.

I was never a fan of quests in the original and they seem really prominent in this game so I'm leaning towards skipping it.

I will get the game eventually, but I only just started playing the original Xenoblade so it might still be a while before I get it.

I have some worries about the setting though. It looks less attention grabbing then Xenoblade's and i'm a bit worried about the avatar system and if they won't appear get too bland.

So I just started the game and the game told me right at the beginning that in Online mode, my profile will be shared with other players. That's fine and all but I can't find the setting to switch between online and offline mode. I would assume I get that setting later, but the game connected to the internet even before reaching the opening screen.

I was never a fan of quests in the original and they seem really prominent in this game so I'm leaning towards skipping it.

Xenoblade Chronicles seemed to be at least partly inspired by MMOs, and this game more so, hence the style of questing.

I am going to be very honest, my first 12 hours of this game have been a lot more positive than the original Xenoblade Chronicles. Despite the game taking almost 3 to 4 hours before you actually get into the main meat of the game which is around chapter 3 or 4, the pacing of the game is much better.

The sidequests have much more interesting stories, morals and questionable objectives this time and there are much better rewards this time around. Not to mention everything is centralized in one hub so you don't have to go from one town to another to find that one guy that needs help in order to activate that specific sidequest. However in order to progress through the game, you are required to do some sidequests before you can advance to the next chapters of the story. Luckily these optional sidequests you pick will be able to help you in the next story chapters as it makes you progress through without having the need to constantly grind. However the terminologies can throw you off early game if you don't know what material does what and where to get them. There is an intel library you can access to help you learn what each thing is though.

The world is massive and I mean really massive. I still haven't even explored 15% of the first main continent and you will be looking at the sceneries a lot more in this game.

In terms of gameplay and combat, it's pretty much like Xenoblade Chronicles where you pick arts and do auto attacks at the same time but there have been some nice little fixes and changes. For example, you can actually see if you are doing the QTE window correctly or not and there is a feedback which was really helpful because I never knew if I was doing it correctly in the original. The game now involves guns and close quarter melees and there is a lot of vareity of playstyles of different classes and specific weapon types to choose from. Rifles, Snipers, Heavy Machine and sword types all attack different and affect the outcomes much more drastically. If you are struggling to defeat a boss, there is an option to lower if you get repeatedly defeated but that's up to the player. The map system using the gamepad is much more convenient as I can now select to fast travel anywhere I want without having to go through the long loading screens and delayed renders. Yes you can also play with the gamepad only.

Character customization while is great and neat, does unfortunately offer some limitations. It requires you to pick a preset before you select the hairstyles, body types and makeups etc. This might throw off some people as there are some that would have preferred to change everything on the go immediately without having to longer their thinking process of what they want but that was me when I was playing it. Of course no breast slider in the NA version. The avatar works like a silent protagonist and you have specific responses that can affect the relationships of your party members.

My main issues with this game are, still I have no idea what's going on during combat and the text is a bit too small and a bit difficult to read even with a bigger TV. Due note the game runs at 720p native. So people with really small TVs, this might be a challenge. It's also easy to get lost in the beginning of the game as I had absolutely no idea what I was doing to progress in the beginning but I did adapt and got used to the system about a few mins later when I learned about the main requirements to advance the story. One save file per user is kind of annoying limit but luckily you can just create multiple Wii U users on your console if you want more save files.

Overall, I am loving this game more than the original Xenoblade Chronicles and I look forward to the story and events that transpire more in the game.

(Linkmstr's channel)

-I am.

-The music is amazing.

-The battle theme is better than before.

-The new life is really something.

-The creatures aren't ridiculous level.

-The start of the game don't make sense, but it will be revealed later.

-I have to get this game immediately.

Edited by Lin_Lee_Koo

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed the small text. I have a 47 inch TV that's fairly close to my couch and I still had some issues here and there easily reading the text. I'm not too far into the game yet because I spent like 10 years making my character, but I'm enjoying it thus far. I never played the first Xenoblade so initially the combat was a little confusing, but I think I'm figuring it out.

How is this game? The things scaring me are how massive the over world is (I don't want to spend 15 minutes running across a field wtf) and overcomplicated battle system.

the battle system is really not that complicated. It's confusing at first sight but really it plays like most MMORPGs. Your character autoattacks every few intervals and then you can call specific arts to do massive damges or certain buffs/debuffs. That's literally it. The customization can be daunting at first glance but it's really nothing complicated. It just has a lot of options to affect the outcomes.

It honestly doesn't take long to run across the fields. You can run super sanic speed and if you have visited certain areas, you can fast travel (teleport) to them immediately with your map on the gamepad. The game encourages you to explore and most sidequests takes me about 5 to 10 mins give or take even if it's going out in the fields or different continents.

Edited by kingddd

Adding on to what kingddd said, exploration gets way faster after ch 6 (and further increases after ch 9). It's also easy to find your way due to the follow ball.

Having fun so far, although I don't own the game yet, I got to play my friends copy though and get started.

I'll get a better pic later but here's Ira

OacpxNP.jpg

Despite not downloading the datapacks, I didn't find much of an issue with the loading times so far either.

Edited by Jedi

I'm having a huge issue trying to 20% complete the forest area so I can start chapter 6. Someone please help.

When you place a probe, the hexagons appear. That's only part of surveying. The other part is doing what appears inside the hexagons. For instance, discovering landmarks will get you survey points. Defeating Tyrants in hexagons that show them will also increase survey.

If the probe sites are too high levelled for you, then level mechanical up with Eleanora.

i'm guessing the multiplayer is only online?

I don't think I know anyone IRL who owns a Wii U.

Yes but there are two different online systems.

The first one is the squad system where you're pitched into a lobby of 32 players. You don't really play against or co-op with each other in the same maps but you can send miiverse messages, trade items and listen to what other players are currently doing, updates and you can get benefits and a couple of rewards for doing so. Think of this as a spotpass feature.

The second one is actual missions where someone creates a lobby with up to 4 players and 3 others can join together in a monster hunter style lobby and co-op together fun. However these are difficult and the first mission is literally all four of you battling a level 60 monster.

Edited by kingddd