I just think the dark mages should be more covered?

alguidrag

Most female designs in this game are pretty skimpy. If the male mages, who don't need protection, weren't skimpy, I'd be calling foul.

I still don't see why they need to be in hot pants and mesh, but the male enemy Dark Mage design is really attractive.

I think the dark mages in Nohr would be freezing. Odin comes in when you're playing a freakin' snow map, and the entire front of his outfit is missing!

Maybe casting spells creates a magical backlash on the wielder that causes their body temperature to rise, forcing them to wear as little as possible to help cool down their steaming abs Edited by gayserbeam

I like them because they're otrageous and didn't chicken out on the male design and made them as skimpy as the female one (maybe a little less skimpy but whathever).

I still prefer my cultists with heavy robes though.

I do dislike that female knights and cavs and etc now have strategic holes for quickies, like in Awakening. It's dumb, it's ugly, it's shameless.

Well, I'm trash who likes the FE14 dark mage outfits because of how scantily clad these grown men are while they run around in the snow.

However, I don't like them when it comes to practicality. The Plegian dark mage outfits made sense. They were worn in the desert, and I don't know about you guys, but there is no way in hell I'm wearing heavy robes while fighting in the desert. Remember Henry? He came in when your group was in Carrion Isle, which was a little higher north. He wears a cute lil sweater instead of the translucent nylon shirt the other dark mages wear.

I think the dark mages in Nohr would be freezing. Odin comes in when you're playing a freakin' snow map, and the entire front of his outfit is missing!

Honestly, the Plegian mage outfit is downright epic in how unsuited for a desert environment it is. A full body stocking offers absolutely no protection against the merciless desert sun and no protection against the deadly cold of the night. It's even black in order to absorb as much heat as possible. And needless to say, all that metal is going to absorb heat like crazy as well, and they wear it around their crotch of all things.

And I can't imagine that walking through sand in high heels is a good idea, and all that sweat you create during the day is probably going to do all kinds of nasty things to those kind of clothes. I'd rather take the heavy robes.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm a lot more bothered by cav and knight than some squishy defenseless mages whose entire aesthetic is designed around it, anyway. The designs are internally consistent and I'm actually kinda impressed about how well it puts together, even if I would never wear it in a million years.

Better to have a consistent and aesthetic-focused design based off of equal opportunity fanservice and not pretending to be something it's not than a mostly practical-looking design and then you look down and the pants are missing.

I can't speak for FE14 (I think they don't have great defense in this game, at least) but in FE13 they had a crapton of defense and revealing as fuck outfits which didn't make any sense to me anyways.

But yeah, I'm with you on the second part.

I just want more variation amongst character outfits. How cool would it be if there were some characters who were dark mage and sorcerer outfits similar to what we had in Fates, but there were other dark mages and sorcerers who wore robes similar to the FE6-8 styles? For example, RD did a pretty good job of giving characters of the same class differentiated outfits, where they had a similar "style" but looked different enough. Like the RD sages, who looked very different but had a similar style. It would make the characters feel more unique than just "generic costume".

That'd be the best, of course. Don't they have a few unique outfits in the games, though? At least, from what I can remember. They all had unique MAP sprites anyways (except for Robin, not sure how FE14 does things), clearly more reason to turn the animations off.

I can't speak for FE14 (I think they don't have great defense in this game, at least) but in FE13 they had a crapton of defense and revealing as fuck outfits which didn't make any sense to me anyways.

But yeah, I'm with you on the second part.

They're back to being squishy mage in 14, and 13s were pretty uninspiring anyway (I find 13's designs a lot less aesthetically striking than 14 as a whole, but you know how I design shit, it's bling turned up to 11 in there)

DM/Sorc have like, no defense. Dark Knight does, but Dark knight is pretty well-armored.

Except FemDK still have the dumb panty shot thing urrrrgh

That'd be the best, of course. Don't they have a few unique outfits in the games, though? At least, from what I can remember. They all had unique MAP sprites anyways (except for Robin, not sure how FE14 does things), clearly more reason to turn the animations off.

They do, sometimes, but the majority of even the character designs too closely conform to class designs, and feel like from the head down, the characters are mostly just wearing recolored versions of the class outfit without too much variation. Ryouma and Sumeragi's Trueblade has quite a bit of differences from generic Trueblade, and Camilla and Elise both deviate drastically from their base class as well, but Hinoka and Takumi's outfit just has a scarf more than the average peg and archer outfit, + their colors.

I think Marx is fairly similar to gen Paladin other than his A+ colors as well but i haven't examined paladin hard enough to really analyze the differences

Edited by Thor Odinson

For me at least, I do not mind the dark mages lack of cover too much. Yes I think it is blatant fan service (both male and female variants) but even the tankiest dark mage's physical defense pales in comparison to a true physical tank like a knight or general. It would make sense that they use some sort of spell to cast a barrier to protect themselves from physical harm, and in their hubris, they think that they can wander through a battlefield wearing only their robes, or in the case of fates, their lingerie. Who knows, perhaps that is part of their plan, to confuse and distract their foes with their attractive forms before striking them down. The same logic can apply to the female spell-caster model used by Shara and Orochi.

You know what I personally don't like? I find the lack of pants on cavaliers, pegasus knights and the like a lot more... uncomfortable. Fan-service for the scenes when they aren't on their mounts sure, but as someone who has ridden a horse for a distance, unless you are wearing some thick pants, your legs and hind-quarters will be incredibly sore and chafe like nothing else. Neither or which helps you on the battlefield.

EDITS: as per usual, fixing my spelling and grammar.

Edited by warchiefwilliams

Most female designs in this game are pretty skimpy. If the male mages, who don't need protection, weren't skimpy, I'd be calling foul.

I still don't see why they need to be in hot pants and mesh, but the male enemy Dark Mage design is really attractive.

Maybe casting spells creates a magical backlash on the wielder that causes their body temperature to rise, forcing them to wear as little as possible to help cool down their steaming abs

I agree, it's a nice balance as opposed to the open butts of the female Cavalier/Paladin/Great Knight outfits.

I'm so attracted to the default male enemy dark mage you have no idea.. Who Is He. Why is he so hot. These are the questions I need answered.

I'm crying btw. Now I can't stop thinking about Odin's abs, as if I wasn't already thinking about them too much anyway.

Honestly, the Plegian mage outfit is downright epic in how unsuited for a desert environment it is. A full body stocking offers absolutely no protection against the merciless desert sun and no protection against the deadly cold of the night. It's even black in order to absorb as much heat as possible. And needless to say, all that metal is going to absorb heat like crazy as well, and they wear it around their crotch of all things.

And I can't imagine that walking through sand in high heels is a good idea, and all that sweat you create during the day is probably going to do all kinds of nasty things to those kind of clothes. I'd rather take the heavy robes.

Hm, totally didn't think about that at all! I honestly have no idea what I'd prefer now.... The sorcerer outfits in Awakening were god-awful, with weird open crotches for the women's outfits... It's funny how an entire class tree is basically fanservice.

Well, I'm trash who likes the FE14 dark mage outfits because of how scantily clad these grown men are while they run around in the snow.

#me

I like them because they're otrageous and didn't chicken out on the male design and made them as skimpy as the female one (maybe a little less skimpy but whathever).

I still prefer my cultists with heavy robes though.

I do dislike that female knights and cavs and etc now have strategic holes for quickies, like in Awakening. It's dumb, it's ugly, it's shameless.

Also me. I dont mind the mage/dark mage outfits being a bit scantily. Especially if the dudes are just as much so. But the Cavs and knights are a bit redonkulous and its like "Why is Elfie wearing what looks like assless chaps?"

I personally can't stand the sorcerer designs, GBA druids are my favorite class based on their aesthetic alone and the new flashy skin showing dark mages bother me. Sorcerers/Druids should be mysterious and a little creepy in my opinion.

I agree that when I think of dark mages, scantily clad men and women don't come to mind. The robes fit the aesthetic; however, they're not exactly memorable. Its just a general idea, ya know? They're generic. I wouldn't look at them in a video game, in recent times, and be able to link them to the source later on. On the other hand, as inappropriate and nonsensical as they are, I can step away from Fates' and Awakening's dark mages, see them out of context, and be able to link them to FE.

Of course, yeah, they should be more covered. They can have clothes on and still look memorable, lol.

IMO druids were the most memorable class in the GBA games

Really, I just think women in general should be covered up more. None of these characters are choosing to be dressed this way. They don't have any agency. Men designed them to dress slutty.

They don't have agency because they don't exist.

It's a common trope that Dark = Slutty for both Genders. Usually as an excuse to have women wear less, at least Fates is having men wear less to in that same type of profession,

Personally I miss the old covered up hooded versions that weren't so revealing.

Really, I just think women in general should be covered up more. None of these characters are choosing to be dressed this way. They don't have any agency. Men designed them to dress slutty.

Or you could just not care because it's a video game.