King of Fighters General Thread

Tryhard

Couldn't see a King of Fighters general thread so I thought I had to remedy that. I was a big fan of the old KoF games, especially 2002 UM.

There's also King of Fighters XIV, which I'm very... skeptical about. SNK really haven't done anything of note in a while and this game got revealed in just a... bad state to say the least. The game has been improving every time it has come back up though, and it is now saying that there is going to be 50 launch characters, which is pretty impressive compared to recent fighters. This thread doesn't necessarily need to be about KoF14, but I'll post some information I've come across but I've not been exactly keeping up. If they are going to keep improving it, I believe they showed it way too early. I'll admit, the fact that is looking a lot better than what it originally did has made me interested, though.

Here's the latest trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it.

lol thumbnail

There was a possible leaked roster that seems to have some credence to it. Here is the link and paste in the spoiler:
http://nichegamer.com/2015/11/rumor-the-king-of-fighters-xiv-roster-might-have-been-completely-leaked/

• China Team: 恶魇青年 (?), 糖葫芦 (Tung Fu Rue), 枕头少年 (?)
  • Japan Team: 草蕹京 (Kyo Kusanagi), 二阶堂红丸 (Benimaru Nikaido), 大门五郎 (Goro Daimon)
  • Fatal Fury Team: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, 东丈 (Joe Higashi)
  • Art of Fighting Team: 坂崎良 (Ryo Sakazaki), Robert Garcia, 坂崎百合 (Yuri Sakazaki)
  • K’ Team: K’, Maxima, Kula Diamond
  • Kim Team: 金家藩 (Kim Kaphwan), 他师父 (Kim’s Master), 他师母 (Kim’s Wife)
  • Criminal Team: 犯人陈 (Prisoner Chang Koehan), 犯人蔡 (Prisoner Choi Bounge), 新人囚犯 (Newcomer Prisoner)
  • Women Fighters Team: 不知火舞 (Mai Shiranui), King, Alice
  • Ikari Team: Ralf Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern
  • Psycho Soldier Team: Athena Asamiya, 椎拳崇 (Sie Kensou), 摸元斋 (Chin Gentsai)
  • Yagami Team: 八神庵 (Iori Yagami), Mature, Vice
  • Mexico Team: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc
  • Palace Wan Team: 脸谱女 (Acting Mask Girl), 电属性少女歌手 (Teenage Girl Singer with Electric Element), 神秘兜帽男 (Mysterious Hooded Man)
  • South Town Team: Geese Howard, Billy Kane, 营家新人 (?)
  • South America Team: 巴西忍者 (Brazilian Ninja), 残障拳击手 (Handicap Boxer), 拉丁美女 (Pretty Latin Girl)
  • Alternate World Team: 娜可露露 (Nakoruru), Love Heart, 龙娘 (Mui Mui)
  • Mid-boss: 俄罗斯富豪 (Russian Billionaire)
  • Final Boss: 人形态非人类物种 (Non-Human Species)

Current confirmed characters:

• Kyo Kusanagi
  • Iori Yagami
  • Chang Koehan
  • Leona Heidern
  • Andy Bogard
  • King
  • Kula Diamond
  • Ralf Jones
  • Billy Kane
  • Angel
Edited by Tryhard

I'm a big fan of the Fatal Fury games and the older KoF, I haven't played many of the newer KoF games sadly, but I'll keep an eye on this, interesting that Terry Bogard isn't in that lineup, but Andy is, usually the other way around.

Edited by Jedi

I was a big fan of the old KoF games, especially 2002 UM.

Do you go to any locals/do you have the game on Steam? The netcode is kinda meh but its sort of workable if you're in the same country.

(fight me)

Edited by Irysa

The roster seems to be very...Kim's wife?

I don't know how legit that leaked list is to begin with, considering the only real implications so far were the high amount of characters announced and prisoner Chang and Angel not exactly being the most common guesses, but if Kim's wife is meant to be a new character, makes me wonder if they wanted to have May Lee but didn't because her voice actor passed away. I've also heard that it's meant to be Kim's Master's wife, but I don't know how true that is.

I also consider Ramon being there but no Vanessa (as far as I can see?) a personal affront to me.

Do you go to any locals/do you have the game on Steam? The netcode is kinda meh but its sort of workable if you're in the same country.

(fight me)

I don't have the game on Steam, though I was going to buy it, but I play these games casually and I'm pretty terrible at fighting games. I still enjoy playing them.

Some actual gameplay from a demo:

Edited by Tryhard

Thankfully Ralf isn't looking as hulking as he did for the past two games

and it's cool to see Kyo back to his rekka moveset

finally got used to it <x<

Edited by Trisitei

No Chizuru on that list :(

Joking aside, it looks to play pretty well so far. Seems to be about as fast as KOF13 and that game played at a pretty good speed.

The only thing I can complain about are the graphics. I hope it's early because those character models look pretty low poly for a PS4 game.

Also, It's a shame they forwent sprites in favor of 3D models. It's understandable given their limitations but SNK has always made gorgeous sprite art so it will be missed.

In terms of the profits from the sprite-based style, SNK really did not do well off KoF12 and KoF13, the sprite style was expensive and I believe it led to their acquisition in March 2015.

It makes the most financial sense that they went with 3d models for this, but I also agree that it really doesn't feel like a PS4 game. If they put more effort into it, I think it would be anticipated as one of the best recent fighting games considering it looks like it plays like KoF13. Then again, I think KoF13 should have been popular but that didn't really turn out to be the case. Alas, they showed it in a really bad state and now the stigma it will get is "lol ps2 game".

It's certainly not going to be the prettiest PS4 game, but its release date is currently just 2016 so I can't really tell how it will look, since there have been noticeable improvements between trailers.

Okay but... K' when? :C

If the supposed leaked list is to be correct, he should be in along with Maxima and Kula just like KoF13.

I'm crying that Vanessa isn't even on that leak. There's a presumably new boxer character instead.

Edited by Tryhard

KOF12 seemed to poison the well for the franchise. I liked it but I remember it being critically panned for how small the roster was(I think it was because they created a brand new game engine?). It got a bad reputation and when KOF13 addessed the complaints, people had already moved on so it didn't sell as a result. It also wasn't advertised that well if I recall.

If it's a late 2016 release date they might be able to get the graphics to look satisfactory. Graphics aren't a dealbreaker for me but if it's gonna sell it needs to look better.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy we're even getting another KOF game. I thought the series was done after 13.

You know...the animation is kinda weird. It lacks power of decisive movements.

That's something I noticed as well. The animations are missing the impact the earlier games had.

I imagine that's relatively easy to fix though.

Edited by Pete Rose: Baseball Legend

Right around the time I started at University I got a copy of KoF '98 for my dreamcast. It was a passable port, and I basically got a dreamcast fight club going in my dorm (though Soul Calibur and MvC 2 were the bigger hits). I thought '99 and 2000 introduced some really great characters, even if I hated the new striker mechanic, and to this day I don't know what they have against Vanessa. Just make a boxer team already, SNK!!! Heavy D, Vanessa, Rick Strowd. Done! It's not that hard! Nobody gives a shit about Lucky Glauber OR Brian Battler, so keep the USA sports team in the internment camp where all your abandoned characters go (like poor Adelheid), and make a boxing team. You can have that idea for free!

Ahem. I also think KoF13 will go down in history as an underappreciated masterpiece whose chances at big commercial success were scuttled by its mess of a predecessor, KoF12. My top 3 in terms of balance and fun are (in no particular order) '98, 2k2, and 13. The new one has me really worried, but I suppose it's at least a fighting game, and not another pachinko machine. Time will reveal all eventually, I suppose.