Things You Like That Nobody Else/Not Many Other People Like

Randoman

If we're talking about SF as " everyone else", my answers would be: Sex, alcohol (specifically beer and my prized single malt scotch collection) and minor drugs (farthest I've gone is cocaine and LSD but I stop there).

Are you joking

please be joking

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to inform you of this, but there are SF members who have had sex.

Aside from my brother, I am the only person I know who has read a single book in the Bazil Broketail series.

uh actually the minor drugs portion

Cocaine is not a minor drug. There are minor drugs. That's not one of them. Also, why would anyone ever broadcast that to the entire world?

also alcohol is bad but w/e

uh actually the minor drugs portion

Cocaine is not a minor drug. There are minor drugs. That's not one of them. Also, why would anyone ever broadcast that to the entire world?

also alcohol is bad but w/e

Cocaine's fine as long as you're not using it more than once every couple of months. LSD is great for raves. Marijuana and hash are two of my best friends. Alcohol is just great in general.

Sorry, I live a life. I don't spend 16 hours a day behind a computer. More like 10 hours a day in a professional kitchen.

Let me put it this way. You're 15 years old, kid (younger than my youngest sister). You're still in high school. I'm 24. I have a full time job, bills, rent and friends to hang out with. When you mature, you'll realize that most of the world acts like me rather than you.

Edited by Jim Moriarty

Cocaine's fine as long as you're not using it more than once every couple of months. LSD is great for raves. Marijuana and hash are two of my best friends. Alcohol is just great in general.

Sorry, I live a life. I don't spend 16 hours a day behind a computer. More like 10 hours a day in a professional kitchen.

Let me put it this way. You're 15 years old, kid (younger than my youngest sister). You're still in high school. I'm 24. I have a full time job, bills, rent and friends to hang out with. When you mature, you'll realize that most of the world acts like me rather than you.

Actually, it is possible (though obviously not common enough to stop its use) for cocaine to cause permanent brain damage/seizures, kidney failure, or cardiac arrest from any single use, even in people with no history of neurological, renal, or cardiac disease. And each use definitely fucks with your brain chemistry (cells are encouraged to eliminate the "excess" neurotransmitter receptor sites, particularly for dopamine, which can result in permanent or at least long-term impairment of positive affect--aka "feeling happy/content.") Avoiding repeat use is, of course, a good way to reduce the risk of negative symptoms, but they can occur even without addiction behavior fuelling the proverbial fire.

LSD is harder to judge because, despite its alleged therapeutic uses in the 50s and 60s, very little is actually known about how it works, what it does, or what specific effects it can have. Lingering or even permanent hallucinatory and psychotic symptoms are not unknown (they even have a scientific term for it now: "hallucinogen-persisting perception disorder"). As with cocaine, it is known to influence a variety of neurotransmitters, primarily serotonin. Unlike cocaine, though, I've seen no evidence that it damages receptor sites on the long-term, though it does cause a temporary (one- to two-week) reduction of the brain's normal serotonin levels from a single use, which could result in longer-term damage if indulged repeatedly. Certainly, as with all hallucinogenics, the distortion of sensory data and thus impaired ability to react to external stimuli can present a secondary risk (that is, it's not the drug that kills you, it's the stupid things you do while high that can kill you), though recreational doses are rarely, if ever, as bad as that which produced the infamous "Bicycle Day."

Technically, marijuana and hashish are the same thing--at least, they're "the same" in the sense that, say, a strong mixed drink and Everclear-style highly distilled alcohol are the same. The latter is merely a more concentrated form of the stuff that makes the former psychoactive. Smoking weed has most of the same issues as smoking tabacco (excluding nicotine, which AFAIK cannabis lacks)--it contains higher quantities of tar, for example, which is one of the major contributors to lung diseases caused by tobacco smoke. In general, though, its medical negative effects are either poorly understood, not actually borne out by medical studies, or sufficiently long-term that occasional use will not be a great risk. I can't speak as to the medical effects (positive or negative) of hash, as I know very little about it, other than its origin (dried resin grains from female cannabis sativa buds).

Alcohol has plenty of well-known dangers behind it, not least of which the distortion of behavior (including drunk driving and the deaths/injuries thereof) it causes. But it also has the specter of Prohibition, which demonstrated that trying to take it away from the general public, at least for the foreseeable future, is a fool's errand.

As for the rest of your statements: other than the use of marijuana and alcohol, no, most people are not "act[ing] like you," at least not in the US. Studies indicate only 14% of US adults have tried cocaine, for example, which would indicate that 6 out of 7 people don't "act like you." And if you're 24, then I'm older than you are--and I've only consumed alcohol, and even that relatively infrequently. It's true that absolutist attitudes about the use of various substances--narcotic and otherwise--are on the decline, but lacking an absolutist stance is neither necessarily a mark of maturity, nor is it a sign that one does (nor should) partake thereof.

Edit:

As for my own "things I like that few/nobody else does," conlangery. It always surprises me how confused/amazed people are by the concept of inventing a language.

Edited by amiabletemplar

Considering the people around me , I am a Nintendo , anime , video gaming nerd , not to mention spending my time watching LPs. Considering people all over the world , old English and old cartoon animation fascinate me.

Considering the people around me , I am a Nintendo , anime , video gaming nerd , not to mention spending my time watching LPs. Considering people all over the world , old English and old cartoon animation fascinate me.

I remember, back in my sophomore year English class in high school, we were studying European literature and spent a week or two on Beowulf. We listened to a section read in the original Old English--which was, of course, total gibberish. Except that there was one single word--I can't for the life of me remember what it was, this was over a decade ago now--that was perfectly clear. I want to say it was something ultra simple, like "what" or "that," but whether that's memory or fabrication is impossible to say at this point. But I understood it, in a sea of incomprehensibility. That was part of what got me started on really learning about how languages form (the other part being, of course, J.R.R. Tolkien).

Not sure if not many people like them (how am I supposed to know?), but the Wheel of Time series iirc are considered badly written and most people have issues with the characters' personality, whereas I have no issues with it (well, save for the slow pace in the books).

I never thought the characters were particularly badly written, they're just a little flat is all. Really, the slow pace can be blamed there, too--it takes 2-3 books for any given character to get any amount of meaningful character development. So over the course of the like, 9 books I've read (or whatever it is), you do see them change, it's just small changes. Rand in particular gets some actual character development, which accelerates the further you get into the series.

Though for me, I liked it because of all the backstory. I'm a huge sucker for a well-written setting, even if the story isn't anything to write home about. Mass Effect did that to me. I was pissed as hell about the ME3 ending, but I still like most of the grand-scale setting concepts they employed. Particularly on the science end. (Any game that is sufficiently scientifically literate to correctly use Cherenkov radiation in its fictional scientific theories is going to win my heart bigtime.)

Edited by amiabletemplar

it's more like I don't actively meet people irl in the Philippines that are fans of comics. Comic book movies/shows sure, but no comics themselves.

granted SF has several, including Lumi, Starman, Frosty, and Jedi (to an extent).

Kinda funny considering that the nearest comic book shop is like miles away from me.

Oh well, at least having a Digital Comic Book Reader is something... If not, I'll just research like a mad scientist to know currently what's up with that character.

Sucks to find out that I rarely bump into any Cap fans here in my parts; finding any birds of the same feather is a fiddly nightmare.

EDIT: On Topic...

Finding out that someone else plays the same game as you... I AM LOOKING AT YOU SHARPY!

Edited by Bottom Tier Loser

Star Wars Episode I

You heard me.

Episode I was at least fun, and I actually enjoyed watching it. It's nothing compared to the original trilogy of course, but I don't regret seeing it.

Could be worse. Could be Episode II. Or the Star Wars Holiday Special

Sonic the Hedgehog 06, it's a bad game dammit, but it's so bad that you play it because you want to see what'll break next and since it breaks in entertaining ways(Like Silver throwing Sonic to FRIGGIN SPACE), I kind of enjoy watching this happen.

I love Final Fantasy 2 despite it being flawed af

Unironic love for the Super Mario Bros film, right here.

Fuck I remember going to my old video store before it closed down and seeing that movie on one of the shelves

Of course I decided not to get it and instead get Godzilla 1998 lmao

Speaking of which, I quite enjoyed Godzilla 1998; not the best movie ever, but it was really enjoyable

Spicy food. I would imagine this isn't something to be considered in this topic, but so many people I meet say they don't like it I think it counts mentioning.

Star Wars 1. I was young, and I don't remember having watched any other Star Wars much before that one.

FFXII.