Please help the Gamefaqs contest!

Snowy_One

And? even if it wins does that means anything to you personally? That's nothing more than a label from GameFAQs.

That wasn't what I was saying, because my previous statement pretty much implied that I don't give a shit what they label it as or what people like as their favourite game, just that I couldn't understand it myself.

You're really not getting it. I don't care how many people vote against/for it in a redundant and pointless gamefaqs poll.

If people want to explain why they like Undertale so much in regards to my throwaway comment, they could do so and I would have no problem with that. Just like if I explained why I liked my favourite games. There was nothing wrong with what I said (unless you get offended by someone saying that they didn't like a game you like and they don't understand why people like it, I see no issue with this), so I don't know why you're getting the wrong impression.

Edited by Tryhard

the only time I got unironically mad at the contest was when Xenoblade lost to DKC2

like, my final four would probably be xenoblade, earthbound, wind waker, and undertale or something like kid Icarus uprising

but alas

Edited by Freyjadour

Ah, okay then. Apologies.

Snowy_One said that he found it "unfair" but there is nothing that prevents people from getting rallied against Undertale.

That's why I said it was "fair".

That whole "Anything but Undertale" stuff he tries to get us into for example.

Edited by Naughx

Snowy_One said that he found it "unfair" but there is nothing that prevents people from getting rallied against Undertale.

That's why I said it was "fair".

To be honest, if he's right about people using bots to dupe votes and improperly raise vote numbers, then yeah that part is unfair if he's referring to that. At the same time, I have a hard time seeing how to prove people are doing this.

once again questionable if you should care (probably not) but yeah

Edited by Tryhard

Purely for Tryhard's sake: I personally enjoyed Undertale more than any of the games it went up against, and also have fonder lasting memories of it, but if you were to actually ask me to state my position on this very important topic, I would have honestly voted for it as "somehow more exemplary/affecting in any 'objective' analysis of game design" only over Fallout 3 and ME3 (which in a Final Analysis I think were ehhhhhokay, and like well enough in spite of myself, respectively). I would indeed guess there's likely a lot of viral, sketchy voting for it based on the less-than-totally-honest evaluations of silly fans, in this polling contest which is by design and in practice one of the most open and easily-gamed polling contests ever yearly produced (pretty much exclusively by silly fans), yes.

But then Skies of Arcadia lost in the first round to Twilight Princess, Mega Man X lost to FFX, and neither Gitaroo Man, EBA nor Ouendan were even in the running, so obviously this was never a truly right-headed contest concerning the actual best game ever in the first place, was it

Edited by Rehab

Without really going into spoilers - the one really defining thing about Undertale was how it genuinely punished you for evil which so fucking many games fail to do. Spec Ops did, but there was no real alternative. Its treatment of... I dunno, death as something to care about in games but also the fact that you didn't have to kill anyone is probably what it's going to be remembered for.

What is the contest actually voting for? What has had the most impact, or what is the best today? Presumably not the latter, since several games are there that predate quality-of-life improvements that came later in a series (Pokemon RBY, I think, is up there). What was best at the time, maybe? But how many GameFAQsers were even sentient back when half this stuff came out?

Either way unironically caring about a video game popularity contest is hilarious and the amount of salt that has come after Undertale won a couple rounds has made it all worth it.

Since I don't want to be negative and just talk about what I didn't like, I'll give you guys this at least, thanks for sharing your opinions.

I got an example of a game that I would compare to Undertale's no-fighting RPG style, Ultima IV (or 4): Quest of the Avatar. This is probably one of the only other games where the primary concern of the game is about the betterment into a paragon of good where there is no final boss or looming evil to face. While you're still allowed to kill enemies and the game won't necessarily have a "bad route" for you to go through like Undertale, doing things like killing fleeing enemies is considered detrimental to Justice, and so directly goes against the main goal of the game. Stealing penalizes the player, as it goes against Honesty. Some even worked together against each other, such as Valor representing the defeat of enemies and not fleeing in combat, yet going against the aforementioned Justice virtue. Mastery of Eight Virtues was the goal of the game in order to ascend to becoming the Avatar.

It's not exactly the same because you still kill things and get loot, but it had a lot more depth to it than other games around that time (or since) and that game came out in 1985! So even though there was only technically "one way to win" the game did acknowledge wrongdoing in the context of the virtues and the player had choice to follow them or not.

It actually makes me wonder if Ultima 4 was inspiration for Undertale along with Earthbound considering the Seven Traits/Souls could be seen as a correlation to the Eight Virtues from Ultima.

Here's a comparison of Ultima 4 - Undertale in terms of the above:

Honesty - Integrity

Compassion - Kindness

Valor - Bravery

Justice - Justice

Honor

Sacrifice - Perseverance

Spirituality - Determination (in terms of how Undertale explains that it is "is a force assumed to be possessed naturally by humans due to the sheer strength of their souls."

Humility - Patience

It may just be coincidence as certain ones aren't exact (Sacrifice & Perseverance and Humility and Patience, for example) but that is kinda strange, even if it is seven vs eight. Anyway, I'm just rambling. it's early morning and i haven't got much sleep and i'm delusional

I think we should want more games like Undertale, Spec Ops and Ultima 4 that have ethical depth. So I think Undertale is a good game, but some of ya'll like it too fucking much I do have some issues with it, I won't get into them like I said.

One thing that I'm not sure how true is that any amount of self-defense in Undertale may lead the other creatures to dislike you. I've really not seen (or played) enough of the game to tell, but I don't particularly like that choice of design. I know that you have the option of going true pacifist, neutral, etc, but that sort of moral quandary seems... flawed to me, at least. What do you guys think about this? Is this even true or am I just misinformed?

I think there's actually a fair amount of subtext in Undertale and it's all very interesting. Even if I hated everything else about the game, this remains true: the music is effing good.

What is the contest actually voting for? What has had the most impact, or what is the best today? Presumably not the latter, since several games are there that predate quality-of-life improvements that came later in a series (Pokemon RBY, I think, is up there). What was best at the time, maybe? But how many GameFAQsers were even sentient back when half this stuff came out?

I agree, I look at Diablo 2 which is undoubtedly my favourite game of all time and yet it loses to Goldeneye 007. If you tried to play them both now, Diablo 2 clearly has aged infinitely times more superior than Goldeneye, but if we're looking at the times they came out at... well, that's a different thing, and shit those games are both classics imo. and truth about a lot of gamefaqers (i don't know what to call them) not being old enough to even recognize a lot of these games. I'll fucking admit it, a lot of my favourite games are because of nostalgia but that shit is fucking goooood Edited by Tryhard

Since I don't want to be negative and just talk about what I didn't like, I'll give you guys this at least, thanks for sharing your opinions.

I got an example of a game that I would compare to Undertale's no-fighting RPG style, Ultima IV (or 4): Quest of the Avatar. This is probably one of the only other games where the primary concern of the game is about the betterment into a paragon of good where there is no final boss or looming evil to face. While you're still allowed to kill enemies and the game won't necessarily have a "bad route" for you to go through like Undertale, doing things like killing fleeing enemies is considered detrimental to Justice, and so directly goes against the main goal of the game. Stealing penalizes the player, as it goes against Honesty. Some even worked together against each other, such as Valor representing the defeat of enemies and not fleeing in combat, yet going against the aforementioned Justice virtue. Mastery of Eight Virtues was the goal of the game in order to ascend to becoming the Avatar.

It's not exactly the same because you still kill things and get loot, but it had a lot more depth to it than other games around that time (or since) and that game came out in 1985!

It actually makes me wonder if Ultima 4 was inspiration for Undertale along with Earthbound considering the Seven Traits/Souls could be seen as a correlation to the Eight Virtues from Ultima.

Here's a comparison of Ultima 4 - Undertale in terms of the above:

Honesty - Integrity

Compassion - Kindness

Valor - Bravery

Justice - Justice

Honor

Sacrifice - Perseverance

Spirituality - Determination (in terms of how Undertale explains that it is "is a force assumed to be possessed naturally by humans due to the sheer strength of their souls."

Humility - Patience

It may just be coincidence as certain ones aren't exact (Sacrifice & Perseverance and Humility and Patience, for example) but that is kinda strange, even if it is seven vs eight. Anyway, I'm just rambling. it's early morning and i haven't got much sleep and i'm delusional

I think we should want more games like Undertale, Spec Ops and Ultima 4 that have ethical depth. So I think Undertale is a good game, but some of ya'll like it too fucking much I do have some issues with it, I won't get into them like I said.

One thing that I'm not sure how true is that any amount of self-defense in Undertale may lead the other creatures to dislike you. I've really not seen (or played) enough of the game to tell, but I don't particularly like that choice of design. I know that you have the option of going true pacifist, neutral, etc, but that sort of moral quandary seems... flawed to me, at least. What do you guys think about this? Is this even true or am I just misinformed?

I think there's actually a fair amount of subtext in Undertale and it's all very interesting. Even if I hated everything else about the game, this remains true: the music is effing good.

I agree, I look at Diablo 2 which is undoubtedly my favourite game of all time and yet it loses to Goldeneye 007. If you tried to play them both now, Diablo 2 clearly has aged infinitely times more superior than Goldeneye, but if we're looking at the times they came out at... well, that's a different thing, and shit those games are both classics imo. and truth about a lot of gamefaqers (i don't know what to call them) not being old enough to even recognize a lot of these games. I'll fucking admit it, a lot of my favourite games are because of nostalgia but that shit is fucking goooood

[spoiler=This may rapidly become a discussion better suited to the actual Undertale topic but anyway][spoiler=This redundant spoiler is here to give a prompt to anybody who has remained on the fence regarding picking up Undertale, who may want to at least maybe possibly get the closest thing to the vaunted ~perfectly~unspoiled~Undertale~experience~ that they can get after reading this much already, to quit reading just in case]In a "get the 'best' (as in 'happiest) ending" sense and/or any completionist sense, Undertale could be considered to "punish" the player for meeting violence with violence in a way that would, in our world, probably be considered easily-justified self-defense by a good lot of people, yes.

Aside from the stipulation that FIGHTing one monster to death will require you to reset your playthrough if you want to get the happiest possible (and what is widely considered the "true" ending, though I personally think that's a poor label for a couple of reasons) (I think it's more like "the final floor of the pacifism rabbit hole"), though, I'm hesitant to call the way the game reacts to that situation "punishment." This is because (fuck I'm tired/not going to put words together as well as possible here, probably) the game is written to treat the player character's life and the life of each monster as both having intrinsic value. Not all the characters will hold it against the player if they do bring a monster down, because it was self defense, they might just acknowledge that it kinda sucks somebody had to die; and some others, who may have with very strong opinions on the matter, will look at what the player does more harshly, depending on their own character/personality. The many endings that fall under the "Neutral" label will generally show some divergence of opinion between the surviving characters on your actions, and/or detail how the characters are dealing with the aftermath of whatever happened.

I think this is at least possible to interpret as less "the game punishing you, the player, for your actions" and more "the game showing you what happens when you kill somebody. (what, did you think nobody noticed?)"

Also, I think it's word of god that the game was intended to be played multiple times just for the sake of seeing what happens when you do whatever, in a sense less along the lines of the game judging the player for their actions than "this is what happens, player, when you do this (some characters [and at this point real life people] will judge you for it)". (and I also remember the creator responding to questions of why he didn't put achievements into the game with "because I don't want to incentivize people playing any certain way(s) over any others," or something along the lines)

Put another way! There's at least possibility space for the player (getting into character a bit) to say, "you know what? Yeah it's sad that somebody ended up dying, but what I did was ultimately self-defense. All I wanted in the first place was to leave, and almost all of you were yourselves not just trying to keep me here, but kill me. So you know what? Fuck you. Got mine. I don't owe any of you shit." and just turn the game off

"Boom. Happy ending to me"

fuck this response is disorganized and groggy and kinda seizes on just one little portion of the post to reply to and also why am I saying this here?? but fuck if I typed it for nothing. also I should play Ultima IV, it sounds like

aight mate i'll hit you guys up in the relevant topic should i need expansion but thanks for the explanation

ultima 4 is fun but it's also kind of like playing fe1 and seeing where shit came from - clunky and now somewhat hard to play but fun for the novelty and the rather unique idea. i think i got it on gog.com for free when they were having a promotion

but yeah uh gamefaqs and stuff, the thing that truly matters

Edited by Tryhard

Football Manager should win the contest hands-down. It's not just a game, it's a genuine resource that professionals use.

not sure if serious or trolling

either way, football sucks

not sure if serious or trolling

either way, football sucks

... I'm not really sure either.

It unironically deserves note for how significant it has proven and for its sheer scope. It is not the best game ever made and GameFAQs nerds are almost certainly not going to acknowledge it for anything.