I found something strange

scorcher9009

I imported the Dancer animation from FE7 into FE8, and had the unit use magic, and it worked perfectly, but in FE7 when I tried doing the same exact thing, it didn't work, the game locked up at the end of the battle. It'd probably because FE8 handles animations slightly differently than FE7, which is not anything new. I just found it to be interesting.

I don't know much about romhacking to give you a solid answer, but I think it's because the dancer isn't set to repeat; if you attack once it plays fine, but it'll hang if you try to double.

If you DID double, then what likely happened is that the flag that tells the game about it being a dancer animation that shouldn't repeat and all wasn't applied properly to FE8, possibly due to a different term replacing it, or it not being compatible with fe8's syntax and being negated?

You're right, it did exactly as you said, but in FE7, the game just locks up no matter what at then end of a battle, and in FE8, the Dancer just can't double. I heard that in FE7, the Bard and Dancer animations don't have a "return to starting pose" script or something.

Edited by scorcher9009

Wait, it didn't freeze in FE8? Did the person attacking in FE8 actually have enough speed to double?

Tethys also freezes if she's using magic and doubles.

None of the dancer animations have a return to base command or whatever it is. (At least in 7/8, I dunno about Lalum, she actually does return to the starting frame in her animation IIRC.)

Edited by L95

I imported the Dancer animation from FE7 into FE8, and had the unit use magic, and it worked perfectly, but in FE7 when I tried doing the same exact thing, it didn't work, the game locked up at the end of the battle. It'd probably because FE8 handles animations slightly differently than FE7, which is not anything new. I just found it to be interesting.

Shouldn't this posted in the "Questions" section ?

Aside the "return" animation, I found Dancers in FE8 lock up also when they critical.

Are you sure the FE7 dancer/bard didn't critical ?

One could avoid this by turning custom battle animations on, and setting dancer to off, IIRC?

Priests and Clerics also cannot double. I remember in my age-old hack, making a staff that actually did damage. It worked fine...until the unit tried to double. Then the game was just like "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH wait a sec." Had to give the staff 20 weight to prevent that from happening. Which is a terrible thing to do lol.