Corrin/Kamui in Smash

Limstella

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Smash for 3DS has more sales than Smash for Wii U (cringe)

"(cringe)"

You have a problem with people who just want the main experience and don't care about some extra side modes/perfect controls/are strapped for cash and rather not buy a Wii U for whatever reason?

Some people seem to have this weird vendetta against the 3DS version when that version itself brought home the bacon (about 8 million sales to 3.5 million on the Wii U). I never knew people valued the Ice Climbers so much (though I'd argue that, due to the alterations that needed to be made to the playable stages in 8-player Smash, the mode was only added after their removal; thus, IC's would mean no 8-player smash).

At least the 3DS version's Classic Mode feels like a natural evolution of classic mode and not a random clusterfuck that the Wii U version's is, while Smash Run is actually enjoyable on its own while Smash Tour is dull no matter how you slice it.

at the very least the 3DS version has utility in that it lets us examine the raw data dumps much more easily than on Wii U, I think

Awakening isn't a sequel..... >_>

It's a well known fact that the 3DS was awful in 2011. It needed Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 to push sales. Remember this is the same console that had an $80 price cut within the first year of its release because it wasn't being sold. This was the time when people were poorly reviewing games that didn't use the 3D effect well or at all - now, people don't care.

And honestly, if you're banking most of your successful games on remakes, you're doing it wrong. This totally was the case in 2013.

Awakening is a sequel in the same way the games listed in Ragnell's post that are not remakes but part of a series are sequels. Zera is trying to invalidate Ragnell's point by claiming "Remakes and sequels don't count", and while you can make a case for remakes, not counting sequels is just stupid. They're new, different games and a lot of times they help build the install base since they're proven franchises.

I mean, Zera is arguing that Kid Icarus Uprising doesn't count as a game worthwhile playing on the 3DS because it's a sequel. I can't say I agree with that.

Doesn't invalidate the premise of "The good reviews helped, but Awakening sold because it was advertised highly and word of mouth was super positive, not because there was nothing else to play." Just because these games don't meet your arbitrary standards, doesn't mean that they suddenly don't exist and aren't worth taking into consideration.

Kid Icarus Uprising is a reboot. It's nothing like the original. Compare to Super Mario 3D Land, which has almost no original ideas at all.

3D Land is fine. It takes all of it's ideas from Super Mario Bros 3. It takes almost nothing from Galaxy or NSMB, just 3. Because 3 was so beloved, I would argue that 3D Land was justified.

It's similar to how NSMBU is a homage to World and 3D World is a homage to SMB2/USA. I'd also argue that the NSMB series tried to take from Mario 1 at the beginning, but eh.

3D Land is fine. It takes all of it's ideas from Super Mario Bros 3. It takes almost nothing from Galaxy or NSMB, just 3. Because 3 was so beloved, I would argue that 3D Land was justified.

It's similar to how NSMBU is a homage to World and 3D World is a homage to SMB2/USA. I'd also argue that the NSMB series tried to take from Mario 1 at the beginning, but eh.

Actually, 3D World contains elements from the entire Super Mario series and has many, many more original ideas than 3D Land or NSMBU.

https://youtu.be/1D-geFXZiZk?t=13m

Kid Icarus Uprising is a reboot. It's nothing like the original. Compare to Super Mario 3D Land, which has almost no original ideas at all.

Kid Icarus Uprising is not a reboot, the characters constantly reference the first game

the joke is that they've been way overdue a sequel

At least the 3DS version's Classic Mode feels like a natural evolution of classic mode and not a random clusterfuck that the Wii U version's is, while Smash Run is actually enjoyable on its own while Smash Tour is dull no matter how you slice it.

While I still consider the WiiU version to be the superior experience, I enjoy the single-player mode of the 3DS version more. How could anyone approve Smash Tour especially when compared to Smash Run?

Frankly, aside from the obvious screen size and controls, I prefer the 3DS version. I find the stages are simpler and I enjoy them more for that reason. Smash Run is also infinitely better than Smash Tour, and, to be totally honest, a lot of the Wii U modes are totally superfluous, though I'm a big fan of 8-player Smash.

Frankly, aside from the obvious screen size and controls, I prefer the 3DS version. I find the stages are simpler and I enjoy them more for that reason. Smash Run is also infinitely better than Smash Tour, and, to be totally honest, a lot of the Wii U modes are totally superfluous, though I'm a big fan of 8-player Smash.

True.

Only wish that we'd have a Subspace Emmissionary comeback.

Yeah, adventure mode needed to come back. They should have gotten voice acting and characters explaining, talking and whatnot during gameplay so Sakurai can avoid the whole "I don't like the cutscenes being uploaded to Youtube" matter. Kinda like they did with KI:U.

Edited by Great Geargia Gateway

Ugh, I hated Adventure Mode. It was a real slog. Especially the F-Zero stage. I did however enjoy Subspace. I thought the story was good and I'd love to see Shulk in another story.

I am really happy about Corrin though. Honestly, more than ever before. I would have only prefered Fiora or Bandana Dee (or phoenix wright), but Corrin looks super cool.

but not Phoenix Wright cool

Edited by Miss Kira

Did Marth's amiibo foreshadow Corrin being in smash

https://youtu.be/Q6-hx7_seK4?t=21s

if the video doesn't automaticly take you to the time stamp it's at 21 seconds in

This is going off the current english fan translation

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not

but I think it's kind of cool

if the video doesn't automaticly take you to the time stamp it's at 21 seconds in

Hahaha wow. That's just too perfect.

Yeah, adventure mode needed to come back. They should have gotten voice acting and characters explaining, talking and whatnot during gameplay so Sakurai can avoid the whole "I don't like the cutscenes being uploaded to Youtube" matter. Kinda like they did with KI:U.

I never liked that. Never. Whatever games you put out, it's gonna end up on the internet and possibly on Youtube! Sakurai could've just said he didn't want to do it in Smash 4 because he wanted to focus on other thing in the game more or something along those lines!

Ugh, I hated Adventure Mode. It was a real slog. Especially the F-Zero stage. I did however enjoy Subspace. I thought the story was good and I'd love to see Shulk in another story.

I am really happy about Corrin though. Honestly, more than ever before. I would have only prefered Fiora or Bandana Dee (or phoenix wright), but Corrin looks super cool.

but not Phoenix Wright cool

I liked both Adventure mode and Subspace, even the story was pretty alright in my book. Heck, if they made a new subspace similar to smashrun (without the powerups, but with the enemies and familiar places), I would've loved that so much!

Oh, and Corrin getting on board is pretty cool!

but DEFINITELY not Phoenix Wright cool :3

Intelligent Systems...Nintendo...you sneaky, lovable, sons of guns! :3

Edited by Busterman64

I never noticed how Female Kamui's legs are censored.

My English skills are limited but I don't think "censored" is the appropriate verb to use in order to describe the process of a character going through multiple designs.

Every playable character in Smash has their appearance differ from their design in their own series to at least some degree. The most notable case is probably Mega Man since they clearly based his Smash design on the sprites of his games instead of the official artwork, so his proportions are totally different.

And just talking about Fire Emblem, there would be Ike now having the symbol of the Greil Mercenaries on his cape. Ragnel was also made quite a bit larger and especially wider. With Marth, it's a lot more noticeable. None of his Smash designs come all that close to match any of his designs in his own series. And that chest plate he wears is a particular noticeable design element, as he has literally never worn something like that outside of his Smash designs. And yet this particular design element was always kept, despite him always getting a complete redesign for every Smash game,

It's not exactly unreasonable to guess that "censorship" is the reason for this particular redesign, especially with Sakurai complaining in on interview about having to meddle with Palutena's panties for the Japanese version in order to get an A rating from CERO. But that does in no way guarantee that this particular design change was made because of CERO and that it couldn't possibly be made for the same reason as all those other countless redesigns and tweaks which were simply done because the smash designers felt that the characters looked better that way.

Edited by BrightBow

• 3 weeks later...

Now that Corrin's almost here, how much do you guy's think opinion on Corrin's inclusion has changed outside SF? We know we're cool with it, but I remember everyone getting all up in arms over Corrin's initial announcement (and boy, that was the worst possible week for the internet to be filled with negativity).