Voice Acting Courtesy of Corrin In Smash

Uchu~

You guy do know that this was recorded for a quick trailer in the direct and chances are it didn't have as much attention in the voice direction as the game, which is in the footage used at E3 and the like, right?

Imo everyone sounds about right anyways, Xander sounds like a dude in his late 20s early 30s, Elise sounds like an 8 years old little girl, etcetc.

Yeah, it sounded about as awkward as the Robin/Lucina trailer, which is why I'm sure they'll sound better in the game.

With how good Awakening was with it, I find it hard to believe Nintendo would strike out on the VA'ing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M!Corrin's is a huge improvement. Ryoma sounds great. Sakura sounds a little too old, but I've gotten used to it and now I like it. Fem!Corrin's fine, something about it sounds off though. Xander's is a little too high, but Elise...oh man. She was awful. She definitely sounds older, but her acting was bad and the pitch of her voice made me wince every time she spoke. I REALLY hope that "he's MY brother!" isn't actually in the game.

Pretty sure they would have used the audio for the choice scene. No reason they wouldn't have, and that would've had as much direction as anything else in the game, making Xander's less than emotional delivery something to be miffed about for some.

Xander sounded very proper for the scene if you ask me, he sees himself as their older brother and is sure that the fact that they have lived as family (as much as the context allowed them) for all those years would've made it so there's already trust and confidence between them to calmly go ''Hey we are your familiy come on, you've known those other guys for literally three days, let's just go home and eat some cake after Garon menaces to kill you like three times''.

Voice acting works in many mysterious ways so who knwos what version we are going to hear in-game in two months.

I still think that his expression in the scene, as well as the original Japanese delivery (yes I know that sounds wanky af) don't fit the delivery of the English line. I suppose I'm more disappointed in the script than the actual voices. I don't have a problem with his 'higher' voice, but it sounded quite robotic. Even if he does have a subdued personality, his voice should still convey that as well as his stoicism. One of the biggest things about Xander's character, too, is that he is overwhelmingly driven by love for his family, and a very flat 'we are your family' doesn't really carry that same weight as 'come back' or even if more emphasis had been placed on 'WE'.

Elise has the same problem in that her line doesn't fit her expression or the tone of the scene, transforming the tone from pleading to bratty. Granted she does have moments like that in the game but this is the scene which defines the supposed premise of the game.

Elise's voice acting gives me Smash!Lucina vibes, in that she's acted in a way that comes off a lot worse then what the interpretation should be. Considering the script we saw at E3 as well as the line we do hear from her in the trailer, I personally think she's not supposed to be that bratty, but rather the trailer just poorly conveyed what the character should be like.

As for the others, they vary from OK to great for me just going by tone, so I'm fine with them.

I thought they all sounded pretty good except Elise. Elise's doesn't match her at all, delivery and personality-wise, but I'm just basing her voice with how she looks and not story stuff (two more months, UGH! D: ) Only issue I could raise with Xander's is his delivery, I think his voice matches him. We'll see how it all turns out in a few months but I'm not worried. :)

From what I can tell about Elise in-game, she definitely has a brattier side to her but it's not her dominant personality or defining trait.

As for the voices themselves … I'm just not used to them after playing the Japanese for so long. I'll hold off my opinion on whether they're bad or not until after I play the game myself in English.

Upon listening to them a few more times (curse you work, preventing me from watching smash directs) I think Ryoma and Sakura are spot on. Ryoma has the tough resolve and Sakura the soft concern appropriate for the situation. Marx and Elise are a definite miss with Elise sounding bratty and possessive and Marx sounding... douchey, for a lack of a better word.

"He's MY brother" and "WE'RE your family" completely butchers the feeling of the scene, particularly of the face shot of all the siblings next to each other. They are supposed to be worried and uncertain, so why do they sound like they showed up to claim a soccer ball? Way to pick up the Kamui and go home, just because you don't like the Hoshidan players.

I loved Sakura's voice! I liked Elise's too, although that first line didn't really match her facial expression and it was just really weird for her to say "he's MY brother" in that moment with that voice. Her other lines weren't really that great, either...

Ryoma's voice was cool, and both Kamui's voices were nice ~ As for Xander... it wasn't what I expected, but neither was his japanese voice, so I'm okay with it.

Go home, Nohrians, you're drunk

Go home, IS; you're drunk.

If only.

I find it ironic that everybody except M!Corrin sounded good in the E3 trailer, yet in the Smash one M!Corrin sounds spot-on while most everybody else sounds like they did a one-take over skype which is probably along the lines of what happened.

Edited by The DanMan

Kamui is an improvement. Ryouma sounds great. Sakura sounds a bit old for her age but is fine. Elise's line and delivery don't match her facial expression but I guess her voice still fits her personality? Marx sounding douchey is exactly what I thought of the moment I heard his voice...

Pretty sure they would have used the audio for the choice scene. No reason they wouldn't have, and that would've had as much direction as anything else in the game, making Xander's less than emotional delivery something to be miffed about for some.

Surprisingly enough, they don't seem to have done that. At least, not for the Japanese version. You can clearly tell that Sakura and Elise's lines were re-recorded, although Marx sounds the same. However, they're definitely the same voice actors and they don't sound much different. So, this should be taken as an expectation of what the voices might be like, but not exactly what the scene will be like.

in other words they might be different in the game but don't expect them to suddenly be good

Edited by maybe

I just hope the dialogue wasn't final. Everyone's actual acting was horrendous, in the scene where Corrin makes the choice no one had a tone of voice matching the expression they had. I just hope that was just put together quickly. God, I wanted to vomit, I hope Dual Auido is in the game.

It seemed as if they changed Elise's character completely but i could be wrong.

Also, Sakura sounded a LOT older than Elise.

That's probably because she shares VAs with Charlotte.

Edited by SalShich10N

This was disappointing. I hope to God that wasn't final. They sounded...so different and better in the old trailer. Are they even using the same people? Are we sure these are the VAs we will have in the localization?

Read this:

Surprisingly enough, they don't seem to have done that. At least, not for the Japanese version. You can clearly tell that Sakura and Elise's lines were re-recorded, although Marx sounds the same. However, they're definitely the same voice actors and they don't sound much different. So, this should be taken as an expectation of what the voices might be like, but not exactly what the scene will be like.

in other words they might be different in the game but don't expect them to suddenly be good

I found most of the voices fine; it was the delivery that reaked of "one take done over skype".

It's way too early to pass judgement.

Read this:

I found most of the voices fine; it was the delivery that reaked of "one take done over skype".

It's way too early to pass judgement.

Thanks.

I know what you mean. The actors sounded underprepared, to say the least, but I imagine it would at least be better in the sense that the scripted lines aren't as ridiculous.

"BIG BROTHER IS NOW BIG SISTER."

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

"THAT'S EVEN BETTER!"

Uh... thanks Elise. I'm glad I have such an... understanding sister, in the event I turn out to be a transgender.

The one line is very interesting actually as it's very diferent in the japanese and english versions for no real reason as they don't need to fit the lip flaps of the CG scene, in japanese Elise says a simple ''Big sister, so cool!'' or something along those lines, I think this level of changes is what we should pay attention to more than the delivery as that last thing was redone quickly just for this while the scrip probably had more though to it.

The one line is very interesting actually as it's very diferent in the japanese and english versions for no real reason as they don't need to fit the lip flaps of the CG scene, in japanese Elise says a simple ''Big sister, so cool!'' or something along those lines, I think this level of changes is what we should pay attention to more than the delivery as that last thing was redone quickly just for this while the scrip probably had more though to it.

On that note, were there any other major line changes between the two trailers? It sounds like everyone is at least somewhat in line with their characterization in the Japanese version, but I want to see if there were any other notable differences to note between them.