How hard is it?

Zev

So I'm thinking of starting my own FE8 hack, Can someone tell me how difficult it would be considering that the only thing I've hacked before is Firered. Are there sufficient tools that I can work with? Are there documentations that I can refer to when needed?

So I'm thinking of starting my own FE8 hack, Can someone tell me how difficult it would be considering that the only thing I've hacked before is Firered. Are there sufficient tools that I can work with? Are there documentations that I can refer to when needed?

There are plenty of tools and documentation to help you start ROM Hacking GBA FE

Said resources can be found here on SF (Resources page in this section) as well as on other sites like Youtube (Ghast/Archibald have good eventing tutorials) and FE universe (a site dedicated to solely FE ROM hacking)

IMO, FE Hacking is only hard if you're extremely lazy or can't stand the limitations of the system (for example, portraits can only have 16 colors)

Also, this is just a little tip: backup your ROM, in case you fuck something up.

Hacking is only as hard as you're willing to make it. Look into tools such as BwdYeti's map making tool/generator, Nightmare and its associated modules, etc.

Things only get complicated when you want to actually write new code, although there are resources available on things like that.

The hardest thing I can think of, since you've hacked roms before, is that if you don't already know how to do it, FE Maps will require a lot of getting used to. Pokemon maps (as well as many other games' maps) tend to be very simplistic and grid-based. FE Maps are more like complex works of art and there's a lot of rules to follow because the creators set the bar VERY high.

There are plenty of tools and documentation to help you start ROM Hacking GBA FE

Said resources can be found here on SF (Resources page in this section) as well as on other sites like Youtube (Ghast/Archibald have good eventing tutorials) and FE universe (a site dedicated to solely FE ROM hacking)

IMO, FE Hacking is only hard if you're extremely lazy or can't stand the limitations of the system (for example, portraits can only have 16 colors)

Also, this is just a little tip: backup your ROM, in case you fuck something up.

Pokemon has a lot of limitations as well so I'm used to it.. The only workarounds are ASM.. Is there a thread that focuses solely on ASM which i can insert or are they private?

The hardest thing I can think of, since you've hacked roms before, is that if you don't already know how to do it, FE Maps will require a lot of getting used to. Pokemon maps (as well as many other games' maps) tend to be very simplistic and grid-based. FE Maps are more like complex works of art and there's a lot of rules to follow because the creators set the bar VERY high.

I won't raise the bar though I'll do it for fun and release it when I'm done.. That's the plan at least :)

Hacking is only as hard as you're willing to make it. Look into tools such as BwdYeti's map making tool/generator, Nightmare and its associated modules, etc.

Things only get complicated when you want to actually write new code, although there are resources available on things like that.

I see! Thanks!

Edited by Zev

Pokemon has a lot of limitations as well so I'm used to it.. The only workarounds are ASM.. Is there a thread that focuses solely on ASM which i can insert or are they private?

There's a ton of threads about the documentation of ASM, ASM patches, etc

You can find them on here or on FE Universe

Edited by Pixelman

There's a ton of threads about the documentation of ASM, ASM patches, etc

You can find them on here or on FE Universe

That's good to know.. I'll try learning it during christmas..

Thanks for the replies!