FE7 Is there any way to fix overwriting?

Rickochet

I recently came to the conclusion that I've been overwriting stuff on my ROM. Long story short, I did not repoint my spell association nightmare module properly and ended up writing over parts of the ROM. I tried to fix this by repointing the original section plus the additional bottom portion. This did not seem to fix my problem as my game still freezes up and random black patches appear on maps that normally don't have them.

Is there anyway to fix this? I'd prefer it if I didn't have to start over as I put a lot of work into this.

I can't revert back to old backups as I repointed the spell association module about a year ago when I originally started on this project thinking I did it correct, until recently when it was brought to my attention that I did not. I don't have backups that far back.

I did try to copy vanilla hex from a fresh copy of FE7 to my edited ROM in an attempt to fix it but that didn't work out, hence the freezes and black patches still happening.

Edited by Rickochet

unless you can use old backups as reference as to what you overwrote, you're SOL, get in the habit of making one backup or more every day you work on your project and/or before or after you make significant changes at once

my own has over 100 backups, I bless myself each time I had to go back to fix something serious like what you've mentioned

I would say keep trying to fix it with your last statement by rechecking where you repointed in error, but I don't know the extent of what you possibly may have messed up

Edited by Lamia

i've been trying to fix my things and I'm not sure if I've done it or not. Is the animation used box supposed to be blanked out in the spell association modules like this?

https://gyazo.com/44f7cfed14605c6801fc5b9d6ca27007

https://gyazo.com/edf854884e1707ed12cf291572b15669

The top image is from my hack while the bottom is from a fresh FE7 ROM.