Optimal Pairings Ommiting Children

vanguard333

I pre-ordered the special edition of Fates last week. Ever since this game was released in Japan, I have been trying to determine optimal pairings. However, for my first few files, I have no interest at all in 2nd generation units (apart from the extra chapters), yet almost every topic I have found ends up talking about the 2nd gen units. Ignoring the kids and focusing only on the two units (guard stance stat boosts, how quickly they support, etc.), what are the best pairings in Hoshido/Nohr? The pairings I have already determined are the following:

Both:

Male Corrin x Azura

Hoshido:

Silas x Hinoka

Nohr:

Harold x Effie (not entirely sure about this pairing)

Just going off the top of my head for most of these. It is a mix of mutual benefits and foddering. Mostly in no particular order. Also from all the guys perspective since I'm lazy.

Both:

Kamui x Azura is only good since it gets a really good Shigure. Without taking kids into account then there isn't any reason to pair up with Azura over the Servants and Gunter since their personals are really good for him. Silas also works to an extent.

Hoshido:

Kaze x Rinka/Oboro

Baki x Oboro/Rinka/Orochi

Silas x Hinoka/Kagerou/Hana

Saizou x Kagerou/Hana/Setsuna

Yomi x Orochi/Sakura/Felicia

Asama x Kagerou/Hana/Setsuna

Hinata x Kagerou/Oboro/Hana

Takumi x Kagerou/Hana/Oboro

Nishiki x Oboro/Rinka/Kagerou

Ryoma x Kagerou/Rinka

Nohr:

Silas x Luna/Charlotte

Arthur x Camilla/Effie/Luna

Zero x Camilla/Belka/Nyx

Odin x Felicia/Elise/Nyx

Kaze x Belka/EffiePieri

Lazward x Luna/Charlotte/Pieri

Benoit x Camilla/Belka/Luna

Leo x Nyx/Felicia

Flannel x Charlotte/Camilla/Luna

Xander x Charlotte/Luna

I've heard good things about Charlotte x Marx and Odin x Elise.

As soon as we don't use children, pairing similar units are not always good by default.

For example, Charlotte is fast while Xander is slow but bulky. They are different units but they make a powerful Guard Stance.

Odin X Elise is just Odin and Elise. We don't consider Ophelia, so this pairing brings almost nothing good.

Kaze X Elise seems to be better: Kaze gets critical evade and Elise gets hit rate in their Attack Stance, and they are already good units before we pair them.

Edited by Tooru

Xander x Charlotte is fantastic. Even without Siegbert, a Pair-Up with Charlotte gives Xander everything he needs--massive STR and SPD, and they both get good classes out of the deal.

Mamui x Azura's main selling point is their fast support growth rate, since that means Azura spends less time in Pair-Up and more time refreshing. That alone makes it her best pairing. I'm not sure if I'd say it's Mamui's best pairing, but it's in the running, since the only one with a beneficial Personal he can marry is Felicia, who is probably better off with a magic user. They both appreciate the critical evade and avoid they get in Attack Stance.

Oboro is excellent for most units, but I keep hearing good things about her with Subaki. She patches up his SPD and gives him the excellent Breaking Sky to help with his offensive issues.

MU x First Servant is amazing, I would say the best pairing for MU. They come early so you can hit that S rank easily. Thier personal skills are amazing for pairup. Overall I would say Famui x Jacob is best because he has better reclass options (cavalier line), better S rank boosts, and you get Deere, a good staffbot. It also leaves Chapter 16 Felicia free for staffing or Leo pairup.

MU x First Servant is amazing, I would say the best pairing for MU. They come early so you can hit that S rank easily. Thier personal skills are amazing for pairup. Overall I would say Famui x Jacob is best because he has better reclass options (cavalier line), better S rank boosts, and you get Deere, a good staffbot. It also leaves Chapter 16 Felicia free for staffing or Leo pairup.

Bold: I see someone didn't read the title...

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Erm, what's this about getting critical evade in attack stance? Because I thought you didn't.

Attack-stance bonuses are non-generic now; they vary from character to character (although there are some groupings, so not everyone is unique, but not everyone has the same as everyone else now either).

Guard stance is worth +5 critical evasion.

Attack stance is with an amount depending on the character:

http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-characters/supports/support-bonus/

Attack-stance bonuses are non-generic now; they vary from character to character (although there are some groupings, so not everyone is unique, but not everyone has the same as everyone else now either).

Guard stance is worth +5 critical evasion.

Attack stance is with an amount depending on the character:

http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-characters/supports/support-bonus/

Oh, coolio. Thanks.

Flannel seems like an amazing pairup partner. He comes ready to premote. He is kinda like Charlotte. +7 Str, +4 spd, +2 def. He probably works really good with Camilla. Gives her alot of Str to oneshot enemies and Spd to not get doubled and a little bulk too. Only problem is that he comes late.

Flannel seems like an amazing pairup partner. He comes ready to premote. He is kinda like Charlotte. +7 Str, +4 spd, +2 def. He probably works really good with Camilla. Gives her alot of Str to oneshot enemies and Spd to not get doubled and a little bulk too. Only problem is that he comes late.

He is. Cool thing about him is that you can either train him as a unit or use him as fodder. He's great on Cam, Luna, and Effie. Cam and Effie are self explanatory (so much power) while Luna benefits incredibly from his bonuses and he really eases training her while she is in Pegasus.

For the most part, Shephen's list covers everything. A few cool pairings are missing (Oboro/Ryoma and Flannel/Effie, for example) but it's dead accurate. In case you haven't noticed, Kagerou Hana and Oboro are loose women :P:

He is. Cool thing about him is that you can either train him as a unit or use him as fodder. He's great on Cam, Luna, and Effie. Cam and Effie are self explanatory (so much power) while Luna benefits incredibly from his bonuses and he really eases training her while she is in Pegasus.:

Why would you need to train Luna? I figured all you need to do is get her to 5 for rally speed and make sure her staff rank is high enough for rescue. Does she make a good combat unit?

Edited by R O Y B O Y S

Why would you need to train Luna? I figured all you need to do is get her to 5 for rally speed and make sure her staff rank is high enough for rescue. Does she make a good combat unit?

That's what I meant by train Luna. Getting her to level 5 from E rank lances and a 40% Str growth could be difficult without help. After that you don't need to do much. Worth noting though that Luna being fast is pretty cool for Nohr late game and she gets Fighter skills (HP +5 and Roundhouse) from Marrying Flannel as well if you want to use her for more than just a rally speed bot. Flannel gets a nice boost of speed out of the pairing too which he always appreciates.

Edit: Also rescue is E rank like Awakening so really just by instant promoting her then sealing her to Falco she can use rescue.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A question I only realized now; since in my first few files I will be pairing Corrin with Azura, that means, from what I've heard, one guy will have to stay single. Which guy(s) in Hoshido/Nohr would be best for staying single?

Asama in Hosh and Ben in Nohr