Smash Brothers "Representation" Data

Jedi

There sure is a lot of arbitrary "this representation doesn't count because I didn't like it personally" in this thread. IK has as many characters as it has games (not counting remakes), and only 1 game that was ever really popular. There's also a mode in the 3DS version which is bursting at the seems with IK monsters. Palutena was given completely unique specials, a trait only shared by Mii Fighters (and many of those moves are blatant copies of other character's specials). Pitt and Palutena are fine characters, but let's not pretend there wasn't Sakura-bias involved.

In regards to faithful portrayals, I appreciate it but it's not always necessary. Just look at Kamui and the creative movesets they can make.

That said, I do wish Ganondorf drew more from his canon portrayals. Where are the spells and swords?

Edited by NekoKnight

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah no

the KI content is all ripped from Uprising because Sora obviously still had the files to rip from Uprising's production and they buffed the amount of content by adding it. If anything, the KI content should be admired for giving us stuff that would not even be there without it.

Sakurai bias doesn't exist, and as someone who's life was changed by Uprising, it offends me that you people are actually pulling the age old bias card on ripped content. Would you just rather have no content in it's place? I'm sure that's the preferable thing.

And as for the as many characters as reps thing, what about Shulk? Duck Hunt? Should they not exist?

ugh I thought this argument ended a year ago

it's so terrible to see the same old arguments dredged up

EDIT: the whole KI bias thing makes me physically sick but I get that way when anyone criticizes Xenoblade so shrug

Edited by Freyjadour

Sakurai bias doesn't exist, and as someone who's life was changed by Uprising, it offends me that you people are actually pulling the age old bias card on ripped content. Would you just rather have no content in it's place? I'm sure that's the preferable thing.

EDIT: the whole KI bias thing makes me physically sick but I get that way when anyone criticizes Xenoblade so shrug

If this kind of stuff makes you physically ill and offends you so much, I suggest you get a life outside gaming.

Edited by Sunwoo

If this kind of stuff makes you physically ill and offends you so much, I suggest you get a life outside gaming.

please

my entire life is doing the equivalent of white knighting my favorite things

except not exactly white knighting because that term has negative connotations

please

my entire life is doing the equivalent of white knighting my favorite things

except not exactly white knighting because that term has negative connotations

Get a life. Get some friends. Or if you don't have any this might be why

That's what I mean by arbitrarily saying representation doesn't count. So what if the models were ripped from Uprising? Are they suddenly not in the game?

I'm fine with characters from limited series (Duck hunt dog, Xenoblade etc) getting characters. But let's compare some of the numbers.

Duck Hunt: 1 character, 1 stage

Shulk: 1 character, 1 stage, 1 assist

Kid Icarus: 3 characters, 3 stages, 5 items, 2 assist trophies, unique specials for Palutena, a boatload of Uprising enemies and a Viridi Mii costume.

The bias is real and not limited to Kid Icarus.

Edited by NekoKnight

Get a life. Get some friends. Or if you don't have any this might be why

my only real friend likes uprising as much as me so who needs anyone else

also chuggaaconroy is my friend in spirit and his xenoblade lp was perfection so there two friends

EDIT: lol counting a mii fighter costume

our wonderful goddess of nature being relegated to a mii is shameful and considering how stuff like tales of and tower of druaga have costumes this is not very valid

the other stuff is standard. two assists is nothing in the grand scheme.

Kid Icarus stuff directly benefited the game in every way. We're lucky to have it. Likewise, if Shulk wasn't in the game I'd probably be depressed or something. If anyone needs stuff, it's R.O.B. No one but R.O.B. fans have any right to complain

Edited by Freyjadour

my only real friend likes uprising as much as me so who needs anyone else

also chuggaaconroy is my friend in spirit and his xenoblade lp was perfection so there two friends

"In spirit" does not count. Besides, you're embarrassing the rest of us Xenoblade Chronicles fans.

Please learn the meaning of having tolerance for other people's opinions that differ from yours, and that things you like are not objectively correct.

We're gonna eat you in mafia

I happen to like Xenoblade as well. But your demeanor is not okay. You're acting like that guy who's going to get anyone who doesn't know Xenoblade to hate the game just to spite you. And it's making me, as well as some other Xenoblade fans I know on this site, be embarrassed to be associated with you in any way. Your attitude does not do the games you like any favors.

please

the only way to live is to get so invested in the things you love that any criticism whatsoever is a personal attack on you yourself

like when people say epic yarn is bad

or when people say Shulk was a bad addition

or when people say Bayonetta didn't win the ballot

or when people say KI has too much content

please

the only way to live is to get so invested in the things you love that any criticism whatsoever is a personal attack on you yourself

like when people say epic yarn is bad

or when people say Shulk was a bad addition

or when people say Bayonetta didn't win the ballot

or when people say KI has too much content

Uh dude, I think you need to relax.

If I took every comment people said about various things in the Sonic Franchise as personal attacks. I'd be a shell of a man, because I disagree with some and have been called out many times on other sites for merely being a fan of Sonic, like people outright ignored my thoughts and impressions on things, because I am a Sonic fan, but I dealt with it.

Opinions are a blessing, but you can't just take every comment against something you like to be a personal attack, that's ridiculous.

Edited by Jedi

I really can't tell if you're trolling.

do I have any reason to troll

because I invested over 100 hours into Xenoblade and pretty much cry every time I rewatch the ending

the fact that x wasn't a direct continuation hurts my soul legitimately

EDIT: Also, if you want proof, reading the stuff on GFAQS's Smash board probably actually raises my blood pressure

Edited by Freyjadour

Chill dude, go outside and breathe some fresh air. No need to go to the ends of the earth to defend something that's fictional. Being a huge fan of something is great, personally I've spent hundreds of dollars on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure merchandise, but there's life outside Jojo and there's life outside KiU and Xenoblade.

yeah no

the KI content is all ripped from Uprising because Sora obviously still had the files to rip from Uprising's production and they buffed the amount of content by adding it. If anything, the KI content should be admired for giving us stuff that would not even be there without it.

And as for the as many characters as reps thing, what about Shulk? Duck Hunt? Should they not exist?

ugh I thought this argument ended a year ago

it's so terrible to see the same old arguments dredged up

'k, enjoy being offended and physically sick, because you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

please

That's also a great way to accrue warning points, because then you'll overreact and cause a shitstorm, and then I'll have to come in and do something about it.

Seriously, chill out.

---

Alas, I have no thoughts on the matter at hand, other than a big "thank you" for compiling all of that. ;/

Alas, I have no thoughts on the matter at hand, other than a big "thank you" for compiling all of that. ;/

No problem, I'm glad with the thanks ^^.

All I was going for was being helpful for an at the glance semi data sheet.

Edited by Jedi

I'm fine with characters from limited series (Duck hunt dog, Xenoblade etc) getting characters. But let's compare some of the numbers.

Duck Hunt: 1 character, 1 stage

Shulk: 1 character, 1 stage, 1 assist

Kid Icarus: 3 characters, 3 stages, 5 items, 2 assist trophies, unique specials for Palutena, a boatload of Uprising enemies and a Viridi Mii costume.

The bias is real and not limited to Kid Icarus.

First, you can't compare to Duck Hunt because the character and stage literally are the entire IP. Second, you can't compare to Xenoblade because it sold less than Uprising. The fact that either of these games has a playable character at all is noteworthy. In fact, I would argue that Sakurai has an anti Kid Icarus bias, since there's so much more content from Uprising that could have easily been in Smash 4.

If "Sakurai's Kid Icarus bias" were real......

-Pit wouldn't have been planned as a playable character for Melee.

-There would be fewer than EIGHT IPs with an equal or greater number of playable characters.

-Smash 4 wouldn't have the most diverse roster of any fighting game ever, including Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Bayonetta, Ryu, etc.

But no, let's just ignore all that and cry "Sakurai Kid Icarus bias!"

How come no one complains of Sakurai's Star Fox bias, or his Donkey Kong bias, or his Mario bias? Exactly. Sakurai is biased toward ALL Nintendo IPs!!! Except Sin and Punishment, of course.

Edited by Zera

First, you can't compare to Duck Hunt because the character and stage literally are the entire IP. Second, you can't compare to Xenoblade because it was originally third party until Nintendo bought Monolith. The fact that either of these games has a playable character at all is miraculous.

You are confused. I was citing those IPs (specifically the ones brought up by Freyjadour) as having few games and, appropriately, less content. I said in my post I am okay with this kind of representation, so there is no need to defend it.

In fact, I would argue that Sakurai has an anti Kid Icarus bias, since there's so much more content from Uprising that could have easily been in Smash 4.

If "Sakurai's Kid Icarus bias" were real......

-Pit wouldn't have been planned as a playable character for Melee.

-There would be fewer than EIGHT IPs with an equal or greater number of playable characters.

-Smash 4 wouldn't have the most diverse roster of any fighting game ever, including Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Bayonetta, Ryu, etc.

But no, let's just ignore all that and cry "Sakurai Kid Icarus bias!"

So your argument basically boils down to "Because the game isn't literally "Super Icarus Brothers" there is no Sakurai bias."

Thanks for the laughs. You and Freyjadour should hook up.

How come no one complains of Sakurai's Star Fox bias, or his Donkey Kong bias, or his Mario bias? Exactly. Sakurai is biased toward ALL Nintendo IPs!!! Except Sin and Punishment, of course.

I don't think you understand what bias is. Mario gets tons of content because it's Nintendo's top series. Donkey Kong also has a lot of games under its belt. I'll grant you Starfox, as it's a limited series but if you look at the numbers... it has about half of the content Kid Icarus does! Wow, you really chose some bad examples.

Edited by NekoKnight

How come no one complains of Sakurai's Star Fox bias, or his Donkey Kong bias, or his Mario bias?

Because Starfox has barely anything in the game there is no bias really despite you know, Starfox Zero being a thing. It had more content in Brawl and even then it wasn't that much more, Donkey Kong is woefully underrepresented, and Mario is Nintendo's shining star.

I like all 3 Kid Icarus games and consider myself a fan, but it has much more content than it should in Smash 4, I'm not gonna complain because I do enjoy the series, it just doesn't really stand out as much in terms of Nintendo as a whole. Like Uprising in particular is really great, but it alone shouldn't have gotten Kid Icarus all it got in smash, but you know, Sakurai wills it and theres nothing to really say about that, other than -shrug-.

I understand why people are upset with it.

Edited by Jedi