Smash 5 possible characters and stages?

Sentacotus

So now that Sakurai has officially said that they are done adding to Smash 4 what or rather who do you think will be added to the next smash? Keeping in mind this roster spanned 58 characters. Do you even think they'll be able to keep em all?

Personally here's who I can see in the next smash.

1) Splatoon inklings. Practically shoe ins given the game's success and the trend of having playable male and female versions of characters (WFT, Robin, Corrin)

2) Dixie Kong or King K Rool. Alot of demand for these guys especially seeing how people were disappointed that King K Rool was only a mii costume.

3) New Zelda rep. I don't know who but probably someone from Zelda Wii U. I could also potentially see Midna or Ghirahim appearing transitioning from assists.

4) Shovel Knight. Again supposedly alot of demand for this one would also be the "surprise third party character"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Smash 5 is going to be an upgraded port of Smash Wii U, which will include all DLC on-disk at no cost, all characters, stages, trophies and music from both Smash 3DS and Wii U, new challenges, and a few extra stages and characters that were likely planned for Smash 4 but scrapped for whatever reasons, including Ice Climbers, Wolf, maybe Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong. Inkling is going to be the flagship newcomer shown at the reveal, similar to Villager in Smash 4. Sakurai also won't direct, but merely act as a consultant.

There is no way, NO WAY, they start a new Smash from scratch and have it ready for the NX.

I think Smash 5 is going to be an upgraded port of Smash Wii U, which will include all DLC on-disk at no cost, all characters, stages, trophies and music from both Smash 3DS and Wii U, new challenges, and a few extra stages and characters that were likely planned for Smash 4 but scrapped for whatever reasons, including Ice Climbers, Wolf, maybe Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong. Inkling is going to be the flagship newcomer shown at the reveal, similar to Villager in Smash 4. Sakurai also won't direct, but merely act as a consultant.

I'm thinking/hoping something like this, but I don't think all stages, trophies, and music will be kept around. I also think Sakurai will stick around to direct.

The ultimate problem with starting a new Smash from scratch will be finding a way to top Smash 4. There's just too much in it, and too much content would need to be cut if they made it from the ground up again. Plus, I feel Smash 4's gameplay has hit a good balance and there's not much to change anymore.

As for potential newcomers:

Inkling - It's hard to argue against this one. I'll be quite shocked if we don't see them in the next Smash.

DK newcomer - But only if there's a new DK game. People were so sure we'd get a DK newcomer this time around and we didn't, so I'm not going to say it's for sure. As for who, that also depends. If K. Rool appears in a new DK game, it could be him. Otherwise, most likely Dixie.

Animal Crossing newcomer - AC is a pretty big franchise, so it seems reasonable to give it another fighter. Isabelle and Tom Nook seem to be the popular picks.

Sheriff - This is my prediction for the next retro rep in the Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt line.

It's hard to predict any more without knowledge of when the next Smash will begin development. Hopefully all the Smash 4 vets + Wolf and Ice Climbers return. The other veterans probably won't be seen again.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I think that the Rhythm Heaven character being cut is really suspect. If it was Chorus Kid, I would totally expect to see them.

I mean, I don't THINK that Gematsu was real, but RH's treatment is really sketchy.

- Sneaky Spirit

- Multiple Trophies

- Some random songs dropped on the Miiverse stage

- Gematsu (give or take)

- and of course the cut RH character in the data

Considering what we know, that there WAS a slot for an X/Y Pokemon, that Chrom was considered, and that a RH character was cut as well as Sakurai's "characters like the Ice Climbers" quote from around E3 2013, and I honestly would lean towards it having extremely outdated information.

I don't see Ken or Jeanne ever happening. I do think that having, say, Dr. Eggman/Tails for Sonic though. It's been here long enough to earn it.

I also would have enjoyed to see Terra with Cloud someday, but with Copyright Sentinel Squeenix I don't see Cloud even returning

and although I love Terra, Japan likes Squall more than anyone so maybe I shouldn't want that

I think (or rather hope) that all the characters in Smash Wii U/3DS will return. I feel like that the vast majority of people are very pleased with this roster, despite there being a particularly loud and salty group. I suppose you could remove the 3rd-party characters though, I dunno what they'd have to do in terms of copyright and licensing and such for them to return. But otherwise, I feel like the rest of the cast will return.

As for newcomers, I think...

-Lyn, Isaac, and Takamaru will be upgraded from Assist Trophy to playable characters.

-The Ice Climbers and Wolf will return.

-A new DK character will join the fray, possibly even two.

-A new Zelda character will join the fray.

-Medusa from Kid Icarus makes an entrance!

-Inklings will join the fray, how could they not?

-Shovel Knight will join the fray.

-They'll completely troll every Ridley fan and tease him as playable, then reveal that he's just a boss.

I'm really just dreaming for Lyn, but please just let me dream. She'll be the only new Fire Emblem character.

They can't ignore Isaac fans forever.

According to Sakurai, Takamaru was going to be playable but they just made him an AT because they thought he was completely unknown.

People will be extra salty if Wolf and the Ice Climbers don't come back, they won't keep them away this time.

One DK character will for sure join the fray, probably K. Rool due to his popularity, but I can dream for both him and Dixie!

Zelda, Zelda, Zelda!

C'mon, Kid Icarus has gotten good treatment, it will continue.

Inklings and Shovel Knight were so popular, it's hard seeing them kept out.

Yup, trolling those Ridely fans.

This is a lot of newcomers (except for the Ice Climbers and Wolf), but I think the roster will be even bigger than Smash 4's so...

EDIT: Well actually it's only 9 newcomers and 2 returning characters, so not too much.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

As a KI fan, four characters would be perfect.

Pit

Palutena

unique Dark Pit

but not Medusa, she's not that special.

I want Viridi or Hades or maybe even both

<3<3<3 kid Icarus

also DK only needs one character so add Andy or something to your roster.

My Hypothetical Roster:

Old Series:

Paper Mario

Kamek

Ashley

Bandana Dee

Hades

Fiora

Isabelle

Terra Branford

Returns (Sort Of)

Alph

Wolf

Mii (Sports)

New Series:

Andy

Wrestler & Reporter

Starfy

Savvy Stylist

Inkling

Takamaru

Shovel Knight

Cuts:

Lucina

Dr. Mario

Dark Pit (sadly)

Mii Gunner

Mii Brawler

Mii Swordfighter

That gives us an even 72.

rate out of 8

also I know Corrin and Bayonetta aren't even out yet but w/e

for third party I would also accept phoenix wright and professor layton for obvious reasons

Yeah, Smash 5 is probably a long way away (unless they make a quick updated re-release of Smash 4 on the NX to bolster the new console's launch lineup, adding the DLC for no extra cost and MAYBE putting in stages from both the Wii U and 3DS version, and if we're really lucky the Ice Climbers).

Also, while I know Sakurai says every Smash game is going to be his last, he might actually mean it this time. Mainly because the reason he kept coming back is because Iwata asked him to. Sakurai pretty much owes his career to Iwata, who gave him his first job at HAL. Now that Iwata's gone, I don't know if Sakurai will return to make another Smash game. Of course, what sort of lineup we see in future games depends on who's in charge, making this harder to predict than ever.

However, as for cuts, I'm fairly certain Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and probably Roy will be gone from the next true installment (i.e. not an updated re-release of Smash 4). Cloud will probably be gone, too, because Squeenix is Squeenix. If Bayonetta didn't get in due to a fan ballot, I'd say her chances of returning are low, too, mainly because she would have to be graded by the ESRB if she wasn't a DLC character and Nintendo probably doesn't want to deal with the obvious higher rating she would cause the game to have. However, I think they're probably just going to sneak around the ESRB by not including her on disc but then releasing her as DLC again not long after launch (hopefully for free in future games, since regardless of having a good reason this plan still would be withholding content from the game to release as DLC later, and that's a practice that I'm glad Nintendo hasn't started doing yet).

However, as for cuts, I'm fairly certain Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and probably Roy will be gone from the next true installment

I highly doubt Roy or Dr. Mario will be cut. They finally brought back Mewtwo and Roy after so much begging from their fans, and Dr. Mario although there was much less begging for him. They're not gonna cut them again. I could see Lucina and Dark Pit being cut, but I kinda doubt it, they'd create another "Mewtwo/Roy" situation.

advance wars is a super special underprivedged snowflake and DK is boring so...

Oh well.

Inkling is the only character that I really feel is missing from the game in terms of the Nintendo lineup. No one else feels even close.

With a 5 year dev cycle (what Brawl and Smash 4 had), Smash NX would be coming out at the end of its life time too (release date around 2020/2021). That's assuming Sora doesn't decide to work on another game in the mean time (I'd personally wager a release date around 2023). The only way I could see Smash NX actually coming out would be if the console has an obnoxiously long lifespan, considering they're aiming for a 2016 release for it.

I'm honestly in the camp for an NX port. Having Smash has a launch title for the NX would basically ensure the console won't go the way of the Wii U. Combining both games would be a crazy enough game for people to buy. Throw in a few exclusive characters to the port (which is what lots of other fighters do like MvC) and you've got a done deal. Smash literally prints money with how well it sells and so the economic side of the decision makes it seem really excellent. The new content wouldn't even need to be much. Throw in like 4 characters (they made 7 in less than a year, surely 4 won't take long) and any necessary stages for those characters (or other popular retro stages) and bam. Game done.

Just out of curiosity, here's what the stage roster would look like in terms of distribution of the 84 stages:

Smash (3): Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Final Destination

Mario (13): 3D Land, Golden Plains, Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Circuit, Super Mario Maker, Peach's Castle (64), Mushroomy Kingdom (Brawl), Delfino Plaza (Brawl), Luigi's Mansion (Brawl), Mario Circuit (Brawl)

Yoshi (3): Woolly World, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Donkey Kong (4): Jungle Hijinx, Kongo Jungle (64), Jungle Japes (Melee), 75m (Brawl)

Zelda (7): Gerudo Valley, Spirit Train, Skyloft, Hyrule Castle (64), Temple (Melee), Bridge of Eldin (Brawl), Pirate Ship (Brawl)

Metroid (3): Pyrosphere, Brinstar (Melee), Norfair (Brawl)

Kirby (4): Dream Land, The Great Cave Offensive, Dream Land (64), Halberd (Brawl)

StarFox (3): Orbital Gate Assault, Corneria (Melee), Lylat Cruise (Brawl)

Pokemon (4): Unova Pokemon League, Prism Tower, Kalos Pokemon League, Pokemon Stadium 2 (Brawl)

F-Zero (2): Mute City, Port Town Aero Dive (Brawl)

Mother (2): Magicant, Onett (Melee)

Fire Emblem (3): Arena Ferox, Colisseum, Castle Siege (Brawl)

Game and Watch (3): Flat Zone X, Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)

Kid Icarus (3): Palutena's Temple, Reset Bomb Forest, Skyworld (Brawl)

WarioWare (2): Gamer, WarioWare.Inc (Brawl)

Pikmin (2): Garden of Hope, Distant Planet (Brawl)

Animal Crossing (3): Town and City, Tortimer Island, Smashville (Brawl)

One-Offs (13): Boxing Ring, Wii Fit Studio, Guar Plain, Duck Hunt, Wrecking Crew, Pilotwings, Wuhu Island, Miiverse, Balloon Fight, Living Room, Find Mii, Tomodachi Life, Pictochat 2

Third Party (8): Windy Hill Zone, Green Hill Zone (Brawl), Wily Castle, Pac-Land, Pac-Maze, Suzaku Castle, Midgar, Umbra Clock Tower

Here's my wishlist for Smash NX Port

- Inkling + Inkopolis Tower stage. As previously stated, only newcomer I have any degree of confidence in.

- Ice Climbers + Summit stage. NX won't hold them back, so they can come back.

- Wolf + Sector Z (64) stage. Only other Brawl character that is possible to bring back (licensing kept Snake from being the ballot winner in my opinion)

- Shovel Knight + Shovel Knight stage. Shovel Knight feels like the last popular third party character that could replicate Bayonetta's success.

For a total of 62 characters and 88 stages with around 525 songs.

Because Splatoon has been a MAJOR success. MAJOR. No one knows who Elma is. Fiora might make it, maybe possibly, but it's a long shot.

Elma being the girl from Xenoblade Chronicles X.

also since you called it a long shot and you have a picture of the other Fiora in your sig you DO know I mean Shulk's Fiora right?

because wanting the other one is illogical

Who actually is Elma?

Fiora's not going to make it. I don't see another Xenoblade character getting into the next Smash.

I also highly, highly doubt Shovel Knight and I don't know why people keep mentioning him.

Who actually is Elma?Fiora's not going to make it. I don't see another Xenoblade character getting into the next Smash.I also highly, highly doubt Shovel Knight and I don't know why people keep mentioning him.

as a xenoblade fanboy i am triggered

we all know another xenoblade character is coming in smash 5

fiora, Elma, maybe both? I know I'd add both and Alvis as a Shulk clone omg <3

Elma is the woman in every single Xenoblade X trailer ever. She wears red and has silver hair

unless you haven't kept up with X in which case shame

but seriously who even likes Splatoon xenoblade is obviously the :3est

we all know another xenoblade character is coming in smash 5

We most certainly do not. We don't even know about the future of the series. If another game doesn't come out between now and the start of Smash 5's development, I doubt a new Xenoblade character will join.

unless you haven't kept up with X in which case shame

I haven't.

[spoiler=obviously spoiler for xenoblade x]]xenoblade x is undoubtably getting a sequel

considering how many sequel hooks were in X and how Takahashi talked about how he wants the next game to be more like the original it's obviously happening

I mean Shulk was the objective best newcomer

can't we trade someone we have for Fiora because Shulk, Cloud, and Bayonetta are obviously the best and my insatiable xenoblade hunger requires an entire like five but I also require Viridi, hades, and Medusa so w/e

could I just have a xenoblade vs kid Icarus fighting game all my dreams will come true

I highly doubt Roy or Dr. Mario will be cut. They finally brought back Mewtwo and Roy after so much begging from their fans, and Dr. Mario although there was much less begging for him. They're not gonna cut them again. I could see Lucina and Dark Pit being cut, but I kinda doubt it, they'd create another "Mewtwo/Roy" situation.

Lucina and Roy are very un-unique (especially Lucina) representatives of a very oversaturated series that's almost guaranteed to get a new rep in Smash 5 (they're going to want to advertise whatever the latest FE game is at the time). Lucina's odds of returning are on par with Cloud's, and Roy's are only slightly better. Hell, if Sakurai doesn't return to make Smash 5, I'd say even Ike is vulnerable (though much less so than Roy or Lucina. And he's safe as long as Sakurai returns). And Dark Pit might not have the same problems as they do (Kid Icarus might not even have a new game by the time Smash 5 comes out), but his inclusion in Smash 4 was more despised than any other character on the roster's.

As for newcomers, like I said this will be very hard to predict. I'm trying not to fall into the trap of assuming that a character being relevant now means that they'll still be relevant 5+ years from now. However, like most people here, I think the Inklings are pretty likely. Splatoon isn't really my type of game, but it's hard to deny that it's basically the most successful new IP Nintendo has had in years, and I'm not going to be the one making the new Smash game anyway so who cares what I think (and even if I was, I'm not enough of a self-centered asshole to exclude highly popular characters just because I personally don't like them). In addition, representatives from whatever the latest FE game and Pokemon generation are at the time are both virtually guaranteed, along with maybe a rep from a new IP or two. Maybe Metroid and Donkey Kong will finally get proper representation, but probably not with Sakurai at the helm because he has a huge hate boner for those series. Yacht Club Games needs to establish Shovel Knight as a series if they want him to have a chance, because a one-off indie game that will be at least seven years old by the time Smash 5 comes out doesn't have a chance in hell of having its star represented in Smash. I think another Xenoblade rep may be possible,especially since Xenoblade Chronicles X has a clear sequel hook at the end (hopefully that's not too much of a spoiler) that makes it look likely that the series will grow from here. However, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn ended with a clear sequel hook, too, and nothing ever came of that. If no more Xenoblade games come out between now and Smash 5, I'll have to agree with RFoF and say that another rep is unlikely. And, even if more games do come out, no way in hell are we getting a third rep for the series (unless Sakurai himself becomes a huge fanboy of the series, since we all know how good he is at not letting his biases get the better of him).

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Lucina and Roy are very un-unique (especially Lucina) representatives of a very oversaturated series that's almost guaranteed to get a new rep in Smash 5 (they're going to want to advertise whatever the latest FE game is at the time). Lucina's odds of returning are on par with Cloud's, and Roy's are only slightly better. Hell, if Sakurai doesn't return to make Smash 5, I'd say even Ike is vulnerable (though much less so than Roy or Lucina. And he's safe as long as Sakurai returns). And Dark Pit might not have the same problems as they do (Kid Icarus might not even have a new game by the time Smash 5 comes out), but his inclusion in Smash 4 was more despised than any other character on the roster's.

Roy is VERY unique, he's been completely redone in Smash 4. Saying he's a clone or un-unique is just plain wrong. He's not getting cut again. And to say the series is oversaturated is incredibly subjective. I don't think it's overstuffed at all.