Star Wars: The Force Awakens POST viewing thoughts

Sentacotus

Obi-Wan and his dumb one liners made episode 3(thanks Cinema Sins for reminding me). Also Ian McDiarmid killed it as Palpatine.

After rewatching Revenge of the Sith I'd say TFA is on par with it. They're both fun deeply flawed films.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty mediocre film. I'd easily put it above all the prequels, but it would be hard for it not to be there.

The story and character archetypes are so derivative from the OT, that it was easy to predict most of the movie before it even reached the half way point. And the First Order is incredibly boring and lame, Jesus Christ. Now that they killed the character who single handedly carried the OT (in my opinion), I'm not sure I have interest in watching the rest of this trilogy.

I went with my friends so the atmosphere was intense, 8/10. If I went alone, it should be 7/10 at most. There's nothing worth to watch in this movie except Ford+Hamill nostalgia, it's just another bland sci-fi flick. I will not watch any other Starwar movie unless it's about Yuuzhan Vong.

The fluff of Starwar itself is pretty boring and cheesy with only a few interesting stuff. Not that Startrek is any better. I guess this is the result of me getting lost in the Warp for 40k years.

Edited by Magical CC

One thing I'm surprised that more people haven't commented on is the weapon they used (which I'm quite sure went completely unnamed on both sides). Maybe if it was in the third film or whipped out at the end of the second but just having it there at the very start just made it seem silly. The lead up to it being fired was cool but actually seeing it just seemed laughable to me. I know I don't go to Star Wars for accurate physics but it just seemed ridiculous to see it spanning across the sky and hitting multiple conveniently lined up planets at once. Whose destruction comes with no serious impact (by which I mean emotionally/dramatically). Even if Leia forgot about Alderan pretty quickly we still get to see her react to it's destruction on a personal level and have some time to fully understand what's about to happen. In this they just upped the ante and wiped out multiple planets purely to wipe out multiple planets. It just left me questioning how this First Order managed to build this thing when they don't seem to have any major economy and why war as a concept is even necessary when it looks like they can harness energy on a scale that should make resources infinite. I would have much preferred if the First Order were a lot smaller a threat in terms of power but a lot more dangerous in terms of dogmatic extremism. Kind of like Isis coming to think of it. Instead they just rethreaded A New Hope scene for scene but made it BIGGER. Makes me wonder what they'll do for Episode IX. Probably some kind of Dyson Sphere weapon. Having a weapon with an atmosphere and able to destroy planets from long range isn't a bad idea, I just think this early in the trilogy with no build up from an organisation that doesn't seem to be able to do it just broke my immersion.

Totally fine with the Lightsaber fight at the end though. Getting a concussive blast to the rips is going to hurt like hell. Though I was wondering how he managed to get ahead of them in the forest when they had a head start at he was just lying on the ground last we saw him.

Also was anyone else expecting Leia to be a Jedi? She was the only other force sensitive we knew of at the the original trilogy. Seems kind of a no brainer that she'd be top of the list of people to train. I guess she might not have wanted the powers of a psychic wizard as a lifestyle choice but there's still going to be a ton of pressure when your'e among a handful of potential jedi left. Maybe we might see something further on that matter in the latter films though.

Edited by Jotari

Pretty mediocre film. I'd easily put it above all the prequels, but it would be hard for it not to be there.

I'd have to agree, most of the film is pretty predictable. There's also a lot of parallels with Episode 4, which may have been intentional.

Probably intentional.

I feel like Abrams was under the assumption that Star Wars 1977 was a perfect film, and so the closer he mirrors it, the better this movie would be. The original Star Wars was a great movie for its time, but it wasn't perfect by any means, and a modern movie should be refining the formula, not regurgitate it.

Honestly, now that i had time to think about it, i would say that it was like the hobbit films. Quite good, but still a footnote compared to the awesome original trilogy that it as a sequel to (i honestly liked it better than the hobbit films, though)

Honestly, now that i had time to think about it, i would say that it was like the hobbit films. Quite good, but still a footnote compared to the awesome original trilogy that it as a sequel to (i honestly liked it better than the hobbit films, though)

The Hobbit movies are the worse than this movie, that's for sure. The directing was not very impressive, the CG ranges from bad to mediocre, the story itself is butchered and sometimes steps into "ridiculous" and "stupid" zone. In the book, the elves dont charge like a bunch of idiots like in the movie, they actually stand behind the dwarves and shoot the orks. They also have their own phalanx formation. God damn it! I cant believe I wasted money on the first and second movie. I would rather watch The Force Awaken three times than watch any of the Hobbit movies.

An overhyped film from a franchise that shouldn't have been rebooted brought down by unrealistic character development, terrible villains and overdone plot devices (seriously, they destroy a Death Star-style planetoid for the THIRD time?).

The Star Killer was such blatant fanservice that JJ didn't even bother to film intense dogfights and convey the tension of having it threaten to vaporize not only your own planet but your entire solar system. He instead focused on the Rebels escaping from the Imperial base, Han Solo and Kylo Ren's chitchat and the Mary Sue-ification of Rey.

I had some fun watching it but I doubt I'll go back to it.

That's not what I said =P

I said that I hope episode 8 won't be as disappointing as 2 - I don't know if people had high expectations for it. Both were sequels of promising stories, and yet 2 failed miserably (despite me liking Count Dooku, the Obi-Wan scenes and the fight in the arena up until the end). Revenge of the Sith was pretty nice, though, the only glaring bad point imo is that it rushed Anakin's descent into darkness. I was also too young when these came out, so I had the privilege to watch everything later at once when I discovered that I liked Star Wars (when I was 9, iirc).

You know, the prequels should've been a series. They had too much story to convey, too many plot important characters to develop, too many events to show and too little time to shorten it all in three films. Anakin in particular needed to be developped better. I really like him as a character, but the way he was portrayed was not the best, to say the least. Kylo Ren suffers from the same syndrome.

Sorry, misread. Same here though; not to gloat, but my parents had the originals on VHS, so I didn't have to see Lucas's add ones. RE it should have been a series, are you aware of the Clone Wars cartoon? It has a rough start, but it is far better than any of the prequels and is actually extremely good at times.

Because her unexplained competence can be chalked up mostly to being the main protagonist and little else. So far.

It's too early to really tell if that's if that's how she'll ultimately end up, but if she becomes a jedi master crackshot bi-lingual ace pilot with numerous love interests and everyone loves her... then yeah, I'd say it's an accurate description.

But Luke wasn't really any different, one day he's a peasant farmer and then the next he's using the force to guide a missile down the Death Star without the aid of his targeting system. I don't get how people can call one a mary sue then not the other. As for boring and uninteresting, that's debatable, I found her okay, not as good as Finn in my opinion, but not boring enough that it distracted me at all.

But Luke wasn't really any different, one day he's a peasant farmer and then the next he's using the force to guide a missile down the Death Star without the aid of his targeting system. I don't get how people can call one a mary sue then not the other. As for boring and uninteresting, that's debatable, I found her okay, not as good as Finn in my opinion, but not boring enough that it distracted me at all.

That's pretty much the only time he uses the force in the first film after struggling with it before hand. His flying skills might come off as a little stuish but it is established he has had years of practise and even then he fails several times before succeeding in the last second. He uses the force to help him with a shot he knows he can make and has made before. Then in the sequel even after getting proper training he still gets his ass handed to him and only uses the force to barely escape. And funnily enough in the third film the at the critical moment it's the dark side of the force that allows him to succeed.

As for Rey she seemingly out mind rapes a very powerful force user in what seems to be her first time ever using it. I appreciate the fact that she failed to convince the storm trooper at first. That segment over all was pretty entertaining. I like to imagine she's been aware of her force powers for years and has developed them without proper instruction but there's nothing to suggest that's the case (and if it was she could have dealt with the ration dealer a lot easier).

TL;DR, Luke fails quite a lot while Rey seemingly succeeds at everything she tries. Though personally speaking I'm quite ambivalent to both characters. I'm just presenting the facts as they appear to be. It's probably a little too early to really decry anything since Rey has two more films worth of establishing and explaining.

Edited by Jotari

She's not a mary sue, she's just boring and underdeveloped. The term is pretty reductive anyway.

She's boring and underdeveloped because she's a mary sue.

A good video on the subject. You don't have to like this guy but he illustrates pretty well why she's a mary sue and Luke isn't.

Uh no, if a character is boring and underdeveloped, it's because the writers did an insufficient job, not because a teenage girl was ghost writing and put her self-insert into the script somehow.

Why don't you make an explanation yourself instead of posting a vid of some obnoxious hack writer. Mary Sue has become an oversimplified, meaningless term for any protagonist that one doesn't like.

Edited by Radiant head

I thought Force Awakens was good but it was a bit overhyped for a movie that ended up being A New Hope 2 essentially, I mean I get it, it's a new saga it has new elements but it lives in the shadow of the original Star Wars movie a bit too much.

It's good but I thought it was gonna be absolutely amazing.

Why don't I make an explanation myself? ...You mean like I did in my first post in this thread where I complained she was uninteresting and too good at everything she does? I could've copied and pasted that and added "This is why she's a mary sue" or I could've posted a video that uses more words to explain it. I chose the latter.

It's cool you and I both don't like Max, but he's dead on this time. Stopped clocks are right twice a day after all.

By the definition of "she's too flawless and everybody loves her"(which is the definition most are using in rey's case) she's a mary sue.

If you think the term is meaningless then we're arguing about different things here.

Luke is a Mary Sue? Are you kidding me? He spent the first movie doing nothing worth mentioning other than running like a chicken and got molested by a little green alien. In the second movie, he got his ass kicked here and there and said goodbye to his arm. And in the third movie, he only truly shines in the later part and without his daddy, he could have been pwned by Palpatine.

Who is truly the Mary Sue? Anankin is. That kid spent some weeks with a Jedi and destroyed a god damn space station with a spacecraft he has never learned how to drive before, what the hell? Did I mention he won the pod race without any Jedi training? Then he slept with a hot chick who is way older than him! Then at 14 years old, he built his first light saber, wow. Then he destroyed the Tusken camp by himself. Everything Luke did, Anankin did it better, at a younger age too. Luke lost his hand? Anankin lost all of his limbs!

And Rei? She's totally bland, lacks of any development and got pushed even harder than Roman Reigns. But since she's not an annoying whinny cocky kid like Anankin, it's fine.

No. Mary Sues are by definition self inserts. Anyone using Mary Sue in an other capacity is wrong. It originated from a Star Trek fan fiction. Rey was not inserted into Episode V and she does not do everything. You may not like her, but she has her own story from the onset and is by definition not a Mary Sue.

and thus Micaiah isn't either people need to get this

No. Mary Sues are by definition self inserts. Anyone using Mary Sue in an other capacity is wrong.

You can have a self insert without it being a Mary Sue, and vice versa, considering a self-insert need not be perfect. I'm not sure where you're getting this conclusion. Edited by Tryhard

The origin of the word is not the end result of what it means. What the majority of people accept as it's meaning is it's meaning. Goodness knows English would be way crazier if we used the same words but understood them by their original context.

It was good. It wasn't on the level of the original trilogy but it was still a lot better than the prequels. I quite liked Kylo Ren. He seemed to rely a lot on his emotions which i would expect from a sith. I didn't care that much for the original cast being in it. They felt shoehorned in tbh. I also found Rey to be a tad bit op for my liking. It took her 1 scene to become a jedi or some shit like that. Finn was good. I don't know, it felt like a lesser A New Hope.

The origin of the word is not the end result of what it means. What the majority of people accept as it's meaning is it's meaning. Goodness knows English would be way crazier if we used the same words but understood them by their original context.

The problem is that some words, like this one, are basically stripped of all meaning, because people just throw it around for any protagonist they dislike.

I dunno, I didn't like this movie, and didn't think Rey was a very well developed character, but it's pretty laughable how quick people are to throw the mary sue term around.

Edited by Radiant head