3 turning CoD in HHM?

ruadath

It's perhaps a little bit too early to be discussing this, but I figured I'd make this thread in case anyone had some ideas about how to go about a potential 3 turn clear of this map. Even if you just have some thoughts about why it may or may not be possible, or what things should be taken into account, I figured it might be nice to get this discussion underway now so I can make preparations in case we do figure out something.

I could be mistaken, but aren't there specific tiles you have to stand on to spawn reinforcements, meaning you could just avoid those tiles altogether to prevent extra spawns - namely the broke ass Valks in the northern part?

I think if you can avoid those tiles, it should be fairly simple to do this. Who do you plan on murdering the boss with? I assume that your key members are going to be anyone that can one round Valks, because that's going to be the key to winning this chapter. Are you going to recruit Harken? I feel he's one of the best for that job. Raven is also good for obvious reasons.

And, hello. Long time no see.

And, hello. Long time no see.

Oh, hey! Wow, it really has been a long time! I don't think I ever congratulated you on finishing your S-rank run, so allow me to do that.

I'm note really sure about the specifics of the upcoming chapters yet, but I doubt that Harken will be recruited in an LTC (I think he shows up late?). Thanks to his Light Rune and generally high stats, I think the usual strategy of sending Priscilla after him fails to work quickly enough. I think people have said that (LHM transfers) Sain would potentially be able to 2RKO him with the Brave Lance or Silver Lance, but that it would be impossible to get him there alive. That begs the question of whether or not it would be possible to achieve such a feat with a well trained Marcus who got Str/Spd/Res every level. Thanks to his high base Res, tacking on a Pure Water/Barrier he should be just as invulnerable to magic as Priscilla. But again, just a fledgling of an idea.

Thank you!

Yeah, I didn't expect you to recruit Harken in such a run. The notion of a paladin with a Brave Lance sounds like your best bet to be honest. I can't think of any other unit that would have the movement to get up there while not getting slaughtered by casters. Would any pegasus units or Heath work? Heath has the unfortunate side effect of getting murdered by magic, but perhaps hard mode bonuses would help?

I dunno, I really think there's no better option than Sain for that. What if you got the Uber Spear?

EDIT: Ok yeah, that link clarifies it. Maybe a flier is the answer after all.

Edited by Brinzy

I'm note really sure about the specifics of the upcoming chapters yet, but I doubt that Harken will be recruited in an LTC (I think he shows up late?).

don'tdoitdon'tdoitdon'tdoitdon'tdoitdon'tdoit

Ahem. I got pretty close once to a 3 turn + Warp by getting Boots!Fiora to the village on the second turn and dropping Warp in the convoy, and then getting Priscilla, Serra, and Pent to warp important people (IIRC Sain, Florina, Heath, then Priscilla herself) to give them a boost. My issue was that if Heath or Sain went for the boss, they wouldn't survive even with a Pure Water, and Linus did too much damage to Florina and Priscilla. Ninis' Grace (yes, I'm going there,) could have helped, but I'm Ninian was needed elsewhere. I didn't know about the trigger zones, which probably would have helped. However, I didn't do the previous chapters as in absolute LTC format, and I recall spending a few turns to get my staffbots higher magic, but you should be able to cover that by rigging. I doubt you'll be using both Serra and Priscilla either, but hopefully this helps you.

status staff enemies might be the biggest problem, do they suicide or use staves if they have the choice? The siege magic in the boss area might be an issue to, maybe Bolting!Pent and Erk need to help out against them.

Edited by Gradivus.

Don't forget you also need to get Warp while low-turning that map. It may not matter in more reliable(-looking-ish...) clears of the chapter, but it does make the 3-turn even less realistic, coupled with the problem of connecting attacks on extremely numerous, often very agile, enemies scattered in different corners of the map.

Harken shows up way too late to be recruited in LTC context (no question about it), but I don't see why you wouldn't train up a squad of competent, rigged-stats units to do what you want them to do. Maxed mag Priscilla can probably do the fighting without being affected by the enemy attacks much, but you could always just rig the res growth of a Javelin/Hand Axe-using paladin. I think Prissy still needs crits to 1RKO the valks and other promoted enemies there?

Harken shows up way too late to be recruited in LTC context (no question about it), but I don't see why you wouldn't train up a squad of competent, rigged-stats units to do what you want them to do. Maxed mag Priscilla can probably do the fighting without being affected by the enemy attacks much, but you could always just rig the res growth of a Javelin/Hand Axe-using paladin. I think Prissy still needs crits to 1RKO the valks and other promoted enemies there?

This is why the thought of using a level ~10 Marcus with capped (or close to it) Res crossed my mind. So you do think that is a feasible option? Note that Marcus is also probably going to have the most Skill out of any paladins I have, and he'll probably have the S-rank lance/axe bonus too, which means he won't be missing important attacks. Perhaps I should have set my tactician affinity to fire instead of thunder...

Edited by ruadath

Marcus may have a high res growth but Sain/Kent proc str/spd more often, and will likely emerge as superior combat units thanks to their faster speed of levelling, by CoD certainly. It hardly matters whose stats you will be rigging anyway, though...

If you get Marcus to level ~10 and have Str/Spd proc'd every level though, he's at ~24 Str and ~20 Spd. The former is pretty close to being capped, and the latter can get high enough with a speedwing or 2.

And for my purposes, it does sort of matter who I decide to take, since I'm not burning tons of RNs. I suppose Lowen has a slightly better Res growth than Marcus, but Marcus bases more than make up for it, while Sain has an absolutely terrible Res growth. Kent's bases put him out of the question.

I suppose, but it would be cool if I could do this without the mine glitch. I guess that is a pretty decent fallback option though.

Another issue I was concerned about though: aren't there a bunch of status staff guys near Linus? How am I supposed to have Marcus deal with them while taking on the boss? I don't suppose they'll engage him in combat on the enemy phase?

No, they always go for status even if they're in range to do damage to you. I want to say that this is the case even if you have a very wounded teammate, because I vaguely recall one of them opting to use status instead of attacking a relatively low health Fiora. Don't know if they do this if they can kill you themselves.

A 3-turn clear looks pretty unrealistic. Boots!Heath can deal with Linus reliably but then he'll struggle against the Valkyries. With Boots!Priscilla it's the other way round. But perharps convoy warping the Warp Staff and Berserking some of the far north enemies early could make it possible?