[Spoiler Alert] New IGN footage showcasing Amiibo and more Characters!

Hoshidokoala

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I thought for a while the localization team was making pretty good decisions with names, but.. Niles? Beruka? Mozu? What the heck? The change to Selena makes sense, so that's whatever, but Niles? Why? It'll take time to get used to and I'm not that upset. I'm just confused. I mean.. it could be worse.

My Castle is looking spiffy though and everyone's personalities seem to be relatively in tact, so that's great. The entire time watching I was screaming for them to go to their ~private quarters~ to see if fe-amie was still in. oh well.

Its that time again where people complain about names.

Now that I think a about it, in the Awakening days, didn't a lot of people got angry because the changend Krom to Chrom? I mean the name remained the same, but a lot of people got angry because hey changed one letter.

And Liz to Lissa?

Edited by Water Mage

Now that I think a about it, in the Awakening days, didn't a lot of people got angry because the changend Krom to Chrom?

And Liz to Lissa?

Every name pissed someone off, I'm fairly sure.

Its that time again where people complain about names.

Oh, I just love that time. But in all seriousness, I don't understand why people rage about names all the time. I understand they want the names to remain the same, but maybe the Localization Team has a reason for changing them. I mean, I can understand why some people are upset that the Hoshidan names are being chopped down, but again, there's always a reason.

Niles is the only one I'm a little peeved about because of the characters from the Nanny and Frasier. Beruka is a bit weird but I'll live. I got used to the ones in Awakening even though I pretty much alternate between their Japanese and English names these days and I'll get used to these ones as well. If I hadn't played it in Japanese there's no doubt I would have no problem with any of these names.

clipsey's thoughts on the names:

Niles (Zero) - I thought Zero was kind of silly, even if it sort-of fits his past. Not feeling much of anything about this one.

Selena (Severa) - Selena was Severa's Japanese name, so no objections here.

Beruka (Belka) - It's exactly the same as her Japanese name, IIRC. . .just that we localized it differently from IS.

Mozu (Mozume, I assume) - Out of all the shortened Hoshido names, this one offends me the least.

. . .I still think Effie sounds lame, though. . .right up there with Azura. Happiest about the fact that Nyx's name hasn't been changed at all~!

Niles is, to me, a rather clever way of localizing his name, at least at a surface glance, considering "nil" = "nothing" = "Zero"

And liking Yuri's performance of Marth here. Sounds better than in Codename STEAM.

This only makes me wonder, do amiibos give you exclusive items too? I don't know if the bear hat is exclusive or not, I understand that if you don't have the amiibo you can't fight the amiibo, which I think I'm okay if I never get to do that, but I'll be a little peeved if I miss in-game items from it.

As for names, I wonder why they chose Mozu? I mean in Awakening they could've easily just had us refer to Donnel as Donny but they didn't, so why shorten her name? Niles doesn't look like it fits but that's just from me calling him Zero the whole time, I'm sure I'll get used to it.=)

Well, hot springs are not getting removed, and so aren't the "private quarters". Nice.

To be fair Hot Springs is small time fanservice compared to face-rubbing, and they didn't enter the private quarter so we don't if they kept the face-rubbing.

To be fair Hot Springs is small time fanservice compared to face-rubbing, and they didn't enter the private quarter so we don't if they kept the face-rubbing.

Some people were afraid they'd remove the Hot Springs.

And "Private Quarters" sounds saucy so I expect skinship baby.

Hmm, yeah, I'm gonna pet that sexy Arthur.

I don't know how to feel about Niles (But I like his voice, not gonna lie).

Luna->Selena I like. It felt weird having a character that shared a name with a skill.

Beruka? When I say this I thing or verruca, which I think is something that should not be thought of XD. But I like it non the less.

And Mozu. Eh. I don't see why it needed to be changed since Mozume is easy enough IMO but okay.

Most of the names just released are fine. It's Mozu that sounds the worst. It doesn't even sound like a first name much less a fantasy name. I understand that they must think non Japanese speakers might not pronounce the メ in her name but maybe Mozumi would have been better?

Edited by Hatsuoki

Most of the names just released are fine. It's Mozu that sounds the worst. It doesn't even sound like a first name much less a fantasy name. I understand that they must think non Japanese speakers might not pronounce the メ in her name but maybe Mozumi would have been better?

It's real enough to have been the name of the chapter 3 boss in the original Fates

Oh lol I'm sorry. I never really read the enemies' names. OTL But her name is changed to a boss' name now?

The bosses name will most likely be changed. Can't have two Mozu(s) running around, now can we? But in all seriousness, they most likely changed his name before changing hers. So there is no interference.

Oh lol I'm sorry. I never really read the enemies' names. OTL But her name is changed to a boss' name now?

It's all right, I'm sorry too. I keep forgetting not everyone has played the Japanese (or read the other thread where I already said that twice). And yeah, apparently, I pulled up my copy of Fates and went up to chapter 3 to double check, and the boss's name is indeed Mozu. The only stupid thing about her name change is that they changed it to something that already exists in the game. Which means they have to change THAT name as a result.

Aw, they didn't show Ike. Well, I suppose I'll just have to check him out myself when I buy Birthright! :)

Not too long now - unless someone decides to show him already. I just hope for his sake his voice is better in this then in code steam....