[Spoiler Alert] New IGN footage showcasing Amiibo and more Characters!

Hoshidokoala

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could go on and list every single name change, but I have yet to a see name change that doesn't make sense or doesn't have some logic behind it.

Really, I find peoples' fascinations with bellyaching over name changes a spot frustrating, especially when we have things like 99% confirmation that the blatant otaku mode was kept in the localization.

I understand there's reasons.

It's just that Hoshido in particular makes me cringe a bit... because you know... Japanese names.

If you can say "Sakura", "Mozume" or "Tsubaki" doesn't seem that different.

For Nohr, I just get over it like I would any other FE game.

I feel like Aksys or Xseed would be a better localizer for this stuff.

I love that "My Room" is called "Private Quarters".

I hope NoA releases the My Castle trailer entirely dubbed.

Heh heh. "Private" Quarters. Localization knew what they were doing there.

Edited by Magic Ike

I'm known for bellyaching about names and getting over them in a few years.

But considering how FE14 has characters from a Japanese inspired country making changes like: "Tsubaki --> Subaki"

Like holy hell, change it to the actual translation like "Kohaku --> Amber" or keep it the same.

"Subaki" doesn't mean anything in English.

Then the names they cut down... pretty much killing all their meaning to the character.

It grates at me. Especially since I played the Japanese version.

I think even Jyo (the root admin of Serenes) made a comment about this.

I'm getting "Cardcaptor Sakura anti-Japan dub changes" flashbacks.

Are you saying characters should maintain names related to their origination or something? Like Inverse and Velvet from fe:a? Maybe the meaning is lost on me but I don't get the deal when to me, a new is a name.

Or "viewers are idiots"; frankly, that's probably closer to the truth than "a few name changes means it's totally anti-Japanese culture!"

I'd like to fire this out to everybody reading; try having a conversation with somebody (or simply talk out-loud to yourself) and use the Japanese names; try getting them in one go, without pausing or fumbling around.

I'm pretty sure the majority of us here had a hard time doing that. We've spent a bunch of time typing the names and not casually mentioning or discussing them. "Hana" and "Kazé" are easier to throw around than "Kazahana" and "Suzukaze".

And as I've said before, there seems to be a general logic to localization name changes; if it's not pronounced exactly how it's spelled, it's changed. "Takumi" and "Yukimura" are pretty straightforward (as is "Hinoka", "Sakura", etc.,); "Mozume" and "Suzukaze" get tricky for those who don't know how to pronounce it (as well as the later being a bit of a mouthful), and "Tsubaki" can be chalked up to many people not differentiating between "Tsu-" and "Su-".

I'd really like people to stop defending these practices with "People are dumb and they'll never learn!" or "There is room to misunderstand so we gotta dumb it down." Why can't people playing a niche Japanese game series be assed to learn really basic pronunciation rules (like, mastered in less than 5 minutes "basic")?

I'll even spare people the trouble. There are 5 vowels and they're always pronounced the same way.

a = ah

i = ee

u= oo

e = eh

o= oh

Boom, you now understand like 90% of how to pronounce things.

I repeat, there is probably more confusion over the correct pronunciation of "western" names than there should be for Japanese names. Kjelle? Caineghis? Are these easy to discern?

Lazy people and name changes make me salty.

Man, you guys should be more like me and just make jokes about localization disease.

The symptoms of localization disease may include but are not limited to the following: speaking in another language, forgetting important things, knowing things you've never known before, calling people by different names, and out-of-character behavior. There is no cure for localization disease, but you can always forget it happened. Raise awareness for localization disease today!

I'd really like people to stop defending these practices with "People are dumb and they'll never learn!" or "There is room to misunderstand so we gotta dumb it down." Why can't people playing a niche Japanese game series be assed to learn really basic pronunciation rules (like, mastered in less than 5 minutes "basic")?

I'll even spare people the trouble. There are 5 vowels and they're always pronounced the same way.

a = ah

i = ee

u= oo

e = eh

o= oh

I repeat, there is probably more confusion over the correct pronunciation of "western" names than there should be for Japanese names. Kjelle? Caineghis? Are these easy to discern?

*Has traumatic flashbacks about 'How do you pronounce Smough' forums*

Exactly. If the concern is 'people are dumb', than why would they leave Yukimura's name unchanged? It's an okay reason for changing the Nohrian Royal names, because you just know that some fucking cretin misguided citizen is going to throw around accusations of Communism allegiance or whatever and blow things way out of proportion, but all the shortened Hoshidan names is really overestimating the stupidity of it's audience. Besides, even if people do struggle, the proper pronunciation can be cleared up with a single google search, unlike some other names I can think of.

Fuck you Smough...

Edited by Phillius

As a whole, Tsubaki vs Subaki or Ryoma vs. Ryouma are such small changes that they don't matter that much. Especially Ryoma. Unless of course Yokai should be Youkai or something.

Rinkah is also pretty insignificant. I don't like Hana or Kaze very much, but I have warmed up to Hana. Kaze is bad but no sense complaining.

Mozu is idiotic. It sounds bad for a character like Mozume, and is already taken in the first place.

As for Tsukuyomi and Orochi, I'm assuming that common sense/Okami would keep them intact. Here's hoping.

People keep acting like skinship WAS confirmed? My room/private quarters is used for other things, not just skinship, right? Like changing your hairstyle and whatnot? It was never just exclusively the hosting grounds for skinship..right? Am I missing something here?

you can change your hairstyle at any time, you don't have to wait for the ! to show up

There was an exclamation above the Private Quarters, which tends to insinuate you can skin ship.

EDIT: But you are right about it also being used to change hairstyle. But that all you can other then skinship.

not to mention the woman in the video said we have to keep some secrets.

that little ! pretty much asures that we will indeed be able to touch our waifu/husbando

I still really hate the Hoshido name changes. What moron decided "Subaki" was a good idea? It sounds HORRIBLE. And yes, there is a major difference between that dumb name, and "Tsubaki". Tsubaki is what god intended, it's a real friggin' name. Kazahana is such a pretty name, shortening it just makes it seem like they think most of the Fates audiences are morons, and it strikes a nerve with me.

Thing with Tsubaki and Kazahana being bad changes is that the meaning behind those names are lost, which are alluded to in-dialogue. Hana at least is still flower-though I do remember one of the DLC dialogue specifically talking about the full meaning in Kazahana, but Tsubaki means camellia and Subaki means absolute nothing and is just the receiving end of Subaru jokes.

This is a pretty significant change too, because it really fucks up Sakura's flower-themed team. While Hana is at least generic flower, Subaki really is nothing. The character for Tsu and Su are also different.

Nohrian names are one thing, since they're western names and sometimes may require some liberty, but really what's the point of touching Hoshido bar some standard ou-o, uu-u concatenating procedures

I'm mostly okay with fully switching to localization names after Feb 19 when the full thing is out but I dont' think I can budge in Tsubaki's department

Edited by Thor Odinson

a = ah

i = ee

u= oo

e = eh

o= oh

"Mo-zu-mé" opens up more ways to mispronounce than "Mozu".

Last time I checked, English wasn't an inflected language; and besides, I'm fairly certain the vast majority of people who buy the game will never see your post.

As for the last bit, "Kjelle" was 8-4 and "Caineghis" was from the Treehouse's precursor, and is also pronounced exactly as it looks.

Also, I think selling over 1 million units outside of Japan takes something out of "niche" territory; it may not be "mainstream", but there's a lot more than a small devout cult following now.

I don't agree with every change made; however, (as I've said before) there's generally a logic behind it.

I don't have to like it; I'm just explaining what I believe to be the rationalization and justification behind most of these changes (also, if somebody above you in the localization department changes something, it takes forever and a day to try and get that change changed).

I don't want to say I'm playing "devil's advocate" because unlike some I don't believe the localization is demonic; I'm just putting out potential reasoning and context behind things.

There's Arthur from Genealogy of the Holy War, the son of Azel and Tiltyu. His name was translated to 'Arthur' in Fire Emblem Awakening, where he showed up as a legacy character.

So this marks the second Fire Emblem unit to share a name with a previous character in the series.

Arthur (FE14 Nohrian Fighter) and Arthur (FE4 Second Generation Mage)

Selena (FE14 Nohrian Mercenary) and Selena (FE8 Grado General Mage Knight)

EDIT: Just as 'Kunai' was retranslated into 'Dagger,' there could be a possibility of Arthur's name changing in this more current version. Chances, though, are probably slim.

Because I'm sure the character names from Japan-only titles that were featured as Spotpass characters 95% of players didn't recognize are considered when making localization changes.

No, really; those are probably pretty low on the priority list.

"Selena" could become "Serena"; either way, they're much more limited with that character's name.

Edited by The DanMan

Are you saying characters should maintain names related to their origination or something? Like Inverse and Velvet from fe:a? Maybe the meaning is lost on me but I don't get the deal when to me, a new is a name.

The changes on other FE's seem to be something I get over on a regular basis.

What I'm saying is that for Hoshido, it seems like a "nerfed" version of Japan considering that their name meanings are spoken about in actual in-game dialogue.

What I feel about the localization team is saying is that audiences outside of Japan are completely "incapable" of digesting anything larger than 3 syllables of Japanese pronunciation and meaning.

It's not like they're shoving a whole bucketload of Japanese culture and mannerisms... just subtle references that define a lot about a character in a simple name.

That's what grates me.

If they kept Ryouma, Sakura, Takumi, Hinoka, and Mikoto the same... then why in the hell are there nerfed ones for other characters?

That's another thing... the inconsistency when handling the Japanese names.

Edited by shadowofchaos

"Mo-zu-mé" opens up more ways to mispronounce than "Mozu".

Last time I checked, English wasn't an inflected language; and besides, I'm fairly certain the vast majority of people who buy the game will never see your post.

As for the last bit, "Kjelle" was 8-4 and "Caineghis" was from the Treehouse's precursor, and is also pronounced exactly as it looks.

Also, I think selling over 1 million units outside of Japan takes something out of "niche" territory; it may not be "mainstream", but there's a lot more than a small devout cult following now.

I don't agree with every change made; however, (as I've said before) there's generally a logic behind it.

I don't have to like it; I'm just explaining what I believe to be the rationalization and justification behind most of these changes (also, if somebody above you in the localization department changes something, it takes forever and a day to try and get that change changed).

I don't want to say I'm playing "devil's advocate" because unlike some I don't believe the localization is demonic; I'm just putting out potential reasoning and context behind things.

Fair enough. It just irks me that the "logic" behind the name changes is "Viewers are Idiots". As shadowofchaos mentioned, Names have meanings and you lesson them by cutting off parts.

For the record, the [suzu] of Suzukaze is pronounced exactly as it looks, and [kaze] ends in the same vowel sound as Mozume, so if people can pronounce the former, they can pronounce the latter. Kazahana is also pronounced exactly how it looks, but people are likely to get Hana wrong too because they'll pronounce it like the western name "Hannah". People have already mentioned that tsunami is an understood loanword so Tsubaki should be simple.

Wow, Kunai was changed to Dagger. Inb4 Localization gives us Jelly Donuts.

FE has canonically operated with Dagger wpntypes before. I expected this.

Dagger makes more sense for Nohr than Kunai, yes.

Hell, Kunai are technically just shoveling spades reappropriated into weapons, no?

Anyway, I don't know why anyone expected them to remove the face-petting. Like it or not there's several game mechanics tied into that, not to mention the protest from axing it would be way huger than the protest from keeping it in. I'm mostly ambivalent to it but I'd be rather annoyed on principle if they cut it, since that's removing actual content as opposed to just renaming things and rewriting some snippets of dialogue.

Well, not fully related, and I don't remember if I already wrote this, but I wouldn't be suprised if European translation brought the Hoshidan names back to their original form, at least, say, the French one.

I highly doubt they'd use the original names. The only exceptions might be Subaki and Beruka, whose japanese names are way more pronounceable (at least in german).

Most name changes will probably be minor ones like Awakening's. (e.g. Lon'qu to Lon'zu)

But tbh I hope they'll get rid of names like Niles, Mozu and Kaze. Especially since the latter two are really prone to mispronounciations.

For example the german pronounciation for "Kaze" is really close to "Katze" (cat), so it's likely to get changed. For Mozu I'll predict something like "Mosu" or "Mosume".

I'm not sure if those changes will be better or worse though.