[Spoiler Alert] New IGN footage showcasing Amiibo and more Characters!

Hoshidokoala

I think the Hoshido names are fine for the most part. They're mostly to work around the English language's senseless pronunciation rules and issues with syllables. Picture this: the word "Straight" is a single syllable, so names with 4 or more syllables can seem too complicated, giving us "Hana" instead of Kazahana and "Kaze" instead of Suzukaze (forever called "Sukukaja" in my heart). Names like Ryoma, Rinkah and Subaki are mostly there so everyone can pronounce them properly. Since with Mozume everyone without Japanese knowledge would use the long e sound they probably just said "fuck it" and chopped the last syllable up". I was worried they were gonna name her "Momo" instead.

Nohr names are cool too. Zero was changed to "Niles" probably because "Nil" means nothing (like Zero), Selena was changed to Luna because both it was Severa's Japanese name and because Selena is the Greek moon goddess (also being the reason why Selena was changed to Luna in the first place), convenient isn't it? "Arthur" probably sounded more fitting for a pompous hero than Harold (which reminds some to hillbillies, or so) and Belka to "Beruka" was either them not being creative or they wanted to avoid issues with the Ace Combat series. I expect Lazwald to either go unchanged or become "Lazuli" or something. I'm getting the feeling Llewelyn is either Ignis or a boss.

So unit names seem fine, however what really made me grind my gears was this, fucking THIS:

gwW4QUd.png

Malig Knight, fucking seriously? "Malig"? Not even "Malign". God, I'm gonna kill someone in Treehouse one of these days, and don't give me "it's because Malign didn't fit, 12 letters limit" because the fan translation managed to fit the whole "Revenant Knight".

Nice bases, by the way, 21 in Str and 19 in Speed holy shit. Char Sirius in FE12 had 12 Str, and 13 Spd and we thought that was awesome.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So unit names seem fine, however what really made me grind my gears was this, fucking THIS:

gwW4QUd.png

Malig Knight, fucking seriously? "Malig"? Not even "Malign". God, I'm gonna kill someone in Treehouse one of these days, and don't give me "it's because Malign didn't fit, 12 letters limit" because the fan translation managed to fit the whole "Revenant Knight".

I think the name is supposed to be a pun based off of the word Malignant. At least, that's what I heard somewhere -shrug-

I think the name is supposed to be a pun based off of the word Malignant. At least, that's what I heard somewhere -shrug-

I don't really see a pun there, just "Malignant" cut in half.

EDIT:

Wait, shit, is it Malig-knight

malign-nant... nant... night.... ehhhh

Edited by L95

I doubt it, all I hear is "Malig nite" or something. I just hope it's a typo or something, though at this height of development that might as well be the full retail build.

Please don't spam, no matter how "exciting" the international skinship revelation is.

sorry about that.

I'm just suprised that this feature isn't getting removed considering Nintendo has been on a censorship kick as of late

sorry about that.

I'm just suprised that this feature isn't getting removed considering Nintendo has been on a censorship kick as of late

That wasn't meant for you. ;):

Am I the only one who noticed the ! symbol

It only appears when you can skinship

The exclamation marks above their map sprites mean you can talk to them to get their barracks bonus(they pick up an item, gain some support points with a random unit, it's their birthday, etc.), (and probably indicates new people from streetpass, but I've never streetpassed anyone with my JP version for them to appear) it has nothing to do with skinship.

You can skinship with anyone once per chapter anyway, there's no need to indicate that, otherwise everyone would have an exclamation mark.

Edited by L95

The exclamation marks above their map sprites mean you can talk to them to get their barracks bonus(they pick up an item, gain some support points with a random unit, it's their birthday, etc.), (and probably indicates new people from streetpass, but I've never streetpassed anyone with my JP version for them to appear) it has nothing to do with skinship.

You can skinship with anyone once per chapter anyway, there's no need to indicate that, otherwise everyone would have an exclamation mark.

They mean the exclamation mark above the private quarters.

They mean the exclamation mark above the private quarters.

True, but we don't know what's inside until we've seen it.

I'm confident skinship is still in, but they could've replaced it with, say, special conversations instead.

Edited by VincentASM

Skinship or not, I'm getting my game. That's a bonus. A "intresting" bonus. The things in the vid like My castle and the way of creating your own town is awesome. Plus, getting bonus characters from amiibos is cool since I have them.

At least I know I can magically bulldoze the offending feature.

I'll just be sitting here, praying that parts of the game get criticized enough by Western review outlets that Nintendo might consider re-reshuffling IS, to a certain extent or another.

At least I know I can magically bulldoze the offending feature.

I'll just be sitting here, praying that parts of the game get criticized enough by Western review outlets that Nintendo might consider re-reshuffling IS, to a certain extent or another.

Western games get way worse than face fondling past the radar, though. Some M rated games blatant sex scenes in it. ~But it's only wrong if it's from japan~

I hate reviewers nowadays, they feel more like a gauge of how much companies payed the sites than actual reviews.

Western games get way worse than face fondling past the radar, though. Some M rated games blatant sex scenes in it. ~But it's only wrong if it's from japan~

But a game being M rated would be exactly the opposite of things 'getting under the radar'. Plus, I wouldn't say people are simply prudish about some of the fanservice in Fates, just that they find the implementation distasteful.