[Spoiler Alert] New IGN footage showcasing Amiibo and more Characters!

Hoshidokoala

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit that I am very confused at Belka -> Beruka. I guess it's a very literal reading of her name, and technically nobody ever said it was Belka, but it'll still take a lot of getting used to. I am also probably more annoyed about Mozume -> Mozu than I should be.

I was kinda hoping for Belka's name to be changed to Velka maybe, due to 'v' sounds also being written as 'b's in the Japanese alphabets - this is the only name i'm less keen on though.

Niles is quite punny due to his name being Zero, and his localised name containing 'nil' meaning nothing.

I've think i've always preferred Severa's Japanese name anyway, so Selena is great

Mozu sounds just like a nickname, and I agree that it might have been better to name her Mozumi, but I'll cope. I did really hope for Velka though :(

Well, hot springs are not getting removed, and so aren't the "private quarters". Nice.

Which is not good for it's mechanics to do anything in it's power to make it a harder game than anything else. (Classic Mode)

Is pronunciation really a concern when localizing names? Would it matter if people didn't know how to say Mozume? (and for the more dedicated weebs, Japanese is phonetic so it's actually EASIER than English to understand pronunciation).

I believe the exclamation point is actually a signal that you can actually do the thing in there. So....im not sure that little graphic pops up when you have new accessories. Anyone who played the Japanese version wanna confirm that, that would be welcome. So...kinda probably why people are like "yeah skinship is there"

There is a new exclamation point whenever you are able to skinship someone, and it will stay there until all the skinshipping available at the time is done. For example, if you skinship with your spouse but don't skinship with a guest (or vice-versa) the exclamation mark will still be there. Skinship is as good as confirmed to me, but I never doubted it would be in the game.

For Mozume, I really can't think of a "good" reason as to why they would shorten it, unless there's some english and/or japanese meaning I don't know about.

For the others, I can still think of reasons, but Mozu just sounds..eh?

Maybe they're trying to make it sound better, but to me, it still sounds weird -_-

It's possible that it's because I'm too used to Mozume, so maybe people who've never heard of the full name might be more receptive to the shortened name?

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

For Mozume, I really can't think of a "good" reason as to why they would shorten it, unless there's some english and/or japanese meaning I don't know about.

Maybe they're trying to make it sound better, but to me, it still sounds weird -_-

It's possible that it's because I'm too used to Mozume, so maybe people who've never heard of the full name might be more receptive to the shortened name?

Maybe they noticed that the entire planet called Donnel Donny in response to FE13, and figured they'd do the same with Mozu for 14

Well, according to FEWiki, Mozu is the Japanese word for Shrike, a type of bird. Not sure what "me" is, though.

Which is not good for it's mechanics to do anything in it's power to make it a harder game than anything else. (Classic Mode)

No, seriously, what does this mean? It makes the game easier if you're going for support...

What does the exclamation point over MyRoom mean? I think I have an idea but I want to be proven wrong.

From comments people have been making who have played it, I assume it means "hey its time to touch sum face."

Aw, I'm sorry to crush your dreams/idea. :C

I was... fairly certain that it would be cut due to cultural differences and people generally being weirded out by it, and wanted it to be cut.

I suppose NOA must have gotten tired enough of people bitching about localization edits/didn't see any reason to.

I was... fairly certain that it would be cut due to cultural differences and people generally being weirded out by it, and wanted it to be cut.

I suppose NOA must have gotten tired enough of people bitching about localization edits/didn't see any reason to.

Well I mean we still don't 100% know until they flat out show us. If not I wouldn't be surprised they heavily edit it...

I understand they want the names to remain the same, but maybe the Localization Team has a reason for changing them. I mean, I can understand why some people are upset that the Hoshidan names are being chopped down, but again, there's always a reason.

I'm known for bellyaching about names and getting over them in a few years.

But considering how FE14 has characters from a Japanese inspired country making changes like: "Tsubaki --> Subaki"

Like holy hell, change it to the actual translation like "Kohaku --> Amber" or keep it the same.

"Subaki" doesn't mean anything in English.

Then the names they cut down... pretty much killing all their meaning to the character.

It grates at me. Especially since I played the Japanese version.

I think even Jyo (the root admin of Serenes) made a comment about this.

I'm getting "Cardcaptor Sakura anti-Japan dub changes" flashbacks.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'm known for bellyaching about names and getting over them in a few years.

But considering how FE14 has characters from a Japanese inspired country making changes like: "Tsubaki --> Subaki"

Like holy hell, change it to the actual translation like "Kohaku --> Amber" or keep it the same.

"Subaki" doesn't mean anything in English.

Then the names they cut down... pretty much killing all their meaning to the character.

It grates at me. Especially since I played the Japanese version.

I think even Jyo (the root admin of Serenes) made a comment about this.

I'm getting "Cardcaptor Sakura anti-Japan dub changes" flashbacks.

Or "viewers are idiots"; frankly, that's probably closer to the truth than "a few name changes means it's totally anti-Japanese culture!"

I'd like to fire this out to everybody reading; try having a conversation with somebody (or simply talk out-loud to yourself) and use the Japanese names; try getting them in one go, without pausing or fumbling around.

I'm pretty sure the majority of us here had a hard time doing that. We've spent a bunch of time typing the names and not casually mentioning or discussing them. "Hana" and "Kazé" are easier to throw around than "Kazahana" and "Suzukaze".

And as I've said before, there seems to be a general logic to localization name changes; if it's not pronounced exactly how it's spelled, it's changed. "Takumi" and "Yukimura" are pretty straightforward (as is "Hinoka", "Sakura", etc.,); "Mozume" and "Suzukaze" get tricky for those who don't know how to pronounce it (as well as the later being a bit of a mouthful), and "Tsubaki" can be chalked up to many people not differentiating between "Tsu-" and "Su-".

As for Nohr, "Arthur" makes me think of King Arthur; Harold's... eh. "Beruka" is both a literal romanization of the Japanese name and has an actual meaning ("Bearer of Victory"; somewhat fitting for her tight, soldierly demeanor and her assassin training ensuring she gets the job done). "Selena" is fairly expected and understandable; "Xander" brings to mind Alexander the Great and was most likely changed due to lip-lock in cutscenes (does anybody want a Type-0 HD, or even worse a Sonic Adventure?). "Corrin" was a name for the Grecco-Roman god of doors and choices; a bit more significant than being named "a god".

I could go on and list every single name change, but I have yet to a see name change that doesn't make sense or doesn't have some logic behind it.

Really, I find peoples' fascinations with bellyaching over name changes a spot frustrating, especially when we have things like 99% confirmation that the blatant otaku mode was kept in the localization.

As for Nohr, "Arthur" makes me think of King Arthur; Harold's... eh. "

The issue with Harold being Arthur is. We've had an Arthur before, and the fact that it ruins part of the funniness of his luck being horrendous.

Because he's based on King Harold the Unfortunate.

The issue with Harold being Arthur is. We've had an Arthur before, and the fact that it ruins part of the funniness of his luck being horrendous.

Because he's based on King Harold the Unfortunate.

Never knew that last bit; could signify they're going to be focusing more on "heroism" and "justice" over his bad luck.

Also, there's only been an Artur in English-released games.

Though really, the localization logic is kinda weak at points; it's not entirely nonsensical, but it's not the greatest thing either.

Edited by The DanMan

Never that last bit; could signify they're going to be focusing more on "heroism" and "justice" over his bad luck.

Also, there's only been an Artur in English-released games.

Though really, the localization logic is kinda weak at points; it's not entirely nonsensical, but it's not the greatest thing either.

There's Arthur from Genealogy of the Holy War, the son of Azel and Tiltyu. His name was translated to 'Arthur' in Fire Emblem Awakening, where he showed up as a legacy character.

So this marks the second Fire Emblem unit to share a name with a previous character in the series.

Arthur (FE14 Nohrian Fighter) and Arthur (FE4 Second Generation Mage)

Selena (FE14 Nohrian Mercenary) and Selena (FE8 Grado General Mage Knight)

EDIT: Just as 'Kunai' was retranslated into 'Dagger,' there could be a possibility of Arthur's name changing in this more current version. Chances, though, are probably slim.

Edited by Leif