First impressions on FE7 on GBA. And whats good about it??

vazful

Yeah, these are just a few I can think of right now:

- In FE8 Troubadours/Valkyries got nerfed with their Mov being reduced by 1

I never really paid attention to this before....

Valks also uses Light Magic now...

A question also related to this subject.

When it comes to gameplay are there any differences in GBA titles? (/blazing sword/sacred stone/the blinding blade). For example maybe more inventory slots, weapons types, terrain differences etc etc. Or all 3 of them are identical?

FE8 has the most difference compared to the others :

- World Map (including skirmish, Lagdou and Tower of Valnii)

- Branched promotions

- Trainees

- Class skills (a simplified version of the others one.

- EDIT2 : FE8 laso have the convoy being directly linked to the main lord, and not having to deploy it each time.

And some other details here and there.

FE7 has the Magic Seal, in some maps (only gaiden ones.).

FE6 has a playable bandit, and all the maps have the same seize objective.

FE6 is the only one where you can have 2 S Rank (excluding the Japanese versions, at least.)

It is also quite infamous for the absurd bonus given by thrones and gates, making Bosses really hard to hit (especially in hard mode, since the bonus there are absurd...).

I'd say, at first,, it may sems even more bareborne than FE7.

If you don't like FE7, chances are you won't like FE6.

EDIT :Oh, yes. Once you finish FE6, you gain access to Trial Maps, where some of the bosses and important character can be used after you beat the game a certain number of time.

There may be some more specifics difference, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

Edited by Tamanoir

Characters/dialogues -> very bad, childish, uniteresting, no personalities, just generic stuff and characters with random reasons to follow a female just because she is a female

Whenever people say this, it usually ends up ruffling my leaves. (Leafeons don't have feathers lol) Mainly because the characters in question have very definitive personalities and are NOT generic robots like the person claims. Sure, they're not the deepest, most robust characters, but with some 40+ playable characters, do you really expect ALL of them to be top quality? I have more qualms with FEA's characters than FE7's.

Graphics -> i cant say they are good, i actually thing the visuals are bad. just too bright. SNES visuals ARE wayyy better.

Perhaps you should stop and think about the origins of both games. SNES was a TV console. GBA was a handheld that, when it first came out, didn't even have a backlit screen, or any lighting at all. The bright, vivid colors of FE7 are simply to make it easier for the player to see it on GBA. It's only when we view these games on our monitor screens (or if you have a GBA player as I did, the TV screen) that we notice how bright the colors are.

Here's my score for no reason:

Sound -> Was decent for its time, but the soundtrack generally just doesn't appeal to me in the way FE8's did. 7/10

Main story idea -> It's not the best plot in the world, but I've certainly seen worse. It managed to pull my heart strings at one point, so I guess that's a plus. 5/10

Characters/dialogues -> Very diverse selection of characters, and the personalities are, for the most part, pretty good. 8/10

Graphics -> They were really great for their time. Better than FE6's, and as I said before, the colors are excusable because of the system they were originally on. FE8 came out after the GBA SP and, I think, after the GB Player add-on for Gamecube. It could get away with the darker colors.

Overall, the major reason I don't like FE7 is because 1: If you want to start a new file, you have to sit through a tutorial that literally dictates your EVERY action. (I heard hard mode averts this, but you can't even do that until after you beat the game once!) 2: If I don't want my characters to die, they can only wield iron or silver weapons for the majority of the game. Heck, even the legendary weapons will get them killed because they weigh them down too much!

I can sit through a bad story so long as the gameplay is good and I can attach myself to a character. The tutorial really turns me off, though. :/

Edited by BlueLeafeon

Overall, the major reason I don't like FE7 is because 1: If you want to start a new file, you have to sit through a tutorial that literally dictates your EVERY action. (I heard hard mode averts this, but you can't even do that until after you beat the game once!) 2: If I don't want my characters to die, they can only wield iron or silver weapons for the majority of the game. Heck, even the legendary weapons will get them killed because they weigh them down too much!

I can sit through a bad story so long as the gameplay is good and I can attach myself to a character. The tutorial really turns me off, though. :/

There's a Tutorial Slayer patch floating around in the Fan Projects forum, which makes the game more bearable, I'd recommend checking it out. Compared to the SNES games, GBA gameplay is a little bland, but easy to adapt to.

FE7 was designed in mind to help newcomers in the series. I will admit that the tutorial is PAINFUL handholding but the game has shining moments after that part of the game. The supports were improved to make players care and identify with the characters, the graphics were made to make the game fast and smooth and the story was simple but still keeping a good pace and the soundtrack is really good for the GBA (but then again the soundtrack in the GBA is fantastic)

• 2 weeks later...

These days I just skip Lyn Mode altogether, and head straight to Eliwood/Hector Mode. The game is great for beginners in the series, and the plot is decent even if there are flaws. The characters in the game have great personalities, and some of them rank among my favourites in fact. The Hard Modes offer a nice change of pace, not too steep in terms of difficulty. Oh, and Companions is my favourite player phase theme in the series.

Edited by DragonLord

FE6 has a playable bandit, and all the maps have the same seize objective.

FE6 is the only one where you can have 2 S Rank (excluding the Japanese versions, at least.)

It is also quite infamous for the absurd bonus given by thrones and gates, making Bosses really hard to hit (especially in hard mode, since the bonus there are absurd...).

I'd say, at first,, it may sems even more bareborne than FE7.

If you don't like FE7, chances are you won't like FE6.

EDIT :Oh, yes. Once you finish FE6, you gain access to Trial Maps, where some of the bosses and important character can be used after you beat the game a certain number of time.

There may be some more specifics difference, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

FE6 also has this quirk where only the Cavalier line are weak to anti-cavalry weapons. Nomad and Troubadour lines don't take bonus damage.

• 3 weeks later...

I can say there's one bad thing, and that's the opening post. If you want to know what's good about something, don't dismiss things as "generic". FE7 requires some reading between the lines, and one of the mechanics isn't introduced in Lyn Mode (that's supports).

FE7 shows a lot of things (like the main plot), but forces the reader to seek out the rest (like individual character insights). Weapons don't need to be repaired, because they can be bought en masse. And UNLIKE FE4, your units can gain weapon ranks - no more having that Silver Sword locked to Sigurd for a long time!