How do you play Fire Emblem?

Avarice Shadow

68 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play your Fire Emblem games?

• Reset
    • Ironman
  2. 2. Would you ever play the game with the opposite playstyle?

• Yes
    • No

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

Just wondering how people play Fire Emblem.

Do you reset everytime someone dies? Or do you continue on despite character deaths(Ironman)? And why? Would you ever play the game in the opposite way?

I always reset if one unit dies, it has actually become a habit, but recently I've been wanting to try playing without resetting.

Normally, I do reset when someone dies. And I have tried it the other way in my hardcore Sacred Stones playthrough. Didn't last to long though...

Then Awakening came along and I just soldier through the map knowing the units will be just fine afterward XD

I wouldn't mind playing Ironman for the challenge, though I'd have to ease myself into it before I tried something like Ironman Lunatic. I simply haven't gotten around to doing one yet since I have other playthroughs I have to finish.

I like my characters far too much to leave them dead

that changed a bit in modes where I can't save in mid chapter like Awakening Classic so sometimes I just left them dead, but I reset a lot usually cause too lazy to check how many enemies are actually in range of me

I'd like to try ironman at some point though!

To me, one of the most rewarding things about Fire Emblem is clearing maps without losing anyone, so I always reset. I get easily attached to the characters and it just feels so bad to leave them behind even when I know I'm not going to use them in battles. Their death quotes make me feel awful! I like playing Awakening with hard-casual, and even then I always reset when someone "dies". (I play casual because you can save in the middle of a battle - starting from the beginning can be super frustrating at times.)

I'm playing Shadow Dragon now, and I'm somewhat tempted to try ironman for the first time. It's my fifth Fire Emblem, so I might as well try playing differently this time.

Edited by Cadmium

Never Ironman (unless I do for pure boredom), I keep all units alive (I care about them, and also curious about their own endings anyway) and, normally, pick the best ones to play with.

Basically, I tend to choose all characters in equal terms. Per map I play, I pick those I didn't play before, so I can see their own future potential based on how they grow up their own stats.

Example, in FE7, I no longer play Florina after post-Lyn's prologue because ... sigh, has really weak stats to begin with. Poor girl, sorry I have to keep her in the forgotten zone, among other few characters.

Edited by Edrall

Reset. Even though I dislike some units, I still want them alive. The main reason is, I may have went through shit to get them, so I won't let them die.

The other reason is I just like getting all the characters and I like to watch their endings.

That's quite interesting we have a special term for not resetting when someone die and not the opposite...

Well, I reset when someone dies except when I do Casual (unless it's a really important unit like the thief, or main healer, because completing becomes passably harder, so even in Casual, restting is therule) Obviously, even in Casual, I try to limit death as much as possible

I need everyone to be around the same level (at least before promotion...), so that means I don't always go for the optimal solution (and never uses early prepromotes as anything else than a meatshield.).

I also usually plays as prudently as possible (some will say "turtling"), and if there aren't any incentive to move forwards (thief/bandit assaulting chests/villages), I can camp undefinitely.

I also go for max completion, so no matter how usefull a chest/village/recruit is, I'll try to have it, and reset otherwise.

I reset if it's someone I care about or they have important stuff on them/they recruit someone. If it's someone I haven't invested much time into, I let them die.

In all games but Shadow Dragon, I reset when ANY recruitable character dies. Simply because I don't want to get to the end of the game and have the guilt trippy statements thrown into my hard-earned happy ending. :|

Shadow Dragon, however, is a different story. Not really because the game likes to reward you for killing people off, but because I feel like it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to beat the game without SOMEBODY dying. I still reset if one of my favorite characters (the ones I'm using) dies, but there's a busload of other characters that, if they somehow manage to die before I can recruit them/reach them/etc, I just let them go.

Especially in that desert chapter with Gharnef, where I'm pretty much forced to sacrifice someone to keep my better units from dying. <_<;

Then I refuse to watch the ending.

Otherwise, my strategy in Fire Emblem tends to be a "slow and steady" rate, mixed between defense or offensive, depending on the chapter/how strong the enemy units are. I usually lean towards defensive, if possible.

Reset

It's not so much about characters dying that I care about (well okay, depends on the character) so much as if someone dies, then I feel my strategy is imperfect. Especially considering FE doesn't have a replay button for main story chapters, this will bother me.

I do the same in games without permadeath-like I will restart parts or all of an assassin's creed mission to get the optional objectives--except I'm slightly more lenient on it if it takes me too long, because I can at least replay that. 100% sync is still the goal. I have the same approach to FE.

Ironman will fuck up my perfectionism so I can't see myself doing that.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Reset. Because there's no way I'll let anyone die if I know I can prevent it! And I just don't want to miss anything so even if I go through a chapter and everyone is alive but a could get something but I didn't I will reset it.

I probably would never do a Ironman style run since honestly I would drive myself crazy for letting someone die or missing out on something.

I play with resets on classic most of the time. The only exceptions to that were my first playthrough of Awakening, which I played on Casual because I was simultaneously going ironman on a hard Radiant Dawn playthrough and it was a bit stressful to go for difficulty on two games at once.

Also went Ironman on Blazing Sword because I didn't really care to reset, and Shadow Dragon just because it was my first game and I didn't think to in my first playthroughs.

I'd totally do Sacred Stones, Awakening, or Fates ironman in the future though.

Edited by majora_787

I've generally played with generous amounts of resetting, but I tried ironman fe6 up to that damn level where you have to keep Douglas alive and forsook my policy after losing a thief, I'm nitpicky about getting all the treasure. Up to that point, though, it was kind of exhilarating knowing you were committing to only playing through each level once, and it forced you to actually try to make the right decisions, lol.

My first ever run was an ill-prepared Iron Man run. It turned me off IM runs for years. Now I play reset for the first 1-2 runs, and Iron Man afterwards. Sometimes I do a combination of the two where I won't reset for certain characters, only reset 1st/2nd half, etc.

I doubt anyone exclusively does Ironman, lol.

I always reset, even for characters I don't like. To me, the self imposed challenge of equating a single casualty to a game over is an integral element of the game. Like Thor said above, anyone dying, whether I need them or not, shows my strategy was imperfect and that just won't do.

I am curious about doing a Ironman, just to see how it affects my play style.

• 2 weeks later...

In all games but Shadow Dragon, I reset when ANY recruitable character dies. Simply because I don't want to get to the end of the game and have the guilt trippy statements thrown into my hard-earned happy ending. :|

Shadow Dragon, however, is a different story. Not really because the game likes to reward you for killing people off, but because I feel like it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to beat the game without SOMEBODY dying. I still reset if one of my favorite characters (the ones I'm using) dies, but there's a busload of other characters that, if they somehow manage to die before I can recruit them/reach them/etc, I just let them go.

Especially in that desert chapter with Gharnef, where I'm pretty much forced to sacrifice someone to keep my better units from dying. <_<;

Then I refuse to watch the ending.

Otherwise, my strategy in Fire Emblem tends to be a "slow and steady" rate, mixed between defense or offensive, depending on the chapter/how strong the enemy units are. I usually lean towards defensive, if possible.

It's absolutely possible to finish the game without losing anyone. It might be tough if you're playing a higher difficulty, though.

As for me, I always reset, because as a general rule I can't bear to allow preventable character deaths to occur in video games. The only exception is Shadow Dragon when I decide I want to do a Sidequest run, in which case I deliberately get large swaths of my team massacred. I still feel bad about doing so, though.

Ironman sounds pretty interesting, though; I might try it sometime I feel like challenging myself.