The Year's Almost Over... Which is Your GOTY?

Jave

2015 had its fair share of games, some good, some bad, some amazing, some forgettable. Whether on Wii U, PS4, XB1, 3DS or PC, there's certainly a lot to choose from. But which one was your absolute favorite? The Game of the Year, in your eyes?

(No poll, btw. Way too many games to choose from and I know I'm going to miss some if I do that)

For me, the GOTY is without a doubt Splatoon. The Third Person Shooter made by Nintendo that caught the world by surprise with its unique mechanics and charismatic characters. When I first saw the trailer back at E3 2014, the game certainly caught my attention, and while it became one of my most anticipated games, I never expected to love it as much as I expected. The controls are great, the customization is varied and addictive, the online is fantastic, and most important of all, the game is super fun.

I'm not even a fan of shooters, and I definitely never expected a shooter to be my GOTY, yet here we are. I guess Nintendo did the impossible.

I'm gonna go with Phantom Pain. The story isn't great, but it's got some great voice performances and emotional moments. Coupled with what is probably the most fluid stealth mechanics in the whole series, MGSV is one of the best experiences I've ever had on the video game medium.

But then again, I haven't played a whole lot of new games this year, and still need to take a shot at Witcher 3.

There is only one answer.

nSnRmCG.gif

(I haven't played any games that were released this year besides Mega Man Legacy Collection; I should get around to Splatoon since I own it)

I don't think I played many new releases this year: Triforce Heroes, Necrodancer, Zestiria, Type-0 HD, Arkham Knight, and I believe that is it. While I'm only halfway through the first character, Necrodancer has to be it for me, though. Type-0 HD was also pretty good for a PSP remaster imo. I also just got Zestiria, so more time with it may make me love it more.

EDIT: Also Undertale, but I found it not living up to expectations. It's still really damn good, but the hype made it seem better than it was for me.

Also I've only finished like one game on this goddamn list because i keep going back to replay old games. sopleasedontkillmeohundertalefanboys

Edited by Blyvern

I only played two games that came out this year, and both of them were amazing.

Can I do joint GOTY for 2015?

If so- I want to say that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and The Room 3 were my GOTY.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D- Offered a bucket load of content, a good story and brilliant voice acting. I put about 130 hours into this game, and I still haven't done all the side quests and stuff (I have defeated the final boss though)

The Room 3- A lot shorter than Xenoblade, but it's beautiful, is really well made and is challenging. I still haven't gone for the other endings yet, but I will do. (Getting them all is a Guide Dang It! Though...) It also has a really good plot, even though it's only told in letters from a mysterious man. Play The Room and the Room 2 before playing this one though.

If it counts, then The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC gets my vote. If not, then it's probably Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Eh, I'll guess I'll give a brief explanation as to why I said these two games:

TitS SC: I really can't recall another game where I can just walk down a random route and be engrossed in the world. Playing this game immediately after finishing the first game in the trilogy (which is my favourite game of this year, though it didn't come out in the West this year) just made it feel like one lengthy but incredible game. The soundtrack, the characterization and writing (credits to the localisers, XSEED), and the overall presentation are all amazing. It also doesn't help that Estelle, the main protagonist, is one of the best written characters I've encountered in a game. It's a living, breathing world, and it feels believable. Truly a fantastic game, and I can't wait for the final game in the trilogy to get localised

MH4U: This game is just jam-packed with content, and it'll very rarely feel repetitive, despite the hundreds of hours you can pour into the game. And if you do feel that repetitiveness, you can just change your playstyle and/or change weapons. The story in this MH is a bit more substantial than in previous games. It's not much, but it did give me more a reason to play the single player of the game until completion. But, the main meat of this game is with the online multiplayer, and it really shines there. The franchise is the only one I can think of that gives me satisfaction for just beating a monster. I just get too invested in the gameplay, I guess

Edited by DodgeDusk

There were many awesome games, but I'm going with necrodancer. It was extremely addictive, and it looks like it has the most hours of any game I played on steam this year besides tits second chapter. Ys Origin is still my most played Steam game.

Of the games I've currently played this year, my current GOTY is Rodea the Sky Soldier (Wii). However, there are several other games released this year which I've yet to play (Splatoon, Freedom Planet, Gunstar Heroes 3D, Fast Racing Neo, Majora's Mask 3D), so who knows? I might just be blown away when I get to them in 2016.

If your answer isn't "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt"... you didn't play The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

I did. And...

Axiom Verge. (EDIT: No, wait, scratch that. Infinifactory)

Edited by OakTree