That One Boss 3.0 (or 4.0?)

fengaridotdll

It's difficult for me to take stupid people seriously. Especially those who just make shit up to cover for their inadequacies.

This is a post where I point out why Raven and Karol are so good. They both heal fast in a game where you actually need fast healing (I'm assuming that you've never played on Hard, never mind Unknown) and are incredibly good at their jobs if you understand how to work them. And both are better than Estelle by a country mile.

And the likes of you piss me off to no end, so...

This is why I'm saying that you're bad at this game. Because you refuse to agree with shit that is correct.

Both Nice Curing Smash and Love Shot are immediate artes that don't get interrupted. Nice Curing Smash heals 50% of max HP while Love Shot is 15% per arrow and targets the person with the lowest HP percentage. They're also better on TP. Oh and Love Shot CAN target the same character more than once. This is like you saying "Big Bang can kill". It's flat out wrong.

Want some proof? Nightingale heals 48% max HP (to the full party), needs a long incantation, can be interrupted and costs 55 TP. Nice Curing Smash is 50% max HP heal in a good sized radius, is instantaneous, can be aimed if you are even half decent at this game and costs 30 TP. Karol's "slow speed" is nothing compared to a fucking incantation.

Bold: I must not have seen it then.

I don't know what your standards for "good sized radius" are, but I know for a fact that they aren't the same as mine. Even then, I don't really like area healing moves unless they have a really good radius, which is what, Revitalize (which, admittedly, has its issues)? In fairness, Karol's healing moves get their radius expanded with continuous use, but it's just not enough for me. And FYI, I have beaten the game on Hard before. Also, you mentioning Nice Curing Smash made me realize another of Karol's issues - it's an altered arte... of another altered arte, and considering that he can't even get the weapon he needs to get Nice Healing Smash (the altered arte in question) until late in the game, with That One Boss around the corner...

Back to the topic at hand, Alexei. He hits hard, which is bad enough, but Brilliant Cataclysm hits like a truck and has a very wide area of effect.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun fact is that I played Vesperia the entire time on hard mode unintendially and had no problems with all the bosses after Gattuso, only some of the gigantos gave me a hard time. Could even beat Duke on hard mode with my level 70 units, after I've beaten him on normal mode.

In Tales of Xillia I failed against the third main boss (the boss who wants to capture Elize) on easy. In general I'm really bad in the latest Tales of games, because I really dislike the camera perspective in the battles. Still fan of the side camera.

It's difficult for me to take stupid people seriously. Especially those who just make shit up to cover for their inadequacies.

Please not using words like this.

I'll say that healing is pretty much the main thing I do in any game. I mainly played as Sharla in Xenoblade because I enjoyed being passive assistance.

That's why I'm a Psycorruptor in Xenoblade X. Irina's Healing Art is pretty much the only half-way decent one but it's still a struggle to keep everyone healed. That's why pretty much every boss in X is "That One Boss" because omg no Sharla

it's pretty telling that my xenoblade primary team was Sharla/Seven/Melia when it comes to utility. I used everyone a lot though, but Reyn certainly got the short end of the stick.

so yeah I could imagine that Moriarty could be correct but he could express his opinions in a better fashion than outright insults because FYI that's flaming

So all the namecalling banter aside, I'll post my own "That One Boss".

Whitney.

Yes, the Normal Type Gym Leader in Generation 2. (4 if you're on HG/SS) Being the 3rd Gym Leader you get access to, it becomes a major surprise how much of a difficulty hike there was from the 2nd Gym Leader (Bugsy) to her.

Her Clefairy isn't all that bad. Just squash it with a strong fighting move, and you're good. (though if you're a slow fighting pokemon, and it pulls psychic, then prepare to cry.)
Her Miltank, on the other hand, is a goddamn nightmare. It's faster than every single pokemon you have up to this point. It's very strong, and has the bulk to tank even a super effective hit. Worse yet, if Whitney hasn't burned a Full Restore on it yet, it also has access to Milk Drink, which pretty much nullifies any effort you may have put on if you scratched and clawed your way to that point. We all know about Rollout (and by that point in time, we don't even get the Protect TM yet), and as if to add more insult to injury, she has a strong STAB move with a 30% chance to flinch. Worse yet, you don't get steel type pokemon until much later.

Oh, and it gets worse. In Gen 4, her Miltank has the Scrappy ability, which limits your switchins to this monster even moreso. Needless to say, having her use "Attract" on your unfortunately male pokemon is probably the least of your worries.

Also, someone before mentioned Demyx.

Dear god.

NO.

JUST.

NO.

Edited by Falaflame

I'll say that healing is pretty much the main thing I do in any game. I mainly played as Sharla in Xenoblade because I enjoyed being passive assistance.

That's why I'm a Psycorruptor in Xenoblade X. Irina's Healing Art is pretty much the only half-way decent one but it's still a struggle to keep everyone healed. That's why pretty much every boss in X is "That One Boss" because omg no Sharla

it's pretty telling that my xenoblade primary team was Sharla/Seven/Melia when it comes to utility. I used everyone a lot though, but Reyn certainly got the short end of the stick.

so yeah I could imagine that Moriarty could be correct but he could express his opinions in a better fashion than outright insults because FYI that's flaming

On that note, I tend to be reluctant to switch out anyone with a good multi-heal ability, even though I'm prone to rotating my party every now and then. I might even go so far as to control a healer type character depending on the game.

That said, I'd consider the Mt. Roneal battle with the God-Generals as That One Boss. Considering that you have 3 targets to fight, and one of those is Arietta, who's herself That One Boss (more on that later; in this fight, she also packs a doll that must be stolen, for the completionists out there), the damage tends to go up quickly. Worse yet, Tales of the Abyss doesn't have Nurse (or for that matter, any good multi-healing options - all you have are Healing Circle, Holy Song, and Revitalize, all of which are impractical for one reason or another), which results in staying alive being even more difficult than it already is...

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I'll never ever will forget the fight against the three in Mt. Roneal.

Natalia soloed Arietta and Largo after all the others died, the same time when Legretta was down.

I agree that they're the hardest main bosses in Abyss.

More painful are their mystic artes, mainly Arietta's big bang.

The best strategy is to take down the two artes using ladies first.

Largo is no real problem since he's slow as hell.

Aww, boo hoo. Did Mommy teach you that stupid is a bad word? How about I give you a glass of warm milk and cookies too.

Grow up.

I don't belong to these people, who'd feel insulted when someone call me "stupid".

However I think there are still people here, who don't like to be called with this term.

I only mentioned it to spare you possible trouble.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

And the likes of you piss me off to no end, so...

Bold: I must not have seen it then.

I don't know what your standards for "good sized radius" are, but I know for a fact that they aren't the same as mine. Even then, I don't really like area healing moves unless they have a really good radius, which is what, Revitalize (which, admittedly, has its issues)? In fairness, Karol's healing moves get their radius expanded with continuous use, but it's just not enough for me. And FYI, I have beaten the game on Hard before. Also, you mentioning Nice Curing Smash made me realize another of Karol's issues - it's an altered arte... of another altered arte, and considering that he can't even get the weapon he needs to get Nice Healing Smash (the altered arte in question) until late in the game, with That One Boss around the corner...

Back to the topic at hand, Alexei. He hits hard, which is bad enough, but Brilliant Cataclysm hits like a truck and has a very wide area of effect.

Again. Alexei is not a hard boss. You are bad at the game. The only bosses that are even a little bit difficult are Gattuso (because of how early he shows up) and Yeager only if you're going for SM17. Other than that, the game is a cakewalk, even on Unknown.

As for NCS being an altered arte, yeah you're right. And so is Nightingale. In fact, Nightingale requires 50 full Nurse casts to be learned. As for NCS, it only need 100 instantaneous uses of Nice Healing Smash which is already awesome. Plus, Karol starts becoming a legit tank at that point in game where he just doesn't die. Ever.

Please not using words like this.

Aww, boo hoo. Did Mommy teach you that stupid is a bad word? How about I give you a glass of warm milk and cookies too.

Grow up.

TIL Moriarty is a bad poster who flames to no end and has like self-esteem issues or something because most people aren't so terribly savage and all around rude.

On that note, I tend to be reluctant to switch out anyone with a good multi-heal ability, even though I'm prone to rotating my party every now and then. I might even go so far as to control a healer type character depending on the game.

That said, I'd consider the Mt. Roneal battle with the God-Generals as That One Boss. Considering that you have 3 targets to fight, and one of those is Arietta, who's herself That One Boss (more on that later; in this fight, she also packs a doll that must be stolen, for the completionists out there), the damage tends to go up quickly. Worse yet, Tales of the Abyss doesn't have Nurse (or for that matter, any good multi-healing options - all you have are Healing Circle, Holy Song, and Revitalize, all of which are impractical for one reason or another), which results in staying alive being even more difficult than it already is...

I always need the heals. I'm terribly bad and will tend to struggle without healing. I'm playing through Persona 3 as well, and I'm on 4/28. I fused away Pixie and Apsaras for Nekomata so I could do Kenji's Social Link and get more points. I was reluctant because even though I could get them through Shuffle Time, Cadenza was pretty much my life. That's why I went ahead and fought the Venus Eagles first, and lo and behold, I needed Cadenza. Edited by Miss Kira

This is a post where I point out why Raven and Karol are so good. They both heal fast in a game where you actually need fast healing (I'm assuming that you've never played on Hard, never mind Unknown) and are incredibly good at their jobs if you understand how to work them. And both are better than Estelle by a country mile.

Chill out. Tone down your swearing and stop calling people stupid. If you want people to take you seriously, you can't attack them for disagreeing with you. Don't do it again, or we'll suspend you.

TIL Moriarty is a bad poster who flames to no end and has like self-esteem issues or something because most people aren't so terribly savage and all around rude.

I always need the heals. I'm terribly bad and will tend to struggle without healing. I'm playing through Persona 3 as well, and I'm on 4/28. I fused away Pixie and Apsaras for Nekomata so I could do Kenji's Social Link and get more points. I was reluctant because even though I could get them through Shuffle Time, Cadenza was pretty much my life. That's why I went ahead and fought the Venus Eagles first, and lo and behold, I needed Cadenza.

Don't fall into the trap of firing back. This is equally against the rules.

Phantasy Star 2- Dark Force (AKA the one actually difficult boss)

"Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

This is Pandora's Box! It contains all that is evil, all that you call the dark force!

This is a present from our world to all of you!

T̤̟͕͂̿͛̍͛a̓҉̞̜͎͍̜k̡͓̄͒ͮe͎̲̠ͪ̈́ͭ͛̚ ͇̍͆͛͡i̪t̬ͬ͂̀!ͬͫ̿͝""

Dark Force may have two attacks only, but both are lethal.

Its regular attack hits everyone for 40-150 damage. At this point of time, characters have 150 to 250 HP. This could possibly mean an instakill on one of the three mages/healers you can get in the game. The Snow Crown, Deban or Shu/Sashu to reduce the damage, but not by much. At least it makes attacks less lethal.

Its special attack is to make a character "evil", and force them to commit either of the seven-plus-one deadly sins. A posses party member may:

-Attempt to steal items from other people (Lust/Greed/Gluttony?)

-Turn traitor and attempt to run from the battle (Pride?)

-Turn doubtful and fight less furiously, attack and accuracy drop severely (...self-wrath?)

-Become lazy and reduce speed and defense drop severely (Sloth)

-Lose confidence, unable to use techniques. (Envy)

And...

-Crushed by despair. Cannot do anything at all. Ever. (Despair)

Note that this game, until this boss battle, has no status aliments save poison and death, and poison isn't a big deal. Suddenly getting clonked by a permanent paralysis, silence, confusion and fright status at the same time is just evil. It can do this to all four party members you bring along as many times as it likes, too.

There is only one item that can cure it, and only does it at a random chance, one at a time.

Imagine if everyone was crushed by despair and Dark Force whittles your characters HP to 0 using his normal attack. It's really infuriating.

Probably why most people level grind Rolf and Amy to Level 35 and 30 respectively so that they can spam the Megia/Nasar combo. But even then Rolf and Amy don't stand a better chance of not turning evil than anyone else.

I commend you if you beat Dark Force with Rolf, Hugh, Shir and Anna. (weakest possible combination) Because I can't.

The final boss of Tomb Raider III, whatever it's name is. This guy is such a pain that even with my preteen tenacity I ended up throwing the towel. The boss kept killing me in one hit, the environment kept killing me in on hit and I had no idea what to even do or even what I can step on without dying. I figured out that you can pick up the artifact, but I did not figure out how to do so without getting killed during the animation.

Edited by BrightBow

Monoblos from Monster Hunter 4 G/U... if using a lance/gunlance or if you're "guardblading" with a Charge Blade. He's fast and aggressive regardless, but the icing on the cake is that he does a stupidly large amount of chip damage (it's the only monster to ever have killed me through a blocked attack with my Charge Blade). For the majority of weapons it's not an issue, as they can't block at all and rely entirely on evasion. Sword and Shield along with Great Sword use their shields as last resorts. Lances, Gunlances, and overcharged Charge Blades have the best guarding capabilities in the game... and Monoblos still hits for a bunch of chip damage. It can be mitigated with the Charge Blade due to it actually possessing mobility. Lance and Gunlance, though, are toast if you get backed into an corner (and considering you have the speed of a turtle with the weapon drawn, it's pretty likely).

Edited by The DanMan

An update to my previous post, I finally beat Dark Force with the worst possible party combination but it took grinding to the max level, level 50, Shir spamming stealing Star Dews because that's the only AOE heal in the game save the very expensive spell SAR/GISAR/NASAR.

The party I made is Rolf (main character, must bring along), Hugh, Shir, Anna.

Hugh did many NAFOIs, Shir used the Snow Crown, then Star Dews till Rolf is out of TP from casting MEGID, then she casted NAZAN. Anna used SHIFT on herself to buff her Attack, then use her regular attack and Star Dews when necessary. Rolf uses three MEGIDs, a few NATHUs, and then sword attacks.

I had to reset around 500 times because status effects and 10% dispel chance. But I did it, and I'm satisfied.

Another I want to put on here is again Dark Souls 2, but its more getting to the boss than the boss itself. The Old Iron King boss is such a pain in the ass. Mostly because just getting to him is a long grind that drains your resources by the time you get to him. He himself isnt that hard to deal with. His attacks are slow, the alcove allows you to escape most his attacks, and he doesn't try to dodge anything, but when you only have 1-2 used on your estus flask, using secondary weapons because the others are on low durability, and are low on spells he becomes a pain. That and if you die while fighting him, have fun with your 15-30 minute run back, because you have to go through it all again. I have lost more soul points in this zone than fighting any other boss in the game. I so far have lost about 1 million soul points to this zone collectively over all of my characters.

Treasure of the Rudras is typically the kind of game when you need to know what you're doing, and the bosses difficulty is heavily dependant of your knowledge in spells.

Yet, Silvaithan, Rize's scenario's first boss is pretty hellish. You have only two characters, and the ennemy hits hard, doesn't have any spell weaknesses.

And, it's kind cheating but : Hourai High School Final Boss is litterally That One Boss... because it's the only real boss battle.
To clarify. Hourai High School is easy as hell, ennemis are weaklings, and still the encounter rate is freaking high, your party will be vastly overleveled at the time. For 99% of the battles, you can just hit the auto battle option. The only exceptions arethe trains that are only weak to Specials, and the final form of the final boss. It's not particularily difficult, mind you, but compared to everything until now, it's an incredible leap in difficulty.

You have to actually pay attention to the battle, uses specials, healing.

Scylla was a pain in the ass in Etrian Odyssey 2. She is STILL a pain in the ass in Etrian Odyssey 2: Untold, even with Fafnir and the appropriate element/status protection.

Shout-out to the ice dragon from the same game, as well, since it'll randomly counter you (as in, it takes no damage and you eat a ton of it) once it gets low on health. And this one can't be stopped with a bind.

Fudou Myouou in Dungeon Travelers 2 is quite a pain. She always have a prehemptive attack, and will cast a spell that create clones of herself (Like Pokemon's substitutes. Except she makes lots of the and don't sacrifice herself.)

She have the passive Mind's Eye skill, which sometimes negates damage AND damage the attacker and she can summon 2 familiars for more damage. She also possess skill with insant death effects to be even more annoying.

Scylla was a pain in the ass in Etrian Odyssey 2. She is STILL a pain in the ass in Etrian Odyssey 2: Untold, even with Fafnir and the appropriate element/status protection.

Shout-out to the ice dragon from the same game, as well, since it'll randomly counter you (as in, it takes no damage and you eat a ton of it) once it gets low on health. And this one can't be stopped with a bind.

The Ice Dragon in the first EOU had a similar skill, no?

I think its counter was mostly turn based, but it still was annoying.

Isher from Riviera is a pain in the ass. It's resistant to physical attacks at a point in the game where most of your weapons are physical, and to make matters worse, it has a chance to guard any attack. Not fun.

The Ice Dragon in the first EOU had a similar skill, no?

I think its counter was mostly turn based, but it still was annoying.

Something like arm bind could cause that skill to fail. In EO2U, binding doesn't seem to negate the counter.

• 3 weeks later...

Gulcasa in Yggdra Union. First problem you have: His weapon. Scythes are good against swords, spears, and axes, and are bad against nothing. He also backs this up with good stats, but the kicker is his personal card, Genocide. It sacrifices whatever units left when he uses it to power him up, and if he gets it off, losing means you lose even more morale. The worst part? He's a recurring boss.

Deko in Stage 6 of Sin & Punishment 2.

The end of the marathon which is Stage 6 is mostly a boss rush. And all of them being a massive pain in the rear. The Infant Keeper in particular deserves mention. But Deko is just the worst of them all.

With him, the game turns into a true bullet hell with a massive amounts of mechs, footsoldiers and turrets filling the screen with projectiles. And to add insult to injury, the soldiers like to jump to the front and wait for you to get into range to club you with their riffle. A very plain move but scarily effective while you are busy surviving on a screen filled with shiny projectiles. Deko himself is immune to rapid fire and melee attacks, so the only options are charged shots and reflected missiles. It's utterly crucial to maximise your damage output and to reflect as many missiles as possible because with this ridiculous onslaught defeat is just a matter of time no matter how hard you try.

This fight is particular daunting because Deko himself doesn't do anything, merely levitating in the air and acting like he is sitting on a comfy hover chair. After the battle Deko gets off his ass for two more phases. And yeah, they are a massive pain, featuring among other things a minefield, invincible dragon familiars and some homoerotic SM stuff. but they don't quite reach the same level as his first phase.

...unfortunately this isn't even his final form, so Deko later returns as the final boss of the game. While I spent countless of retries and probably hours on this guy and he is most certainly one of the most challenging bosses I've ever beat, there is not a lot to say about him. You are not limited to one screen and can move up, down and sideways as much as you like but otherwise there are no tricks here. He is just really frickin' hard.

Edited by BrightBow

The Capra Demon from Dark Souls.

By himself in a moderately sized area he's not hard, actually quite easy

With 2 dogs in a some random assholes closet, he's fucking bullshit

Edited by Havel The Goddamn Rock

From Trails of Cold Steel :

Unsurtr, the Schoolhouse 5F Boss. (That Frozen Dragon-Thingy with the neck horn.)

Not only does he have tons of HP, and Def, he also have a high attack, and specializes in AOE Attack (or Spells)that can froze you.

But the most absurd thing about this boss is his speed. He may be the fastest ennemy in the game, so he can easily destroy you before you can even act and cast spell before you can block it.

Less annoying, but still quite painfull is the Stone Golem for Chapter 3. His main problem is that he doesn't have any true weaknesss. He has tons of HP, immense Def and good ADF. He resist nearly all the elements except Wind which only does base damage, and he can only be unbalanced by Strike Attack (but physical attacks don't do too many damage).

He ony does physical attacks that hurt a group and push them asides.

At the end of the level in which you get Grunt in Mass Effect 2 you have to kill a Blue Suns Lieutenant named Jedora, the fucking bane of Sentinel and Adept characters everywhere, as you also have to fight her fuckton of Krogan Berserkers who are tanky as shit and hit like a truck at close range. They also love to attack you from both sides at once, making the quite limited amounts cover useless. All the while there's a YMIR mech stomping around, a reoccuring enemy that is made of pure hellmurder as it has a shit load of Shield energy and armor, combined with a mingun and rocket launcher to rip you and your party to shreds. All of this while Jedora's firing rockets at you from the other side of the room.

Have Fun.

Edited by Havel The Goddamn Rock

From Trails of Cold Steel :

Unsurtr, the Schoolhouse 5F Boss. (That Frozen Dragon-Thingy with the neck horn.)

Not only does he have tons of HP, and Def, he also have a high attack, and specializes in AOE Attack (or Spells)that can froze you.

But the most absurd thing about this boss is his speed. He may be the fastest ennemy in the game, so he can easily destroy you before you can even act and cast spell before you can block it.

Less annoying, but still quite painfull is the Stone Golem for Chapter 3. His main problem is that he doesn't have any true weaknesss. He has tons of HP, immense Def and good ADF. He resist nearly all the elements except Wind which only does base damage, and he can only be unbalanced by Strike Attack (but physical attacks don't do too many damage).

He ony does physical attacks that hurt a group and push them asides.

Out of curiosity, getting physically attacked while frozen isn't instant death, is it?