That One Boss 3.0 (or 4.0?)

fengaridotdll

It's worth noting that both the Baten Kaitos series and the Xeno series are made by Monolith Soft.

Huh.

-Speaking of Xenoblade... The Defensive Kromars (though it's more "That One Mandatory Encounter"). Fuck Arts Seal. That is all.

-Grand Jewel from Legend of Dragoon. First off, the Dragon Block Staff makes your Dragoon forms laughably weak. Second, it alters your levels (primarily by lowering them). Third, it heals for a huge amount of health once it gets low. All of this adds up to a boss that's no fun to fight.

-Lenus from the same game. She uses powerful spells that hit everyone, packs a physical attack... that hits everyone, and is incredibly fast, to the point where you shouldn't be surprised if she gets consecutive turns.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going through Xenoblade these days and it has a few candidates, such as round one against Xord in the Ether or the last fight with metal face

But the boss that gave me the most problems where the security mechon in the fight with face nemmesis. Those things where big, ganged up on me even with Reyn and Dunban drawing Aggro, inflicted bind and both the camara and the movement are awfull in that fight. I might have encountered a glitch or I sucked so bad that the game started to pity me. I've beaten that fight because the game only made two guard mechs notice me and the mission was completed when I destroyed those.

Jade face got down very easily for me though. Maybe I just suck at fighting against group bosses.

The spider boss in Dark Souls 2. It took me forever to beat it with my warrior, and still havent been able to with my wizard. Its the only part I dread about my ng+ playthrough is going against an even harder version of her. It wouldn't be so bad if there were no adds and no crazy lazer beam, but no Dark Souls cant just have a simple boss fight can they.

The orc chieftains in Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina DLC are a pain too. They have a ton of hit points, more so that the end boss of the dlc.

For Dungeon Travelers 2, I'll had Death 13. If you're not well prepared, you're gonna fall.
Death 13 attack twice a turn, have a skill that inflict massive damage and have high insta-kill(so basically, if you're hit by it, you have one lss character) and have the ever annoying Stun Grenade, that lower everyone's Hit% and can stun your party (meanng the character's turn is delayed by a lot.)

Couple that with Warning Shot (a passive ability that inflicts small damage and skip your turn), and you're here for a hard fight.

Durian King also counts. He's not particularily strong, but he's freaking hard to kill. He have Max Resistance to Physical Attack (and 50% Against all elements), he possese a skill that entirely negates all damages for a few turn, and he has a skill that reduces all your TP to 0, making you waste turns again

Edited by Tamanoir

Giant Shadow Bug Diddy Kong in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He takes up about half of the screen, for starters. He also hits like a goddamn elephant, and he's also every bit as fast as regular Diddy. Even worse, when you first go through the level you face him in, you're using three of the lighter characters in the game. AND you have to force this thing off the screen. Between she speed, power, and weight, that ain't gonna be easy; he'll likely make short work of your fighters before you can even get close to KOing him. And that's not even the half of it... He can pick up items, which scale to his ginormous size. Also, this. The kicker? Whilst giant characters are offset by being easier to send down bottomless trenches, that won't help you here; you fight this thing on a stage with no pits whatsoever.

Fell arm form Duke from Tales of Vesperia was really intense.

He was very fast and powerful. His two mystic artes were very painful (one of them heals him quite a lot).

Theoretically it could be an endless fight, because he can himself the entire time.

Could beat him in my very first attempt, but this boss form was really a challenge, a very nice challenge tbh.

And his battle theme was epic.

Well I was playing KOTOR 1 and 2 the past few weeks.

All I can say is the final boss in KOTOR 1 is such a bitch, making me go through a gauntlet of enemies and being so hard himself.

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. The thing with these bosses is that you have to beat them one on one. But those bosses always make their saving throws, so using force powers against them is next too impossible. So if your avatar isn't a powerful melee fighter, you've got a problem at your hands.

But what's particular bad about Malak is that if you don't have a force power to destroy the capsules, you might as well give up because he will be able to heal himself like a dozen times. (and from what I've heard, he even gets stronger every time he does that) Luckily, on my first playthrough I decided to keep my Avatar at lv 19. Of course, the actual idea was to level up mid-battle in order to restore my health and not to learn a new force power. Especially not a useless one like Lightsaber Throw.

I still ended up trying for quite a while to find an alternate way to destroy those capsules since I simply couldn't believe that I needed very specific force powers in order to have a chance at winning. And it's not like it should be hard to destroy these capsules by simply hitting them with normal attacks.

Edited by BrightBow

Fell arm form Duke from Tales of Vesperia was really intense.

He was very fast and powerful. His two mystic artes were very painful (one of them heals him quite a lot).

Theoretically it could be an endless fight, because he can himself the entire time.

Could beat him in my very first attempt, but this boss form was really a challenge, a very nice challenge tbh.

And his battle theme was epic.

Seconding this because the difficulty spike is just ugh. And given that it's the third in a series of fights, it's likely you've gone through a good deal of your item stock. And the fact he can hit you with pretty much every status effect in the game doesn't help. Even worse is the fact that in the PS3 version, Big Bang can kill, as opposed to leaving everyone at 1 HP.

How?

I played the PS3 version and it had the same effect like in the XBOX version.

That's what I read on TV Tropes, actually. But if you say so... it's Busted.

I saw in a video that Repede can dodge big bang with a skill, which makes him invisible for a very short time.

I also saw stuff of the sort. Though the one I saw was avoiding "NO! ITEMS!! EVER!!!"

Anyways, Schwann. He can do some nasty combos, and you're short the one good healer in the game.

The Lass in the Pika Cup of Pokemon Stadium. The Pika Cup features Pokemon between the levels 15-20 and the Lass packs a lv20 Tentacruel. It will slowly and agonizingly wittle your Pokemon's HP down with Wrap (which in the first generation prevented Pokemon from moving altogether, so if a faster Pokemon used it, you could only pray that it would eventually miss) until your Pokemon is weakened enough to be finished off with Surf. It's telling that her lv20 Gyrados with Dragon Rage is the lesser evil.

The Fisher from the same cup is not too hard as long as you can deal with his lv. 18 Dragonir with Wrap and Dragon Rage. But on Round 2, when he brings an lv. 20 Alakazam, shit gets real.

What makes these two so infuriating compared to other hard trainers in the game, is that the Pika Cup is supposedly meant to be for beginners. And a lot of the early trainers are embarrassingly weak, allowing you to get a lot of Continues with barely any effort. But at the end, the whole thing just turns into Munchkin Cup, as you face tons of barely legal or downright illegal Pokemon using utterly brutal tactics.

With gen 1 wrap you can ware down their pp by switching out so you only have to eat 20 individual wrap attacks, You can also use it for Lance's thunderwave as he tries starting with that whilst he still has wrap PP left, but I forget how much PP TW has, or if ithat's viable

With gen 1 wrap you can ware down their pp by switching out so you only have to eat 20 individual wrap attacks, You can also use it for Lance's thunderwave as he tries starting with that whilst he still has wrap PP left, but I forget how much PP TW has, or if ithat's viable

Lance? Don't you mean the Fisher?

Anyway, I am not sure if letting Wrap run out of PP is a viable option. I mean, they only needs to deal enough damage to finish the job with Dragon Rage. Or Surf, in the case of that Tentacruel.

Edited by BrightBow

Lance? Don't you mean the Fisher?

Anyway, I am not sure if letting Wrap run out of PP is a viable option. I mean, they only needs to deal enough damage to finish the job with Dragon Rage. Or Surf, in the case of that Tentacruel.

I was thinking of Lance in Gym Leader Castle, I forgot how effective Dragon Rage was in PIka, most I've done is to the final with rentals then the 20 alakazam/dragonair before they destroy my team

Erm, don't enemy trainers in Stadium have infinite PP anyhow?

I also saw stuff of the sort. Though the one I saw was avoiding "NO! ITEMS!! EVER!!!"

Anyways, Schwann. He can do some nasty combos, and you're short the one good healer in the game.

You mean Raven? Or Karol? Because Karol with only Nice Aid Smash is still better than Estelle at any given moment in the game.

Schwann is not a difficult boss at all. He's a goddamn pushover, even on Unknown. Catch him outside of a combo and he can't break out, even with Just Like Dancing. Plus, Yuri's just gotten Guardian Field and he can heal and hit Schwann repeatedly, allowing Rita to get in a spell or Repede/Judith to start a combo. Barbos is more of a challenge and you fought him a long time ago.

Just because you're bad at the game doesn't mean that a boss with a little bit of challenge is suddenly THAT ONE BOSS. That's what bothers me about this thread. A lot of people are just throwing out names because they're not actually good at said game.

My best example is Guillo from BKO (even though the Holoholo Bird comes close). If a boss makes you physically break things like controllers on your first playthrough of the game, he's THAT ONE BOSS. A good Final Fantasy example (and this is one that is going to resonate with people here to understand what I mean) would be Yunalesca from FFX.

Edited by Jim Moriarty

You mean Raven? Or Karol? Because Karol with only Nice Aid Smash is still better than Estelle at any given moment in the game.

Schwann is not a difficult boss at all. He's a goddamn pushover, even on Unknown. Catch him outside of a combo and he can't break out, even with Just Like Dancing. Plus, Yuri's just gotten Guardian Field and he can heal and hit Schwann repeatedly, allowing Rita to get in a spell or Repede/Judith to start a combo. Barbos is more of a challenge and you fought him a long time ago.

Just because you're bad at the game doesn't mean that a boss with a little bit of challenge is suddenly THAT ONE BOSS. That's what bothers me about this thread. A lot of people are just throwing out names because they're not actually good at said game.

My best example is Guillo from BKO (even though the Holoholo Bird comes close). If a boss makes you physically break things like controllers on your first playthrough of the game, he's THAT ONE BOSS. A good Final Fantasy example (and this is one that is going to resonate with people here to understand what I mean) would be Yunalesca from FFX.

Yeah, no, I can't agree with that at all. Karol's much too slow, and I already have a low opinion of area healing moves, especially when they're barely viable in the first place. Combine those two, and his viabilty as a healer is practically none. Raven, I might agree with, but for the fact that Love Shot at its best needs two hits to equal an apple gel (and as far as I know it can't target the same character multiple times in one use).

Seriously all early game bosses (before Raven joined) were way harder for me, because it lacked on a good healer for me.

Estelle's spellcasting took way too long till she could do first aid or fairy circle.

It was a huge problem against fast bosses like Gattuso.

Well, I was lucky to play the PS3 version, which gave me two excellent bonus units.

Flynn could do a similar skill to center and heal everyone, who was in the circle.

And Patty could imitate the other allies (not quite sure), she could use lots of Estelle's healing skills.

Yeah, no, I can't agree with that at all. Karol's much too slow, and I already have a low opinion of area healing moves. Combine those two, and his viabilty as a healer is practically none. Raven, I might agree with, but for the fact that Love Shot at its best needs two hits to equal an apple gel (and as far as I know it can't target the same character multiple times in one use).

This is why I'm saying that you're bad at this game. Because you refuse to agree with shit that is correct.

Both Nice Curing Smash and Love Shot are immediate artes that don't get interrupted. Nice Curing Smash heals 50% of max HP while Love Shot is 15% per arrow and targets the person with the lowest HP percentage. They're also better on TP. Oh and Love Shot CAN target the same character more than once. This is like you saying "Big Bang can kill". It's flat out wrong.

Want some proof? Nightingale heals 48% max HP (to the full party), needs a long incantation, can be interrupted and costs 55 TP. Nice Curing Smash is 50% max HP heal in a good sized radius, is instantaneous, can be aimed if you are even half decent at this game and costs 30 TP. Karol's "slow speed" is nothing compared to a fucking incantation.

Edited by Jim Moriarty

From Xenoblade X, Goetia from Chapter 4. I had a ton of trouble and I probably shouldn't have. But I got to make a Fiora lookalike in the game so it's all good.

Shadow Yosuke actually gave me more trouble than he should have. I'm currently starting Yukiko's Castle, but I used like three medicines during that fight. I think maybe I was too cautious about losing a ton of time. Didn't lose though.

Metal Face in Sword Valley in Xenoblade. No explanation needed :/

[spoiler=Ace Attorney spoiler]Does Damon Gant count as a boss? That one testimony where you have to press like 3 statements in order and then present. Rise from the Ashes was still the best case in the series, though Bridge to the Turnabout is pretty jammin

This is why I'm saying that you're bad at this game. Because you refuse to agree with shit that is correct.

Both Nice Curing Smash and Love Shot are immediate artes that don't get interrupted. Nice Curing Smash heals 50% of max HP while Love Shot is 15% per arrow and targets the person with the lowest HP percentage. They're also better on TP.

Want some proof? Nightingale heals 48% max HP (to the full party), needs a long incantation, can be interrupted and costs 55 TP. Nice Curing Smash is 50% max HP heal in a good sized radius, is instantaneous, can be aimed if you are even half decent at this game and costs 30 TP. Karol's "slow speed" is nothing compared to a fucking incantation.

yeah okay that's cool and all and I've never played a tales game so can't verify

but maybe people would listen to you if you weren't acting so mindlessly aggressive because I know that if I was Levant you'd be ignored post haste

yeah okay that's cool and all and I've never played a tales game so can't verify

but maybe people would listen to you if you weren't acting so mindlessly aggressive because I know that if I was Levant you'd be ignored post haste

It's difficult for me to take stupid people seriously. Especially those who just make shit up to cover for their inadequacies.

This is a post where I point out why Raven and Karol are so good. They both heal fast in a game where you actually need fast healing (I'm assuming that you've never played on Hard, never mind Unknown) and are incredibly good at their jobs if you understand how to work them. And both are better than Estelle by a country mile.