FE Mispronunciations That Stuck With You

Randoman

Are there any FE related mispronunciations that stuck with you or any fellow FE players you know of?

Bolognon I always have a tendency to mentally call baloney (as in, the meat that's stuck in sandwiches). It'd be pretty awesome if IS one day made a joke tome (in the same vein as the Ladle and Log) that flung flaming baloney towards the enemy.

Also, my younger siblings pronounced Eliwood as Eelwood (eel-wud) for whatever reason. I don't actually know the proper pronunciation of Eliwood (I personally pronounce it ehl-ee-wud), but I definitely know it's not eel-wud.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joke about using the baloney tome all the time. TBH I never bothered to try to pronounce it correctly. I mean it's just the baloney tome to me. To the point where baloney is associated with FE now.

Edited by Hatsuoki

Kjelle's name. I know it is pronounced like 'shell' but I still say it like K-L.

For some some reason I replaced the o's in Formortis with a's.

Wait, how is Renais even pronounced? O_o

Ephraim. It's supposed to be E-FRAME. Yeah, I don't pronounce it like that. :(

Also Shiida. Because what is sense in spelling.

EDIT: Also, how is Bolganone pronounced, exactly?

Edited by BlueLeafeon

radiant dawn is dumb

Oh yeah that voice acting trolled me too

Begnion

I always pronounced Bolganone Boll-ga-no-un but I don't know if it's right, although I think there's no confirmed pronunciation so it's not like I care really

Edited by Gradivus.

Wait, how is Renais even pronounced? O_o

Ephraim. It's supposed to be E-FRAME. Yeah, I don't pronounce it like that. :(

Also Shiida. Because what is sense in spelling.

EDIT: Also, how is Bolganone pronounced, exactly?

Renais is pronounced like the beginning/bold part of Renaissance,I think.Or at least that's how I say it.

I pronounce Bolganone like Bolganon and Fimbulveter as Flimbultver.Both of those are probably wrong especially Fimbulveter.

panne- pain i actually pronounced most things in FE right. I never had trouble with bolganone and the only reason i know fimbulveter is because of a mystic arte in tales of symphonia 2 also i pronounce aegis E jiss because of a spell chant in tales of the abyss which i am 90% sure has aegis in it and i think E jiss is the right pronunciation

Edited by Knight of Ratatosk

Well, I suppose I'll throw in my personal pronunciations for words that people brought up in this thread.

Renais: reh-nay

Kjelle: kjel

Fomortiis: foe-mor-tih-ihs

Geoffrey: jee-off-ree

Lycia: lih-see-uh

Ephraim: eff-rai-ahm

Shiida: shee-duh (seeing how Japan pronounced it that way in the anime and you can't really pronounce Sheeda any other way, which is the European version's spelling, that's what I stick with since it's shee-duh in the other two regions)

Bolganone: bowl-gah-nown

Bolognon I always have a tendency to mentally call baloney (as in, the meat that's stuck in sandwiches). It'd be pretty awesome if IS one day made a joke tome (in the same vein as the Ladle and Log) that flung flaming baloney towards the enemy.

Looks closer to Bolognese to me.

Which would be great as well.

I'm never sure if it's Ostia or Ositia.

Guy, I'm not quite sure, but I probably called him guee at some point, because it's... evident.

I pronounce Ephraim Eh-Frah/Fruh-Him.

I call Zephiel Zeh-Fih-Ehl, which apparently isn't right...

For, the pronounciation of "th", it depends... In FE7, i pronounced it "ss", for everyone, except matthew, which is "tt".

Seth is still Set, and Thany is Tany.

I pronounce Gilliam with a hard G like Garcia. Same with Gerik.

I pronounce the K in Knoll (and I pronoune Kjelle, well.. Kjelle. It's really hard to say.)

Caellach is either Kah(or Kuh? Same thing, basically)-Ellak, or Kah-ell(like Superman father, no?)-ash

I pronounce the K in Knoll.

Ismaire ends like, well "Albert" or "mousquetaire".

Lyon... well, like the French town.

For, the pronounciation of "th", it depends... In FE7, i pronounced it "ss", for everyone, except matthew, which is "tt".

Seth is still Set, and Thany is Tany.

I pronounce Gilliam with a hard G like Garcia. Same with Gerik.

Duessell, I separe each letter.

There's also some names I confuse with other :

I also always calls Celica, Cecilia.

I also already had some problem with Briggid that I call Brigitte, or Bridget.

Guinevere/Guenievre is pretty obvious, but still.

Tbh, it'd probably be easier to count the names that I do pronounce correctly. It's not like I talk with native English speakers irl often (and even less so about FE), so I can't really be assed to. Cherche is the worst, in whose case I usually just give up and go with "Kerkke".

Physic - I read it as Psychic for the longest time before I realized it wasn't. Honestly, I still read it as Psychic instead of Physic. There's probably a number of other things as well--like most territories/countries. I don't really try to pronounce crazy words when I'm simply reading them in my head; I just learn to recognize them.

Anecdote time:

I recently replayed FE7 to show my fiance the game/story/characters. That meant I sometimes read aloud as they were in another room or such. Anyway, I realized that I never really payed attention to how half the countries were pronounced and had simply come up with similar cool-sounding words in my head. In conclusion, my brain is quite lazy and must take a lot of shortcuts.

Physic - I read it as Psychic for the longest time before I realized it wasn't. Honestly, I still read it as Psychic instead of Physic. There's probably a number of other things as well--like most territories/countries. I don't really try to pronounce crazy words when I'm simply reading them in my head; I just learn to recognize them.

I do this too. Don't care that it's not correct, it is too stuck in my brain now.

I used to misremember the Gleipnir tome with a ph, as Glephnir. I have no idea how I came up with that one.

I read vulnerary as vulenary for the longest time.

You guys are breaking my brain. Until reading this thread, I thought they were Vulnary and Psychic. 12 years of playing this series and I never knew the truth.