GBA Desert Item Trick variants

Irysa

Credit to dondon151 for introducing me to these. I think he got them from beamcrash though.

1. Soft Reset > View Stats Page > Move onto Tile in vicinity of the item > Wait - Really easy and reliable

2. Soft Reset > Move onto Tile in vicinity of the item > Select "Item" (or Attack) 7 times in fairly quick rythmical sequence, then on the 8th selection use an item. - This is a little inconsistent. Note this will also work for using a Staff, although you have to delay a little on the 8th to make up for not moving your cursor to select an item.

3. (Only relevant for units that can canto) Do the above, but then immediately check the Status Screen for the same unit twice in quick succession, then move and wait on a tile in vicinity of a different item. - This is a little inconsistent.

4. Soft Reset > Move onto Tile in vicinity of the item > View Item/Staff Screen for 3 seconds > Exit the Item/Staff Screen > View Item/Staff Screen for 3 Seconds > Use Item/Staff - By far the most inconsistent.

EDIT: Updated for a video with all 4 techniques.

Edited by Irysa

This trick has nothing to do with the staff use at all, and everything to do with the secondary RNG that is used to determine desert items. The amount of time you have to spend in the item screen is different every time, so you can't rely on this method to do it. There's a guaranteed method for FE6 that involves resetting, checking a character's stat screen once, then you get the item, since the stat screen check advances the secondary RNG a fixed number each time.

I cleared most things up on IRC but I may as well cover it here.

This trick has nothing to do with the staff use at all, and everything to do with the secondary RNG that is used to determine desert items.

I realise that, and did not say it had to do with the staff use. I know it's to do with the item menu. The point was to try to demonstrate a way to get something resembling reliable timing for some other method. 3.25 seconds is a pain in the ass to hit, wheras two 3 seconds is much easier to time.

The amount of time you have to spend in the item screen is different every time, so you can't rely on this method to do it.

I can get this one like 6 out of 10 attempts, whilst the others listed (aside from the guaranteed one) are 7/10. It's certainly not AS reliable as the guaranteed one (which I did list in the opening post...) but they're doable enough to be relevant in circumstances where one would want to actually do something other than just move.

Also soft resetting resets the secondary RN string which is exactly why the first method is reliable anyway.

EDIT: GDI I went to reaffirm my timing for this and I've totally lost it. I bet I could get it back to that consistency if I grinded it I guess.

Edited by Irysa